IGNORED

WITB Photo Edition!

On March 27, 2016 at 11:59 PM, mvmac said:

Little "hotter" than the i irons (I added a brief description to my last post). Always wanted to play a set of G irons but all the previous models launched too high and I didn't like the look at address. I really like the blade length and offset of the new G's, reminds me of the i3 irons. Toplines are a little thick for my liking but more "tour" looking than past models.

Not sure if I'll stick with these long term or go back to the i irons but so far so good.

I like the way all of new Ping's look.  I think this is by far the best looking G series irons Ive seen.  Its good to hear that you like them. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 4 weeks later...

I thought it might be interesting to post pictures of the clubs we use. This is what's currently in my bag

IMG_0867.JPG

• Upvote 1

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

4 hours ago, 9wood said:

I thought it might be interesting to post pictures of the clubs we use. This is what's currently in my bag

IMG_0867.JPG

I thought for sure you would have 25 clubs in there...

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

43 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

I thought for sure you would have 25 clubs in there...

Besides the ones I already sold, the ones I don't use are in my second bag.  This picture is of the clubs I currently am using. There are 6 clubs in this bag which I did'nt have last year and I am working at getting use to these 6 new additions

• 2 weeks later...

20160506_231623.jpg

My new addition to the bag... Sorry Alina picked out the color.

Pink Cure RX2 putter

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

20160508_001006.jpgUpdate:

The 4, 5, and 6 irons are out

Replaced with Tour Edge Exotics EX9 hybrids 4 (22°), 5 (25°), and 6 (28°) with UST Mayima Recoil F5 X-Flex shafts.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

On 3/27/2016 at 9:59 PM, mvmac said:

Not sure if I'll stick with these long term or go back to the i irons but so far so good.

I switched back to the i irons a month ago and have been hitting more greens and shooting lower scores. I don't notice much difference with distance but I hit the i irons more solid and my start line control is better compared to the G's.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• 2 months later...

Been a while since I posted WITB, so thought it'd be good to update:

G30 driver and 5 wood, Titleist 915H hybrid, Mizuno JPX 850 forged, Vokey 56.14 and 58.12 wedges and SC Newport 2.  I am going to replace the 56 with a 54IMG_0126.JPG

Edited by Jmdmbike

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

i have 2015 top flite xl driver and 3 wood, controller tee shot driving iron, ben hogan apex grind irons, a random 68* wedge and a 2015 top flite xl putter, and a titleist dci 990 2 iron

P7310818.JPG

P7310819.JPG

P7310820.JPG

• 6 months later...

I made a few changes going into this season. I'm excited to give the new sticks a go. I'm going to be able to play tomorrow which is amazing considering its February in Wisconsin.

Driver-TaylorMade M1 Aldila Rouge Black Stiff 60g

3 wood TaylorMade M1 Aldila Rouge Black Stiff 60g

3 Hybrid- TaylorMade M2 19° Aldila Rouge Black 85g

Irons- 4-pw Mizuno MP 54 KBS Tour

Wedges- 50,54,58 Ping glide wedge SS grind.

Putter- Edel Torque Balanced 

Ball- Snell My Tour 

1487396368546.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Updated WITB.

Few changes. I went back to a G30 driver, previous one was a 10.5°, now using a 9°. Did some testing with my G and G30 on Trackman and for whatever reason I hit the G30 more solid and consistently more in the center of the face compared to the G. Both had the same shaft and were the same length.

Switched from the iE1 irons to the i200's, big fan of these irons. They look clean at address but have some nice forgiveness to them. PING also added some bounce so they feel great through the turf. I went with the Power Spec lofts, the stock lofts are a little weaker compared to the iE1 irons so I wanted to keep them on the "stronger" side of the spectrum and I like the gapping better. Marty Jertson also recommended I go Power Spec cause that's what he does ;-) Good news is that they still fly plenty high, bounce doesn't get screwed up or add noticeable offset at address.

Kind of up in the air on what fairway and hybrid to use. I think for the short term I'll be using the BB Alpha 816 fairway and 20° Apex hybrid. Was using the G fairway and it's works fine but I'm not in love with it. I think I screwed up with the shaft I had put in there, it's the stock blue one and the overall club feels too light.

Always looking for a good fairway wood, haven't had one that I've really liked since the TaylorMade V Steel or Callaway Steelhead III (if anyone remembers those). I might check out the M2 fairway or the Epic or re-shaft the G.

For the hybrid I was using a 4-Crossover (21°) but with my new i200 4-iron being 22° it might make sense to go to a slightly stronger hybrid. The Apex is also stupid easy to hit and launches high without ballooning. I also have a 3-Crossover that was bent to 19° but that has more of a penetrating flight.

Sticking with the same wedges and putter. Probably the longest I've ever had a putter in the bag. This B60 just fits my eye really well,

• 9° G30, 45.25" PING Tour Stiff 65
  • 16° BB 816 Alpha, stiff stock Aldila
  • 20° Callaway Apex Hybrid, stock Kuro Kage stiff
  • i200 4-W, CFS stiff, red color code, standard length
  • Glide Wedges, CFS stiff, 50° red, 55° red, 60° purple, standard length
  • B65 Cadence TR, 34.25", Orange color code, loft is 2°
  • Snell My Tour Ball or B330Rx
  • PURE Midsize DTX green grips

Screen_Shot_2017-03-13_at_8_14.50_AM.png

Screen_Shot_2017-03-13_at_10_19.54_PM.png

• Upvote 2

Mike McLoughlin

1 hour ago, mvmac said:

Updated WITB.

Few changes. I went back to a G30 driver, previous one was a 10.5°, now using a 9°. Did some testing with my G and G30 on Trackman and for whatever reason I hit the G30 more solid and consistently more in the center of the face compared to the G. Both had the same shaft and were the same length.

Switched from the iE1 irons to the i200's, big fan of these irons. They look clean at address but have some nice forgiveness to them. PING also added some bounce so they feel great through the turf. I went with the Power Spec lofts, the stock lofts are a little weaker compared to the iE1 irons so I wanted to keep them on the "stronger" side of the spectrum and I like the gapping better. Marty Jertson also recommended I go Power Spec cause that's what he does ;-) Good news is that they still fly plenty high, bounce doesn't get screwed up or add noticeable offset at address.

Kind of up in the air on what fairway and hybrid to use. I think for the short term I'll be using the BB Alpha 816 fairway and 20° Apex hybrid. Was using the G fairway and it's works fine but I'm not in love with it. I think I screwed up with the shaft I had put in there, it's the stock blue one and the overall club feels too light.

Always looking for a good fairway wood, haven't had one that I've really liked since the TaylorMade V Steel or Callaway Steelhead III (if anyone remembers those). I might check out the M2 fairway or the Epic or re-shaft the G.

For the hybrid I was using a 4-Crossover (21°) but with my new i200 4-iron being 22° it might make sense to go to a slightly stronger hybrid. The Apex is also stupid easy to hit and launches high without ballooning. I also have a 3-Crossover that was bent to 19° but that has more of a penetrating flight.

Sticking with the same wedges and putter. Probably the longest I've ever had a putter in the bag. This B60 just fits my eye really well,

So will the G driver make an appearance in a Masters contest give away? :beer:

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

5 hours ago, mvmac said:

Updated WITB.

Mike,

Why purple dot in your 60° wedge? Is that 2.25° flat as opposed to red (.75° flat) or orange (1.5° flat).

Do you think the head size in today's fairways have gotten out of control? I have a Steelhead III driver with a Memphis 10 shaft I can hit off the deck. 

I actually almost switched from Exotics to PING in the irons (though I wouldn't have gotten i200's I was looking at i25's and the archaic Eye 2's that still have the patent pending in the cavity)

Maybe you should try an Exotics Fairway even tour pros are starting to notice.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

8 hours ago, mvmac said:

Updated WITB.

Hey Mike! My current instructor also switched to the i200's and said pretty much what you said. You stated you have the CFS Stiff? I was curious what you think about the Project X rifle in 5/6? Any reason why you prefer the CFS? I've made some substantial swing changes and I'm really striking the ball well but something seems off with my Callaway Steelheads...horrible clank sound whenever I hit a real pure shot....any way....I've always liked ping (S55/Anser). I'm gonna hit the i200's in a couple weeks and wanted a little more of your evaluation. Thanks Mike!

Edited by Vinsk

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

5 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

Why purple dot in your 60° wedge? Is that 2.25° flat as opposed to red (.75° flat) or orange (1.5° flat).

Purple is 1.5° flat. I've always gone flatter with my weak sand wedge/lob wedge. Works better when you've got to lower the handle for bunker shots or high pitch/lob shots.

ping_colorcode_e.jpg

Do you think the head size in today's fairways have gotten out of control? I have a Steelhead III driver with a Memphis 10 shaft I can hit off the deck. 

I don't really mind the larger heads, I like some forgiveness with my woods, especially off the deck, I just wished they looked a little cleaner. 

Seems like you basically get two choices now, the tour model that has a small head and is designed for higher swing speeds or the large head designed to launch it high and has a closed face at address. I'm looking for something in between. 

Maybe you should try an Exotics Fairway even tour pros are starting to notice.

I have an older one from a review I did, it's good, shaft is really long though and it's only 43 grams.

3 hours ago, Vinsk said:

You stated you have the CFS Stiff? I was curious what you think about the Project X rifle in 5/6? Any reason why you prefer the CFS?

It's the shaft I've used in my irons for the past 4 years (might be 6 years). I was at PING a couple years ago testing all the shafts and the CFS worked the best for me. Before that I used KBS Tours, similar feel, lighter than Dynamic Gold and softer feeling.

I know the Project X makes good shafts, all depends on how it fits your launch conditions. From what I've heard they feel more "boardy" than a DG or KBS and launch the ball a little lower than a KBS Tour or CFS. You probably know this but the Project X shafts are one of the custom shafts you can order from PING at no extra cost.

Mike McLoughlin

I don't change my stuff nearly as often as I used to...these irons and gap wedge have been in the bag since about '06, the 3 wood I've played since '99 and the hybrids have been with me a while too.  Newer driver and lob wedge, and I sometimes switch my sand wedge out. I'm not afraid to change putters, and have about 5 or 6 on stand by just in case...

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead + 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro Tour Proto Hybrids 20* & 23* w/ Aldila VS Proto
Bridgestone j33 CB Irons 5-PW w/ Original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52* w/ Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone j40 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot #9

58c90ad25c104_photocontest5.thumb.jpg.9c1354e475e332932fae3835e2104e1b.jpg

witb_2.jpg.bddc56b6f0d3643cb9afa4ab2caa3b41.jpg

witb_1.jpg.ef5fdab5800e90ac96c2f2a54d6750d9.jpg

witb_3.jpg.8fb96f349d264f6546999cf24a1a84de.jpg

witb_4.jpg.0f9d7e85e3cbc38abff927ef54545876.jpg