IGNORED

Justin Timberlake on Golf Digest Cover

JYB
Note: This thread is 5678 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

By Justin Timberlake (not his real name, guranteed) being put on the cover of GOLF DIGEST, that publication is feeding into the same crap that keeps this country down - if you're not famous, then you are nothing.

JYB

Cmon dude, are you having a rough day? Golf Digest cares about golf and what Timberlake is doing for golf is above and beyond what most celebrities are doing. The article states that he's pumped in $16 million to re-do this course AND KEEP IT PUBLIC . This is on top of the $800,000 he spent to make sure it was not turned into a condominium complex. He's also created a 9 hole course that he envisions will become home to the First Tee of Memphis. In addition, he's hosting a tourney in Vegas, this month, where the proceeds are going to children with needs. The guy loves golf and first picked up a club when he was five years old. This was all in the article. All good, important information. Moreover, read the passages where he says he tries to avoid doing anything golf related that brings attention to him and not the game. The guy was under an allergy attack at the US Open and continued playing because he did not want the story to be about him getting sick. As for relating to him, yup, I do. A kid who was a product of divorced that was accepted and nurtured by a compassionate step-father that grows up living his dream and giving back to the community. That's Justin Timberlake. If you can't appreciate that, then....I'm shocked. BTW, I grew up in NYC and find it rather offensive that you think if you're not a celebrity then you're worthless. This only applies to people who kill themselves trying to get into Tenjune on a Saturday night. There are millions of people in NY who would disagree with that statement.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

I think JYB must be having a bad day, or Justin Timberlake killed his puppy or something

What's in my bag:
Cleveland Hibore XLS Monster Driver
TourEdge Exotics 2,3,4 hybrid irons
Tommy Armour 845cs Silverbacks 5-PW
Assorted wedges, Ping Scottsdale Anser

• Administrator
self worth doesn't have to do with celebrity but that's not the case in New York.

If I lived in New York, I'd feel the same way. And I dated a girl for five years in New York. I think it's more you than "New York."

and btw, if i don't represent the "youth" generation, then nobody does.

Full of yourself much? Geez.

If you want to bring people into the game, then give them a chance to see it, experience it.

Which is just what Justin Timberlake is doing. Perhaps you should read the article before you go all "I represent the youth of the nation" on us.

Most of the time, golf is way to expensive for people to get involved in so putting Justin Timberlake on a cover of golf digest and defending that with, "it will bring young people into the game" is absolutely retarded.

And you got your degree in marketing where? Maybe an image and article about Duffy Waldorf would have been better? Or John Daly? I think not.

Golf Digest cares about golf and what Timberlake is doing for golf is above and beyond what most celebrities are doing. The article states that he's pumped in $16 million to re-do this course

Sure sounds pretty awesome to me. Sure sounds like he's using that celebrity for a lot of good, eh?

In addition, he's hosting a tourney in Vegas, this month, where the proceeds are going to children with needs.

Shame on Golf Digest for promoting a guy who's doing so much for the game. Shame on them!

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Whatever you people want to think is fine by me but the game isn't going to gain any new players or fans because Justin Timberlake is on the cover of Golf Digest.

If you want to expand the game to younger people, you'll make the game accessible to them.

I.e. basketball is easily accessible and popular to all because it's inexpensive to play. All you need is a hoop (any public park) and a ball and you're set to go.

Golf? You need clubs, you need tons of land, you need that land designed into a "course", you need balls, you need etc. etc. more and more. It's not cheap, it's not easily accessible (especially in New York or other urban areas).

Justin Timberlake, although now more of a "public celebrity" appeals to young girls and people who listen to hip hop/pop music, not aspiring athletes. My whole point about this is that using him as a way to reach a younger generation is imo, a weak attempt.

If you want to bring young people in, you'll make golf a phys ed class in public schools and you'll give kids a chance to see what courses like Westchester Country Club, Apawamis & Doral look like. You'll show them how nice the game is, how elegant and wonderfully challenging it can be. You won't try to lure them in with images of a wealthy pop icon and what he or she has.

• Administrator
Whatever you people want to think is fine by me but the game isn't going to gain any new players or fans because Justin Timberlake is on the cover of Golf Digest.

And you continue to miss the point that the purpose of the cover of Golf Digest is not to gain new players.

If you want to expand the game to younger people, you'll make the game accessible to them.

Like dumping millions of dollars into the First Tee and into maintaining a public golf course? Hmmm. Heaven forbid we promote or talk about people doing good for the game of golf, regardless of who they are.

And you sure as heck can't argue that a celebrity doing something great for the game of golf is worse than a wealthy but anonymous guy doing something great. Celebrity will get more coverage - positive coverage - of the game of golf.
My whole point about this is that using him as a way to reach a younger generation is imo, a weak attempt.

And again, you seem to miss the point: they're not "using him as a way to reach a younger generation." You seem to be assigning a goal to Golf Digest that Golf Digest hasn't set for themselves. You can't just say "this is their goal" and then "they failed!"

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Justin Timberlake is a HUGE golf fanatic. He loves the game as several of us here do.

Just because he is Justin Timberlake somehow makes him not representative of the golf lovers in the population? Ridiculous.

This thread was very intertaining. iacas owned it.

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

i don't get the point of the article then.

Bingo!!!!!!!!!

In the
AMP Cart Bag
Driver : 3Dx Square Tour 8°
3 Wood : 4DX
2H : Edge CFT TitaniumIrons : M685 3-PWWedges : CG12 Satin 54° and 58°Putter : Odyssey White XG #9 33"Balls : Staff ZIP

Okay, first of all, I don't think the point of the article was to bring kids into golf. I think it was to interview a celebrity (during the silly season) who has strong ties to the game and who is putting his money where his mouth is. [mandatory pause for brief fantasy about Jessica Biehl covered in money]

But anyway . . .
I.e. basketball is easily accessible and popular to all because it's inexpensive to play. All you need is a hoop (any public park) and a ball and you're set to go.

If you are so concerned about the issue, get out there and volunteer for The First Tee. There's one right there in the Bronx: http://www.thefirstteemetny.org/Club.../Home/home.asp They provide clubs, balls, the course, education, and instruction for a minimal charge (or no charge for needy families.) Timberlake is making a difference. Will you?
i don't get the point of the article then. to me it makes GD look like GQ and that's that.

Seriously, did you actually read the article? Because it sounds like you skimmed it at best. It seems like you are the only one getting that vibe from the article.

I guess that in the past, golf should have just kissed off Bing Crosby and his clambakes, Bob Hope and his Classic, and celebrities through the years such as Jack Lemmon, Bill Murray, Jackie Gleason, George Lopez and others who have been actors or celebrities and also ambassadors for the game. Golf and celebrity are and have always been inextricably linked.

The key is that celebrities are sometimes ambassadors for the game. It doesn't mean that I necessarily endorse or even like their music, movie or whatever, but that through their fame they can help to grow the game and attract maybe even a few people who would never have thought of playing the game until they saw a certain celeb play. They mostly raise money for charity when they play on these televised golf tournaments, and even though some of them are not very good at golf, well, they seem to have fun and raise money all the same.

If Timberlake has already saved his childhood golf course, given back to the game and otherwise brought even one more golfer on board via his fame and name, well, then that might merit his inclusion in the magazine once as a featured interview.

Like I said above, it sure beats another article about how to add 40 yards to my drive or how to sink more putts; when was the last time one of those articles actually worked?

Driver: Titleist 905T 11.5*

Hybrids: Cleveland HALO Hybrids 19*, 22*

Irons Snake Eyes Python O/S irons (I carry 5,7,9,A irons)

Wedges: Adams Tom Watson SW 56* (sometimes carry Adams Tom Watson LW 60*)

Putter: Odyssey Dual Force 2 Rossie or Tommy Armour EFT Series Model 6

I think that a point that is being missed is that Golf Digest also included a wonderful article on golf course design and architecture. Regardless of what you think of the Timberlake article (which I personally enjoyed), Golf Digest made a concerted effort to cover a serious, in-depth topic which all serious golf fans can enjoy. Timberlake being on the cover is a good way to sell magazines. However, his interview only ran say... 8 pages? Max? My point is that Golf Digest made a serious golf magazine with in-depth information first and foremost. The Timberlake article was an enjoyable read which appeals to many golf fans as well. It is impossible not to recognize what he is doing for golf. As many others have stated, he's in it for the game and the kids, not for his own personal benefit.

great, go ahead and keep sucking celebrities off in this bullcrap american celebrity driven culture.

I think that this kind of talk and the devil references are ridiculous. Personaly I don't want to read and or hear this kind of filth. Either say it in a more respectfull way or keep it to yourself.

In My Limited Edition "Sir Isaac Newton Caricature" Big Bertha Tour Bag:
Driver: Big Bertha Fusion Ft-3
Hybrid: Big Bertha Heavenwood 3h
Irons And Wedges: Big Bertha X-12 3-Sw And
60* Vokey Spin Milled Oil-Can Lob-WedgePutter: White Hot Xg Sabertooth and a Futura Phantom Balls: Hx Hot Bite...

I am not a fan of JT'smusic, but I read the interview and he comes across as a thoroughly decent guy with a genuine love for the game. He respects its traditions and wants it to be a part of other peoples' lives.
It's also a pretty interesting article. The OP is out of line.

Not overly crazy about it either. I guess it is entainment.

Celebrity + Golf skillz = magazine cover.

EDGE stand bag
S9-1 PRO S - Matrix XCON 6
Rapture 14 degree Aldila VS
DWS Baffler 2 Hybrid Adila stiff
A7 4 hybrid USTAXIVAP1 710 5-GW KBS StiffCG14 - 54.1262.07 Vokey Spin MilledWhite Ice BladeGolf BallsBlack TP & Pro V1x

Not overly crazy about it either. I guess it is entainment.

You mean Celebrity + Golf Skillz + Volunteer Work + Funding Tournaments and courses + owning a golf course = magazine cover.

In the
AMP Cart Bag
Driver : 3Dx Square Tour 8°
3 Wood : 4DX
2H : Edge CFT TitaniumIrons : M685 3-PWWedges : CG12 Satin 54° and 58°Putter : Odyssey White XG #9 33"Balls : Staff ZIP

Jack Nicholson was on the cover a few months back... I enjoyed the cover photography and the article.

What's in my bag:
Cleveland Hibore XLS Monster Driver
TourEdge Exotics 2,3,4 hybrid irons
Tommy Armour 845cs Silverbacks 5-PW
Assorted wedges, Ping Scottsdale Anser

Note: This thread is 5678 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!