Note: This thread is 4607 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I don't take divots ever. I pick it clean, and if I don't hit it clean then I hit it thin or -- on my really bad shots -- top it into oblivion. Nothing like topping a 3-wood from the fairway and having it spin 100 yards, but it's better than chunking up 4 feet of sod and watching your ball roll six feet. I tried taking divots and found it so unnatural that it ruined my natural rhythm, so I just went back to swinging the way that felt natural to me. A fair number of the pros merely skim the grass or sweep the ball, so there's obviously nothing intrinsically wrong with not taking a divot. If they can shoot 66 without a divot, then divots are not a necessary part of the game.

While is is true that not every pro takes the big divot they do hit the ball first, have a proper angle down to the ball, and let the loft of the club do the job of getting the ball into the air. Where we get into trouble and lose distance is when we try to lift the ball and add loft to the club. Picking the ball clean works very well on nice fairways but can be problematic on tight lies. I play with someone who hits the ball well but takes small to no divots. Keep in mind that on an average fairway you are kind of taking a divot in that you clip the top of the grass off.

• 1 month later...
While is is true that not every pro takes the big divot they do hit the ball first, have a proper angle down to the ball, and let the loft of the club do the job of getting the ball into the air. Where we get into trouble and lose distance is when we try to lift the ball and add loft to the club. Picking the ball clean works very well on nice fairways but can be problematic on tight lies. I play with someone who hits the ball well but takes small to no divots. Keep in mind that on an average fairway you are kind of taking a divot in that you clip the top of the grass off.

Point taken. I do have trouble on courses with really tight lies. I think my problem is that I learned off of mats (on top of concrete) and I didn't like the feeling of smacking the ground with my clubs and, therefore, learned to pick via the aversion method. I've been consciously trying to hit down on the ball recently as if I were pitching and it's made me more consistent.

Note: This thread is 4607 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.