IGNORED

"Four Magic Moves" by Joe Dante

iacas

IF I incorporate the 5 simple keys plus the 4 magic moves.......that's only 9 thoughts that I'll need to think about in the (how many sec.'s?) swing movement...!!!

just kidding but the only issue I seem to have is when I have my weight forward when I strike my golf shot, I seem to be so far in front of the ball with my head/body....I cannot get any eight on my ball...

Hmmm...can you get any nine? 'Cuz that would be even better.... :-P

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 4 years later...

I use the method and it works. It took me only a short time to use it with my irons (about 3 months) but it took a bit longer with the driver (about a year). I am 69+ years old and I have a 6 handicap. I have parred our golf course once this year. I have a back disease that forces me to wear a Mueller back brace. Joe Dante's 4 magic moves golf swing is less painful for me. The key to the swing is the early wrist set, but the lateral move is very important, especially with the driver. I have to guard against pulling the driver if my lateral hip action is not timed properly. As with any swing, timing and tempo are very important.

• 4 years later...

Dante’s system works because there are less variables that can go wrong. The feeling of the ball being compressed is exhilarating. My only thought during the swing is to “deaden” my arms and hands and start the downswing by a lateral shift of the hips to the left and a transfer of my weight to my front foot. It’s a counterintuitive feeling because our instinct is to use the arms and hands to hit the ball. Once you trust that the lateral hip shift will shallow the club and produce a powerful strike, almost effortlessly, you will swear by this system. I’m a believer!! 

• 5 months later...
On 3/30/2009 at 8:24 AM, wachesawgolfer said:

The problem I have is coordinating the wrist break and shoulder turn so it is one fluid motion.

In the book, Dante starts the wrist break/backswing with a short forward press. He cites different motions for the press- 1. Slight forward movement of the hands and then start the wrist break. 2. He also mentions moving the hips toward the target, like Gary Player does. (I like the hip forward press, it works better for me than the wrist press.)

In either case, the movement is very small, just to get some rhythm into the start of the backswing. This eliminates a "jerky" start.

The backward wrist break is the first "magic move".

When this motion is completed, you transition into the second "magic move", the shoulder turn. If you do the shoulder turn correctly (a 'turn', NOT a 'dip') the motion flows from the wrist break, it is not two separate motions.

I was having problems with the shoulder turn until one day, I happened to be wearing a red shirt and as I  turned my shoulders, I clearly saw my front red shoulder as I made my shoulder turn. I hit a good drive so I  started watching for that red shoulder as I  made my turn. It worked surprisingly well as a checkpoint.

The main point Dante stresses with the backswing is to keep the backward wrist break position throughout the backswing. If done correctly,  you will feel a definite tightness, which goes against a lot of teaching, where we're taught to relax. That's why Dante teaches a tight grip with the left hand (for righties).

As far as "how far do you turn on your backswing" he says 90 degrees is a full turn. I'm 68 years old so I  can't get to 90 without my shoulder or spine fracturing, so I just go back as far as I can,  it's not that important to me. I  have found if I  hit the ball squarely I still get decent distance and I  hit it straight. 

So that's the second "magic move".

The third 'magic move' is the transition into the downswing. Again, Dante insists on maintaining the tight backward wrist break throughout this motion.

He describes the transition as being started by moving the left hip toward the target. Again this move flows from the backswing, it's not a jerky movement. I tell my wife the transition is like the rhythm similar to 'dancing'. She understands dancing rhythm and timing, so it makes it less of something she has to think about and something she can just do naturally. 

That brings you to the fourth 'magic move' which is simply maintaining the wrist break position and having the hips pull the rest of the body through the hitting position. 

Dante stresses that the motion of the hips towards the target brings the arms and wrists back to the ball in the perfect position. There should be no need to think about "swinging the arms" or "turning over the wrists". He says that as the hips move toward the target, they will naturally turn by themselves. He is correct here. Try it without a club- as you move the hips to the left, they turn as well.

So as you approach the hitting area with the maintained wrist break, you have stored up much power to be released at contact.

I have been using Dante's "Magic Moves" for about a year and it has been a great experience. Before I started using this information,  I  was a lifelong slicer who tried every method and YouTube tip to fix my swing. It was like putting bandaids on top of bandaids. 

This book is presented in a logical, easy to understand sequence. It does, however,  require some "stick to it-ness" and time to replace and overwrite the old habits.

For me, it has been worth the time spent reading, practicing, re-reading and practicing some more. But it has paid off for me. I hit the ball more solidly and much straighter that I ever did in 45 years of golfing.

One of the best benefits of this system is my mishits are usually at least at the target. Far fewer penalty strokes than before, significant lowering of handicap.

As much fun as it is to hit solid drives, I  find the most rewarding shots are approach shots flying directly on line at the flag.

Overall, I  highly recommend Dante's "Four Magic Moves". This comment barely scratches the surface of all the information in the book itself. Dante takes care to clearly explain the why's and how's of his system. I recommend reading it and re-reading it after you try it and practice it. And then re-read it again.

It worked for me.

Hi Joe,

I agree with your analysis of Dante’s 4 Magic Moves. And no doubt all of my shots are straight where I aim. And no doubt when done correctly, there is a euphoric feeling when the ball is compressed solidly. But it does require a lot of practice to meld the reverse wrist hinge with a turning of the shoulders. My main thought when I am fully loaded on my backswing is to feel my arms are “dead” and to initiate my downswing with a lateral shift of my left hip toward the target. This is similar to the modern swing which teaches the first move is a slight bump of the left hip and then a rotation of the hips to the left. The only caveat is that the Dante swing, in my opinion, because the grip pressure is tight, does not allow the hands to act as an additional lever, which will limit clubhead speed. But the trade-off is a consistent compression of the ball and the confidence that the ball will go straight. I compensate for this by hitting one club more-so a 140 yard shot will be a 7 iron or even a 6 iron rather than trying to muscle an 8 iron. 

Hope this makes sense.

Howard

21 hours ago, HGJ said:

Hi Joe,

I agree with your analysis of Dante’s 4 Magic Moves. And no doubt all of my shots are straight where I aim. And no doubt when done correctly, there is a euphoric feeling when the ball is compressed solidly. But it does require a lot of practice to meld the reverse wrist hinge with a turning of the shoulders. My main thought when I am fully loaded on my backswing is to feel my arms are “dead” and to initiate my downswing with a lateral shift of my left hip toward the target. This is similar to the modern swing which teaches the first move is a slight bump of the left hip and then a rotation of the hips to the left. The only caveat is that the Dante swing, in my opinion, because the grip pressure is tight, does not allow the hands to act as an additional lever, which will limit clubhead speed. But the trade-off is a consistent compression of the ball and the confidence that the ball will go straight. I compensate for this by hitting one club more-so a 140 yard shot will be a 7 iron or even a 6 iron rather than trying to muscle an 8 iron. 

Hope this makes sense.

Howard

Absolutely makes sense, Howard. I think my yardages per club are about 10 yards less. Which just means I  go one club higher. One other thing I  have noticed is because my irons are struck more squarely, they generally have more backspin when landing on the green, and don't roll off the back like my old fade shots would.

While Dante says the first move down is a lateral shifting of the hips toward the target, the professionals have more of a rotational swing where their hips hardly move laterally but move quickly to the left. It’s a different swing than Dante. I’ve been able to increase my distance by a more pronounced weight shift onto my front foot. The Dante swing is more lateral while the professionals are all rotational. But I’m happy knowing that I can play well with the Dante system and the ball always goes straight, even with my misses.

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, HGJ said:

While Dante says the first move down is a lateral shifting of the hips toward the target, the professionals have more of a rotational swing where their hips hardly move laterally but move quickly to the left.

You should check this topic out.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades