Sign in to follow this  
Egoolps

New golfer...should a buy a 3, 4, and sand wedge or just a whole new set?

Note: This thread is 4284 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

5 posts / 916 viewsLast Reply

I have a set that, for the most part, is new. I've only used it 10 times. I bought it for like $150 at Sports Authority.

Now that I'm a more "serious" golfer I guess (the fact that I originally just bought them to have them, now I actually try to play consistently), how important is a 3 and 4 iron? (my set did not come with it).

Also, how important are the clubs you use? I'm a former baseball player...and the type of bat you used DID matter. A $75 bat was not NEARLY as good as a $250 bat. If you hit two balls with the same bat...they may go in the same direction...but you won't hit it as solid or with nearly as much power. How is that in regards to golf.

With that said, should I buy a "good" set of clubs? Or do I stick with the $150 pair for a while?

Save your money, you definetly do not need a 3 or 4 iron at the moment. Since you are willing to spend a little money, I would suggest getting properly fitted for the clubs you currently have, and then spend the rest of your budget on a few lessons. That will go a long ways towards getting you on the right track.

Good Luck!

With that said, should I buy a "good" set of clubs? Or do I stick with the $150 pair for a while?

Save your money and play, play, play. Throw in practice and creating and maintaining a positive in the moment attitude no matter how the game is going and you will soon be ahead of most golfers. If you have money burning a hole in your pocket get a good pair of golf shoes.

My iron set came with a 3 iron, but I don't even carry it. I don't hit my 4 iron much either.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm in a similiar boat in that my iron set only goes up to 5i. I plugged in a #3 hybrid and it does the trick of "some what" filling the void there.

Note: This thread is 4284 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!