IGNORED

20+ handicappers hitting 300 yards (mild rant)

Note: This thread is 1505 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I don't hit the ball very far and I was wondering for all you bombers whats a good way to increase club head speed while staying in control? Ive been working on my short game (mostly pitching  the quickie pitching shot). Also working on full swing mechanics but not increasing distance. Any tips would be great.

I'm not a bomber, but I am learning better swing mechanics. This has helped me increase my distance a bit. I would say a good coach will help you a long way. :-))

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop

I completely agree with you about working on other things. But I wouldn't be working on adding distance via hitting more drives at the range or working on my driving technique, just equipment changes.

OK, that's fine.  But just remember that just because you get no roll, that doesn't necessarily mean you are "losing" distance.  In fact, I doubt it very much.  By that I mean, if you were to switch to a different club or shaft that gave you more roll, it would likely do it by simply giving you less distance in the air.  Basically, just a lower trajectory.

I would think that being able to hit any club and have it land softly - even a driver - would be a good thing.

Of course, if you're playing links courses, or in Texas, or any other place with firm fairways and wind, then yeah, maybe lower shots that roll are the better option.  But anywhere else, I don't see it as a problem.

Just get out to the range and work on your short irons and wedges!

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

OK, that's fine.  But just remember that just because you get no roll, that doesn't necessarily mean you are "losing" distance.  In fact, I doubt it very much.  By that I mean, if you were to switch to a different club or shaft that gave you more roll, it would likely do it by simply giving you less distance in the air.  Basically, just a lower trajectory.

I would think that being able to hit any club and have it land softly - even a driver - would be a good thing.

Of course, if you're playing links courses, or in Texas, or any other place with firm fairways and wind, then yeah, maybe lower shots that roll are the better option.  But anywhere else, I don't see it as a problem.

Just get out to the range and work on your short irons and wedges!

That actually makes a lot of sense, the only caveat to it is here in Ohio we have times of a lot of rain and other times where it's pretty windy. I actually had the misfortune of having to play a ball from the fairway that was plugged about 1/2 the ball deep because of how soft the ground was. I think if nothing else having a driver with lower trajectory I can pull out for those days would be helpful, otherwise I'll just stick with what I have. . I'm going to work on my 100 and in shots pretty much exclusively until I can get a repeatable result.

Also, I appreciate the constructive advice. When people like me come here it's hard because so many start from a stance of disbelief and ridicule that it's off putting. They want to spend more time trying to debunk or disprove whatever distance someone says they hit their driver when it has no basis on what they are asking a lot of the time. If I'm having trouble with my short game what difference does it make how far I can drive the ball? *Which, ironically, is pretty much what they say to us/me*

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Easy, I have a lot of speed, but I can't hit an iron or wedge to save my life.

Example: Par 5 Monday night, bomb a drive that carries 280-285, and ends up about 305 total. Leaving me a 6 iron to the green. I proceed to hit my 6 iron 65 yards.

Welcome to my life...

(However, my drives don't AVERAGE 300 yards, they just get there on the occasional bomb)

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

That actually makes a lot of sense, the only caveat to it is here in Ohio we have times of a lot of rain and other times where it's pretty windy. I actually had the misfortune of having to play a ball from the fairway that was plugged about 1/2 the ball deep because of how soft the ground was. I think if nothing else having a driver with lower trajectory I can pull out for those days would be helpful, otherwise I'll just stick with what I have. . I'm going to work on my 100 and in shots pretty much exclusively until I can get a repeatable result.

Also, I appreciate the constructive advice. When people like me come here it's hard because so many start from a stance of disbelief and ridicule that it's off putting. They want to spend more time trying to debunk or disprove whatever distance someone says they hit their driver when it has no basis on what they are asking a lot of the time. If I'm having trouble with my short game what difference does it make how far I can drive the ball? *Which, ironically, is pretty much what they say to us/me*

Where are you in Ohio? We can go golfing and I'll either back up your 300 yard average claim, or tell everyone you're full of it.

Ryan M

Originally Posted by Slice of Life

Where are you in Ohio? We can go golfing and I'll either back up your 300 yard average claim, or tell everyone you're full of it.

Down in Lima. Its not exactly close to Cleveland. You can look up Hawthorne Hills, that's my favorite course here.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

I smoked one like 288 once, can I be cool?

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Easy, I have a lot of speed, but I can't hit an iron or wedge to save my life.

Example: Par 5 Monday night, bomb a drive that carries 280-285, and ends up about 305 total. Leaving me a 6 iron to the green. I proceed to hit my 6 iron 65 yards.

Welcome to my life...

(However, my drives don't AVERAGE 300 yards, they just get there on the occasional bomb)

Lol, I don't necessarily average 300, but 280-300 is fairly normal for me as long as I hit the fairway. Even if I don't but harder to tell distance when you are behind trees and 20 yds off the fairway :-p. 310 and 320 yd par 4s I was about 10-20 yd short of the green, 510 and 520 yd par 5s I was 185 from the green. Those are just the ones I remember off the top of my head from my last round. Most of the rest I was around 280ish I think.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Originally Posted by cipher

In all honesty I'd rather hit 270's consistently straight and hit greens more often.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Lol, I don't necessarily average 300, but 280-300 is fairly normal for me as long as I hit the fairway. Even if I don't but harder to tell distance when you are behind trees and 20 yds off the fairway :-p. 310 and 320 yd par 4s I was about 10-20 yd short of the green, 510 and 520 yd par 5s I was 185 from the green. Those are just the ones I remember off the top of my head from my last round. Most of the rest I was around 280ish I think.

Just for the record, on a 320 yard par 4, if you're 20 yards short of the green, you probably only drove it 280-290. Still good, but not 300+.

Typically my straight drives are about 275-280, but sometimes I just get that extra juice out of it. Most of my 300+ drives are straight pulls that end up in the rough, so I'll take my 280 yard drives any day...

Ryan M

Originally Posted by cipher

No, come back after your drive is more bigger.

Ryan M

Just for the record, on a 320 yard par 4, if you're 20 yards short of the green, you probably only drove it 280-290. Still good, but not 300+.

Typically my straight drives are about 275-280, but sometimes I just get that extra juice out of it. Most of my 300+ drives are straight pulls that end up in the rough, so I'll take my 280 yard drives any day...

Hmm... Interesting, I always was told yardage was to front of green.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Not anywhere I've played.

There's a chance I'm wrong, but I don't believe I am...it wouldn't make sense to have yardage markers to the front of the green.

Ryan M

Hell, even I'll catch a sprinkler head on a down hill, down wind hole and scuz one out there every now and then.....

The better question for everyone, is how far do you carry your driver on average .

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Originally Posted by David in FL

Hell, even I'll catch a sprinkler head on a down hill, down wind hole and scuz one out there every now and then.....

The better question for everyone, is how far do you carry your driver on average.

My average carry it probably about 260 (Discounting duffs and slices...which still happen). With maybe 15 yards of bounce and roll. Except when it rains as much as it has and just plugs in the ground. lol

My drive the other night was probably the only time I can ever remember carrying it over 285...most of the time if I hit a 300+ yarder it's a low bomber that gets a ton of roll.

Ryan M

99% of the time they're to the middle of the green.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Not anywhere I've played.

There's a chance I'm wrong, but I don't believe I am...it wouldn't make sense to have yardage markers to the front of the green.

Makes sense, guess I was told wrong to start. Guess that brings my drives back to 280-290 with the occasional that hits 300.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Makes sense, guess I was told wrong to start. Guess that brings my drives back to 280-290 with the occasional that hits 300.

And I think that's probably more realistic. I mean, my buddy Maxx is by far the longest hitter I've ever played with...and I beat him half the time. He has absolutely no short game. I've seen him drive it 350 yards and end up with a 7 on a par 4.

Ryan M

Note: This thread is 1505 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!