Sign in to follow this  
Smallville

Ryder Cup Results Thread -CONTAINS SPOILERS

Note: This thread is 4040 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

29 posts / 5845 viewsLast Reply

I saw an earlier thread that contained a spoiler on the Ryder Cup, maybe we can use this one to talk about results in.

By the way right now it's 1.5-0.5 U.S. in front.

Just for you Harry!

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

I saw an earlier thread that contained a spoiler on the Ryder Cup, maybe we can use this one to talk about results in.

Harry would have liked if you put the results under a spoiler button as well

2.5-0.5 U.S. and at least halving the last match (1 hole to go, U.S. is 1 up)

The something good was just a good shot.

Don't get used to spoiler tags in a spoiler thread there, Harry!

After the foursome matches this morning, it is US of A 3 and Euros 1. Who needs Tiger? They lost the last 3 with Tiger on the team, so it just goes to go show that this is a true team competition, and you cannot rely on one Star, who had a losing record anyway. GO, Red, White and Blue! Now, we go to fourballs, which we usually do pretty well in, compared to foursomes.

I'm going to state for the record that I love the course setup. There's no better venue for match play events than a course that encourages players to abandon all restraint, and Valhalla's doing a very good job at providing that so far.

Highway robbery is what Southern Hospitality got away with on the 15th hole. Weekley scrambles for par, and Westwood and Hansen miss both their birdie putts.

Did anyone else catch ball flight tracker of J.B.'s tee shot at 16? All I can say is, "holy crap!"

Boo's 18 inches away from putting the U.S. dormie on the final match of the afternoon. Of course, as soon as I submit this, Hansen holes out to salvage a halve.

With the U.S. up 5-2, and with at least another half-point coming out of the last group almost assured, I have to believe that Azinger's going to stick to his guns when it comes to tomorrows lineup. It would be lunacy to break up Mickelson/Kim or Leonard/Mahan when they've been responsible for 3 1/2 points today. The same thing goes with Southern Hospitality for tomorrow's fourball session; J.B. Holmes has been hit-and-miss today, but his monster power and the reaction he warrants from the crowd makes him a game-changer on every hole. I think Kenny Perry is better suited for best-ball, and I'd want him to sit on the morning session tomorrow and pair up with Stricker in the afternoon. Boo should take his place alongside Furyk in the morning, and the remaining foursome pair of Cink and Campbell should stay as it is. Sorry, Ben Curtis, but you have to take a seat after today's performance.

As for what personnel changes Nick Faldo has to make to his squad tomorrow, I would suggest the following lineup for the morning foursomes.

Harrington/Hansen: Harrington hasn't let anyone down today, and Hansen has been very impressive this afternoon. Those two would offer Europe a good chance against any American pair.
Rose/Poulter: A no-brainer after their fourball tour de force.
Westwood/Wilson: Faldo needs to put Oliver on the course ASAP, and pairing him up with Westwood would allow him to learn from one of the continent's best.
Garcia/Casey, Karlsson, or McDowell: Faldo can't not play Garcia, but he needs to find him a partner who isn't going to let him down.

Today was much better than the U.S. could have hoped for, up 5.5-2.5. I heard that this was the first time since 1981 that the U.S. won both the morning and the afternoon on the first day. Funny thing is, it could have been even better except for two wet tee shots on 18 in the final match.

Sucks that I am going to miss most of it tomorrow but I'll definitely be watching the individual matches on Sunday.

Highway robbery is what Southern Hospitality got away with on the 15th hole. Weekley scrambles for par, and Westwood and Hansen miss both their birdie putts.

Absolutely perfectly stated.

I just love the fact that I have to work this weekend, with no TV or access to my computer most of the time to see the action. Why, why, why did they pick THIS weekend for us to work?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Does it bug anyone else that one lone golfer didn't play today?

Poor Oliver? Doesn't bug me.

What I'd like to know is why "Live from the Ryder Cup" isn't on, but the stupid Viking Classic is.

Poor Oliver? Doesn't bug me.

I think the coverage of the Ryder Cup running a little late pushed back the Viking Classic, they did "Live From" for an hour or so after the live coverage was over.

I think the coverage of the Ryder Cup running a little late pushed back the Viking Classic, they did "Live From" for an hour or so after the live coverage was over.

Yeah, that's what I figured (I was never closer than about two hours behind live watching coverage today), but it's still annoying. I wonder how much longer they plan to show this Viking crap.

Note: This thread is 4040 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!