IGNORED

Shafts for Drivers and fairway woods?

Note: This thread is 6587 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

A high bend point shaft has a firmer tip feel at impact and may produce a lower shot trajectory. A low bend point shaft has a softer tip feel at impact and may produce a higher shot trajectory. Mid bend point shafts are in-between. The actual point on the shaft where the bend point is located is only a couple inches difference between a low and high bend point. Bend point, kick point, and flex point all mean the same thing.

Cool, since my trajectory is a little low with my current driver (see below), im thinking of getting a 905R 9.5* with a low kick point shaft. I just need to figure out whether I should go with a regular or stiff flexed shaft.

Question, what typically happens when someone swings to fast using a regular flexed shaft on a driver..or someone swings to slow using a stiff flexed shaft? I am afraid that if I switch to a regular flex..my fade starts turning into slices.
IN MY BAG! OGIO VIPER
driver: Titleist 905T 10.5* - Fujikura TP 26.3 Stiff
3wood: Titleist 904F 15* - Fujikura TP 27.3 Stiff
5wood: Titleist 904F 19* - Fujikura Speeder Stiff
irons: Titleist 735cm Chrome - DGS300 Stiffwedges: Cleveland CG10 Black Pearl (52*, 56*, 60*)putter: Ping G2i Anserball:...

A high bend point shaft has a firmer tip feel at impact and may produce a lower shot trajectory. A low bend point shaft has a softer tip feel at impact and may produce a higher shot trajectory. Mid bend point shafts are in-between. The actual point on the shaft where the bend point is located is only a couple inches difference between a low and high bend point. Bend point, kick point, and flex point all mean the same thing.

Since I am in the gray area of regular/regular+ shaft, could the stiff flex on my driver be one of the factors to why I am always fighting a fade? I just want to make sure that these fades doesn't turn into slices if I go with a regular flexed shaft.

IN MY BAG! OGIO VIPER
irons: Titleist 735cm Chrome - DGS300 Stiffwedges: Cleveland CG10 Black Pearl (52*, 56*, 60*)putter: Ping G2i Anserball:...

In my experience a shaft that isn't stiff enough will be a nightmare to control. You see the two fairway woods in my signature? They are next to useless because they are too whippy. I've got no love for those clubs simply because the shafts are wrong for me.

I found that you can hook, slice, draw, fade, push, pull, duck hook, you name it with a shaft that isn't stiff enough. Generally, I hit nasty little pull hooks with a regular shaft.

When I reshafted the driver with a stiff shaft it didn't solve all my swing faults but it enabled me to be much more consistent and longer off the tee. A couple of weeks ago I reached places I've never reached with driver simply because of the shaft change plus I was between the trees. So, if you are on the edge and have an aggressive swing, don't bother with a regular shaft. I really go after the ball, particularly with driver and a stiff shaft is necessary. I measured my swing speed at above 100 mph several months ago. Stiiff shafts are making a real difference in terms of distance and accuracy.

Just my two cents.

Jeff

10.5° Callaway FT-iZ Tour

18°, 20°, 23° Adams Idea Pro Prototype Hybrid

4-9 Titleist 690.CB
48° Titleist Vokey Tour Nickel
54°, 58° Titleist Vokey Tour Oil Can

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Cool, since my trajectory is a little low with my current driver (see below), im thinking of getting a 905R 9.5* with a low kick point shaft. I just need to figure out whether I should go with a regular or stiff flexed shaft.

I say regular because you can always remove the shaft and tip it (Make sure you order the club longer than normal to allow cutting in the future)

Question, what typically happens when someone swings to fast using a regular flexed shaft on a driver..or someone swings to slow using a stiff flexed shaft? I am afraid that if I switch to a regular flex..my fade starts turning into slices.

fast with regular can lead to a draw/hook and slow with stiff can lead to fade/slice

I say regular because you can always remove the shaft and tip it (Make sure you order the club longer than normal to allow cutting in the future)

This brings up another question...Is it true that you can't pull another shaft from a driver and put it on another driver, especially on a bore through driver?

IN MY BAG! OGIO VIPER

Bore through and blind bores makes pulls difficult because of the different shaft pullers used, the amount of trimming and different tip sizes. Generally not easy to switch shafts from one head to another.

Bore through and blind bores makes pulls difficult because of the different shaft pullers used, the amount of trimming and different tip sizes. Generally not easy to switch shafts from one head to another.

So by this you mean that I won't be able to use the shaft I have on my 905T and put it on my 905R?

IN MY BAG! OGIO VIPER

• Administrator
So by this you mean that I won't be able to use the shaft I have on my 905T and put it on my 905R?

Titleist would have to do that anyway with the aluminum sleeve thing, and since you have to buy a shaft with your 905R, why not just get the right shaft? They don't offer it as a custom option? The list is pretty long...

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Some questions, what are you looking for? your swing speed is? where is the ball going? how far? do you really need the stiff shaft? when you check your swing speed do you use your normal golf swing or trying to see how fast you can swing and get the stiff shaf.

R7 9.5 S Shaft
560 R7 quad R shaft
RAC LT irons
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum

Some questions, what are you looking for? your swing speed is? where is the ball going? how far? do you really need the stiff shaft? when you check your swing speed do you use your normal golf swing or trying to see how fast you can swing and get the stiff shaf.

I am looking for a shaft to put on a my 905R. I am always fighting a fade with my current driver (see below) so I am looking for a shaft that will maybe help me control that fade and launch the ball a little higher. Here are some of the stats taken when I was at the launch monitor: swing speed- 95mph ball speed - 133mph launch angle - 13*-16* I really don't need a stiff shaft but I do find my drives to be more consistent with a stiff shaft than a regular..but I find my drives longer with a regular shaft but not as consistent.
IN MY BAG! OGIO VIPER

I like the Adila 65S driver. It is a bit heavier than some so that should help straighten out your drive. Also try the Speeder 757. Have fun shopping!!

Rick T.
A Big Equipment Freak!!!
Life is too short not to tried everything out there

In the BagDriver: SuperQuad 10.5 REG BABYWoods: TP 3 or 5 woods R7 stiffIrons: AP1 4-PW w/Project X 5.5Wedge: Spin milled 54 (bent to 52) 56 & Special Grind "P" 60Putter: Gauge Design Japan " The Balde"Ball:...

Did the test tell you if your club face is open at impact or if your swing is a little outside to in. you may need to check the swing path and/or a little stronger grip. New shafts are great but if you really don't need one because of a swing flaw or set up and can always use the money for green fees.

R7 9.5 S Shaft
560 R7 quad R shaft
RAC LT irons
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum

• Administrator
Ditto. Plus your spin rate is really a required piece of info in fitting a shaft.

Read the "science van" article on the site. Fitting a driver is a bit like black magic. Sometimes the "proper" shaft gets an "X" on the fitting sheet because it behaves so poorly. Sad to say, but though we can point you in the right direction, we can't find the right shaft for you.

That's part of the reason I'll always recommend checking out your swing first. Much easier to solve problems there than "fit over the Internet."

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 weeks later...
I'm a UST guy.
DBake
Titleist 909D3 10.5* Tour Green 89 Stiff
Titleist 906F2 15* v2 85 Stiff
Mizuno MP-30 2-PW S300
Mizuno MP-R 52* & 59*Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5Titleist Pro V1Leupold GX-1The Home Course (75.7/130)

I have a graffaloy blue. I hit it with a mid trajectory and my swing speed is around the strong club pro. I really like this because the ball dosen't balloon up but rises slowly, just like my rifle spinner shaft. I think you should try the nvs shafts from adila, they are sweet. I also have a question for everybody. On my three wood, I want to change the shaft. I don't like the nippon, it feels good but Sometimes I balloon the ball so high, that I lose massive distance, especially going for 2 on the par 5's. So I was thinking of Steel Shafts: Project X, DGX100, Graphite:Adila NVS, Tour Platform, 757. Plz give me some reccomendations, Its spring time and my equpment has to be perfect,lol.

I saw some picks, it looks really nice, I also might go with the evolution because oj is my color. If icould a get an orange steel shaft. lol. Is there any place around 60061 to demo the shaft or something. It looks fine, the weight I'm not a hundred percent sure but I want to try. I don't like whippy because then you need a slow tempo to keep it smoothe,lol. Really nice looking, I checked the site out. I also might go with one of those nvs shafts. I prefer a steel shaft because of the accuracy and trajectory but if graphite will give me consistency, then I go what's best. Thanks

I'm going through exactly what your are going through. I put a post over on golfdiscussions this morning. My post is as follows:

Demo day finally came around to my local range. I went out wanting to hit the hibore and r7 460. 3 hours later, and worn out, I think I enjoyed the Ping G5 the most. I hit the Titleist 905R towards the end of the day and had good experiences with this, but the Ping seemed to feel the softest and best to me. But I have a question for you guys with more experience than me, which is just about all on this board.:
I've always been told I need a stiff shaft from just about all I've talked too. My swing speed is around 95 plus or minus...probably towards 100 when warmed up. My swing has limited range on the backswing due to all my weightlifting past, but somewhat a smooth fast tempo. When I got to the Ping tent, he gave me a G5 9 deg. with NV65 Stiff shaft. I had good results...medium to low ball flight which was pleasing to my eye. After watching me, he told me to try a 10.5 deg. with a Prolaunch Blue Reg shaft, telling me that this shaft had less torque and might be better for my type of swing...and maybe elliminate a slight tail fade that showed up every now and then. I was skeptical, but gave it a shot. This shaft 'felt' much better, or felt softer to me. The results were also good, slightly higher ball flight, and according to the reps, longer as well...my eyes are not as good as they used to be. This was all visual, no vector machine was available. I'm not sure I understand the torque thing. When I checked the numbers, I see the PL Blue has a value of 2.8, where the NV 65 has a value of 3.5. All this I'm trying to digest. I want the more forgiving of the two, but by forgiving I want a better chance of not producing a fade/slice or hook, with less thought to distance. I would love to hear some more explanation of how torque affects the flight of the ball with different swings. I'd also like to hear from anyone who thought they should be in a stiff shaft, but found they do better all around with a Reg shaft, considering torque values.

I ramble...Greatly appreciate everyone's time.
Randy Kight

• Administrator
Shaft/driver fitting is as much art as it is science. It sounds like you're right between an S and an R flex shaft. Even pros use high lofted drivers, and too many people think a low ball flight = lots of roll and good distance when ideally you want very little roll and mostly carry (saves you running through fairways when you do hook or fade the ball, too).

Torque is rotational force. Lower numbers indicate less rotation. I forget how torque works, frankly. One is more forgiving on off-center hits while the other will help you work the ball... or something like that. That being said, 2.8 and 3.5 and almost all shaft torques are very similar these days.

If you hit something well, stick with it. It sounds like you did.

Note: This thread is 6587 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!