IGNORED

Average Distances - How Far Do You Hit Each Club? (And Don't Lie!)

Note: This thread is 941 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Driver - 270

3W - 250

3H - 230

4i - 190

5i - 180

6i - 170

7i - 160

8i - 150

9i - 140

PW - 130

50* - 120

55*  - 110

60* - 60 and in

putter - no distance, just make sure I use it 3 times in a row

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I just had a chance to measure my distances the other day and this is what I came up with for carry yardages.

Driver: 260-285

3w: 245-255

2i: 235 but it plays to 250

3i: 230

4i: 215

5i: 205

6i: 195

7i: 180

8i: 170

9i: 160

48*: 150 max

53*: 135 max

58*: 115 max

In the bag:
Driver: R9 Supertri
3W: R9
3i-PW: Mizuno Mp-68
Wedges: Taylormade Racs
Putter: PING Redwood blade

On 4/5/2016 at 2:39 PM, tigerrag said:

D- 275

3W- about 3 feet off the ground

5W- 235

4I: 215

5I: 205

6I: 190

7I: 180

8I: 170

9I: 160

PW: 150

GW: 130

SW: 115

Why carry a 3wood then?  Put a 7 wood and a lob wedge in your bag and the 3 wood on EBAy.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, IndianaDundee said:

Why carry a 3wood then?  Put a 7 wood and a lob wedge in your bag and the 3 wood on EBAy.

Or maybe drop the 3w and 5w and replace with a 4w.  Then you could still drop in a 62 or something 

Edited by Brian W
  • Upvote 1

On 6/1/2005 at 10:59 AM, pmm5557 said:

I know everyone is different, but I was curious as to what distance you hit your clubs (i.e., average distance you consistently hit your clubs). More than anything, I am just curious as to what is normal since the guy I usually play with takes two clubs less than I do. I know consistency matters more than distance, but I was just wondering.

Drive: 225-260
3w: 190-220
4h: 180-205
5i: ~160-170
6i: ~150-160
7i: 135-150
8i: 125-140
9i: 110-120
PW: 90-110
GW: 70-85
SW: 60-75

These are full-swing carry distances assuming decent contact on the hit. My driver swing speed averages around 97mph, at the wedge side it's around 55mph. My driver is the most inconsistent on distance because the swing is so different from all the other clubs, I'm still trying to get an overall setup dialed in properly, but it plays. I was a little generous on the 3w; when I pop it out there, this is what I can expect, but tops and turfs are still the bane of my par-5 and long par-4 scores, so I'm as likely to end up with a 30-yard top or turf as to pop it in the air with a nice clean swing.

Edited by Liko81

• 2 weeks later...

Driver:  230-250

3W: 220

5W: 200

3H: 180

4H: 165

5H: 155

6I: 140-145

7I: 130-135

8I: 110

9I: 95

PW: 85

GW: 60

SW: 30  yes, that is correct, on the driving range, I can only hit a SW about 30 yards. 

64 degree wedge: 15 yards?  Straight up and straight down.  Embarrassing.  I swing as hard as I can, and it just looks like a Phil Mickelson flop shot. 

The disparity is really striking: I routinely hit my driver 250, which means 220 in the air and 30 yards of roll, but I have no distance in my short irons.  Time to get professional help. 

• 4 weeks later...

These distances sound pretty long to me.  I play up north with very little roll sometimes.

Where are you guys playing?  South?  West?

My carry is 180-190 with 10.5 TM Burner driver. 

Edited by lewburg

The OP asked for 'average distances you consistently hit your clubs', therefore my numbers are:

Driver- 240, 3w- 200, 3h- 185, 4h- 175, 5i- 165, 6i- 155, 7i- 145, 8i- 135, 9i- 120, pw- 110, 51*- 100, 55*- 90

Carry on my wayward drive

There'll be pars when you are done

Lay your weary wedge to rest

Don't you shank no more 

I just try to hit every club 125 yards even the driver . The ball will travel the correct distance for each club. If I try to muscle it and redline it then the outcome will be poor 

The only exception inside 120 yards I use my wedges and use a mini swing and not my full swing 

Driver:  Don't carry one

3W: 215 ish? (16*)

3H: 230-240 with roll

4i: 210 ish

5i: 200

6I: 190

7I: 175

8I: 165

9I: 155

PW: 140

GW: 125 (49*)

AW: 105-110 (52*)

SW: 85-95 (56*)

Realize that I play lower lofted clubs: my pitching wedge is 44 degrees, and my 5 iron is 25 degrees!

WITB:
TM R580 9.5* Driver /  Adams Tight Lies 16* FW /  Adams 9031 18* 3H / Adams A7 4H 22* / Adams Super S 5-PW / Adams CB3 GW 49* / Pinemeadow AW 52* / Vokey SW 56* / Ping Pal Putter

• 1 month later...

Yards of average Carry: Good ball striking will add 5 yards and a poor contact will reduce 5/10 yards. Miss to the left will add 5 yards and miss to the rigth will reduce 5 yards. 

Driver: 250
3 Wood: 220
4I: 190
5I: 180
6I: 170
7I: 160
8I: 150
9I: 140
P:130
W: 120
G: 105
S: 90
L: 80

Index: 2
Can hit it loger than that ? yes, but a lot less accurate in length and width.  

I can't tell anymore after my last series of lessons. It's a problem. They're all going further, but some are going much further, like my 8-iron and 9-iron now have too much gap between them. 

If I had to guess I'm prob same distance (on average) as @Hatchman

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Hatchman said:

Never.  I'm just envious.  Keep hitting them long and strong.  

Yea I don't hit them too bad for a guy turning 50. I know my days of hitting the long ball are not going to last too much longer

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, kwjewell67 said:

Yea I don't hit them too bad for a guy turning 50. I know my days of hitting the long ball are not going to last too much longer

I don't believe a 9 handicap average 300 yards drives and hits a 3 wood 260.

Note: This thread is 941 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!