IGNORED

Anyone Else buy a Scotty Cameron Ball Tool?

Note: This thread is 5328 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
He is a marketing genius!

Thanks. That has nothing to do with the question asked, so I'll assume I can put you down for a "no."

Whether it's marketing or simply understanding how maddening the game of golf can be (mixed with a good understanding of "supply and demand"), I don't really know. Likely a blend of all three. If you offered 100 single-digit handicappers the opportunity to save half a stroke per round for $50, I'm guessing 85 of them would take you up on the offer, and the 15 that didn't would be the higher (6-9) handicappers. Half a stroke to a low handicapper is a significant portion of the distance to scratch. So perhaps I should have asked the question of only low handicappers...

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. That has nothing to do with the question asked, so I'll assume I can put you down for a "no."

No, I don't own one.

I agree with you. He knows what golfer wants and he knows very well how to sell them. However, if it's only $10, I'd buy one. Is there any rules on ball marker? If I can have a 5 ft long ruler as my ball marker. I'm sure it's going to do an excellent job lining up my putt with intened line.

Launcher 460 10.5° <BB Solution 130 R>
Wishon 949MC 16.5° <SK Fiber Tour Trac 80 R>
3DX DC Ironwood 20°, 23° <UST SR2 R>
MX-23 5-PW <KBS Tour R>
Vokey 250.08, SM54.10, SM58.08 <DG Wedge> Callie 33.75"TLT Series 4MOI matched

Have to agree that the ppl saying that this is just "good marketing" are wrong. This tool looks like it would help on any level of golf. It would be more useful to those who have a better green reading ability, however it can also help high handicappers on putts that are even dead straight...

And honestly, the reason why the price is so high is because there is a high demand for the item and it's because it actually helps..
Taylormade R9 TP 9.5*w/ Diamana Kai'li 70 S (SST PURE)
Callaway FT 3 Wood
Adams Pro Black Hybrid 20* w/ Voodoo NV8 S
MP-68 3-PW irons w/ KBS Tour X-flex (softstepped 1x)
Cleveland CG-12 52.10Cleveland CG-15 DSG 56.08 Vokey Limited Edition 60-V w/ KBS black nickel S-FlexCircle T Beached Center Shaft...

Is there any rules on ball marker?

8-2. Indicating Line of Play a. Other Than on Putting Green Except on the putting green, a player may have the line of play indicated to him by anyone, but no one may be positioned by the player on or close to the line or an extension of the line beyond the hole while the stroke is being made. Any mark placed by the player or with his knowledge to indicate the line must be removed before the stroke is made. Exception: Flagstick attended or held up - see Rule 17-1. b. On the Putting Green When the player's ball is on the putting green, the player, his partner or either of their caddies may, before but not during the stroke, point out a line for putting, but in so doing the putting green must not be touched. A mark must not be placed anywhere to indicate a line for putting. I believe this would suggest that as long as you use the 5ft long ruler behind the ball and not on the line of the putt, you can use it as long as its removed before the putt is hit. Maybe a person more knowledgeable to the rules can jump in here.

In my Arkansas Razorbacks stand bag:

Driver:SasQuatch SUMO2 9.5°

2 hybrid 16° 3, 4 hybrid 3DX5-PW: Tour Pro ComboWedges: 52°, 56°, 60° spin milled Putter: Circa '62 No. 1 ; Newport Tel 3 LongNeck ; Newport 2 ButtonBack LTDBalls: ProV1

I believe this would suggest that as long as you use the 5ft long ruler behind the ball and not on the line of the putt, you can use it as long as its removed before the putt is hit. Maybe a person more knowledgeable to the rules can jump in here.

I think a 5-foot ruler might count as "unusual equipment" under rule 14.3, since it is a measuring device. Not sure though.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

• Administrator
Is there any rules on ball marker?

Sure:

http://www.usga.org/playing/rules/pd...dDecisions.pdf

Source: PDF Listed Above Q. The Note to Rule 20-1 provides that “the position of a ball to be lifted should be marked by placing a ball-marker, a small coin or other similar object immediately behind the ball.” Is a player penalized if he uses an object that is not similar to a ball-marker or small coin to mark the position of his ball? A. No. The provision in the Note to Rule 20-1 is a recommendation of best practice, but there is no penalty for failing to act in accordance with the Note. Examples of methods of marking the position of a ball that are not recommended, but are permissible, are as follows:

• placing the toe of a club at the side of, or behind, the ball;
  • using a tee;
  • using a loose impediment;
  • scratching a line, provided the putting green is not tested (Rule 16-1d) and a line for putting is not indicated (Rule 8-2b). As this practice may cause damage to the putting green, it is discouraged.
However, under Rule 20-1 it is necessary to physically mark the position of the ball. Reference to an existing mark on the ground does not constitute marking the position of a ball. For example, it is not permissible to mark the position with reference to a blemish on the putting green. When moving a ball or ball-marker to the side to prevent it from interfering with another player’s stance or stroke, the player may measure from the side of the ball or ball-marker. In order to accurately replace the ball on the spot from which it was lifted, the steps used to move the ball or ball-marker to the side should be reversed.

I think a 5-foot ruler might count as "unusual equipment" under rule 14.3, since it is a measuring device. Not sure though.

Measurements are historically "okay." Yardage of a hole, yardage markers, yardages to the flag, etc. are not considered "advice." You could probably mark your ball (though it would be rude to do so) with one of those dummy sticks people use as training aids these days, and a ruler - except for having little lines on them every eighth of an inch - is basically no different. Heck, you could lay a club down behind the ball and use that as your marker. Still rude, but not illegal and certainly not "unusual equipment."

The Ball Tool, as Scotty says in the video, is perfectly legal. Now, please, back to topic (it's not the Rules).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I must admit that my initial reaction to the tool, because of its price and because it's a Cameron, was that it is ridiculous. I have now watched the video, however, and I have changed my mind. As demonstrated by Scotty, the little device appears to be rather clever and neat, and I think it could be marginally helpful to my putting game. That said, to answer the question posed, I have not bought one, and likely won't. Why not? Because based on the state of my personal game, my limited golf resources are better spent on other golf accessories and services. If and when that calculus changes for me, I could totally see picking one up though.

Nike Sumo 5000 V2 (9.5°) & SQ2 3W (15°) | TaylorMade Rescue Mid (19° & 22°) | Mizuno MX-23 4-PW | Callaway X-Tour (56-13°) & X-Tour MD (60-11°) | Bettinardi C-03

"I don't care how good your iron play is, if you can't drive it in the fairway you might as well break 'em up or use 'em...

I can't wait until he mills out his scrap cuttings into steel golf tees and puts like cute color dots on them and sells em for $117 a piece.

lolz! I know i still dont get why people pay 5000 dollars because a 300 dollar putter has a special paint scheme. Scotty cameron just whizzes over my head.

Yeah.. i just bid on one on Ebay.. some of those suckers are going for over 70 dollars a pop..
Callaway FT 3 Wood
Cleveland CG-12 52.10Cleveland CG-15 DSG 56.08 Vokey Limited Edition 60-V w/ KBS black nickel S-FlexCircle T Beached Center Shaft...

Sorry for the dumb question but aren't alignment aids illegal in a round of golf?

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

Sorry for the dumb question but aren't alignment aids illegal in a round of golf?

pg three on this thread has an excerpt from the rules that addresses this issue and there are a few comments there in regards to alignment aids.. looks like as long as it is not present while the shot is being taken it's ok..

Callaway FT 3 Wood

I like how SC chuckles a bit when he says "I've come up with the ball tool" - as if to say, "yeah, it seems simple, but it helps in lining up the BALL (and yeah you could certainly make one yourself, but yours wouldn't work because it doesn't say Scotty on it...)"

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

It's great if this "tool" helped your game.
I had never used the line on the golf ball for alignment; for me the optical point of view looked different from above than from directly behind the golf ball so not good for my game.
If it helps your game and speed up the process of determining the putting line for you, go for it.

I think that even a crappy green reader could benefit from this *technology*. After all, if you are more confident in your line you will hit it better. And, if you hit the ball in the direction you wanted to and miss, it may help you read greens better as the day progresses.

That said, I could use a $.20 pencil to do the same thing. Or even the free one that comes with every cart... I think I'll try it this afternoon.

Drivers:
FT-i Draw 9* W/Grafalloy Red
Sumo2 5900 9.5* W/Grafalloy Red

Irons: A3OS 3-PW Graphite/Steel regularWedges: A3OS GW, SW, LWPutter: Rossa Monza SpiderLittle round white thing:

Ordered a Newport 2 a while ago, its not in yet tho.

Ended up paying $170 CAD for the thing.

Its taking foreverrr to get in, a lefty 34 inch...not very popular!

They just replenished these on the website for the public release of the Vegas stuff if anybody wants one for $44

In my Arkansas Razorbacks stand bag:

Driver:SasQuatch SUMO2 9.5°

2 hybrid 16° 3, 4 hybrid 3DX5-PW: Tour Pro ComboWedges: 52°, 56°, 60° spin milled Putter: Circa '62 No. 1 ; Newport Tel 3 LongNeck ; Newport 2 ButtonBack LTDBalls: ProV1

Yeah, $44 is a lot of money for a small piece of metal. But no one else thought of it first and he can obviously sell them at that price. I totally want one. Makes me wish I was still in college and had access to the machine shop.
Callaway FT-9 Tour I-mix 9.5° Driver (Fujikura Zcom Pro 65 stiff)
Mizuno F-50 15° 3w (Exsar FS2 stiff)
Bridgestone J36 19° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro 23° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro Forged 5-pw Irons (DG Black Gold stiff)Nike SV Tour Black Satin...

Note: This thread is 5328 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!