IGNORED

Which Irons Should I Get?

Note: This thread is 4480 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have been playing X-20's and my ball striking is good enough to warrant some new irons. I just want to know what you think should be the next step. What irons would you recommend as a step up from X-20's? Thanks

You should consider the forged,my friend has them and there great irons.With your handicap you should move up to them or x20,18 or 16 pro series.my set before my irons were x16 pro series and they were class,to be honest i don't find any difference in them and the ones i have now.

I would hit the X20 Tour's over the x-forged. Give them a try, with the X22 Tours due to come out shortly, they will drop considerably.

With your handicap.......it opens up a lot of possibilities.

I haven't heard about the X-forged II. I'll have to look at some of those....not that I can play them or anything.....just drool over them.

Try out the new Taylormade Tour Preferred irons. I tried them and liked them a lot, but they were just a little too far out of my price range. ($900)

Although you are probably loyal to Callaway equipment, i second the TP irons from TaylorMade. I have the r7 TP's and I love all aspects of them. Personally, how they look is a pretty big thing for me and I very much like how they are designed.

...and they also play quite well.

Note: This thread is 4480 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• Support TST Affiliates

TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasjan21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
    • Your earlier statements included this: It’s false. And that video is ridiculous. The ball is basically smeared against the face, but it’s less so with wedges, and so I believe there’s more contact with wedges with these dimples. It’s based on physics. What you quoted (without quoting - please attribute material and quote it) -  says little about the basic physics, and what it does say it gets wrong. Like: This is not true most of the time. Again, given the same impact parameters, a firmer ball will have a higher ball speed and a bit less spin. Until the spin gets too low, that ball will likely fly farther. Softer balls are appealing because for some they generate a bit more spin to keep the ball in the air longer.
    • Golf ball compression is important because it affects the distance and control that you will gain on a golf shot. Your ability level will determine which kind of golf ball you will get the best feel and distances with. Firstly, on the low end of the spectrum it is possible to find low compression balls that create long distance if you have a slower swing speed. On the compression chart, these balls would often be rated between 30-70 and are ideal for beginner golfers or senior golfers. An example of a low compression golf ball in this category would be the Callaway Supersoft. Yet at the other end of the spectrum, you have high compression balls which mean you would have to strike the ball with more speed to achieve the same kind of distance. These types of balls, however, give the golfer more control over their shot, especially with their faster club head speeds that they are generating. These balls may be rated greater than 70 on the compression chart and are ideal for more experienced golfers. An example of a higher compression golf ball is the Callaway Chrome Soft and offers a direct comparison to the Supersoft. You can view more about the differences and similarities between these golf balls here.  A good rule of thumb which can be applied to knowing your compression level, is that golfers with a club head speed of 70mph should use a 70 Compression Ball. A golfer with a club head speed of 80mph should use an 80 Compression Ball and those with speeds of 90mph should use a 90 Compression ball with 100mph swing speeds indicating the use of a 100 Compression golf ball. By using a suitable golf ball you can make sure that you increase your average golf ball speed. In order to get the maximum distance possible out of a golf ball, it must be fully compressed. This is when the ball will be half flattened upon impact due to enough force being applied to maximize the compression. Golf Ball Compression: What Is It? [Complete 2020 Guide & Chart] (reachpar.com) Is that based on the wide variety of swing speeds?   
    • At least it wasn’t Kelvin.😜
    • I gave up on my home course.   I just don't play it enough.
  • Today's Birthdays

1. Aynfan
      Aynfan
      (153 years old)
    2. DDBowdoin
      DDBowdoin
      (36 years old)
    3. drw72
      drw72
      (49 years old)
    4. jest
      jest
      (68 years old)

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...