IGNORED

Skycaddie SG5 or GolfLogix?

Note:Β This thread is 5517 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Ok, I have read all the reviews regarding the two and despite which I go with, I would be happy with it.

I guess my last question regarding this is simply....

In the long run, any of the other two would really prove to be more beneficial to have over the other?

I know that the Skycaddie has a colored screen and I wouldn't doubt it in the future, the GolfLogix would release something colorful.

The skycaddie is a bit more expensive in terms of monthly charges versus the Golflogix but is there really a seal all deal to go over one or the other?

I'm looking for last thoughts before I having to flip a coin.

Lastly, please take cost aside...I'm not saying that I wouldn't save money if I got the golflogix (that's a given) but feature wise, does any of the two really hold a lot of weight that would make the higher cost justifiable.

In my Edge and Atlas bag:
driver: FT-iQ 9R and Taylormade R9 460 10.5 R
wood: 5 Wood FT-iQ Neutral
hybrid(s): 3 Burner
irons: x22 3-PWwedges: Black Nickel Vokey 52/8, 56/11 & Oil Can 60/7 and Callaway x-Forge 56putter: Studio Style Newport 2 33" and Sabretooth 33"GPS RangeFinder: uPRORangeFinder....

Here is a very recent thread on a similar subject

Yes, I read this...very informative!

Out of curiosity, in terms of use, do you load the courses on the device before you leave from a computer? From what I have read it seems like that's how the GolfLogix works but the Skycaddie I'm not sure...seems automatic?

irons: x22 3-PWwedges: Black Nickel Vokey 52/8, 56/11 & Oil Can 60/7 and Callaway x-Forge 56putter: Studio Style Newport 2 33" and Sabretooth 33"GPS RangeFinder: uPRORangeFinder....

I have the sky caddie 2.5 and I love it. Easy to use, easy to select courses, and I know Sky caddie has been around a while so I feel good about the Company vs some of the up and comers.

I was between SC and a range finder, and glad I got the SC.

In my SX76 StaDry
Woods: G15 9.0Β° BB Stiff, G10 14Β°
Hybrids: i15 20Β°, Rapture 24Β°
Irons: AP2 5-PW
Wedges: SM Vokey 51Β°, 56Β°, 60Β° Putter: Circa '62 No. 2 (Gun Metal Blue) Ball: ProV1

I went with GolfLogix over Skycaddie. The main selling points for me were GolfLogix is waterPROOF and in my research seemed to be a bit more hands off than Skycaddie. All I have to do is turn the GPS on and when the satellites are done tracking hit the up button to start the round. It automatically knows what course I am on and where. I'm guessing Skycaddie does the same but I could not be for certain and the last thing I wanted out of a GPS is to have to punch buttons after each hole. I think each maps courses differently with Golflogix doing it by satellite pics with Skycaddie doing it with someone walking the course. I honestly don't think one is better than the other and in the month I have had my GPS I have had several of my courses that have been updated so GolfLogix is constantly updating based on golfer feedback. So far I haven't seen anything odd but I won't hesitate to let them know if I do.

I went with GolfLogix over Skycaddie. The main selling points for me were GolfLogix is waterPROOF and in my research seemed to be a bit more hands off than Skycaddie. All I have to do is turn the GPS on and when the satellites are done tracking hit the up button to start the round. It automatically knows what course I am on and where. I'm guessing Skycaddie does the same but I could not be for certain and the last thing I wanted out of a GPS is to have to punch buttons after each hole. I think each maps courses differently with Golflogix doing it by satellite pics with Skycaddie doing it with someone walking the course. I honestly don't think one is better than the other and in the month I have had my GPS I have had several of my courses that have been updated so GolfLogix is constantly updating based on golfer feedback. So far I haven't seen anything odd but I won't hesitate to let them know if I do.

Ironically, I went golfing with a person I met when I was traveling and he had a skycaddie. I think he had the 2.5. Simple, no pushing of buttons through our outing. I did arrive late and he was already at the driving range when I met him.

When we started, he told me that he was using a skycaddie (back then I didn't really think twice about it), but throughout the course, it was so simple to roll up to the ball, look at the screen and pull the club I needed. He never had to touch the SC other than when we needed to look at the distance. Pretty much hands off. Other than what I have read, that's the experience I had with it. All the bells and whistles that the higher versions seems to have...well, now I'm interested in purchasing one.

of those two... with price out of the equation, I would hit up the SG5. But, if I were thinking of price (and not wanting to pay a yearly subscription and wanted the best bargain... I'd hit up the iGolf NEO for $149 since it does pretty much everything and only costs a fraction of the two you mentioned.

I use an iGolf CaddieII (NEO's big brother) and it is VERY easy to use. I hit one button to advance a hole... that's it, not at all difficult. If I want more than F,B,C... I toggle the same button down and get sandtraps, lay-up, water, etc. I have used my device all summer (50 or so rounds) and couldn't be happier.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5Β° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14Β° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18Β°) & 3h(20Β°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52Β°-10Β° & 58Β°-10Β°; Odyssey...

of those two... with price out of the equation, I would hit up the SG5. But, if I were thinking of price (and not wanting to pay a yearly subscription and wanted the best bargain... I'd hit up the iGolf NEO for $149 since it does pretty much everything and only costs a fraction of the two you mentioned.

Ahh you're introducing another competitor. I will look into this as well.

I thought they both have yearly subscriptions. Just that the Garmin one is a little bit less expensive...

I've used the Skycaddie for almost 3 years and love it. Once it's turned on and you select the course you want there is no more "button pushing" needed for the rest of the day. It advances hole-by-hole on it's own and always displays front, center, & back distances automatically. VERY simple.

There are other buttons you CAN push for more info...IF you want to. Push a button and it will tell you how far you hit your last shot...push a button and it will tell you the distance to the front EDGE of a bunker or water hazard as well as the CARRY distance...push a button and it will give you the distance to leave yourself a 100 yard lay-up shot on a par 5.

Once again, if you don't want to use these other features (and they are VERY easy to use) just turn on your Skycaddie and you will always have the distances easily displayed. The only NEGATIVE thing I've found with the Skycaddie is that everyone you are playing with will constantly be asking you what the distance is! ha ha!!!

One more thing...I chose the SG3 because it uses two AA batteries. The other models have rechargable batteries, but if I have it on a charger at home I KNOW I'll forget it or forget to charge it sometimes. With the SG3 I just keep extra batteries in my bag and I'm ready to go at a moments notice, and two AA's last 3 rounds.

I bought the Skycaddie SC5 at the start of the season and love it. Its been about perfect for everything I wanted it to do and I very seldom touch it more then to turn it on and set it 9 I am playing (my home course has 27).

It was a little more then others I shopped for. But I bought it from ebay for $100 less then retail.

L4V M Speed
Insight XTD Hybrid 3 Wood
Insight XTD Hybrid 5 Wood
Idea A30S Hybrid 4 and 5 Irons
09 Burner Irons 6-AW CG14 WedgesF7 2 Ball Putter w/ dyssey Jumbo Grip Grom Bag

• 2 weeks later...
i bought the GolfLogix last week and tried it out this past weekend. 2 rounds and it worked perfectly, if only my game was perfect. very simple, just look at it and pick a club. im sure the sg5 would do the same but has a few more bells and whistles. the one feature i would like, from either, is to be able to record your shots and review. you can get the distance of your last shot, but, you still have to write it down to record it.

Driver: 907D2 10.5Β°
3Wood: 906F 15Β°
Hybrid: 585H 21Β°
Irons: 660 (4-P)
Wedges: Black SM52Β°, SM56Β°, SM60Β°Putter: Studio Select NP2Balls: ProV1/V1xRangefinder: Pinseeker 1500 TEGPS: SG5

I also just got my GolfLogix last week and used it this past weekend as well. It worked perfectly for me (I am not a low handicapper so I don't need exact distance) and distance to hazards were accurate to my rangefinder (which I mainly used to see whether the pin was front, middle or back). Never lost the signal and it was cloudy and rainy during the enire round. I am pleased with the purchase. I'll be dropping the Bushnell and just carry some small binoculars to check the pin position in a couple of rounds.

My advice is to get it on ebay (the one I bought had the first years subscription included in the cost). I got the GPS, Shipping and the subscription for $60 less than the retail price of the unit alone.
My Equipment:
Northwestern 3-, 5-, 7- and 9-wood;
Goldwin AVDP Irons (5-10 plus PW);
U.S. Golf 60 degree wedge;
See-More Putter; Bushnell Yardage Pro 1000 Rangefinder;Golflogix GPS.

i bought the GolfLogix last week and tried it out this past weekend. 2 rounds and it worked perfectly, if only my game was perfect. very simple, just look at it and pick a club. im sure the sg5 would do the same but has a few more bells and whistles. the one feature i would like, from either, is to be able to record your shots and review. you can get the distance of your last shot, but, you still have to write it down to record it.

UPDATE: I recently purchased a SkyCaddie SG5 to compare with the GolfLogix8. Below is my limited comparison. Keep in mind, I only used the GolfLogix8 twice and the SkyCaddie SG5 once.

Ease of use : Both were easy to use. Just one quick glance over the instructions on either unit and start using. Software : The software on both units was easy to use and intuitive. Hands-off : The GL is the most hands-off unit. Just page up or down to advance, check hazards, mark ball and check distance of last shot etc. The SG5 is equally hands-off if the user so desires. You have the option to scroll through more hazards and mark your ball as well, but, you have the option of viewing more hazards than the GL. Battery use : I only used the GL for 2 rounds, but, it still had ~75% battery life after. The SG5 was used for 1 round and appeared to have ~90% battery life. The nice thing about the GL is it uses AA batteries. Just throw a couple in your bag just in case and you are good to go. With the SG5, make sure you have enough juice before your round or your SOL. Size/ergonomics : Both are relatively easy to hold and operate. The GL has buttons on the side which is a little awkward for me, but not a deal breaker. I have used other Garmin GPS devices so I am used to it. The SG5 is more β€˜cell phone’ like in that all the buttons are on the face. The GL body is shorter and narrower than the SG5 (in addition the SG5 has an external antenna), but is thicker, again, not a deal breaker. The clip on the GL is in the middle of the unit. It spins easy, almost too easy. When I walked it would start to rotate sideways, upside down and around. The SG5 has the clip at the top of the unit so it hangs right side up all the time. Display : The GL’s display is crisp and easy to read with large numbers. It also has a backlight for lowlight conditions. The SG5’s display is crisp and easy to read as well, but is in color and has the β€œintelligreen” feature along with graphical icons for the hazards, bunkers, water etc. It also has auto brightness which adjusts to the ambient lighting conditions. The SG5 also has the option to use a dark or light background for easier viewing. The SG5 now has what they call β€œ3D Icons” to enhance the display. Cost : The GL is $300 shipped, or 6 monthly payments of $50 plus $25 shipping. Retail on the SG5 is $429 plus shipping. I purchased mine on eBay for $336 brand new shipped (dont know if I can give the seller a plug on the forum or not, but pm me and I will tell you who, or do a search). Annual Cost : The GL is $30/yr for unlimited worldwide course download. SG5 is $30 for unlimited courses in 1 state, $50 for unlimited courses in the US, and $60 for unlimited courses worldwide (twice the price of GL). These are the most notable observations I made while using both units. It is by no means a comprehensive comparison, but, if you have any questions please feel free to ask. If I can help I will. The hardest part about deciding on anything is having as much information as possible.

Wedges: Black SM52Β°, SM56Β°, SM60Β°Putter: Studio Select NP2Balls: ProV1/V1xRangefinder: Pinseeker 1500 TEGPS: SG5

UPDATE: I recently purchased a SkyCaddie SG5 to compare with the GolfLogix8. Below is my limited comparison. Keep in mind, I only used the GolfLogix8 twice and the SkyCaddie SG5 once.

This is very comprehensive enough. First person experience and helps with making a decision.

Thank you very much, I liked this review a lot. In your opinion, would you say that the annual service cost justify the things you can do with the skycaddie versus the golflogix? I would probably pay for the nationwide one because you never know when I will be out of state, from the top of my head, I already been out of the state at least twice in the month to golf.

Personally, yes. Initially I purchased the unlimited state courses. Since I play in 3 other states I will upgrade when the time comes.

One feature I used yesterday was on the driving range. I don't know how many courses have their ranges mapped, but it is a cool feature. The range I went to was your typical range: 8 flags, varying distances. With the exception of one flag (100 yard difference, obviously needs to be updated), all were pretty close to the signs. They were 2-3 yards off, but how accurate are the signs. If I look down 2-3 stations they all have the same yardages, but the SC5 adjusted as I moved from one station to the next.

Of course my rangefinder gives me the exact/actual distance from the point I am hitting from.

• 2 weeks later...
I recently viewed a info-mercial on the Golf Channel on the skycaddie that talked about a payment plan, $50 a month or something like that. Has anybody used this plan and how does it work?

Personally, yes. Initially I purchased the unlimited state courses. Since I play in 3 other states I will upgrade when the time comes.

How does the Intelligreen of the Skycaddie compare to the Golf Logix? Wouldn't Intelligreen be the deciding factor over Golf Logix?

STR8 Dymo 10.5
Dymo 3W
Mid Rescue 3
MP-33 4-PW
Eidolon 52* GW LW, SW Titleist Bullseye Putter

Note:Β This thread is 5517 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!