IGNORED

LPGA to require English proficiency

Q.Q.Quillume
Note: This thread is 4206 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

its not about taking american money. it's about speaking the language that your EMPLOYER wants you to speak.

Did you even read my post? As others already pointed out, the issue was that LPGA wanted them to learn the language, be tested, and get kicked out if they don't pass. I have absolutely no problem with encouraging them to learn. As a matter of fact, LPGA's Kolon cross-cultural program has been sponsored by a Korean company. I'm even okay with fines. Heck I'm okay with implementing quota limiting the number of Korean players. How is that a race card?

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that the LPGA has rescinded that policy for the moment, the real question is: why does the Board keep Carolyn Bivens as Commissioner? This fiasco is just another to be added to the "list" on her. In private business, she would have been fired long ago.

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

I think all Biven's was trying to do was improve the LPGA. She's doing well but this could have been handled much much better. You schedule a press conference and outline what you are trying to accomplish, not have a private meeting and have it leak out. And during the heat, she was on "vacation" and unreachable for comment. Seriously, if your company has this PR fiasco, you come back to work and reschedule your vaca.

But all in all, I think her motives were genuine and had the LPGA's best interest at heart.

in my EDGE bag:

10.5* XLS HiBore Driver, Fuji stiff VP70
15* XLS HiBore 3 Wood Gold stiff
22*, 25* XLS HiBore 3H, 4H, Gold stiff MP-57 5-PW, DG S300 MP-R 52 gap, MP-R 56 sandwedge SM Vokey 60 Lob Newport 2 Detour Pro-V1X, NXT Tour, Callaway Tour iXIgolf NEO GPS

I think all Biven's was trying to do was improve the LPGA. She's doing well but this could have been handled much much better. You schedule a press conference and outline what you are trying to accomplish, not have a private meeting and have it leak out. And during the heat, she was on "vacation" and unreachable for comment. Seriously, if your company has this PR fiasco, you come back to work and reschedule your vaca.

You are right---Ms. Bivens' intentions were good, but the policy was mishandled. I wonder if the Board knew what was going on, since it has now resulted in embarrassment for the Tour.

You are right---Ms. Bivens' intentions were good, but the policy was mishandled. I wonder if the Board knew what was going on, since it has now resulted in embarrassment for the Tour.

ditto, her intentions were good about trying to get folks to learn english, how could she have known there was going to be a public uproar about players getting suspended for not knowing english?

They will beat their swords into golf clubs and their spears into putters. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. Old Tom Morris 2:4

gbk-

I like watching the LPGA especially Lorena. I am amazed with how much power she can generate. Was never a big fan of Anika or Se Ri Park. I am a little tired of waiting for Paula or Natalie to do something significant. I like Morgan Pressel and am really waiting for someone exciting to come to the LPGA. I have followed some of the Korean players in the KLPGA and they have some players that are good and play with a lot of heart. I also watch a little of the European Ladies Tour but do not really know any of the golfers. I also like Michelle Wie.

With the initial LPGA proposed language requirement, I probably would have either stopped watching or watched a lot less. I would have just watched more KLPGA and European Ladies Tour.
In my bag:

Driver: R7 SuperQuad
Woods: RPM LP 3W & 5W
Irons: MX-25 4-SWPutter: Detour

ditto, her intentions were good about trying to get folks to learn english, how could she have known there was going to be a public uproar about players getting suspended for not knowing english?

In my opinion, if Ms. Bivens had "kicked this idea" around with the Board, one or more Board members would have volunteered to speak to Se Ri Pak and other foreign golfers (Japanese, etc) to see what their reaction was and get their input. When a policy is directed toward certain groups, who are significant to the possible success of the organization, it is better to get them to "buy into it" BEFORE making it a policy and TELLING them what is to happen.

Such an approach would have avoided the bad publicity and relations that have now resulted.

• 4 years later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbk56 View Post
None

Your opinion is incorrect. Read title VII

Title VII of the 1964 Civil Rights Act prohibits employment discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, or national origin.

Nice try, but employers are certainly allowed to insist their employees speak English.  For that matter, they're even allowed to insist their contractors speak English.

Originally Posted by julie_m

Here's what else isn't helping: comparing ladies to the heaping slices of deli meat behind the glass case at the grocery. Gulbis' "adventures in photoshop" isn't helping. (I'm about to say something not PC again...) Want more Americans on tour? Leaving our girls overlooked in sports programs and overlooked in golf courses isn't helping. Making them think they can't be curvy or have a funny facial mole to be a star isn't helping.

It's an unfortunate fact of life that people would prefer to see physically attractive people.  While Jason Dufner is a great golfer, who do you think the PGA would rather have - a tour full of Jason Dufner's or a tour full of Rory McIlroy's?  They'd take Rory in a heartbeat. If you asked 10,000 women who'd they'd rather see play golf, how many are going to pick a Craig Stadler type over Rory?

I certainly agree that there shouldn't be anything which prevents great golfers from getting to the tour, regardless of their physical shape, but it's simply wishful thinking to think that men aren't going to enjoy watching a beautiful woman play golf, or women aren't going to enjoy watching a cute guy.

Does anyone here have a high level of confidence in predicting who a woman will consider cute? I suspect that Dufner fits the bill for many of the fairer sex, esp. when he's sticking approach shots and dropping putts as he's been doing lately.:-)

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Note: This thread is 4206 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!