Note: This thread is 4375 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Has anyone hit the Mizuno MX100s? I have to give Mizuno some major props for the set design: bendable 4&5 hybrids, extreme cavity 6&7 irons and 8-SW cavities with a power bar to improve feel. The steel shaft sets come in at $600 with True Temper. I honestly believe this would be an awesome setup for a 10-36 handicapper with average swing speed and launch conditions. If you pieced this type of set together you could be looking at $1000 or more.

They may not be forged since the website doesn't mention that specifically and Mizuno is well known for their forgings. But regardless, I think this is an awesome set design for those willing to check their egos and handicaps.

Has anyone else hit these or even seen these in the stores? Thanks for any input and feedback.

• 7 months later...
yeah yesterday i went to our golf store in search for some new irons, my handicap is about 12, they guy said these would be good for me so im thinking about getting them sometime soon

MX-100s are nice. Ive hit them before and they are stupid easy to hit. They are cast, not forged but they still have great feel. Nowdays there isnt enough difference in feel from cast to forged anyways, so its not like it matters that they are cast.

I'm shopping for new irons and have hit a few. Last month I went to a demo day that and hit several sets of irons, including the MX-100. I also hit the MX-200, MX-950, Callaway X-22's and X-22 tours, and some Adams clubs at that demo day. Since then I have it the Ping G-10 and the Cobra SZ's and TM R7's and Burners.

When I attended the demo day, I hadn't picked up a club in months and I hadn't done anything since a knee surgery I had March 12th (microfracture surgery on my left knee). I say that because I was swinging, terribly that day. What I took away was the answer to "what clubs would be good on my worst day" The answer to that question was the MX-100. These clubs were the most forgiving of the bunch. The forged MX-200, when hit just right, felt amazing. I didn't hit too many just right. The MX-100's felt good when they were well struck and they were very forgiving. In addition, the hybrids hit pretty well (I carry 3 hybrids and hit them alot so I'm wondering if buying the ones that come with the MX-100's would be a waste of $$).

Here's a few thoughts on what I've hit so far:

MX-100 - very forgiving game improvement club, really liked these, on my short list
MX-950 - I really wanted to like these but I just didn't hit them well at all (see above)
MX-200 - less forgiving than the MX-100, feel great when hit right
Adams - I was really surprised at how little I liked these clubs. I mean I really didn't like the way they felt at all. I need to hit them again now that my knee is better and I've played a few rounds.
X-22 - I've never hit Callaway irons before, I always look at them and decide against hitting them. I was surprised at how much I liked these irons, they are on my short list.
X-22 tour - aren't that different than the X-22 but I didn't hit them as well.
Ping G-10 - hitting from mat indoors these felt amazing, looked amazing, on my short list
Cobra SZ - hit the same day as the Ping G-10, they didn't compare well, just didn't feel very good to me
TM R7 - hit indoor, hit OK, didn't make my short list
TM Burner - hit indoor, hit OK, didn't make my short list

I really wanted to like the MX-950's (on sale) and MX-200's (forged) but it was the MX-100 that seemed to fit my swing. I really wanted to like the TaylorMade Burner (I hit lots of TM stuff now) but they just didn't feel as good. The Ping G-10 and Callaway X-22's were nice surprises.

Right now my short list is: MX-100, X-22, G-10. I'm going to continue to hit clubs (including these 3) and see if my short list changes. Then I'll go to a range/fitter and hit the short list a bunch until I get it figured out. I doubt I'd go wrong with any of the 3 sets on my short list and that inlcudes the MX-100's asked about (which are $100 cheaper than the Ping's and Callaways). As I read boards about clubs eventually people just say "get out and hit some clubs and see what feels good to you" so I'm trying to do just that. Looks like I could get the Pings and Callaway in 4-GW instead of 3-PW as well and that's a good option for me.

Just my $.02.

I have performed a similar investigation noted by elvis14. At Demo Day I hit 6 irons of Cobra S9's, Cobra SZ's, Mizuno MX-100's, Mizuno MX-200's, Mizuno MX-950's.

I only hit the MX-200's because I purchased a Mizuno MX-25 at Golf Galaxy just to start swinging a club again and this is the new version of it. I was eager to see how much of a difference there was between forged and cast. Also, all of my test clubs were Regular flex graphite shafts. I eliminated Ping G10's due to cost. I had planned to hit the Adams A3 OS but I don't think I need that much help.

I never had a good feel with either of the Cobras; I really wanted to like the SZ due to their appearance but they just were not for me. Never had a solid hit and the mis-hits felt pretty bad too me.
Comparing only the Mizuno 6 irons my ranking is MX-200, MX-950, MX-100; I really got used to the forged high grade steel with my MX-25. However, the MX-950 is forged from I believe a lower grade steel and is hollow backed which gives it a feel almost the same and the 8,9,PW are same steel as the MX-200's. I hit the MX-100 about the same but although it felt good you could tell it was not forged, not quite as "soft".

What I don't like about the MX-200 is no hybrids. What I don't like about the MX-950 is they cost $100 more than the MX-100 and are not quite as forgiving, as they are I believe 2 years old and lack the Y-Tune technology.

I'm going to another Demo in June to hit the Mizuno's again and Tour Edge will be there with their GeoMax2 clubs. If I had to buy today it would be the MX-100's but since I have a couple more weeks I may decide to create a custom set by buying individual MX-200's (5-PW) and best of breed hybrids (3-4). Another possibility is I find a sale on the 950's.

This is a long process but who can complain about testing golf clubs.

This is a long process but who can complain about testing golf clubs.

thumpar, thanks for the additional data points. The one thing I didn't mention is that taking the time to hit different irons, making demo days, etc. is fun. I'm looking forward to hitting a few more clubs and hitting some clubs again. I missed a Ping demo day in Durham Saturday and was bummed. Luckily I'm more interested in getting the right clubs than I am in getting clubs right now so I'll keep having fun with this (something I didn't do last time I bought a used set off ebay).

I've been shopping for a combo set. Tried the following (w/ graphite shafts for all except Launcher):
Mizuno MX-100 - Hit the irons and hybrid high and straight
Tour Edge QLS - Similar to MX-100, but much cheaper
Adams A40S - Couldn't hit the iron or hybrid. Too heavy.
Cleveland Launcher - Hit the hybrids the best. Not quite as well with the irons.

My problem now is I liked the Launcher Hybrid and the MX-100 irons.

Comparing only the Mizuno 6 irons my ranking is MX-200, MX-950, MX-100; I really got used to the forged high grade steel with my MX-25. However, the MX-950 is forged from I believe a lower grade steel and is hollow backed which gives it a feel almost the same and the 8,9,PW are same steel as the MX-200's. I hit the MX-100 about the same but although it felt good you could tell it was not forged, not quite as "soft".

Its all in your head. Most pros cant tell a difference in feel form cast to forged, so I doubt any of us can tell the different.

Softness comes from the metal that is used to make the club. Whether a club is cast or forged has absolutely nothing to do with how soft it feels.
What I don't like about the MX-200 is no hybrids.

Buy MX-950s then...

What I don't like about the MX-950 is they cost $100 more than the MX-100 and are not quite as forgiving.

If you want forgings, you gotta pay more for it. About the 950s not being as forgiving as the 100s, that is not true. They are just as forgiving as the 100s, the difference is they are forged and they use the same metal in the short irons as the MX-200s use; so they are softer and have more feel.

Note: This thread is 4375 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!