IGNORED

20+ handicappers hitting 300 yards (mild rant)

Note: This thread is 1524 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

A playing partner of mine has a higher handicap than me and he can easily hit a 300yd drive. It doesn't always stay in the fairway (or in play), but he can step on it and put one out there that will carry almost 300yd.

I'm sorry but that's crazy.

If he can carry one near 300 then he can hit one 330 which with no slope and no wind is only doable by a couple of guys on tour. I'd love to see one of you guys go to a range and have someone lasering the drives and when you come back with that 300 yarder really only going 275 to 280 at most you'd have some sort of idea of what you are really suggesting.

Certified G.O.L.F. Machine Addict

Golf is a sport full of dreamers disconnected from reality. The USGA rates courses with the assumption that a scratch golfer drives the ball 250. Over half the top

Nice post, particularly the bit quoted. That's interesting, about the USGA average for a scratch player - it's a bit of a relief quite frankly.

I also have discovered, after getting a rangefinder, that my average drive is rather less than I thought it was, i.e. the disparity between my average drive (including the severe hooks and the odd fountain ball I still seem to come up with ....) and the average of my top 5% (say) is indeed very great. But the more you play of course, the more consistent you get, which means that your average creeps up closer to your best - at least that's the theory. I pretty much know if I've hit a corker before I even look up. That wonderful feeling in the hands of efficient energy transfer to the ball, and that sweet crack of a clean impact! Of course then you look up and have to deal with the issue of what direction the blasted thing actually went . I would say that both best drive distance and average drive distance are meaningful. "Best" gives you a sense of your realistic potential if you were to improve consistency, "average" gives you what you need to know when playing a course here and now. It's OK to dream about the future, but it's best to be brutally realistic about the present. Or else dreams tend to turn into nightmares .......

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

From personal experience, I would say it's more likely to have a 20+ handicapper hit longer drives than a single digit handicapper.

In my teens & 20's, I would jump out of my shoes hitting the ball far...albeit all over the course, Eventally I gave up my Driver for a 3 wood for better control with acceptable distance lost.

Even Tiger gave up average distance driving for better control

Cheers,
Eric

what's in my Sun Mtn bag:
Driver: 3-Wood: Big Bertha Irons: Mizuno MP-54 Wedge: Mizuno 56°-10° Putter: Newport 2 Ball: Pro Vx

It's not crazy. Like I said my friend has no control when he swings as hard as he can, but when he does and when he manages to connect with the ball when he does the ball goes a long distance. And the funny thing is this guy is no athlete. He's got a gut and he doesn't work out regularly. But he's big and that bigness somehow translates into swingspeed.

Also you're confusing the issue by relying on tour stats. I bet a lot of tour guys can hit the ball longer on command than they average on tour. They don't normally swing for overall distance as opposed to distance and accuracy. So too can "regular" guys step up and really belt the ball. Do that enough and one of them is bound to connect well and be in play. Obviously that doesn't translate into what your average driving distance happens to be, but it can reflect one's potential. That's the difference between averaging drriving like that and doing it once every blue moon. I agree that the 300yd drive is an over exagerated statistic, but it does happen. I've seen quite a few guys hit long balls in the 300yd range. It's uncommon, and the average duffer will never see a shot go that far, but some guys can hit the ball a long way. The guys I know who are generally capable of doing it are usually guys who play a lot. 5 or more times a week. They are also pretty young and strong. I'm not saying every one of their drives goes that far, but they are certainly capable of doing it on occassion. And a few of those guys are mid cappers at best.

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

Are there people who lie to themselves (and others) about how far they hit a club *on average*? YES

See the thing is the reason people lie about their yardage's is BECAUSE of this lack of information. And my bet is you are one of these people that doesn't think about these factors, and so your not sure why sometimes your 7 iron goes 140 and sometimes it goes 160.

Like if you hit a drive one a 500 yard dogleg left par five that lands right next to the 200 mark after going over the dogleg just a hair. Now this hole is just a slight dog leg, nothing major. Do you measure by subtracting 200 from 500 and saying you hit it 300 yards? Or do you measure the direct line from your ball to the tee box on the line of flight that your ball took? I will admit that I used to think I hit the ball 250-260 on average, and it killed my game. Now that I have a laser I know my average distances. I take into account elevation, wind, and other things that could effect distance. I average about 210-215 carry with the driver, with 225-230 total distance. When I get that "perfect" one I max out at about 260. But that is all I really have to say, because no matter what anyone says there will always be the people who insist they can do these things, although they don't have much solid evidence.

Here's what I play:

Titleist 907 D2 10.5* UST ProForce V2 76-S | Titleist 906F4 18.5* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist 585H 21* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist ZB 4-PW TTDG S300 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 54.10 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.08 | Scotty Cameron Red X5 33" |

I am currently a round 30 and have cranked out a few 300 yard drives but I have played before about 9-10 years ago and trying to put the pieces back together. The main reason I am a 30 is iron play with duffs and fat shots and when I do get on in 2 then i 3 putt. I only practiced with my driver since I started back and no wedges until know since my driving average is 250-270 yards. I have hit a few 300 drives but my course doesn't water there fairways so I get a good 50 yard bounce and roll in the heat of the summer here.

See the thing is the reason people lie about their yardage's is BECAUSE of this lack of information. And my bet is you are one of these people that doesn't think about these factors, and so your not sure why sometimes your 7 iron goes 140 and sometimes it goes 160.

That's an ignorant assumption. I know exactly why my irons go as far (or as short) as they go, based on elevation, wind, and how hard I swing and how cleanly I hit them. As for distances, I trust my Bushnell rangefinder.

You have some kind of problem believing that someone with a high handicap can occasionally crank out a long drive. That problem is in your head, not anywhere else.

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

That's an ignorant assumption. I know exactly why my irons go as far (or as short) as they go, based on elevation, wind, and how hard I swing and how cleanly I hit them. As for distances, I trust my Bushnell rangefinder.

When did I ever say that they couldn't hit it 300 occasionally? I think you and I are arguing different parts. I do agree that high hadicappers can hit occasional long drives. But I thought, like I said from the beginning, that you were arguing the averaging thing.

And I'm sorry about that assumption, that was too far. But again it came from anger, and thinking that you were saying higher cappers can average 300. Also, trust me I have no problem about higher cappers cranking long drives. Hell, I rarely play with anyone that I can out drive ever. I love seeing that high handicapper crank the drive right down the pipe, or make that birdie or par. It reminds me to think of the little pleasures in life, and plus I enjoy seeing other peoples enjoyment of the game.

Here's what I play:

Titleist 907 D2 10.5* UST ProForce V2 76-S | Titleist 906F4 18.5* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist 585H 21* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist ZB 4-PW TTDG S300 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 54.10 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.08 | Scotty Cameron Red X5 33" |

I am a 28 handicapper and i would agree that if you had the swing technique to hit it that far you would play at least of 18. I am working on my swing and now hitting the ball further 220 aveage.

In my ozone bag:

905r 10.5 Graphite Design YS-6+ R
909 F2 15.5 Aldila VooDoo Fairway S
Benross VeloCT Resuce 21 Grafalloy ProLaunch Platinum R MX300s 4-PW KBS Tour S MP-T10 50/8 Chrome 54/11 and 60/7 Studio Select Newport II 35"

Let me tell, when anyone can average 300 yards on a drive, you can use your putter, or a PW and still make the green in regulation. Averaging 300 is very hard (when trying to be accurate, and not a pro), however, as it ahs been countlessly stated the occasional 300 yard BOMB, is possible.

Sometimes high handicappers focus most of their time on the driver. I know I used to. I would go to the range get 150balls, and rip at least 100 balls with the driver. After that many swings, for a prolonged period of time, you will see your distance increase.

Like a body builder, when you exercise with heavy weights, eventually you will see those weights increase.

I'm happier hitting a driver 225 and straight that some longer drives I've hit that go off target.

I'm probably the rarity in new golfers in that out of a bucket of 75 balls, I hit maybe 15-20 drives, 20 with other irons, and the rest is 50-100 yard shots trying for accuracy.

In my bag:
Driver: HiBore XLS (9.5*, stiff, gold shaft)
Irons: FP II 4-GW
Wedges: mp R series 56/13 588DSG 60*
Putter: Unitized TiempoBag: ADIDAS Velocity

I'm probably the rarity in new golfers in that out of a bucket of 75 balls, I hit maybe 15-20 drives, 20 with other irons, and the rest is 50-100 yard shots trying for accuracy.

Thats the way it should be. I remeber one time on a course, the only clubs I was able to hit were my 5I, 7I, PW, and putter (putter cant really be replaced). I used the 5I for every shot until I was within 150 yards, then it was a light 7I, or a PW if I was close enough. Believe it or not with the frist 3 holes being triple, triple, double, I was able to finish with an average score. (for me at least). My point, the irons and wedges are more important than the Driver.

And kudos to you Sir. I started doing that when I moved to a place close to a driving range that has those big netted hoop targets at various distances (approx. 60, 80, 100 and 120 yards). It's a lot of fun seeing how many times out of ten you can hit the net, and great for your short iron game. I just don't get out there enough, is my problem.

4-hybrid:

It's rainy time here and soon to be snow (vancouver, bc, canada)

So i'm stuck at the range for 95% of the time until spring. I'm hoping to get a couple rounds in soon if it ever stops raining so bad. Leaves me lots of time to practice at least.

In my bag:

hmmm, let's see, today we had 80degF for a high, just a few wispy high-altitude clouds, and a light on-shore breeze. I decided to commute on the V-twin since it looked so nice at 7:30 this morning ....

[... reputation plummets ...]

4-hybrid:

hmmm, let's see, today we had 80degF for a high, just a few wispy high-altitude clouds, and a light on-shore breeze. I decided to commute on the V-twin since it looked so nice at 7:30 this morning ....

hate hate hate

In my bag:

I've played with a 20+ handicapper that does, indeed, knock the cover off the ball and sends it "out dere". I've never measured his drives, but 300+ wouldn't surprise me. He's routinely 25-40 yards by me, albeit not always in the short stuff. Although he knocks it a ton, he rarely hits greens in regulation, his chips are a nightmare to watch, and he can miss a 3 foot putt in a heartbeat. It's frustrating to play with him because it is a large group that plays and he'll often win skins (net) because the rules give him 2 pops on some holes. Tough to beat net eagles on tough par 4's.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

THIS THREAD IS AWESOME!!! I gotta throw my two cents in....

grantc79 , I'm in complete agreement. Its a question of physics. The technique required to strike the ball consistently/correctly while moving the clubhead 115+ mph is.... well... nearly impossible for a 20 handicap. NOT IMPOSSIBLE, but very nearly. Also, your previous points about what a real 300-yd drive would LOOK like are also spot-on. Assuming no wind, a flat surface for the ball to land, no elevation change, no altitude advantage, etc... a 300-yd drive will LOOK dramatically different. I mean, 280 carry and 20 yards roll? Have you guys been to a tour event and seen Tiger, Sergio, or Phil on the range? Have you seen how the ball flies? Does yours fly like that? If it doesn't, then it probably isn't going 300 yards. Simply put, THAT is what 300 yds looks like. I've read a lot of comments from guys in this thread that seem genuine, in the vein of "Not sure how I do it, but I can blast one 300 every once in a while". I gotta say this guys... it ain't impossible... but you're gonna have to really uncork one. Can you make 13 awful swings that hook 50 yards OB, then stand up on #18 and unleash one, pure as the driven snow, hangs in the air over 7 seconds, lands at 280 and bounds forward 20 yards? Anything is possible, I guess. SEVEN SECONDS!!! That's sorta like... BANG, ball is in the air.... admire the flight... ball still rising... ball levels out (meanwhile you've already walked to the cart and put the club back in the bag)... ball is descending... ball lands. I play with lots of very good amateurs, college players, etc. in various amateur tournaments during the year. Out of 30-40 guys, I'd say maybe 2 we're capable of hitting the ball 300 yards, under the conditions described. And we're not talking about 20-handicaps, we're talking about 1 to 5 handicaps. Good players with consistent, repeatable swings. 270? 280? All day long. 300? Not without some wind and/or a HARD bounce forward. Which brings me to my next point: playing on "concrete" fairways. I've played quite a few courses where several of my drives were way over 300 yds... but it WAS NOT because I sent the ball flying consistently over 170 mph. It was because it was the middle of August, 95 degrees, the fairways were nearly dead, and I had some wind at my back. If this is how a 20-handicapper is hitting it 300 yards, I feel bad for him. I wouldn't want to try and hit a wedge off of concrete. Ouch. As for a 20-handicapper who says he can fly the ball 300 yds... ummm... that is quite a talent. But clearly that guy didn't get the memo. Golf is a game where the fewest strokes wins, there is no place on the scorecard for that 315-yard gorilla-ball you unleashed back on #12. Take a lesson, maybe learn how to hit a wedge. I'd bet you'd have more fun shooting in the 80s occasionally. And then there's the guy who says he's a "low ball hitter", and he hits it 300 yds because he "gets lots of roll." Ummm.... either the ground is beyond firm, or you hit the lowest-launch, lowest spin ball with about a 5* degree driver, and you kill it. Again... quite a talent. Some reality: My clubhead speed with a driver is 110 mph (+/- 2 mph, usually). My ball speed (measured several times a year on a Vector) is in the low 160s. Carry is maybe 265. Total distance = 275ish. And I have fairly good launch/spin numbers too. 300 yds? Not a chance, unless I've got a nice breeze. What's my max swing speed? I've got no clue. Not sure it really matters. To all the guys out there who bomb it over 300... if I'm playing in front of you, could you please wait a few extra minutes until I'm at least 350 yds out? Then go ahead and drop the hammer. POWWWW!!!
Currently in the bag:
SQ Sumo 9.5* - Aldila ProtoPype 70-X
Burner TP 14.5* - Aldila NV 75 S
Idea Pro Gold 18* - Ozik Altus Xcon Hybrid - 90 S
675B blades, 3-PW, S300, Lamkin Tour Black Cord 588 SW, 53*, S300 588 LW, 58*, wedge flex Studio Design 2.5 Tour iX ball2007 Nature Valley Amateur Regional...

Note: This thread is 1524 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!