IGNORED

Average Distances - How Far Do You Hit Each Club? (And Don't Lie!)

Note: This thread is 962 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Game Golf keeps approach shot statistics. I suggest people should look at them. They are quite interesting. I tend to miss short or left. My most accurate range is 100 - 125 yds. That would be my pitching wedge and 9 iron - 51% within 15 yds. A close second is 50 - 100.

You're not understanding what I'm stating, GG reports total yardage or wherever you "beep" the next shot. What I'm stating is carry is more important if we're talking about sticking more greens for lower scores.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Your average is a maybe, mine is. I shoot what I do because I don't have pie in the sky expectations. I expect the worst on every shot and plan for it. Everything better than that is simply an opportunity. It's rare to exceed better than worst. A 2 handicap I played with last week had a similar approach. Most of my shots suck.

Dave :-)

Your average is a maybe, mine is. I shoot what I do because I don't have pie in the sky expectations. I expect the worst on every shot and plan for it. Everything better than that is simply an opportunity. It's rare to exceed better than worst. A 2 handicap I played with last week had a similar approach. Most of my shots suck.

I know exactly how you feel, only 4 strokes worse! :-P :-D

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

You're not understanding what I'm stating, GG reports total yardage or wherever you "beep" the next shot. What I'm stating is carry is more important if we're talking about sticking more greens for lower scores.

So am I. The way I play some shots my carry distance is the same as my total distance - like with my 8 iron and shorter depending upon how soft the greens are. If they're hard, then I'll get some bounce and roll, but if they're normal, then it'll pop and drop.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

[QUOTE name="Lihu" url="/t/18426/average-distances-how-far-do-you-hit-each-club-and-dont-lie/2232#post_1199412"] You're not understanding what I'm stating, GG reports total yardage or wherever you "beep" the next shot. What I'm stating is carry is more important if we're talking about sticking more greens for lower scores.[/QUOTE] So am I. The way I play some shots my carry distance is the same as my total distance - like with my 8 iron and shorter depending upon how soft the greens are. If they're hard, then I'll get some bounce and roll, but if they're normal, then it'll pop and drop.

You stated that you tend to miss short or left. That means you tend to miss about half your shots short depending upon what your shot zone looks like. If you take one club more you have a better chance of hitting more greens. This could mean you hit around a club shorter than you think you do.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

If you take one club more you have a better chance of hitting more greens. This could mean you hit around a club shorter than you think you do.

If I take one more club I have a better chance of hitting over a green. At my course, that's a better chance for a lost ball on more than half the greens. I use a GPS for approach shots and it gives me a pretty good idea (with a decent lie) of how far I hit my irons. I don't miss greens short one after the other and cry "why does this keep happening?!!"

Your average is a maybe, mine is. I shoot what I do because I don't have pie in the sky expectations. I expect the worst on every shot and plan for it.

Everything better than that is simply an opportunity. It's rare to exceed better than worst. A 2 handicap I played with last week had a similar approach. Most of my shots suck.

I shoot what I do despite not having pie in the sky expectations. I check my ego at the parking lot every time I play. I'm not a long hitter and I'm ok with that.

Our weaknesses show up during play. It's not that hard - even for a high capper - to recognize them. If I were habitually missing greens short and that same type of miss was costing me strokes on every round, it would be an easy adjustment to make.

Jon

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

If you take one club more you have a better chance of hitting more greens. This could mean you hit around a club shorter than you think you do.

If I take one more club I have a better chance of hitting over a green. At my course, that's a better chance for a lost ball on more than half the greens. I use a GPS for approach shots and it gives me a pretty good idea (with a decent lie) of how far I hit my irons. I don't miss greens short one after the other and cry "why does this keep happening?!!"

This might not apply to you then. . .

So, back on my topic within a topic. I'm also thinking that maybe many of us over swing as well? If we swung with a lot less effort with our irons and live with whatever distance they give us rather than trying to hit them to a standard distance, maybe we could also improve our accuracy?

I'm wondering if we revise to this more accurate type of swing if we will see more realistic distances that correlate to actual scoring ability?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Probably not. It's a contact issue not a loft issue. The reason one more club often results in a better shot is the mishits simply travel farther. I could take what feel like half swings with impact tape and the pattern of where I make contact would still be erratic. Big reason I use forgiving irons. I want that shot off the toe to at least give me a chance to recover from it that doesn't require heroic efforts.

Basically I know what my averages are but they move around with time so I use it as a baseline. If I look at my GG numbers there are a lot of shots on both sides of the average, long and short, but more short than long. I don't have the ability to stick it on whatever that number is with any consistency. Most of the time I miss short. If I miss long it's that once or twice a round instance where I made very good contact. If I play 4 rounds a week it's 8-10 shots max out of several hundred. I just assume I will miss short and try not to.

But it starts on the tee. The further away from the green I am the more severe the mishit will be. Once in a while I get lucky and that thinned hybrid actually makes it to the green rolling most of the way. On paper it looks great in real life it's one of those things you hope nobody saw.

Dave :-)

My distances really aren't relevant since I play at such a high altitude.

Saying I hit my 8-iron 165 on average doesn't mean much.  I just know how far each club goes and plan accordingly.  Numbers on the clubs really don't matter outside of ego.

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

My distances really aren't relevant since I play at such a high altitude.

Saying I hit my 8-iron 165 on average doesn't mean much.  I just know how far each club goes and plan accordingly.  Numbers on the clubs really don't matter outside of ego.

Just out of curiosity, do the low spin clubs increase distances like they do down at sea level?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Just out of curiosity, do the low spin clubs increase distances like they do down at sea level?

I am not really sure, sorry.

Denver is the lowest altitude I have played at, 5280 feet.  I grew up playing at around 6500 feet.

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

My distances really aren't relevant since I play at such a high altitude. Saying I hit my 8-iron 165 on average doesn't mean much.  I just know how far each club goes and plan accordingly.  Numbers on the clubs really don't matter outside of ego.

Agreed... 'How far' one hits each each club doesn't matter. What matters is 'knowing how far' so one can choose the appropriate club. [quote name="Lihu" url="/t/18426/average-distances-how-far-do-you-hit-each-club-and-dont-lie/2220#post_1199690"] Just out of curiosity, do the low spin clubs increase distances like they do down at sea level? [/quote] I'm not sure of the physics of the low spin question. However, I can say from experience I switched from a G15 to a G30 LS a few months ago, and I have lost a little distance. Not sure why though

Agreed... 'How far' one hits each each club doesn't matter. What matters is 'knowing how far' so one can choose the appropriate club.

I'm not sure of the physics of the low spin question. However, I can say from experience I switched from a G15 to a G30 LS a few months ago, and I have lost a little distance. Not sure why though

I use the LS as well, and I have gained distance because of roll out.  So long as I can launch it correctly, it will also travel through the air more.  I think it comes down to how much spin you are putting on it.  If it's too little, the ball will almost nose dive.  I think you really have to be swinging 110+mph to get the most benefit from a LS G30.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Quote:

I'm not sure of the physics of the low spin question. However, I can say from experience I switched from a G15 to a G30 LS a few months ago, and I have lost a little distance. Not sure why though

I was just wondering if the 1700rpm optimum backspin is dependent upon air density?

Quote:

Originally Posted by tefunk

Agreed... 'How far' one hits each each club doesn't matter. What matters is 'knowing how far' so one can choose the appropriate club.

I use the LS as well, and I have gained distance because of roll out.  So long as I can launch it correctly, it will also travel through the air more.  I think it comes down to how much spin you are putting on it.  If it's too little, the ball will almost nose dive.  I think you really have to be swinging 110+mph to get the most benefit from a LS G30.

Not sure this is true. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

My swing speed ranges from 105-115. I don't know if it's the shaft being .5" shorter, or just a little different than the shaft on the G15 (which I understand they're similar other than the .5"). [quote name="Lihu" url="/t/18426/average-distances-how-far-do-you-hit-each-club-and-dont-lie/2220#post_1199719"] I was just wondering if the 1700rpm optimum backspin is dependent upon air density? [/quote] I typically play anywhere at an elevation 4400 - 7000 ft (and 400 ft when I go back home). The ball does fly farther of course at elevation, but yea, I don't know how much the spin vs. Elevation/thin air impacts ball flight. My experience with a LS driver so far is telling me I'm shorter... I'd be curious to know myself

Quote:

I was just wondering if the 1700rpm optimum backspin is dependent upon air density?

I typically play anywhere at an elevation 4400 - 7000 ft (and 400 ft when I go back home). The ball does fly farther of course at elevation, but yea, I don't know how much the spin vs. Elevation/thin air impacts ball flight. My experience with a LS driver so far is telling me I'm shorter...

I'd be curious to know myself

Time to do some research on high altitude low spin drivers. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Originally Posted by Dave2512

But it starts on the tee. The further away from the green I am the more severe the mishit will be. Once in a while I get lucky and that thinned hybrid actually makes it to the green rolling most of the way. On paper it looks great in real life it's one of those things you hope nobody saw.

I agree with what you about the tee shot. For the last month or so, I've felt pretty confident from 150 and in. That's not to say I'm going to always hit a green from that distance, but I have a pretty good chance for at least a nGIR. Unfortunately, a mishit drive on a par 4 basically ruins any chance for par because I just don't have the full swing to make up that distance, nor do I have the short game/putting to get up and down.

Originally Posted by Dave2512

Basically I know what my averages are but they move around with time so I use it as a baseline. If I look at my GG numbers there are a lot of shots on both sides of the average, long and short, but more short than long. I don't have the ability to stick it on whatever that number is with any consistency. Most of the time I miss short. If I miss long it's that once or twice a round instance where I made very good contact. If I play 4 rounds a week it's 8-10 shots max out of several hundred. I just assume I will miss short and try not to.

There are days when I am just a bit longer and others where I'm hitting shorter. It's not by much, but knowing it early on is the difference when selecting a club if there's an in-between distance, wind, an elevated green, poor lie... The different lies are toughest for me and where I'm most likely to mishit and come up short. I have a lot to learn in that regard.

Jon

So long as I can launch it correctly, it will also travel through the air more.

After thinking about it more, launch angle could be key. I typically have always hit more down on impact vs. up. Something I was working on this year was hitting up on the ball with driver, but I just realized it's not something I've maintained a focus on lately and could have slipped back into the old habit. Launch angle might be more important to pay attention to with a low spin driver?

Note: This thread is 962 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!