IGNORED

Most Skilled Sport...

DDBowdoin
Note: This thread is 5507 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I think that cricket is the hardest sport.

Like baseball, however, trying to hit a ball (just as hard as a baseball) going 100 Miles an hour, after it bounces.

Not only are you trying to find the right line to hit the ball, you have to be able to try and predict the way the ball will react of the wicket/ground!
Driver: Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 10.5* (UST Proforce v2 77g X Flex) 3 Wood: Callaway Diablo 15* (UST Proforce v2 86g S Flex). 2 Hybrid: Adams A4 Tech 17* (UST Proforce v2 105g S Flex). 3 and 4 Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 20* and 23* (UST Proforce v2 105g S Flex)
Irons: Tour Edge Exotics...

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that cricket is the hardest sport.

Cricket would be right up there skill wise, but cricket balls do not travel at 100mph. Jeff Thompson, Shoaib Akhtar and Brett Lee are the only ones who got up around that speed and that was only a few times in their careers. Fast bowlers average around 90mph and far less after it has bounced. Mind you, I have stood behind a net with a ball machine putting them down at 100mph and I can tell you getting a decent shot on a ball bowled that fast would be a hell of a lot harder than anything you have to do on a golf course.

• 2 weeks later...
Overall, to me the hardest sport would be Boxing. Not only do you have to be in great physical shape, the physical beating your body takes is unbelievable. And the effects after your career are much worse, overall, than any of the other sports.

just my .02
Next time they give you all that civic bullshit about voting, keep in mind that Hitler was elected in a full, free democratic election- George Carlin

In the Hoofer bag:
10.5* Redline RPM G5 16* G5 19* G5 22* MX 200, 4-6, MP-52 7-W Vokey 50*, Vokey SM 54*, 58* G5i flatstick IGNITE ball

If you are refering to the title of this thread I would have to go with Baseball of Golf. However, if you are asking which sport is most challenging on all areas, I must say rugby. I am a rugby player and it is truely a difficult sport. You hurt everyday, and you must/should be able to play almost every position on the field (granted some will be better than others at those positions, but you must have a knowledge of each).

Here's how I'm taking your question: Sport (or activity) that requires the highest degree of skill to be successful at the highest (assuming professional) level.

Based on that statement, individual sport must be considered. And when you consider golf, it's one (you) against an entire field. The hockey analogy still relies on the support of 15-20 other participants--just on YOUR team.

I can still argue every way to Sunday that Tiger Woods is the most skilled athlete in the world for the mere fact that he's almost always in contention on Sunday and routinely bests an entire field of players to win.

In contrast, Lance Armstrong has had a contingent of team riders 'paving the way' for him to win his tour de france titles. He didn't do it himself.

Tiger has Tiger and Tiger alone.

Grand Slam events in professional tennis might be similar, but they don't have to beat a field of 120 week in and week out all by onesself. They have many other players to pare down the field on behalf of the eventual winner.

Highest skill level required to win an event still equals golf to me. I'm trying to be objective here but not finding another sport where higher individual skill level is required to win than in golf.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Take your pick; all sports require different skills/attributes. I'd put golf up there and you can't blame anything except yourself. Snooker is up there as well as you can't even blame the weather or a bad lie!
Table tennis is awesome at elite level, badminton, squash, rugby. I've always enjoyed watching (ice) hockey as well for its combination of speed, technique and aggression.

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

In my opinion the hardest sport to play without any training is with out a doubt golf but it terms of becoming pro F1 racing is extremely difficult. If you've seen the 'top gear' episode where Richard Hammond tries it out you'll know what i mean.

In my ozone bag:

905r 10.5 Graphite Design YS-6+ R
909 F2 15.5 Aldila VooDoo Fairway S
Benross VeloCT Resuce 21 Grafalloy ProLaunch Platinum R MX300s 4-PW KBS Tour S MP-T10 50/8 Chrome 54/11 and 60/7 Studio Select Newport II 35"

I can still argue every way to Sunday that Tiger Woods is the most skilled athlete in the world for the mere fact that he's almost always in contention on Sunday and routinely bests an entire field of players to win.

Whilest I do agree Tiger is the best athlete in the world at the moment and he might even be best of all time but he is not entilly on his own. He has the constant help and advice from his caddie. If you want proof of how important they are to the players then just look at how often some of the players change/sack their caddies.

In my ozone bag:

905r 10.5 Graphite Design YS-6+ R
909 F2 15.5 Aldila VooDoo Fairway S
Benross VeloCT Resuce 21 Grafalloy ProLaunch Platinum R MX300s 4-PW KBS Tour S MP-T10 50/8 Chrome 54/11 and 60/7 Studio Select Newport II 35"

If you like F1, you might like MotoGP. It's the F1 of motorcycle racing. The skill, touch and fine motor skills involved are amazing and oh yea, the stones involved!

I second that,motorcycle racing is by far the most skilled.

aeroburner tp 10.5 stiff
superfast tp 2.0 3 wood stiff
Halo 25 and taylormade tp 19 degree hybrids
miura cb 202 and wedge
tp 52* wedge, tp 56* taylormade spider mallet putter

• 2 weeks later...
I believe every sport needs a certain amount of "skill" ... Sure anyone can play any sport, but it takes loads of practice to become skilled in it. So, with that I believe every sport requires an equal amount of "skill"... if that makes any sense
Driver: 3dx driver 10.5*
Irons: 3dx hybrid irons 5-P
Iron: X-14 3 iron
Wood: MT 4wood 16.5*
Wedge: Lob 60*Putter: White Hot 2-ballBag: Xtreme Sport Stand Bag

The difficulty of golf is overrated by the average golfer because they don't take the steps to learn the game properly. Golf is based on a learned skill and repetition requiring only moderate coordination. The problem with golf is people don't put in the time when learning. In team sports you are forced to practice everyday with your team in season. Conversely, most golfers learn the sport on their own and think it can be done simply by going to the course once a week.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

Snooker. When you watch the best in the world you realise just how hard the sport is.

And not with golf? Also formula 1. Don't forget Tennis, football too. Its the same with every sport. Being the best, at the top level takes tremendous ammounts of skill and dedication.

Whats in the bag:

Driver: Nike Ignite 460cc 10.5* Fujikura Ignite reg flex
Fairway woods: Howson tour master power series 3,5 woods
Irons: MacGregor M675 3-PW DG S300 Wedges: Mizuno MP-R Black Nickel 54.10, 60.05Putter: Pinfire Golf P4Ball: Titleist NXT TourHome Course:http://www.golfarmagh.co.uk/...

• 4 weeks later...
I don't know. Hockey I might put up there pretty high, too, but at the same time it involves an opponent, and teammates. Golf is perhaps the only sport* with no true "opponent" and no teammates.

I vote surfing. I was an avid surfer for 26 years before becoming a golf addict. Surfing is you against the Ocean. Ultimately you are on your own out there, especially when the waves are big. If you skrew up surfing you can get seriously hurt or worse. Me, alone in February. Water Temp 38* Air Temp28* And in warmer weather.

I vote surfing. I was an avid surfer for 26 years before becoming a golf addict. Surfing is you against the Ocean. Ultimately you are on your own out there, especially when the waves are big. If you skrew up surfing you can get seriously hurt or worse.

im with you brother... ive been surfing since i can remember... but i love all sports you can play... by yourself...

golf surfing snowboarding but i love to watch team sports on tv
RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

I will say that gymnastics. They have to be very skilled to be at the top level. I saw a film that some local TV in Romania did and they show how the girls train and a bit of how they live. And considering that they are girls of 16 - 19 years old.

I love one phrase that this Romanian's girls said, it was something like this... "if gymnastics were easy, they will be called football (soccer)".

Regards!

Driver: 905R 9.5° (UST Proforce V2 Stiff) | Fairway: 906F2 15° (UST Proforce V2 Stiff) | Hybrid: 585.H 21° (S300) | Irons: AP2 4-PW (Project X 6.0) | Wedges: Vokey Design 52.08, 56.11 & 60.11  | Putter: Studio Select Newport 2 

www.flickr.com/avm_photo

Several years ago this topic would come up in Sports Illustrated Magazine. Interestingly, the best athlete in the world (at one time anyway) was a considered to be a handball player (think of the agility and the requirement of both right and left handedness.) Hitting a major league pitcher was number one on the difficulty scale and golf was acknowledged as one of the most demanding or difficult sports. I don't remember the others. In terms of Olympic sports, I read that at the Sydney Olympics the athletes with the best metabolic efficiency were the windsurfers, even better than the cyclists, swimmers, runners, etc. I cannot vouch for the accuracy of any of this -- any sport can be difficult if you are comparing performances of the best in the world.

RC

Note: This thread is 5507 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!