IGNORED

Ian Poulter

Lbob
Note: This thread is 5686 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

EVERYONE came to play! I was very impressed with nearly all the players.

As far as the Ryder Cup Rookies, I was most impressed with AK, JB, Boo, and Poulter ( was this Poulter's second Ryder Cup??? ). I think playing the way they did, with the conditions of a hugely hyped tournament, they're going to be even better next year. Especially for Holmes. I think his confidence will be boosted a bunch.

Poulter was very impressive. I don't really care for some of the comments he's made, but golf is a game, athletes talk smack at each other. Even golfers. I guess it makes more sense when you can absolutely back up your words though.

We're definitely starting to see the next generation of great golfers.

I was NOT impressed with Phil and Sergio. Or maybe I should say, I was disappointed. I think Phil played pretty well along with AK, but his putting is still off. Sergio, well Sergio I think was affected by the crowd, same as Westwood. They played great mostly, but seemed to lose focus.

I take no offense to Poulter's behavior...at least what I've seen of him. He struts around sort of like a peacock and has fun.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Poulter is going to be the new Garcia for Ryder Cup. He elevated his game and earned more points than anyone else on either team.

This Ryder Cup also may give him the confidence to start winning consistently on Tour. I've never been bothered by his "style" - the guy is a marketing genius. You could always spot him instantaneously on the course, and he got attention without even being one of the elite players. Now, whether I liked his clothing choices from a personal perspective is a completely different matter. Anyway, I think Faldo saw something in Poulter that no one else did. That may be his Ryder Cup legacy.
The same could be said for Boo's behavior. He was getting the crowd involved and was creating a great atmosphere on the course. It was nice to see cheering and yelling rather than the stiffs with the little quiet golf claps.

Boo surprised me. I've never really cared for his "simple Southern boy" routine. And I've never bought it. He's smarter than he is letting on. I wish he'd just stop the dumb act.

But he impressed me this weekend. Also, how about Hunter Mahan? Only mistake all weekend was getting too excited after the long "Leonard-esque" putt on 17 to go 1 up. If he had stayed calm, he would have kept his drive on 18 in the fairway and would have won the match instead of halving it. But Mahan is one of my new favorites. I respected him for what he said about the PGA's management of the Ryder Cup, and he backed it up with his play. Leonard and Mahan were lights-out. So much fun to watch those two. And Mahan clearly learned something from Leonard (aforementioned putt that mirrored Leonard's 1999 Brookline putt.) I had almost forgotten what a phenomenal putter Leonard is. I mean, am I the only one who thinks of Ben Crenshaw when Leonard is putting? AK performed exactly the way I thought he would. Almost Tiger-esque (except for not recognizing when he had won the match - Tiger never lets any details slip, no matter how focused he is.) And watching AK and Phil was incredible. How nice was it to see Phil ditch all the Pelz over-analyzing and just play with his heart?

Very well stated, Harry.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Poulter is going to be the new Garcia for Ryder Cup.

I was thinking this as well.

This Ryder Cup also may give him the confidence to start winning consistently on Tour.

I'm not sold on that, but only time will tell.

Anyway, I think Faldo saw something in Poulter that no one else did. That may be his Ryder Cup legacy.

Yep, I agree.

Boo surprised me. I've never really cared for his "simple Southern boy" routine. And I've never bought it. He's smarter than he is letting on. I wish he'd just stop the dumb act.

I love Boo's act. Harry, I don't know where you are from, but "the dumb act" is something Southern people use to our advantage all the time. It plays right into stereotypes that many people hold. As we all know, It is usually a great advantage to be underestimated by the competition. Much the same as many intelligent, successful women have done in all walks of life.

When his act stops working for him he'll drop it.
Also, how about Hunter Mahan? Only mistake all weekend was getting too excited after the long "Leonard-esque" putt on 17 to go 1 up. If he had stayed calm, he would have kept his drive on 18 in the fairway and would have won the match instead of halving it. But Mahan is one of my new favorites. I respected him for what he said about the PGA's management of the Ryder Cup, and he backed it up with his play.

I agree 100%

Callaway FT-9 Tour I-mix 9.5° Driver (Fujikura Zcom Pro 65 stiff)
Mizuno F-50 15° 3w (Exsar FS2 stiff)
Bridgestone J36 19° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro 23° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro Forged 5-pw Irons (DG Black Gold stiff)Nike SV Tour Black Satin...

Harry, I don't know where you are from,

Texas, born and bread. And while I may not live there anymore, I will always be a Texan.

And the problem is that when someone with celebrity status buys into the dumb Southerner act, for whatever reason, it reinforces that stereotype to the rest of the country. To quote Parker from Highway 18, "Just because I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid." (I don't talk slow either, but you get my point.)

On the PGA tour most of the players are so serious. On the European tour, there is an air of gentility. It's ok for players to display their personality, especially at a Ryder Cup.

The Ryder Cup is a different atmosphere. Remember Ballesteros or Wadkins from the 80s.

I think Poulter is an incredibly talented golfer....but he is too much of a whiner and complainer for me. He seems to constantly go off on photographers and fans for "interfering".....I'm sorry, but i dont buy that stuff. If I can make a 10ft. putt with carts buzzing around me and my buddies laughing, then a PGA pro should be able to do the same even if he hears someone actually breath, or the soft click of a camera from 30 yards away. No debating that he is a great golfer, though.

• Administrator
then a PGA pro should be able to do the same even if he hears someone actually breath, or the soft click of a camera from 30 yards away.

Especially if all the clicks are after impact.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Leonard and Mahan were lights-out. So much fun to watch those two. And Mahan clearly learned something from Leonard (aforementioned putt that mirrored Leonard's 1999 Brookline putt.) I had almost forgotten what a phenomenal putter Leonard is. I mean, am I the only one who thinks of Ben Crenshaw when Leonard is putting?

Leonard didn't make anything on Sunday.

Note: This thread is 5686 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!