IGNORED

"Four Magic Moves" by Joe Dante

iacas

I just happened on this book recently. My only regret is I hadn't discovered it sooner. The most important point for me was discovering how to make a correct lateral hip move. I'd previously just moved over straightening the left leg. This caused me to get 'stuck' far too often so I was unable to turn my hips in anything but an artificial and contrived fashion with the result being an over-the-top heave and all that goes with it. Once I learned from Dante's 4MM to keep my knees bent, pointing them ahead of the ball as I made the lateral move I discovered that I could now keep the hips leading aggressively . This kept the stretch between my upper and lower halves intact which helped accelerate the club. The left leg straightening very late in the process as the club is releasing helped that even more. So my normal 150-yard carry 8-iron started jumping out another 10 yards.

I haven't really been able to use the preset wrist in the manner described. It seems my wrists aren't built as normal and I can't get even half the 35 degrees of radial deviation described when the wrist is kept flat. So, I've stayed with what I have, i.e. a cupped left wrist and an open face. Even still, this doesn't seem to cause a problem now I've learned how to make the correct lateral move.

• 8 months later...

The wide takeaway, creating length in the backswing is being taught nowadays, what effect or difference will it creat for the early wrist break?

Does it creat less length? and is this move really necessary?

• 1 year later...

I thought I'd revive this post to see if anyone out their is still following it. I have done it with great success, had some problems with it (hooking everything) but I find I always come back because when I'm playing bad in the middle of the round I give it a try and it always seems to save the day. I think my biggest problem is understanding the second move which is the lateral slide. The lateral slide always seems to cause me to push the ball.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It has been a few years since I used the 4 magic moves, but my iron play as of late has been so bad I started re-reading Dante. I originally had a lot of difficulty with woods.

I have gone back and fourth with the Dante method. I just find when things look the worst I revert to the method with great results. I've been working on it again in ernest and reading former post from different forums and have picked up some key things that have helped me not only stop hitting it left but getting me the feeling of the "late hit". I'm really hitting it long and straight.

There was a very knowledgeable poster on golftuitiononline.com named Ted who went by rotator. He used 4mm quite effectively and was able to give some good insights into the method. Wish I had a way to contact him. He wasn't your usual poster in that he was always helpful and never a discouraging word about anyone.

The difficult thing about Dante is it seems that no one teaches it and the only discussions on message boards are infrequent.

There was a very knowledgeable poster on golftuitiononline.com named Ted who went by rotator. He used 4mm quite effectively and was able to give some good insights into the method. Wish I had a way to contact him. He wasn't your usual poster in that he was always helpful and never a discouraging word about anyone.

The difficult thing about Dante is it seems that no one teaches it and the only discussions on message boards are infrequent.

I couldn't agree more. When you consider all the methods being taught that involve so much movement and timing you would think someone would be teaching this. When I get in a good rhythm I hit the ball so straight and long but like everyone in golf when my timing is bad I start trying different swings to find one that works. How many times have you been on the range and thought I FINALLY HAVE IT!!! For me many hundreds. All I know is when I go back to Dante and i'm in rhythm its as good as it gets.

• 3 weeks later...

Am I delusional or does Dustin Johnson's swing have a lot of Dante in it?

I can't believe this post has somewhat died. As stated before I have tried this on and off for maybe five years. I finally realized i always get lost and go back to the Dante moves  and do well. So I downloaded the book and made a commitment to try to learn something every time I go to the range that I ignored the first time around and go with it. The first thing I realized was that I was not holding my grip tight enough, I thought I needed to have my wrists "loose" but having them tight gave me great power. The second thing which we all knew anyway was you need to let the body lead the club. If you don't you duck hook everything. A month ago I wondered if I'd ever break 80 again. My last eight rounds have been between 74 and 79. Granted I was a 7.4 to begin the year but I'm a 5.4 now and hitting my clubs a FULL shot longer. WAKE UP !!! LETS HAVE SOME IMPUT!!

Could one of you Dante followers be so kind as to post a video of you swinging with this method? Preferably in 120fps or higher? And maybe a "walk through" demonstration of the various positions? I don't doubt that the method can work, from what I've read it all make sense and accomplishes what is needed to make a good swing but I'd like to see it performed by someone with knowledge and reasonable success with the method.

The early wrist break seems weird in execution but makes sense intellectually, but maybe I'm just misunderstanding how it's done.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Could one of you Dante followers be so kind as to post a video of you swinging with this method? Preferably in 120fps or higher? And maybe a "walk through" demonstration of the various positions? I don't doubt that the method can work, from what I've read it all make sense and accomplishes what is needed to make a good swing but I'd like to see it performed by someone with knowledge and reasonable success with the method.  The early wrist break seems weird in execution but makes sense intellectually, but maybe I'm just misunderstanding how it's done.

I signed up and used the 4 magic moves before and I have seen a video of it being explained move by move which are the early wrist break, coil at the top (ie on plane A4), hip slide to start the downswing, balanced finish.i think as I don't remember. My take away is that it is no different than any other pro golfers swing, with the only emphasis really on the early wrist break as we know that is not a commonality between pros.. In my opinion there is just not enough direction given in the method to help that many golfers as it is so general in terms of detail or even explanation. They have the right ideas IMO but fail to really encompass all that is necessarily needed for a beginner or intermediate golfer.. An advanced golfer can't benefit IMO from this system..

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Having read this forum,and using the 4MM,I thought I'd just add my thoughts. It is appropriate for me because I have weak arms and wrists.I am however very supple.The usual turnover and manipulation of the wrists into the backswing and on through the downswing ,has always led to inconsistency. I have no trouble turning the shoulders.This often gets out of hand as it leads to overswing and dis-connection at the top.Getting back on plane is impossible Like many people I agree that there are golfers and not standard methods to suit all.These are the instructors whose tips I have taken and adapted. John Jacobs. He explained the faults caused by a failure to co-ordinate the hip and arm action Leslie King. The purpose of the backswing.Simply to prepare for the downswing and getting into the correct position Matt Snyder. How many, many players would benefit fundementally with a shorter backswing. Joe Dante. The critical (as far as I see it) of the immediate backward wrist hinge.Being very supple it's not a problem for me. Essentially it has 3 obvious benefits,A solid,firm arm and set wrist, a square clubface and being perfectly on plane. A minimal shoulder turn helps even further. There is another advantage I far as I am concerned,but it is not for everyone.Both Joe Dante and Andy Brown mentioned that some of their students use the wrist set and the turn in two distinct moves.This follows on from Leslie King's teaching that the backswing is a preparatory move only.Here he agrees with John Jacobs."The backswing purpose is to create power and chart direction".Dante's backward wrist set and then shoulder turn,as a two move sequence simply confirms this. It works for me.Wrist set,minimal turn for a shorter backswing.Then I have time to think lateral hip movement,head behind the ball. I found it awkward to try and make it a one sequence affair.By breaking into two moves.I can make each move exact. My backswing routine is to make sure of the two knouckle one knuckle rule as explained by Dante in the set and at the top of the backswing.I also grip the club firmly. For many this will seem just to dis-jointed.It suits me,as I practice holding the various position's before moving into the next. The only reason I suggest it as an option is simply because others have quite plainly used it and are continuing to use it. It may suit others as well.

Further testing,has resulted in me now using the recommended early wrist set by Nick Faldo (the more conventional wrist break).This has resulted in me incorporating the whole move into the swing. I don't see any problem with the Dante hinge break,but I have recently still been having problems maintaining a proper profile of the wrist at the top of the backswing.Potentially it is still a sound move.

• 3 weeks later...
This is very interesting. I started playing golf back in 2008. And purchased the four magic moves by Dante, I was on the practice range and course using these moves and within 6 years I reduced my h/cap to 14. Interestingly reading this thread I experienced some of the same challenges, because of the early wrist break the pro at the practice range I use was not in favour of it, so I was not always sure what I was doing was right, I purchase all the books and audio available and just committed to it, the result is I reduced my h/cap. When in my Saturday morning round of golf because of my movement, which, as referred to earlier in this thread, appeared to be jerky, (I would break my wrist then roll my shoulders up holding the position and move my hips and hands through the ball) I was questioned, who on the PGA or European Tour does this? I of course, do not have a answer. However, in my quest to be better I tweaked my wrist break.....ok.... I changed it to a more conventional wrist break. This pleased the Pro at the practice range and a way forward was in place, the result, when I hit the ball, I hit it further, when it goes right I'm doing well....but... The reason I'm on this thread is because, the conventional way is not working for me, I'm inconsistent and not playing well at all and I wanted to see if anybody else was using the four magic moves and what they think, the result after being on this thread is I went back to the practice range and put the early wrist break back in and I'm playing enjoyable golf again. For me I learned the four magic moves at the start of my golfing interest, so it's what Iv always done, right or wrongly in the way I execute it. But, my h/cap is down to 14 in the six years Iv been playing. I am not a teaching guru on this nor am I sure it will make me millions on the European tour, however, it has allowed me to get better at golf and not be the group duffer. I just wanted to thank all on this thread as it installed my faith in what I'm comfortable in doing and if my experience helps you, then all well and good. Play well !!!

• 3 months later...

Bought the book.

Andy Anderson's video is now in the following URL:

As an 11 index, my experiment with this "early wrist set"starts today...  An attempt to reach an index of 8...

I should report back in 6 months...

After reading "LOWEST SCORE WINS"....does one think that incorporating the moves in this book(FOUR MAGIC MOVES) would help or hurt?...With Lowest Score Wins, it seems like the author likes that 5 simple keys to playing a golf shot, does this new book contradict that idea or further it along.? Every other day I recieve email alerts with Mike Breed's method or the "SQUARE TO SQUARE" method etc.... If this book(4 magic moves) can co-exist with LSW's I'll read it...if it's a different philosophy, I probably by pass it. Thanks for any feedback guys Sinn

CLUBS:ping: CART: :sunmountain: DRIVER: :callaway:GOLF BALL: :titleist:

After reading "LOWEST SCORE WINS"....does one think that incorporating the moves in this book(FOUR MAGIC MOVES) would help or hurt?

I don't know what the "4 Magic Moves" are, so I can't really speak to whether or not they will help you or hurt you.

With Lowest Score Wins, it seems like the author likes that 5 simple keys to playing a golf shot, does this new book contradict that idea or further it along.?

Again, I don't know.  However, I would suggest that if the author is a decent golfer and instructor, then his ideas would fit in fine with the ideas expressed in the 5 Simple Keys.

Every other day I recieve email alerts with Mike Breed's method or the "SQUARE TO SQUARE" method etc....

If this book(4 magic moves) can co-exist with LSW's I'll read it...if it's a different philosophy, I probably by pass it.

Remember that 5 Simple Keys isn't a swing method, it's just a collection of the things that all great golfers do.  Michael Breed might have a method, but within his method he is (whether he realizes it or not) hitting all of the keys.  I don't know "square to square" but, again, as long as whoever is teaching it also makes sure your head is relatively steady, your weight is forward at impact, you're not flipping, and you have a good swing path and clubface control, then it's not a "different philosphy," per se ... just one of 8 million specific ways to implement it.

That is the beauty of the 5 keys and the philosophy of the LSW guys:  it fits in fine with whatever "method" of swing you choose (with the caveat that you're not doing something really off the wall). :-P

IF I incorporate the 5 simple keys plus the 4 magic moves.......that's only 9 thoughts that I'll need to think about in the (how many sec.'s?) swing movement...!!!

just kidding but the only issue I seem to have is when I have my weight forward when I strike my golf shot, I seem to be so far in front of the ball with my head/body....I cannot get any eight on my ball...

CLUBS:ping: CART: :sunmountain: DRIVER: :callaway:GOLF BALL: :titleist: