Sign in to follow this  
ScottyCameron

What club do you use out of the sand?

Note: This thread is 2663 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

37 posts / 36957 viewsLast Reply

I'll use my 60-degree wedge or if the sand is fairly firm and there's little to no lip on the bunker, I'll use my putter. I've gotten wierd looks but it works for me! Works better on longer, uphill shots when there is no rough to speak of between the trap and the green. (And yes, greenside, not fairway bunkers!)

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

I have Cleveland 588 forged that works real well...and never leaves me stranded. I also have an Alien wedge that is about 13 years old that is great but everyone makes fun of it so I bought the Cleveland.

Was playing like crap today and ended up in a bunker about 30 yards out. My clubs were in the cart across the fairway so I snagged my buddies gimmick club "Spin doctor" 60 degree. Two bounces, he shoots, he scores!!! Well it rolled a bit, but it makes the story come alive doesn't it. BTW, I confiscated the club and I think it's mine now.

if the bunker is firm and the lip is low i will putt out of it mostly

other than that i use my 64* when i get into greenside bunkers

i had one shot out of the bunker during my last round that i put within about 4 feet of the cup, helped me save par

For greenside bunkers I'll use any wedge in my bag. But there are 5 wedges in my bag. I pick one based on distance and loft needed to carry the lip. I'm a closed face player, so the blast is the only shot for me. I'm also known to putt out of a low lipped bunker with my mallet putter as well. This shot is great when the match demands you get on at all costs, even if it means taking a 2 putt for bogey.

95% of the time I use my 58*/12* SM Vokey for all greenside shots and bunkers. The other 5% of the time I use my 52* Vokey 200.

I have been using the 52*-58* configuration for a while now and, at least for me, it is the most versatile setup to have. I tried the 52-56-60 setup and discovered that having a 58* wedge with the right grind could easily replace the 56* and 60* wedges.

Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG+ low bounce 56º or º60, depeding on lie, distance and green to work with.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

sometimes in tigerwoods ill use a 3 wood ;) haha

but in reallife i usually just go with my 56* 8* bounce i rarely use my lob wedge i need one with low low low bounce to it, cuase the one i have now when i swing, it hits the bottom of the club and sends it flying straight out

I have heard of people using their gap wedge for the bunkers and some using their lob wedges. I use my 56 degree with 11 degrees of bounce. What do you use?

Most greenside bunkers will find me using my 54 degree SW with 12 degrees of bounce.

Every now and then I'll get a lie in a bunker with firm or shallow sand. For these shots I'll play my 58 degree LW with 8 degrees of bounce.

I find it easier to just manipulate the face on a 56. If I need to get out of a firmer bunker, I don't open the face as much and play more of a running shot. If it's fluffier, high quality sand I feel comfortable opening the face to nearly flat.

Gene Sarazen

Gene Sarazen

Gene Sarazen

Gene Sarazen invented a perfectly good sand wedge which made bunker play much easier. I would love to go back to the thin soled wedge they had in     the days prior to this where bunkers were a feared hazard. I would also do away with rakes or any kind of bunker manicuring.

Gene Sarazen

Gene Sarazen

Gene Sarazen

Note: This thread is 2663 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!