IGNORED

Having Trouble Gettings Hands to Roll Through Impact

slinkee
Note: This thread is 1654 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Well, it was a golf pro who gave the advice during a lesson and it has worked for me. And I may not have described the motion all that accurately.  That being said, I am always open to better ways of doing things if there are any suggestions. I'm a pretty consistent low-mid 80's player and definitely have a lot to learn to become good. Thanks for the help.

• Administrator
19 minutes ago, Mudcatwilly said:

Well, it was a golf pro who gave the advice during a lesson and it has worked for me.

And a golf pro (me) is telling you "yuck, don't do that."

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I’m not an instructor and not a good golfer.  In recent years I have been fighting coming over the top.  After I hurt my left shoulder, I compensated with a bigger turn and was leading my downswing with my right shoulder.  I know exactly what it feels like to not release the club and hit a high fade.

I stumbled upon a video, but I’m having a tough time linking to it with my phone.  It is by Jim Roy and it addresses coming over the top.  I’m not saying it will solve anything, I can’t even say if it is good instruction, but the lightbulb went on when I realized that turning my right shoulder and trying to “hit” at the ball was the kiss of death.  There are a few drills that have helped me to bring my arms down and not out.

My swing thought has been to swing through the ball and not hit at the ball.  When I shift my weight and swing down and through I just naturally release the club.  I can feel it happening, but I’m not doing anything to cause it to happen.

John

I have/had the same problem. A pro suggested that I keep my arms more "connected". Although it feels unnatural and lacking in power, it gives me longer, and straighter, shots. By "connected" he meant keep my upper right arm closer to my chest on the backs wing and my upper left arm closer to my body on the follow through. 

Some of the guys had me so worried that I hit the range this morning to break things down. Turns out I was kinda flipping at the ball. Now it was working for awhile, but I found some inconsistency, hitting too many shots a tiny bit fat. Then I took my wrists out of the downswing (hope I'm describing it right) and just focused on turning through the ball. That really did the trick. I was getting way more power and flushing the 5 iron, which is a club I have struggled with. It seems that turning through the ball squares up the face and gets my weight shift to sync up nicely. Thanks for the tips.

• Administrator
14 hours ago, Mudcatwilly said:

Ok. I get it. You guys don't like the move. Instead of dropping comments without offering help, maybe someone can explain why its wrong and what the correct way is. We are supposed to be sharing golf knowledge right?

We are, but please know… this forum is 15 years old. We have topics like this one:

We can't re-explain everything all the time - you can do some work on your part (I'm not saying you aren't) to ask some questions, do some searches, etc.

You might have found this topic:

There's a lot of info there and elsewhere.

9 minutes ago, Mudcatwilly said:

Some of the guys had me so worried that I hit the range this morning to break things down. Turns out I was kinda flipping at the ball. Now it was working for awhile, but I found some inconsistency, hitting too many shots a tiny bit fat. Then I took my wrists out of the downswing (hope I'm describing it right) and just focused on turning through the ball. That really did the trick. I was getting way more power and flushing the 5 iron, which is a club I have struggled with. It seems that turning through the ball squares up the face and gets my weight shift to sync up nicely. Thanks for the tips.

Yep. That's a bit part of it. Rolling leads to flipping and inconsistent start lines. It creates a higher rate of closure than is often manageable.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 8/27/2019 at 7:15 PM, Mudcatwilly said:

Fix#2: Release the club. Just before impact, the right forearm rolls over the left. This squares the face and also adds distance. Distance because you reduce or eliminate side spin and it creates the whip action, speeding the club up.

To be honest, really, really bad advice. A lot of players actually have dual internal shoulder rotation at impact.

How many of these guys are rolling the right forearm over the left?

Where are their left elbows pointing?

Screen Shot 2019-08-30 at 1.21.20 PM.png3.jpg2.jpg1.jpg

• Like 3

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Just thinking about rolling the arms/hands over and trying to time it at impact is giving me the willies. I'm playing golf tomorrow morning and between now and then I'm going to have to try to forget all this.

Driver, 3W & 4 Hybrid: 2023 :titleist: TSR3 
Irons: 2020 :titleist: T300
Wedges: 2012 :callaway: XTour 56o & 2021 Jaws 60o

Putter: :odyssey: Marxman (Mallet) / :tmade: Juno (Blade) plus 7 or 8 others in a barrel in my basement

6 minutes ago, xrayvizhen said:

Just thinking about rolling the arms/hands over and trying to time it at impact is giving me the willies. I'm playing golf tomorrow morning and between now and then I'm going to have to try to forget all this.

It’s just that, forget it. The ‘Release’ is something that happens when your swing is properly synced and in an acceptable position/path. It’s not something to consciously perform.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I'm trying to reduce the rolling of my hands in my swing. I can't fathom people actually wanting to do it on purpose.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

What’s the difference between release and supinate with the lead arm?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Just now, nevets88 said:

What’s the difference between release and supinate with the lead arm?

One has no real definition and the other is an anatomical movement?

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

10 minutes ago, billchao said:

One has no real definition and the other is an anatomical movement?

Ideally, the clubhead is set in a position where the turn of the body causes the mass of the clubhead to flip out at the ball. 

This motion happens due to other actions. 

To me, release of the club is a bad slicers fix. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

18 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Ideally, the clubhead is set in a position where the turn of the body causes the mass of the clubhead to flip out at the ball. 

This motion happens due to other actions. 

To me, release of the club is a bad slicers fix. 

I agree, though I'm not sure why you quoted me.

A golf "release" has no set definition. I've seen people describe it as rolling the hands or forearms over. I've seen it described as throwing the hands down as if you were going to throw the club in your hands down the fairway.

Supination is an actual anatomical movement. It's the opposite of pronation.

Bill

My Swing Thread

1 minute ago, billchao said:

Supination is an actual anatomical movement. It's the opposite of pronation.

I misread anatomical as some word for automatic... so I was agreeing 😜

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I’ve always considered the ‘release’ to be the action, reaction really, to what takes place once the club head passes the hands. If done properly we would let go and the club would go flying towards our target line. 

Unfortunately what happens when a little white ball is placed down on the ground is a total loss of proprioception and an innate instinct to fire the club head down to the ball. This forces the club head to surpass the hands prior to impact and if we ‘released’ the club it would fly straight up into the air or even backwards.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

46 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

I misread anatomical as some word for automatic... so I was agreeing 😜

There is nothing "automatic" about the release! I can very well remember my early days in the game when I used to "hang onto it" like crazy, and slice it across 2 fairways! There seems to be a "fear" in letting the clubhead go. Like you might go left or something. Is our fear of the left that much more than the right? 

Note: This thread is 1654 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!