Sign in to follow this  
Wisconsin Golfer

Vokey questions

Note: This thread is 4114 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

12 posts / 1537 viewsLast Reply

I bought my first VOKEY wedge today and I was wondering a few things. First, I noticed that on the logo on the club that there are the initials BV, do these stand for a mans name?
Second, I love the looks of the oil-can finish, however is there a reason for it as opposed to the chrome finish?
I am trying to update my wedges and plan on getting 1 at a time. I got the 60* degree to start with, because I use my LOB-WEDGE alot. It is my go to club very often.

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

BV stands for Bob Vokey, the man that designs these wedges. And the Oil Can finish will rust over a period of time, or you can put the head in some Coke and it will strip the finish off and leave a raw wedge.

Many like the look of the oil can and satin finishes because the reflection that chrome gives off at address. The oil can wears down rather quickly and gives a nice rust look to it. There are two kinds of Vokey wedges spin milled and regular. Although the grooves are the same, the spin milled seem to have more durability to some and spin a little more to some as well. The spin milled wedges are available down to 54 degree IIRC.

Many like the look of the oil can and satin finishes because the reflection that chrome gives off at address. The oil can wears down rather quickly and gives a nice rust look to it. There are two kinds of Vokey wedges spin milled and regular.

Err... No, the spin milled is named for the special way the grooves are milled, I think.

Actually that is incorrect. It is named for the way the face is done, not the grooves. Thanks

No I'm afraid you are the one who is incorrect. Its named for the grooves.

Thanks ;)

According to the website apparently we are both correct. It is named for the way the face and grooves are cut. What do you know.

here is the quote "Vokey Spin Milled wedges feature a CNC machine cut face and grooves"

Actually that is incorrect. It is named for the way the face is done, not the grooves. Thanks

Not correct (nor is your revised statement). For what I hope is the final time, the "spin milled" refers to the way the grooves are cut only.

The rough face isn't the "spin milled" part. The face shows mill marks, but it's a different procedure: it's not the "spin milled" process. Bob Vokey says so, as does everyone else I've ever talked to at Titleist about this. P.S. And since you keep editing your post, I'll now add that "CNC milling" is the broad term for all sorts of milling, but "spin milling" is a subset of that. The grooves are "spin milled," which is a form of CNC milling, but the face uses a standard, non-"spin milled" version of CNC milling.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

i bought a vokey a few days ago, and i took it out today, i honestly didnt see anything different from my goldenbear wedges i got on clearance haha

i was taking out nice divots like infront of the ball like ive heard i was def hitting the ball then ground like ive read online, i was using a prov1x ball and i didnt notice anything different

but im not giving up yet, im gonna keep trying em out and get used to them

another thing the look of a raw vokey is freakin awesome, the oilcan finish looked like CRAP after my first round with it, so i took it home did the coke thing and it looks so much better

Note: This thread is 4114 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!