IGNORED

20+ handicappers hitting 300 yards (mild rant)

Note: This thread is 1532 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just to throw in my 2 cents at the end of this long discussion. As my profile shows, I'm about a 17 handicap, improving fairly rapidly (starting playing in June, have knocked about 6-8 strokes off my handicap). I got a GPS for Christmas. Never really knew how far I drove the ball before then other than estimations (would've guessed my average was 230-240). Today was a good example, though, I think of how a 15-20 handicapper can play. It was breezy today (15-20 mph winds) so downwind holes played shirt and vice versa. I record the distance of all my drives w/my GPS, including mishits, shots in the rough, etc, and average them all at the end of the round. For the day, I averaged 226.2 yards on my drives. But, I had 3 drives of 270 yards or more (295, 272, 270). All three of those were downwind. Holes that played crosswind I hit drives between 210 and 235, and then there were of course the few mishits (150, 172, 195). I doubt I could pop a drive 300 w/no wind, but the fact that I hit it 295 today means I can get in the neighborhood on occasion with some wind. But, my average is

Applause for the honesty! I'm guessing you won't be 17 handicap for long.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

When you were generating high ss did you ever feel the ball compress on the club? I have only felt that feeling a few times. it feels like your hitting an orange not a golfball...mostly since the surface of the ball expands more than the average impact...for a millisecond...

If you're not honest about your own game, the chances of improving are pretty slim....at least that's my philosophy. I'm hoping to be down in the 10 range by the end of the summer. I'm going to to make a career change and head to a golf academy to get an associate's in PGM (currently finishing up my master's in atmospheric science). As a 17 handicap, if I can't be honest about my game I'm going to get stuck there and my dreams of passing the PAT in a couple years will quickly go down the drain.

I see you're from Austin...any course recommendations in the area? I'm over in College Station and am always looking for a new course to play w/in an hour or two drive.

What I play:

Driver: XLS Hibore 9.5* Fit-On Red (S)
Woods: Tour XPC 16* Graffaloy ProLite (S)
Hybrid: Exotics 3HIrons: Reid Lockhart 3-SWWedge: rac 60*Putter: a crappy $20 Academy putter (but it works!)

Austin has lots of courses! I guess it depends how much you want to spend I guess.

There's BlueBonnet Hill and Riverside GC as cheaper public courses.

As far as municipals go, there is Hancock (9-hole course... I don't really like it... it's odd! Supposedly I think the oldest course in texas), Morris-Williams (play here often since it's close to campus -- the UT Teams used to play there back in the day), Lions (haven't been yet, but from what I hear the most popular Austin course), Jimmy Clay and Roy Kizer were put together and supposed to be a huge 36 hole complex now. They bill Roy Kizer as a "premium" course, and Jimmy Clay I think is the longest municiple course in the city.

I just started golf in August, if you end up driving down to Austin and want to play a muni, feel free to send me a pm! I'm currently a student as well.

There's also several more expensive public course options out there that are probably pretty nice. On top of that several country club courses.

Driver: Tour Burner 9.5° Stock Stiff
Wood: Tour Burner TS 13° Stock Stiff
Hybrid: Tour Burner T2 18° Stock Stiff
Irons: Tour Preferred 3-PW Rifle Project X 6.0
Wedges: 54.10|58.08 Z TP Rifle Spinner 5.5 Putter: VP Mills VP2 Ball: TP/Red.LDP Bag: Warbird Hot Stand Bag 2.0Started playing...

Do you come to Austin via 21 to 71? If you're going to drive all the way, I'd recommend Avery Ranch. It's around $69, but it's well worth it. Coming west from College Station, you might want to check out Wolfdancer in Bastrop. It's a bit closer to you and is also a really good course. It is a little longer than most of the courses in Austin.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

The shafts were made into an x and i hit the simulator, out of about 20 drives, the first 5 being warmups, I eventually carried 6 or more balls 299 yds or more. my dad hit 220-240 which was accurate for him, the pro said it is usually pretty accurate, these long carries were with the kick that makes the ball fly higher. i got 2 drivers. one mid kick one high kick..ball went pretty straight too. i cant wait to hit the course...damn weather.

The thread that just won't die....how nice.
Now we have taken the silliness to a whole new level: SIMULATORS!

There is a little simulator in our local Golf Galaxy which I take a few pops on now and then and I know, really truly know, isn't accurate. When I really wind one up it claims I hit it 310-315 which is just ludicrous. That is not to say that I can't stand on one on the golf course and hit it over 300, I have, but I have no faith in the accuracy of these machines.

Final word from me: I have had a 20 handicapper hit it past me on occasion and it is a slight blow to my mighty golf ego...but know this:

I HAVE NEVER BEEN BEATEN BY A 20+ HANDICAP ON THE GOLF COURSE.
EVER.
NEVER.
NOT GOING TO HAPPEN EITHER.
I will donate my sticks to the Goodwill if it ever does.
You heard it here first....

We can all tell Bunyan-esque tales about a long drive we hit or thought we could have hit but who really cares? Scoring is what really matters.

Carry on.

Driver: 9.5* Sumo SQ 460 w/ UST Proforce V2
3 Wood: 15* 906F2 w/ Aldila NV Fairway 75S
5Wood 18* 906F2 w/ Aldila NV Fairway 75S
Irons: 695CB, 4-W w/ True Temper S-300's, standard loft and lie
Wedges: 52*,56*, 60* CG12/ChromePutter::Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2Bag: BX-8631Ball::...

I accept your challenge!! It's hilarious this thread has just go on and on... We should totally get some people on opposing sides to get out there go on a road trip and try to prove their point.

I'm in Iowa, anyone close?

I went to Golf Smith last year, trying Taylormade burner TP. The Simulator show me I hit it 350 yards......well, I know it's unaccurate, so..................I ended up buying the club :P

I know I am a big hitter, but.... 350 carry.... haha, NO WAY !!!!!! they just want you to buy the club.

Driver TP Burner 8.5* Stiff
3 Wood SQ 15* stiff
5 Wood SQ 19* stiff
Irons MP 67 (3-PW) stiff
Wedge 52* and 56* stiffPutter Mtisushiba Ball

LOL I thought i would raise some Ire! My pops drive was normal, is it possible for a boost to occur at 110 mph ss?

I wont be a 20 hc for long now that I can hit it off the tee! Hello teens.

pshaw..why am i doubting these results? i have already hit the ball that far and know for a fact I carried one over 300 with a bad shaft......as soon as this weather clears I will get a chance to test it.

LOL I thought i would raise some Ire! My pops drive was normal, is it possible for a boost to occur at 110 mph ss?

I think what you are failing to realize is that unless you are playing on top of a mountain you won't carry a ball 300 yards in the air.

My controlled swing speed is about 110 as well and my best drives are about 270 carry with 30 yards of roll. In order to carry 300 you will need a swing speed of 130 mph, controlled, on plane, with a good strike off the sweet spot. I don't see you doing that and to be quite honest I'd love to see a video of you swinging a driver.

Certified G.O.L.F. Machine Addict

i dont expect to carry a 300 yard ball everytime, i just know that i have at one time for sure.. tee was 15 feet above fairway but again i am certain I will be hitting it long with roll once i start playing,,btw what type ball do you use?

i guess to clarify the ss i was using last nite on the simulator was not my strongest and got a 300 carry,, i really doubt that happening even with the shaft

,,,the average speed last nite was 113. im afraid to swing too hard in those simulators. but once i get adjusted i will probably start going for the fairways at 275 with roll. most of my contacts were near sweet spot but a few pushed.

i guess to clarify the ss i was using last nite on the simulator was not my strongest and got a 300 carry,, i really doubt that happening even with the shaft

So lets see a video of you.

No offense but I could come here claiming that I just started last month, have a 140 mph swing speed, and carry the ball 320 and I want advice. If you want swing advice, lets see your swing.

Certified G.O.L.F. Machine Addict

110mph ss does not produce a 300 yard carry,

to realistically say you were carrying 300 (which you claim on the simulator) you would need to swinging at 125mph and making near perfect contact

Tiger Woods when he swings flat out produces carries of 300yards and sometimes 10mph more, your bs would need to be around 185mph

110mph ss is going to carry 260 -270 on PERFECT strike.

If the golf shop is saying you swing at 110mph and the ball has carried 300yards you should get them to check their settings and change them to EARTH mode.

[QUOTE=extremeld;251046]110mph ss does not produce a 300 yard carry,

[QUOTE]

I think some golf shops adjust their launch monitors. I recently bought a P3 Proswing launch monitor to put in my warehouse. It's funny because I was fit for a driver last week at a golf shop and their monitor had me carrying 300-315 with my peak ss being 120. On my own launch monitor it shows a carry of around 275 which is a lot more accurate. I've done some playing with my monitor and there are a lot of settings for elevation and wind so you could boost the #s up pretty easy, in an attempt to sell new drivers!

But back on topic, I used to be one of the 20 cappers hitting 300. I played baseball and some hockey in HS and always had quick hands (plus I'm 6'3) so I have great swing speed. But just because I was hitting 6 irons into par 5s didn't keep from chunking them into the watter before 4 jacking the green! In league play it really frustrated my opponents when I bombed my drive out there. But they quickly realized just how terrible I was when we got close to the green.

In The Bag

Driver R7 SuperQuad 8.5 Xstiff
5 Wd SQ X stiff steel
3-PW RAC LT X stiff 52 dg RAC TP Satin56 dg RAC TP Satin60 dg Vokey Oil CanPutter Cameron Studio Newport

just wondering if the 20 handicappers that AVERAGE 300yards i read about on golf forums are hitting 5,6 and 7 irons into par 5s how are they playing off 20 plus - swinging driver at an average of around 120mph

I know of only 1 20 handicapper (via golf forum) that i actually believe and he is a longdriver, that leaves several hundred that i dont - tell me if you do hit driver 6/7 iron on a regular basis on to 500 yard holes how can you still be a 20 handicapper?

drive 9 iron or less to all flat par 4s - come on how many 20 handicappers can claim this is true?

I have played a lot of golf with a lot of good golfers (plus 2 to 4) and bar myself no one hits the distances claimed by these much poorer golfers.

99% of these claims are not true please just stop it!

AVERAGE AVERAGE AVERAGE, not once in a blue moon hitting 300 yards, AVERAGE AVERAGE AVERAGE - meaning the skied tee shot, the top, the thin etc etc

AVERAGE AVERAGE AVERAGE

Note: This thread is 1532 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!