IGNORED

What do You Think Is More Important? And Why?

firefighter2711
Note: This thread is 5714 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Keep your own scorecard, and on those rows for the other three players, keep track of fairways hit, greens in regulation, and putts. That was a HUGE eye opener. After a round, count up the number of putts per hole in excess of two. That's how many strokes you'll shave off if you focus hard on your putting. A whole lot easier and faster than mastering that 300 yard burner off the tee.
WITB
Driver--PING Rhapsody, 16*
Fairway Wood--PING Rhapsody 22*
Hybrids--Cobra Bafflers, 3 (23*), 6 (32*)
Irons--Callaway X-20, 7-AW SW--Wilson ProstaffLW--Nancy LopezPutter--Bettinardi HawkBalls--Pinnacle Gold DistanceBags--Datrek IDS (cart), Sun Mountain 3.5 (carry)

Alot of people have different beliefs about what should be concentrated on by new golfers. What is everyones take on what should you concentrate more on Getting your Driving down first or Iron shoots? Or Chipping and Pitching?

The answer is usually different depending on the newbie golfer. When I started playing lefty, the worst part of my game was pitching / chipping from 50 yds and in. I played baseball / softball for 30 yrs though so I had a previous swing based sport advantage.

I have a friend of mine just starting and he has a surprising pitch / chip game and putts decent. He hits his hybrid OK. He needs work on his driver and full irons. Only you can identify the weakest part of your game and that is what you need to focus on. Once you get decent, short game is the biggest focus as that is where anyone can usually take strokes off but that is pointless if it takes you 6 shots to get into chipping / putting range.

Taylormade TP 2010 9.5 Fubuki stiff
07 Burner 5W stiff

Adams F11 Ti 3W Adilia NVS Stiff
Bobby Jones 21* & 25* Hybrid
AP1 4-gw
CG14  60*::X forged Vintage 56* Ping b60 putter Balls: Bridgestone B330, ProV, Goals: Shot par over 18 holes, Best shot: Par 5 18th hole, Alling Memorial New haven CT; holed my 2nd shot for an Albatross! (June 20th, 2008)

70% pitching within 50 yards
10% putting
10% Chipping
5% short & mid irons
5% fairway and driver

your fundamental golf swing will be developed from your pitching and you will be able to hit your short, mid, long irons, fairway and driver.

If you score the following per round you will know where you need to practice:

1) fairway hit
2) green hit on regulation
3) putts per hole
4) up and down from around green
5) sand saves

Your practice time will be efficiently spend.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

I wished when I started playing that I had read more books, especially on putting. One of the things that has helped me tremendously are the keys to putting:

1) Alignment.
2) Trusting what you see.
3) Having a consistent pre-shot routine.
4) Relaxing and going through the ball.
5) Finish your stroke.

These are the same things that you should apply to every shot. Had I realized this I believe I would have gotten better, sooner.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

Once you get decent, short game is the biggest focus as that is where anyone can usually take strokes off but that is pointless if it takes you 6 shots to get into chipping / putting range.

Exactly. Thats why the first thing a newbie should learn is how to hit a decent full iron shot.

Like you said, the best short game in the world isnt going to do you much good if it takes you 6 shots to get there. Take me for example, my short game is pretty good and my putting is excellent (I almost never 3-putt), but I sometimes struggle with pushing my iron shots and I slice the heck out of my driver and 3-wood and voila, Im a 34 handicap.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

For someone just beginning to play, I believe they should first focus on developing some sort of full swing they can reasonably repeat. I don't mean developing a perfect, powerful swing - just something they can keep the ball inbounds with from the tee box and use to work their way down the fairway. Start with a half swing and gradually lengthen it as their comfort level increases. Nothing in golf is more frustrating than losing ball after ball.

From there, they should work on the short game and putting until the full swing is really holding up their progress. I have found that working extensively on chipping and pitching will generally improve the full swing since the takeaway, impact, and tempo are all being rehearsed.

On one of the episodes of "Playing Lessons from the Pros" on the Golf Channel, the pro said something along the lines of "If you work on your driver and your chipping, the irons just kinda work themselves out." For the most part I think that is pretty solid advice (taking into account differences in ball position, etc.).
Callaway FT-9 Tour I-mix 9.5° Driver (Fujikura Zcom Pro 65 stiff)
Mizuno F-50 15° 3w (Exsar FS2 stiff)
Bridgestone J36 19° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro 23° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro Forged 5-pw Irons (DG Black Gold stiff)Nike SV Tour Black Satin...

Alot of people have different beliefs about what should be concentrated on by new golfers. What is everyones take on what should you concentrate more on Getting your Driving down first or Iron shoots? Or Chipping and Pitching?

In my opinion, a beginner should start with a moderately lofted club like a 7 or 8 iron and learn to swing with it. They should not pick up ANY other club until they can consistently make solid contact with the ball EVERY TIME they swing at it.

PUTTING.

You can recover from a bad tee shot. You can recover from a bad approach shot. You can recover from a bad chip, pitch, or bunker shot. But there is no recovery from a missed 4 foot putt. That's just an extra stroke on the scorecard.

In my bag:

Driver: r7 460 9.5° Stiff
3 Wood: r7 Draw
5 Wood: r7 Draw Irons 4-AW: r7 CGB Wedge: rac Satin 54° Wedge: rac Satin 60° Putter: Daytona Sport 1 34" Ball: DT solo or NXT

Build a good swing first. Get it on plane and work on good ball striking. Go to the range with a 6 iron and work on nothing but building a solid and reproducible swing. Pick a target at a distance that is consistent with your SS and work on accuracy and trajectory. Once your fundamentals are solid work on your short game....putting, putting, putting and wedge play. Work on wedges at the chipping green from different lies. Above the feet, below, on the edge of first cut, in the rough, uphill and downhill. Practice using an 8 iron around the green, practice a SW. Then work 100 in. Each session always begin with the 6, be sure your new swing is still on plane, making good contact and reproducible. Once you have mastered this, try a tee shot at the range utilizing the same tempo as your six. Pick out a spot (be realistic) and work most on accuracy and trajectory. Put it in play and you're money.

----------------------------
WITB:
Ping G10 9* Axis 75-S
Ping G10 15.5* - PL Red
Ping G10 18.5* - TFCTitleist AP2 3-P - Aldila Proto TTitleist Vokey 252 - 8 DGTitleist Vokey SM 60 - 8 DG Ever changing!

I am very new to golf and love the fact that its a different game for everyone. Some people are driver, pitchers, putters, better in the bunkers etc.... I noticed yesterday that I would have to agree with the Chipping and putting then the putting, Iron shots then woods/drivers.

You can take a pretty crapy drive off the tee follow it up with a decent iron shot...Now if you can get a great shot with the pw youll get right next to the hole. I had a shot with my pw on the just a foot or two outside the fringe of a 20 ft green hit the bottom base of the flag(if it wasnt there I would have birdied the hole.) Very next hole same thing down in two, my pw didnt bail me out, horrible horrible shot.(already made it down in three before that shot) Had to chip it onto the green then 3 putted for a total of 7. Just my two cents. I can see where chipping and putting will lead to better iron shots leading to more confidence and more enjoyment

IMO, the order of importance is:

1. Putting
2. Chipping/Pitching
3a/b. Shots inside 100 yards
3a/b. Driving
Irons - midrange game

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think it really depends on how new to the game the newbie is. If they have never stepped foot on a course, then they should begin with irons and lessons with an instructor. Once they can advance the ball on a fairly repeatable basis, the short game is where the focus should be shifted.

I see some recommendations on here pointing a newbie to the short game. A little confusing to me. What good does it do you if you can putt lights out, but it is usually for a 7 or 8? If your tee to green game is not fairly repeatable, it doesn't matter how good a putter you are.

R9 460 9.5
R9 3-Wood
Irons AP1 4-PW
Wedge X-Forged 62*, 56*, 50*
Studio Select 34" MS Newport 2 TP Red

Neither. Putting. No one wants to believe it, but putting wins championships - or for a newbie, putting means beating your friends.

I agree. I think that the game should be learned from green to tee. Get your putting down because if you can't putt your never going to be able to score.

it is my

opinion that these people can't remember what it is like to learn the game... sure you should find a comfortable putting stroke and understand how to "read" a green... but putting will come later. What fun is it being a great putter if you take 10 shots to get to each green. The reason putting and chipping wins championships is because everyone is at a certain level with other areas of the game. Needless to say a beginer is NOT at this level and should learn to actually strike a ball properly off the tee, fairway, etc. before working on the finer points such as half wedges and lag putting.
Irons.Irons.Irons.

Full shots (driver and irons). You use the same swing to make it simple.

I pretty much agree here... maybe visit the putting green when you start getting consistent at regular shots.

My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

I think it really depends on how new to the game the newbie is. If they have never stepped foot on a course, then they should begin with irons and lessons with an instructor. Once they can advance the ball on a fairly repeatable basis, the short game is where the focus should be shifted.

BINGO... this was my point exactly... I just don't understand what in the hell some of these people are thinking saying you should learn to putt first... what good is it if you can't hit a shot in the air with a wood or hit 75% of iron shots poorly.

My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

I think hitting the driver is the most important. Score-wise it's not but most people start playing because they want to hit a golf ball a long way. When I was starting I would take a 115 with 10 straight 265 yard drives over 105 with better putting and chipping. On those days where I sliced, hooked, topped, swung and missed, and shanked my driver shots I felt like quitting, and came close to it. Finally I got my driving down and I got really into golf. What finally got me way into golf was last fall I was playing with a slight tail wind and downhill, I jacked one 350 yards (honestly). I outdrove everyone in my group by 100+ yards (They stopped right at the top of the hill). Even though I went on to bogey that hole, it was one of the coolest feelings ever. Once you get interested in golf then worry about lowering your score with putting and chipping. But, overall as a beginner you need to have fun and I think hitting the ball a long way is the most fun.

Carry Bag
Hyper-X 9 Degree Stiff
Redline 13 Degree Stiff
Halo 19 Degree Hybrid Stiff
BH-5 3-PW Stiff SV Tour 52 Degree Stiff Rac Chrome 56 Degree Stiff Scotty Cameron Oil Can Santa Fe 33" Burner

OTM. New player should learn how to hit the ball with their irons first, then worry about scoring. The pleasure of the game is to be able to propel the ball from one spot to another. A duffed shot is no fun at all. I'd rather hit a decently struck shot into trouble or OB than duff it.

Chipping and putting is about scoring anyway, and new players shouldn't worry about score, only about impact.

Golf, like the measles, should be caught young, for, if postponed to riper years, the results may be serious. ~P.G. Wodehouse

Note: This thread is 5714 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!