IGNORED

Racism in America?

julie_m
Note: This thread is 5657 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Anyway, I haven't put in my 2cents on whether the question was 'racist'...

I don't think it was. Just awkward and inelegantly put. First of all, as has already been pointed out, the scenario of Obama deciding who sleeps in the Lincoln bedroom should have been stated as a hypothetical rather than a fait accompli.

But my guess is it was meant to inspire a rumination on the possible historical nature of a Black man in the Whitehouse getting to choose who sleeps in the bedroom of the man who helped end slavery.

What's in my bag:
Cleveland Hibore XLS Monster Driver
TourEdge Exotics 2,3,4 hybrid irons
Tommy Armour 845cs Silverbacks 5-PW
Assorted wedges, Ping Scottsdale Anser

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pat007, from one secret agent to another - this is the off-topic forum. Respectful debate and discussion on topics unrelated to golf is what the Grill is primarily for.

Yes, I realize that. But, that being said, there are a bunch of people on here that can't put their ideas into words properly and it ends up being a name-calling free-for all. I'm all for discussion, don't get me wrong, as long as it's done in a civil manner. As we have seen in the past, there have been threads about blacks in golf, and it turned into a racial stereotype-fest. As iacas can attest, one user even got booted and his posts were removed due to its racial content. I have no problem with discussing racial issues in a rational adult-like manner, but in forums like this everyone can hide behind a cloak of annonimity that the internet provides. Having majored in sociology and psychology, I've seen it where people feel very free to say whatever they want from behind a computer, but don't have the guts to say it to someone else. The biggots come out of the woodwork on formus like this is all I'm really saying.

... I wonder how the media would have reacted if McCain was buddies with Bill Ayers?...

The media wouldn't have reacted the same way because I believe the Obama campaign wouldn't make it an issue to cloud the minds of voters in the first place. I'm still undecided on this election and there is still one debate left for McCain to resurrect his failed campaign, but its becoming harder and harder to take McCain seriously.

Unfortunately, his constituents don't make it easier either. How can I side with a campaign that had this old white woman take the mic and yell that she wouldn't vote for Obama because he's an Arab. McCain's response? 'No Ma'am, he's a decent man with a decent family...' It sickens me to believe that there are still people in the world today that can be so blind to the truth. I did a google search the other day to find some conservative blogs and what they're writing about - it appears they have lost faith in McCain too. There was an article in another thread that perfectly points out that this election should be over now. Please spare America the dirty tricks that have been going on for too long - its this culture that I feel has brooded in the American psyche for too long and it shows with how Wall Street has evolved - lies, denial, and greed. I know Wall Street's problems are a far cry from racism in this country, but I don't think its a coincidence - its the fundamentals that shape the more complicated decisions in life and that is exactly what has been compromised - THE FUNDAMENTALS - all men are created equal! But the fundamentals of the economy are strong, right? DONCHAKNOW

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

... to their credit, australia has given apology for their abuses but i think they should give up all their lands and go back to england.

Wow, I hadn't thought of that. Thanks so much

ganjagolfer . How could've I missed it. Sure thing, I'll start packing my bags immediately. It'll probably take me a little time to sell my house. On second thought, I'll just leave it empty. I don't have British citizenship but that won't matter will it? If I take a copy of your post with me I'm sure British immigration will understand. Any suggestions which part of England I should head for??

Any suggestions which part of England I should head for??

Manchester. They have two pretty good football teams there!

My Equipment:
Northwestern 3-, 5-, 7- and 9-wood;
Goldwin AVDP Irons (5-10 plus PW);
U.S. Golf 60 degree wedge;
See-More Putter; Bushnell Yardage Pro 1000 Rangefinder;Golflogix GPS.

Today we watched the PBS debates to be Texas' US Senator. The answers were kept short and time was left at the end, so they went into a "wild card" round with a mixed bag of questions from the panel of moderators.

IMO, this question wasn't even a question for the challenger. It seems (to me) that it was intended to anger the audience and pull the "race card" back into the picture (not that it had ever exited). What weight does the actual question have?

Racism in America? Absolutely....and it has as much power as you and I and everyone else give it....

Wow, I hadn't thought of that. Thanks so much

why don't you just marry an aboriginee? sounds a whole lot simpler. might take a little effort to learn how to play the didgeridoo but that would be cool. i'm sure they would let you still play golf. michael campbell is a descendant of the maori tribesman and he plays golf and does the haka warrior dance in preparation for big events.

They will beat their swords into golf clubs and their spears into putters. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. Old Tom Morris 2:4

ganjagolfer

I seen that too. I'll agree.

In my Pro-Walker stand bag:

Driver: Founders Club "The Judge" Graphite shaft (benched for bad play)
3-wood: 15* steel shaft
5 & 7-wood: Velocitized BBT Oversized Graphite Shaft Medium Flex 21* & 25*3-iron: Wilson Sam Snead Blue Ridge (benched for bad play)4-SW: Maker's Pride irons steel shaftsP...

Oh come on, he's very funny at times. I think part of the problem is that there are a lot of folk around here who can't tell when he's joking

What's in my bag:

Errr.....as far as original topic, was the question intentionally racist? No. Was it poorly worded? Yes.

Where I play: Mission Viejo CC and
long Beach Skylinks

In My Red Cleveland Club Count Bag Today;
Hibore XLS 11.5* w/ Diamana Redboard Flowerband 63 S 2009 Launcher 3WD HT 17* w/ Graffalloy Epic 87g S Hibore XLS Hybrid 22* w/ Graffalloy Epic S and 25* w/ Project X 6.0 CG2 4-PW w/ Project X 6.0 HL...

AAAAND yet another reason I can't be associated with the GOP - http://www.npr.org/blogs/politics/20..._ugliness.html

Might as well have been a KKK rally from the sounds of it.

In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

AAAAND yet another reason I can't be associated with the GOP -

This is different from

this how? Also, is there any possibility that this/these nuisances were planted? I'm not sure letting the media (left or right) dictate where you stand.... Just my opinion though.

This is different from

Different because one is a direct death threat and the other isn't. Plus npr isn't exactly left or right.

This is different from

Different because one is a direct death threat and the other isn't. Plus npr isn't exactly left or right.

Plus, maybe they got the idea calling Sarah Palin that word was okay with McCain given that he's referred to his as such in front of reporters and aides:

Three reporters from Arizona, on the condition of anonymity, also let me in on another incident involving McCain's intemperateness. In his 1992 Senate bid, McCain was joined on the campaign trail by his wife, Cindy, as well as campaign aide Doug Cole and consultant Wes Gullett. At one point, Cindy playfully twirled McCain's hair and said, "You're getting a little thin up there." McCain's face reddened, and he responded, "At least I don't plaster on the makeup like a trollop, you ****." McCain's excuse was that it had been a long day. If elected president of the United States, McCain would have many long days.

reference:

http://rawstory.com/news/2008/McCain...n_92_0407.html

What's in my bag:

• Administrator

Frankly, the both of them are examples of disgusting behavior. I don't think anyone should be defending either of them, even if that defense is saying "that's worse."

And let's keep it above board guys.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Frankly, the both of them are examples of disgusting behavior. I don't think anyone should be defending either of them, even if that defense is saying "that's worse."

I completely agree. My intent was not to defend either behavior, buy to point out hypocrisy as well as give an example of McCain's 'character' and explosive temper. But that's off-topic for this thread. Apologies.

What's in my bag:

Note: This thread is 5657 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!