IGNORED

Baseball Playoff Talk

Grndslmhttr3
Note: This thread is 5649 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I haven't heard anyone complaining about payrolls, considering that the BoSox had the fourth highest payroll in MLB for 2008 (behind the two NY teams and Detroit). Perhaps I missed a post where this was mentioned...

It was an attempt at humor.

As for Girardi, I'd like to see any manager overcome losing his ace for the entire year two months into the season, have 2/5ths of his projected starting rotation either get injured (Hughes, again) or not pan out (Ian Kennedy). The team also converts Jaba to a starter, who was lights out, to only have him get hurt and lose him for six weeks. He also loses his starting LF and had his CF absolutely stink. Then, he loses arguably the best offensive catcher for most of the season, Jorge Posada. Never mind his impact as a field general and someone his teammates trust. That's the problem with a $200mm payroll. You lose someone and it becomes increasingly difficult to replace that player without giving up your best prospect. Example: Xavier Nady trade. The Yankees will live to regret trading Jose Tabata. Or you trade someone who, at the time, was important and having a dynamite season, Kyle Farnsworth for a rental player in Pudge. I think Girardi did a great job. 89 wins with all that happening. Hopefully, some smart moves: not resigning Abreau, trading Hughes, Kennedy, Melky, and getting someone like Mike Cameron to man CF until Austin Jackson is ready will help the team. So would signing Texeira, a need and someone like AJ Burnett or CC Sabathia. You need guys who can K people in the playoffs. You should know. You have Josh Beckett. Every time the Sox need a big out here he comes with a 97MPH fastball on the black or at the belly button and it's inning over.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dodgers here we come baby!

This is why I think that the Phillies should have their third MVP in a row: Brad Lidge. With all the talk about K-Rod, Lidge was deemed a castoff and given up on. He responded by looking like the Lidge that closed games for that Astro team that went to the WS. The guy has been INCREDIBLE.

Should be a great series. Freaking Manny has been incredible for LA. The guy hit 400 over 55 games and average an RBI per game. I don't know who'll win and I don't really have a prediction other than it should be a great series.

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

It was an attempt at humor.

I should have embellished the "Girardi's not the answer" comment. Torre should not have been left to walk, so that's Steinbrenner's meddling coming back to bite them. Then you hav "Hammerin' Hank" riding Girardi's compression shorts all season, and it's a wonder that he could hit the 89 Wins mark. My main point of contention is how Torre was let go - classless move for a classy guy. Injuries happen to everyone, so I don't buy that for any team - even though it's used as a crutch all the time (myself included). They're all pros, so someome has to step up to fill in the spots (although losing Chien-Ming Wang for 60 days in mid-June did not do you any favors...) I don't get the Nady trade - I agree with that. but, Damaso Marte could make for a decent mid reliever (side bar - when does Pavano's contract expire?). Re: Becket: he is post-season gold, but don't overlook John Lester. 24 years old, and probably Ace #1A is the Sox rotation IMHO...

Injuries happen to everyone, so I don't buy that for any team - even though it's used as a crutch all the time (myself included). They're all pros, so someome has to step up to fill in the spots (although losing Chien-Ming Wang for 60 days in mid-June did not do you any favors...)

I agree. I don't use injuries as an excuse. I'm more pointing out how having a max payroll limits the ability to address those injuries without weakening your current roster or creating less value at the minor league level.

I will forever be pissed that they did not trade Melky, Hughes and Kennedy for Johan Santana. Like I said, originally, I would have helped all three pack, driven them to the airport, called a local Minnesota real-estate agent and found them an apartment. It was a no-brainer. I don't know if you listen to NY sports on ESPN radio. Max Kellerman, who is brilliant when it comes to boxing, spent the entire day making these ridiculous trades and how they would work. For example, Robinson Cano and Hideki Matsui for Ichiro. Yeah, because Seattle is dumb enough to trade the face of the franchise for a 2nd basemen they don't need and a mediocre defensive outfielder with bad wheels and limited offensive capabilities for...a 1st ballot HOF. I love Lester. Lots of composure, moxie, tough as nails and he's a lefty. I swear, watching these Red Sox is like watching the Yankees of the mid-to-late 90s: Just enough offense, great starting pitching, good setup men and a dominant closer. If they manage to win another WS, the new argument will be: Who's better? The Yanks of the mid-to-late 90s or the Sox from 2004 through 2008. Hmmm, I smell a new thread.

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

I love Lester. Lots of composure, moxie, tough as nails and he's a lefty. I swear, watching these Red Sox is like watching the Yankees of the mid-to-late 90s: Just enough offense, great starting pitching, good setup men and a dominant closer.

Your comparison between the Sox & Yankees is spot-on to a discussion I was having with a few buddies just yesterday. It is eerily similar when comparing the profiles between the two, and for me, I'd take 4 WS titles in 5 years.

Here's to hoping that this potential thread is validated with a back-to-back title defense this year.

Dodgers here we come baby!

Man this is going to be a awesome series. I think it goes to a game 6 or 7 with the Dodgers coming out on top. This is a complete non biased opinion.

Exodus bag
R7 Dual Driver, R7 3w
CGB Rescue 3
CGB max 4-PW
CG11 Black Pearl 52* Vokey Spin Milled 56/14 CG11 Black Pearl 60* Black Series 1

Man this is going to be a awesome series. I think it goes to a game 6 or 7 with the Dodgers coming out on top. This is a complete non biased opinion.

Clearly, because your location isn't LA or anything!

But it shall be a very good series indeed. I must say, the Cubs did get smoked .

-Rich

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Tonights games:
Tampa Bay - Chicago WS (game 4) at Chicago. TB leads 2-1.
I think the first game will see both pitchers give up some runs. I say Chicago wins tonight 7-4.

Boston - LAA (game 4) at Boston. Boston leads 2-1.
Boston wins tonight easily. Bats get going bigtime. Boston 10 - LAA 2. (i may be reaching here...)

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

I'm not, I hate the Red Sox.

Seems like you'll have oppty for some more hatin'. Are you an Eagles fan? How's the NFC East cellar treatin' them? Gotta love being 0-2 in the Division after only 5 games. I hope the Phillies can keep it goin' for ya...

It will be the Tampa Bay Rays and the Dodgers in the World Series. My new home team and my old home team!! I love em' both! Gotta root for the Rays however!! They are that cinderella story.

Tools of my game:
Burner 09' Driver 10.5 Reg flex
5-pw G10's/ plus Taylormade R7 4 iron
Burner 08' 4 Hybrid
A70S 3 Hybrid Burner 09' 3 wood "Zing" SW 56 degree Fastback Laser range finder / plus Skycaddie SG5...also a great ball retriever!!

Seems like you'll have oppty for some more hatin'.

Eh, the Eagles are a pretty big disappointment right now, but I probably wouldn't care anyway as long as the Phils are in the playoffs. I mainly focus on the Flyers and the Phillies, though. I'd rather be an Eagles fan than a Bengals fan right now, anyway.

-Rich

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So what has the Phils line up looked like lately. Are we going to see Rollins or Victorino leading off. I think when they came to LA it was Rollins,Utley, Howard, Burrell.
Im kind of pissed about the 130 Friday start time. Half of LA is going to have to call in sick.

Exodus bag
R7 Dual Driver, R7 3w
CGB Rescue 3
CGB max 4-PW
CG11 Black Pearl 52* Vokey Spin Milled 56/14 CG11 Black Pearl 60* Black Series 1

Usual line-up:

Rollins
Victorino
Utley
Howard
Burrell
Werth
Feliz
Ruiz
Pitcher

Sometimes Charlie Manuel will swap Vic and Werth in the line-up, and he may start Dobbs at third against LA's righties (Feliz on the bench)... Should be a good series, at least 6 games worth, hopefully ending in a Philly trip to the WS.

Any LA fans up for a friendly wager? I've a got a cheesteak from John's Roast Pork that says Philly wins, to go against one of your Fatburgers...

Or a six-pack of Victory Hop Devil against a six-pack of ....ummm, what's a good LA microbrew? Stone's is from SD, I think; don't know of any others from southern California.

Usual line-up:

I dont know about shipping a Fat Burger, but Im in for a six pack.( Is that legal to ship). Its just too bad LA has no good Microbrews, Angel City tastes similar to warm King Cobra.

We do have Firestone an hour north, but I think its nation wide so it wouldnt be much of a microbrew.

Exodus bag
R7 Dual Driver, R7 3w
CGB Rescue 3
CGB max 4-PW

Note: This thread is 5649 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!