IGNORED

Big score on a hole is caused by:

dave s
Note: This thread is 5651 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

For me when I'm driving well the rest of my game tends to follow suit. That's not to say that I don't flub up plenty of good tee shots with a bad approach or around the green, but drives are a good indicator of the state of my game. A good drive just puts me in a good place mentally for the rest of the hole and for rest of the holes going forward.

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+1

Back when Golf Channel had cool shows about playing, I'd watch the show where a teaching pro would team up with a weekend duffer for nine holes. Pro would give tips on swings, lie, strategy, management, etc. Then, the duffer would go to work on the range and they'd complete the back nine with (usually) better results.

The teaching pros all said something similar when talking about amateurs. They said that we OVERestimate our shot making ability and underestimate the pending consequence when we don't pull off the shot we've chosen. The pro would invariably say: "And those decisions usually lead to a high score on a hole." For me, I try to make wise course management decisions. Even when trying to do the right thing, I can still rack up a double par on occasion. Trying to eliminate those as much as possible! dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

For me, when the drive from the tee goes badly everything else does too. Im still fairly inexperienced at golf. This is my first year trying to learn the game as apposed to just hacking at the ball and wondering why it didnt do what i wanted it too. I can maintain a good score on a hole once im 130yds away if im concentrating on what im doing. Its just getting inside the 130 yds thats got be baffled.

The last time out on the course I lied to my playing partners and said i broke my driver just to see how i would fair. I was absolutely amazed at how well i did. I played bogey golf for the first time ever. +18 after 18 was a huge confidence booster. Ive since put the big stick in the closet away from my bag.

I have a problem where water seems to be my worst enemy on the course. Everytime I have to drive over water the ball always seems to be attracted to it. My short game is pretty good so I guess you could say that teeing off is where it always goes down hill for me.
Driver:Ping Karsten-I
3-4 Wood:Ping Karsten-I
Hybrids:Alien Golf TI Matrix, Ginty Stan Thompson
5-P Irons:Alien Golf Tour Gold
Putter:Ping Karsten B60

Poor chipping and not enough practice...
Here's a great example of a bad hole: 400 yds par 4
Drive: 250yd left center of fairway
2nd shot: 150 yds - strong 8 - pull it long & left
3rd shot: wedge chunked short
4th shot: wedge sculled over the green
5th shot: wedge 20 feet from the pin
6th shot: putt long by 5 feet
7th shot: putt rim shot - goes around but not in
8th shot: putt finally

Banish the wedge to the bag for the next several holes - either chip with 7i or putt ....can't do much worse

If I play more, the kinks mentioned above go away and become very infrequent...thankfully

Cheers,
Eric

what's in my Sun Mtn bag:
Driver: 3-Wood: Big Bertha Irons: Mizuno MP-54 Wedge: Mizuno 56°-10° Putter: Newport 2 Ball: Pro Vx

Sounds familiar!

Still glad I never EVER do this! I guess I have yet to play enough, because the kinks are still there! LOL
How about a chunked chip shot that goes 1 foot, then "making sure this one's good" and hitting it way past the hole, or worse, off the green on the other side. Then a poor chip back that leaves you a loooong putt, leaving that one way short and missing the next before finally making it in the cup. That's 6 shots, greenside. Doesn't even count the good or bad shots that got you to that point. That's at least a 7 on a Par 3, probably 8 and 9 (at least) on Par 4's and 5's.

My Equipment:
Northwestern 3-, 5-, 7- and 9-wood;
Goldwin AVDP Irons (5-10 plus PW);
U.S. Golf 60 degree wedge;
See-More Putter; Bushnell Yardage Pro 1000 Rangefinder;Golflogix GPS.

I blame the tour and the Golf Channels playing lessons. They've made me think I can putt like AK, chip like Sergio, and drive like JB Holmes.

In all seriousness, when I am within 20yd and I try to throw a nice dart with the 56 I struggle commiting to the shot. I'll either skull it and send it over the green or I'll play it soft and leave it on the fringe. My putting as of late has been very good, yet I have this urge to buy a new putter. Been looking at a TM Rossa, I'm just sold I have to have one.

Weapons Of Choice
R5 Dual 9.5* Driver
R7 Draw Hybrid 3
Tight Lies #4 16* Fairway Wood
HCT Tour Irons 5-SW CG-11 52 CG-11 56 CG-11 60 BC-101 Putter

You hit the nail on the head in the first sentence ... 'poor chipping and not enough practice.'

Last season I took stock of my entire game and realized that the biggest bang for my practice time was around the green and off the tee. Fixed the green part but still working on consistency with the driver. Interestingly, I ran into an old guy who gave me a couple of practice tips: The first was, don't leave the green until you chip one in. I usually chip in TWO within about 45 minutes. Secondly, he told me to practice putt with 3 balls and use only FIVE strokes to hole all three. I putt until I do this three times--and I'm not practicing from 3' either! Result? 3-putt greens are extremely rare. Maybe one every 36 holes. My up-and-down efficiency is close to 50%--even from the sand! The thing I'm not capable of fixing is adding 30-40 yards to the driver. It's just not going to happen. One other thing I fixed was getting a more consistently USEFUL 2nd shot on the par-5s that puts me into wedge range. Picked up a TM Burner hybrid that goes about 190 every swing. The practice on and around the green and adding the hybrid shot knocked about 10 strokes from my usual 18-hole round. What used to be ~95 is now 85 on a familiar course. And that, I can live with! Fixing that driver for NEXT year! That fix might allow me to break 85 regularly and a stellar round might break 80. That would be HUGE!!! Hit that practice green brother!!! dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Errant drives can cause me to card a big score, but usually not a quad unless I hit 2 straight o.b. For me to triple or quad a hole there almost always is a chunked chip and/or 3+ putt involved.
Callaway FT-9 Tour I-mix 9.5° Driver (Fujikura Zcom Pro 65 stiff)
Mizuno F-50 15° 3w (Exsar FS2 stiff)
Bridgestone J36 19° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro 23° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro Forged 5-pw Irons (DG Black Gold stiff)Nike SV Tour Black Satin...

If you are talking a really bad hole, I think it is the drive. Seems that way for the pros. If they get the ball in the fairway, it is usually hard for them to get worse than a par. Watching VJ and Camillo both bogey the first hole yesterday is more proof of that. I saw Sergio do a double, it was a bad tee shot.

My Clubs
Nicklaus Progressive XC Irons: 3H,4H, 5-GW
Ray Cook SW & Gyro 1 Putter
Taylor Made Burner Driver 10.5
Taylor Made V-Steel 3 & 5 MetalsMy Home Course: Indian RiverMy Blog: Rant-o-Rama-Ding-Dong

I would have to say it's course management. I need to learn to just take my medicine and play a safe shot back to the short grass after a bad tee shot.

Since starting to play again I can hit my irons pretty well but can't seem to hit a fairway wood to save my life. 500+ yard par fives are my worst nightmare. For some reason I will still try to hit a 3 wood on my second shot which usually results in either topping it or hitting a worm burner that leaves me a long 3rd shot.

Triple bogey or higher is, in my case, always caused by a very bad drive. A shank or a top. It forces me to use my long irons from the rough which is a big weakness in my game. I'm hoping my new hybrids are going to help me out here.

A failed U/D will cost me 2 shots at the most, but a bad drive will cost me at least 2.

A big score is *always* (for me) caused by not taking my medicine after a bad shot. Instead of playing conservatively and trying to get back on track for a bogey, I try and do a hero shot (and shot and shot) to make par. Very stupid with predictable results.

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

I'm with the OP on this one. My worst holes almost always start with a bad tee shot. Then I have to pitch out, hopefully forward. It seems that on a lot of these holes I end up losing my focus and end up three putting too.

--------------------------
"There are only 3 kinds of people in this world -- Those who can count, and those who can't."

I also noticed after yesterdays play that big scores comes from not having practiced safe recovery options, ie. I played a "safe" shot out of the trees only to hit it too far right behind a tree on the other side of the fairway.

I'll agree that poor drives cost more strokes than conventional wisdom gives it credit for. I can't claim that my experience fully supports this, though, since I don't have enough good drives to know whether those holes go any better....

A couple other things get me a lot. Going out without warming up costs a few strokes on the first hole. That's mostly just dumb, I guess.

Practicing too much on the driving range and not getting enough actual rounds is also a problem. I'm a lot better from a perfect lie on flat ground than my scores might show. Even fairway lies are rarely as ideal as that. Too bad they don't have driving ranges with sloped stalls...

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Generally the big scores for me come from, like the OP, a bad drive. If I can keep it in play I can usually hit the green and make par, or at-least miss in a spot where I can get up and down.

Here's what I play:

Titleist 907 D2 10.5* UST ProForce V2 76-S | Titleist 906F4 18.5* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist 585H 21* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist ZB 4-PW TTDG S300 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 54.10 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.08 | Scotty Cameron Red X5 33" |

Note: This thread is 5651 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!