IGNORED

Why Are You Passionate About Golf?

ks8829
Note: This thread is 1796 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

20 hours ago, Hugh Jars said:

Am I passionate about the game? No. 

I very much enjoy the learning curve, and being outdoors. I invest a lot of time into the game, but I'm not obsessed with it like I have been with other sports in my life, like cricket and tennis. I don't follow the tour closely and don't enjoy watching it particularly. I don't set my alarm to early morning tv viewings anyway.

Its a hard game to pick up and play, extremely expensive with brands doing everything they can to take money off you for improvements in equipment that don't correlate to performance, and it has a stenching stigma of rich, white privilege. You can't participate in the game without paying big dollars. Even hits at the driving range are expensive. Whilst Im in a position to pay my way thanks to studying hard and holding down a good job, there's a lot of people out there who miss out on opportunities to play the game because of the costs. Its not fair. Lessons are ridiculously expensive. Not many sports are like this anymore. And some of the most awful and arrogant people I've come across have been on a golf course.

I enjoy the sport only when I can play by myself, keeping away from others, to be honest.

I am passionate about golf.  FYI there are plenty of us minorities out here playing.  I dated a woman who lamented not able to find good minority men.  I sent her a picture of my saturday morning golf crew.  She asked me if I could teach her how to play🤓😊.  

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would say that I was passionate about golf in my 20s-30s. Now I simply enjoy it.

Exception: I don't enjoy it if I am stuck behind slow players.

- Shane

2 hours ago, iacas said:

In Australia?

I don't agree with a lot of what you wrote there. At all.

Golf doesn't have to be that expensive. You can walk at a pretty good 18-hole muni (I play it regularly each year) for $15. Plenty of minority players to be seen and play with and enjoy their company.

18 holes for $15? Never seen that before. Minimum cost I've seen in Australia would be $35 for green fees alone, not including costs for clubs and balls and buggies. Its easily the most inaccessible sport in this country Ive come across with the exception of motorsport.

Edited by Hugh Jars

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Hugh Jars said:

18 holes for $15? Never seen that before. Minimum cost I've seen in Australia would be $35 for green fees alone.

That's still not that much. That's 24 US dollars.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I'm passionate about golf because I have no other choice.  It is the one thing I've done that refuses to go away.  Even when I was farthest from the game I would hit the range, once in a while, to hit some balls.  I've never got over the joy, and amazement, of making a good pass.  It doesn't seem possible that such a thing could occur...but it does and I never get enough of it.  

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Note: This thread is 1796 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!