IGNORED

LPGA to require English proficiency

Q.Q.Quillume
Note: This thread is 4200 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

But if they are going to be a member of the LPGA and make a living here in the U.S. then damn right they ought to learn the language. That goes for anyone. I get so tired of having to explain 5 times what I want to eat then they have to go get a manager who barely speaks english better than they do (OK, so it doesn't happen ALL the time, but it has, more than once). And if by chance the LPGA goes by the wayside because of this decision, and if the American ladies have to join the tour overseas, then damn straight they better learn the language if that's where they are going to make their living. But not if they are only playing an event or two then be coming back here to continue on the LPGA.

Small,

Respectfully, what does ordering food have to do with playing golf? Have you ever played golf with someone who neither spoke English or struggled with it? How much explaining did you have to do? How much talking did you do with them that somehow affected you? I ask because I hardly speak to my playing partners. Other than "nice shot" "nice putt" and introducing myself at the first tee, conversation is minimal. I've read about how important the Pro-Ams are. Well, the world's greatest player hardly participates in them and has a disdain for them. Anyone forcing him to participate? When he does, he's speaks, little. Other players have been know to go the entire Pro-Am without saying much. Again, if the issue is giving interviews, then say so. Find an interpreter, at the cost of the player, until she is comfortable speaking English. If the Tour is serious about this, then do what many baseball teams do throughout the world: provide free English classes.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is America. We speak more than English, here. If you want to bring social significance and history into the equation, then we should all learn how to speak a Native American Indian language.

I never said they should NOT be allowed to speak Korean, as long as they learn some English too. I really don't care what someone speaks or how many languages they know, as long as the language of the country they are currently living in is one of them. I just think its a shame that people come here to take advantage of benefits that are not available in their home country but don't have the respect to learn the language. You can't have it both ways. You want the perks then put in the work. You want the benefits of living here, then show you are respectful of the opportunity and learn the language. This goes not only for golf but for all sports, and anyone from a foreign country that wants to take advantage of America. Talk about distasteful, you like this country enough to come here and benefit from it but can't be bothered to learn to speak English? Give me a break.

I should have been more clear and written the best professional or top professional league. Like the PGA, the best tournaments and a vast majority of the world's best players are here.

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

Junk-

This comes from the Golfweek story:

Betsy Clark, LPGA vice president of professional development, said the players will be evaluated by a core team on communication skills such as conversation, survival (i.e. "I'm going to the store.") and "golfspeak." Players must be able to conduct interviews and give acceptance speeches without the help of a translator.

LPGA members are encouraged to use the support systems already in place such as the Kolon-LPGA Cross-Cultural Professional Development Program and the Rosetta Stone online language program. In addition to helping players grasp the language, the Kolon program also helps bridge cultural differences and focuses on the LPGA's Five Points of Celebrity: Appearance, Relevance, Approachability, Joy/Passion and Performance.
My Equipment:
Northwestern 3-, 5-, 7- and 9-wood;
Goldwin AVDP Irons (5-10 plus PW);
U.S. Golf 60 degree wedge;
See-More Putter; Bushnell Yardage Pro 1000 Rangefinder;Golflogix GPS.

Respectfully, what does ordering food have to do with playing golf?

Nothing. It has to do with speaking the language of the country in which you are earning a living.

And let's not forget, if a Country Club (a private entity) can enforce dress codes, decide who can be a member and who can't, etc., why can't the LPGA (again, a private entity) enforce their own rules? This is what they decided to do.
My Equipment:
Northwestern 3-, 5-, 7- and 9-wood;
Goldwin AVDP Irons (5-10 plus PW);
U.S. Golf 60 degree wedge;
See-More Putter; Bushnell Yardage Pro 1000 Rangefinder;Golflogix GPS.

Talk about distasteful, you like this country enough to come here and benefit from it but can't be bothered to learn to speak English? Give me a break.

And golf is not benefiting from them being here? The amount of Koreans and Mexicans that attend events because they're being represented has increased because they are here.

You say they can't be bothered. How do you know that? English was never required. This is the point that you are missing. You keep saying that they are "working" here and should learn the language. They "work" here anywhere between 60 and 70 days. (Tourneys, actual made cuts plus the amount of days) Combine those amounts of days with the fact that English was not a requirement and where is there motivation? If you had to work for me and I sent you to Spain 60-70 days a year and Spanish was not a requirement, would it be fair of anyone to say "You can't be bothered to speak Spanish. You come here and benefit and this is how you respond?"

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

...There is only one professional women's league. It happens to be here...

Absolutely FALSE . There are other women's professional golf tours: Ladies European Tour, LPGA of Japan Tour, LPGA of Korea Tour, Ladies Asian Golf Tour & Australian Ladies Professional Golf Tour and, perhaps, more.

Absolutely FALSE

See my post a few responses before this. I corrected my statement.

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

• Administrator

I can't believe nobody's made this joke yet:

No wonder Michelle Wie hasn't attempted to qualify for the LPGA Tour! Okay, I'm poking a little fun at the nerves she's shown recently in interviews... I'll read more on this and post again later, but my initial reactions are:
  • Good for Bivens. Tough to get your biggest market (the U.S.) to give a rat's behind about a tour when you can't tell a good portion of the top players apart. Interviews help an audience connect with the players.
  • Good luck to Bivens in enforcing this. Perhaps the definition of "proficient" is lax enough, but yeah... Good luck.
I've read about how important the Pro-Ams are. Well, the world's greatest player hardly participates in them and has a disdain for them.

Tiger plays in one at every PGA Tour stop with them. Not sure what you're getting at here. He avoids the celebrity events (like the AT&T; at Pebble, the Bob Hope), but I can't fault him for those, and those aren't the "pro-ams" you're talking about.

He's required to play in them in order to remain a member of the PGA Tour.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Tiger plays in one at every PGA Tour stop with them. Not sure what you're getting at here. He avoids the celebrity events (like the AT&T; at Pebble, the Bob Hope), but I can't fault him for those, and those aren't the "pro-ams" you're talking about.

Thanks for the clarification. I was referring to exactly those but I did not realize they are not classified as "pro-ams." I read, here, might have been you and elsewhere that he did not like those events and rarely participates.

Back on topic, again, how can anyone get mad at someone who's job did not require them to speak English? That makes no sense to me.

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

Teach the US born how to act like Arnold Palmer and smile and wave would help also. Rochester, NY is a major league golf city. They know golf there and have the most holes of golf per capita.

While watching the 9th at Locust Hill, I noticed every player received a nice hand from the gallery and every player stared at the center of the green and never smiled or waved. I have been to Duramed stops because they don't know better than that, I haven't been back to an LPGA stop since. I bought the tickets. Why not act as if you might like that we are here instead of regarding the spectators as a major nuisance to you lovely importance

Taylormade Driver HT
Taylormade 3 HT

Mcgregor 7w
Vulcan irons 5-P
Solus 53 61

Vokey 56

Scotty Caneron Flange/ Ping Cushin

Srixon ZStar

71 gold tees

bring cash

I still say that anyone that works here - and that means profits financially in any way- should speak the language. If you come to American to profit from the freedom and improved quality of life we have here, you should respect it enough to learn English. There is no valid argument against this period.

I still say that anyone that works here - and that means profits financially in any way- should speak the language. If you come to American to profit from the freedom and improved quality of life we have here, you should respect it enough to learn English. There is no valid argument against this period.

Well said, my thoughts exactly.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

Back on topic, again, how can anyone get mad at someone who's job did not require them to speak English? That makes no sense to me.

You continue to completely miss the point. For the LPGA to be successful and continue to draw viewership their players MUST be able to communicate and be likeable. People have to care about the people playing. Do people in America care about the ladies asian tour? No. Why? Well because we don't relate to them because they don't speak our language and we couldn't care less about how they do. The golf is the same.

It is not a political thing at all. This is not about someones right to speak their own language. It is about a private entity, The LPGA Tour, trying their best to make sure they put a product out there that makes people want to watch. I know when I turn on the LPGA tour and Paula Creamer or Cristie Kerr is in the lead I watch when its Na Ri Kim or Soo-Yun Kang or whatever I keep on channel surfing because who cares if they win.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

"Something smells funny..and it's not my finger." -Lee Myun Bak (S.Korean President)

--

"The LPGA will require players to speak English starting in 2009, with players who have been LPGA members for two years facing suspension if they can’t pass an oral evaluation of English skills . The rule is effective immediately for new players."

Skills?.....skills?....we don't need no stinking skills?

I know when I turn on the LPGA tour and Paula Creamer or Cristie Kerr is in the lead I watch when its Na Ri Kim or Soo-Yun Kang or whatever I keep on channel surfing because who cares if they win.

So you won't watch because a player does not speak English? Or you don't watch because she does not look like you? Or you don't watch because if she's not American, well, then, who cares?

Would you watch if the Koreans spoke English? Just curious.

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

Would you watch if the Koreans spoke English? Just curious.

only in the sense that we would get to know the players better. how many people didn't know about golf before Tiger? bad example, maybe. but knowing the players better, getting live interviews with them right after the big moments, would be better overall for the LPGA. it needs more depth, at least more characters.

by the way, Christina Kim(yes i know she's American) isn't the greatest female golfer by any stretch of the imagination(although pretty darn good), not the sexiest either, but listen to one of her interviews. she's a hoot! i stayed tuned for her comments. now if the LPGA could get more personalities from the non-English speaking players, it could only help the ladies tour.

My Blog

I'm a big LPGA fan but think this is wrong, wrong, wrong. I can only hope the meda spun this the wrong way. Why would the LPGA even set this up as punitive? If they were going to do it at all, why not do it as a big perk/incentive: we're going to work with you to help you communicate and manage better in the U.S. That's the way to do it. Now they have a mess on their hands, and they're welcome to it.

As a fan, what's hard for me in following many of the Asian-born players is that their names aren't familiar to western ears. How many of us really can distinguish Yani Tseng from In Bee Park from N.Y. Choi? (I can, but only because I've walked courses behind them.) But it can be hard to keep them straight. So what's the LPGA gonna do about that--make everyone adopt a western-sounding moniker? One player did adopt Sarah Lee, and that was just silly.
WITB
Driver--PING Rhapsody, 16*
Fairway Wood--PING Rhapsody 22*
Hybrids--Cobra Bafflers, 3 (23*), 6 (32*)
Irons--Callaway X-20, 7-AW SW--Wilson ProstaffLW--Nancy LopezPutter--Bettinardi HawkBalls--Pinnacle Gold DistanceBags--Datrek IDS (cart), Sun Mountain 3.5 (carry)

Note: This thread is 4200 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!