IGNORED

Big score on a hole is caused by:

dave s
Note: This thread is 5652 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Lots of things can cause a big number. A bad swing, a bad decision, or just bad timing, making a weak swing at a point where it can hurt the most. I've made big numbers from most everywhere on the course, so I'm not going to try and pin it down to any one facet of the game.

Today I made a double bogey on the 11th hole after my 2nd best drive of the day. I was in the middle of the fairway, 108 yards from the flag.... chunked a wedge 50 yards, chunked another wedge 15 feet, hit the next one to 8 feet, then lipped out the first putt for a smooth 6 . Those were the only bad wedges I hit all day, yet both shots happened on one hole, with no rhyme or reason for why.

Sometimes lightning can strike from anywhere..... I just try to clean up the mess and move on.....

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a 10 on a par 4 on Saturday at Colbert Hills in Manhattan, KS.

1 - Drive into THICK rough between two bunkers on the right.
2 - attempt to get out of rough goes into sand infront of me.
3 - five iron from sand BURRIES into bunker lip and dissappears. Gone.
4 - drop
5 - wedge blast out of sand
6 - pull wedge left of green into bunker
7 - leave it in same bunker
8 - onto green
9 - lag
10 - it's in the hole!!!

...six over on one hole is hard to recover from...

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

I thought this thread's purpose was to identify what causes blow-up holes.
I'm reading many blow-by-blow descriptions of your 10s and 15s.

OK here's one:
I just about blew myself out of a money game on the ninth hole.
When I got to the 14th, I duck hooked my drive into the pond left of the tee.
Now, I was officially out of the money.
Rather than go up the 150 yards to where my ball entered the lateral, I teed it up again twice.
I didn't want to leave that tee with the duck hook swing.
Result: 11.
Hope that helped

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

From what I'm reading most blow up holes seem to occur after a bad tee shot. You don't hear about to many 9's and 10's being the result of getting on the green in regulation (or even one or two over) and then 5, 6, and 7 putting on the green. Not that it doesn't happen but big scores seem to happen before you even make it onto the green. Kind of turns that old adage "drive for show, putt for dough" on it's ear...

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

From what I'm reading most blow up holes seem to occur after a bad tee shot. You don't hear about to many 9's and 10's being the result of getting on the green in regulation (or even one or two over) and then 5, 6, and 7 putting on the green. Not that it doesn't happen but big scores seem to happen before you even make it onto the green. Kind of turns that old adage "drive for show, putt for dough" on it's ear...

I'm in your corner on that one.

Hogan said the tee shot is the most important shot.* It dictates what happens next. *I'm feeling too lazy to look up the exact passage to cite but it's in the Five Fundamentals.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

Going with the theme, I'll regurgitate a bad hole that I had this past Wednesday. This one kicked my butt.

#8, Bellerive Country Club in St. Louis. Par 5, Dogleg Left, 549 yards
"Sunday" BMW Championship pin positions

1. Tee shot lands 20 yards short of the fairway bunker on the left side.
2. 280 yards to the green. Next shot, 4hybrid. Clips a tree limb, then lands OB in a creek on the right hand side of the fairway.
3. 190 yards to the green. Drop in the fairway, but got a crappy "ball below my feet" lie.
4. Still 190 yards to the green. Always aim left on these shots, I tell myself. 6-iron to a fairway bunker on the left. So much for that theory, it went where I aimed, how be it short!
5. 55 yards to the green. Decide I can't make the green because the bunker lip hangs out over my ball too far. Sand Wedge. My ball hit the lip anyway and trickles right back down to my feet.
6. Still 55 yards. I wipe the sand out of my eyes. Sand Wedge a second time. Instead of trying to get as much distance as I can, I just decide I need to get it out. Ball lands in the 4-inch rough.
7. 40 yards. Elevated green with bunker in-line with the pin. Decide it's too risky to attempt a chip shot for fear that I'll come up short and go in yet another bunker. Play it safe and aim for the center of the green. This is a sucker pin. 60-degree Lob Wedge flop shot that lands on the green.
8. ~30 ft putt for TRIPLE BOGEY!! How'd I get here??? Putt comes up short.
9. ~12 ft putt. Got a bad break.
10. ~18 inch putt. FINALLY in the hole! QUINTUPLE BOGEY

#1 Handicap hole at Bellerive. I think this is the same one that Vijay hit driver-driver from at the BMW last month.
What's in My Bag?

Driver: 10.5° KZG SP-700 with Fujikura SIX Regular Flex Shaft | 2h: Adams A7OS Stiff | 3h: Adams A3OS Stiff | 4h: Nike Slingshot Steel | 5i-PW: Adams A2OS | Sand Wedge: Cleveland CG14 56° 3-dot | Lob Wedge: Cleveland CG15 60° 3-dot | Putter: Fisher CTS-9 Polyurethane Face

The real point of that adage is that you don't need to hit 300 yard drives to score well, you just have to hit a reasonable drive and keep it in play. Then add that to a solid short game and you're in the money. Hitting 300 yard bombs (half of them out into the woods) might feed one's ego, all it's going to get you on the course is one of those dreaded big numbers.

At the same time, focusing exclusively on getting off the tee and ignoring the short game is also a ticket to high handicap hell. I've got lots of friends who can out-drive me regularly, but they almost never out-score me. A double chip and a 3 putt is still way too many strokes. In the end I think that matching one's game to the course and hole you are playing, and playing within one's ability is what really eliminates those blow-up holes.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Swinging too hard. I can't get myself out of this habit.

Even though the best shots I've had were those that I seemingly put no effort into whatsoever.

The harder I try to hit the ball the worse the shot becomes.

Let the club do the work my dad always tells me. You just guide it into place is what I add on to that statement.

I just seem to want to hit the damn thing as hard as possible though. Then, of course, one bad shot leads to another to another to another to another...you get the idea.

For me, usually starts with some sort of a brain cramp. Then I would typically end up trying to rush my next shot because then I get paranoid about falling behind, which results in a bad shot, then rushing to keep up results in another bad shot.............

Just lack of concentration

My Weapons of Grass Destruction:

:titleist: TS2 10.5*;  917F2 15*;  818H1 19*;  716 AP2 4-P;  Pro V1x

:vokey: SM7's - 50.12 F, 56.14 F, 60.08 M

:odyssey: Black Series 3

:footjoy:  :oakley: 

I think there are two good points to be made by posting blow-by-blow descriptions. One is that, as others have said, blow up holes often begin with a bad tee shot. The other is to show the effects of poor course management. In these descriptions, how many bad tee shots have been followed up with a sensible wedge back to the middle of the fairway? Most (including myself) followed a bad tee shot with an attempt to make the green, or a hybrid out of the weeds, or something like that. That's where you really start to add strokes.

Perhaps an even better question is: when the fairway is narrow, why do we insist on hitting driver?

--------------------------
"There are only 3 kinds of people in this world -- Those who can count, and those who can't."

Ha! Good Fun!

From what I'm reading most blow up holes seem to occur after a bad tee shot. You don't hear about to many 9's and 10's being the result of getting on the green in regulation (or even one or two over) and then 5, 6, and 7 putting on the green...

Today I double bogeyed a par 5 after reaching the green in regulation and four putted!

So much for my theory...

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

Note: This thread is 5652 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!