IGNORED

Average Distances - How Far Do You Hit Each Club? (And Don't Lie!)

Note: This thread is 959 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

How far I do hit -- not how far I can hit -- on "full" swings for each club. In other words, no chips or odd pitching shots but some easy and choked up swings.

Driver -- 220-250 carry

3-wood -- 210-230 carry

3-hybrid -- 200-220

4-hybrid -- 175-200

5-iron -- 160-170

6-iron -- 150-160

7- iron -- 140-150

8-iron -- 130-140

9-iron -- 120-130

PW -- 100-120

GW -- 70-100

56* -- <80

60* -- <60

My distances are very close to yours. Would I like to be longer sure. But given a choice I would choose to be more accurate. I have played with a few really big hitters. Very few though. I do think people overestimate. I measure my distances with GPS. Yesterday I thought I crushed one, thinking a big number and it went 240 (which as plenty for the hole.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by inthecup

My distances are very close to yours. Would I like to be longer sure....

I eased up on all my swings last year and dropped at least one club length in distance. At the same time my index dropped 15% to an all time low at one point. I feel better with controlled distances. BTW, I am 52 and mostly play with guys older than I am. I'm almost always the longest guy off the tee in every group in which I play. Perhaps that helps me not try and be macho and hit everything as far as I can.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

Originally Posted by carrx

It was pretty evident what I was saying.  I didn't specifcally call anybody a liar, I just noted the humorous propensity for apparently huge hitters on this thread.  I'm sorry if my comment ruffled your feathers, but thanks for translating what "most people" do.

Rule #1:  Long-hitters on the internet are always sensitive about it.

Rule #2:  Long-hitters in real-life couldn't care less.

Originally Posted by inthecup

Yesterday I thought I crushed one, thinking a big number and it went 240 (which as plenty for the hole.

I used to think I hit bombs all the time, but they just had too much spin and stayed in the air 8.3 seconds.  Now I'm airborne 6.9 seconds, looks like a knuckleball, and is 30 yards longer.  Carry is the smaller component of that gain with roll the large majority.  Long bombs are sneaky that way.  They don't look quite as pretty as you think.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

Driver            260

3 Wood         240

18* Hybrid     225

20* Hybrid     205

4 Iron            190

5 Iron            180

6 Iron            165

7 Iron            155

8 Iron            145

9 Iron            135

PW               118

Gw                108

56* SW          85

Originally Posted by Jimdangles

im at sea level and i am:

Good driver      300+

average driver   280

3 wood            260ish

3 iron              220

4 iron              205

5 iron              195

6 iron              185

7 iron              175

8 iron             160

9 iron             145

pitch              130

52                  120

56                  110

60                  green - 100 (love this club)

Nice.  Seems to be a lot of high handicap golfers that hit their clubs like PGA Tour professionals.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

Distances measured without a range finder or GPS is almost a waste. The range finder is one of the smartest investments I've ever made in golf. Helped me learn my iron distances and showed me how far I really hit the driver. Not just gauging it off some inaccurate course markers and adding 20 yards here and there just to be sure.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by bunkerputt

Rule #1:  Long-hitters on the internet are always sensitive about it.

Rule #2:  Long-hitters in real-life couldn't care less.

That's very true.

On the internet people are often being called liars, or having their laser confirmed distances questioned, but in real life someone wouldn't have the courage to suggest it out loud.  In real life I've never once had some accuse me of lying about my driving distance - especially if they'd ever played a round with me.

At least Mr3Wiggle [almost] had the courage to actually quote the person he's calling a liar. Almost.

• Upvote 1

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

That's very true.

On the internet people are often being called liars, or having their laser confirmed distances questioned, but in real life someone wouldn't have the courage to suggest it out loud.  In real life I've never once had some accuse me of lying about my driving distance - especially if they'd ever played a round with me.

At least Mr3Wiggle [almost] had the courage to actually quote the person he's calling a liar. Almost.

Not calling anyone a liar.  I honestly think people believe those are the distances they hit each club.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

It is funny but not unusual for a long hitter to have a high handicap. I take myself as an example. I take lessons every Sunday and can Carry 250 on most drives at the range. My drives maybe end up at 270-275 maybe. My coach says I have pro distance all the time, but when he hits his driver, he hits down the center at a specific target 300+. I hit to the 250 mark right side of fairway, left side of fairway. I can't hit that way to a specific target. I just use all my power to hit the ball and hope it doesn't slice. My coach has been trying to take away distance so I can be consistent. So I start hitting 230 carry straight but then im not happy because ive lost yardage. Thats the problem with high handicappers. Its not distance. Its controlling that distance and putting it in the fairway.

Originally Posted by Mr3Wiggle

Quote:

That's very true.

Not calling anyone a liar.  I honestly think people believe those are the distances they hit each club.

I'm sorry to suggest you calling him a liar then. You were calling him mistaken. If I didn't know better I'd suggest you're a mod who's just trolling for kicks now.

EDIT: more often than not you're probably right, BUT, I think it's the guys who say they "average 260 yards carry" with a driver but hit their 3-wood 220 who are truly out to lunch.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by Zeph

Distances measured without a range finder or GPS is almost a waste. The range finder is one of the smartest investments I've ever made in golf. Helped me learn my iron distances and showed me how far I really hit the driver. Not just gauging it off some inaccurate course markers and adding 20 yards here and there just to be sure.

My index dropped a couple points after getting a rangefinder in 2010.

My index dropped a couple points after getting a rangefinder in 2010.

Saves my ass so much when I go out to a new course (thankfully a lot have them in the cart).  I don't notice a big difference when it comes to telling me how far a green is, but it's the hazards that save my ass.  It makes the difference from going for the green in 2 on a par 5 and getting a 6 (after losing a ball) and laying up and making an easy par or birdie.

Driver: RBZ 9.5° Stiff

Woods: :nike:VR_S Tour 2.0 15° Stiff

Hybrids:  910H 21° Stiff

Irons: 4-GW Pro Black CB1 with Project X rifle 6.0

Wedges:CC Jaws 56°.14° 60°.08°

Putter: Classic 1

Ball:  Z-Star XV Pure White

Originally Posted by moparman426

Well put.

Originally Posted by Mr3Wiggle

That's my take as well.  Even when I've been playing rounds with folks, I've had them say things to me like "that has to be 300-plus!" on a drive that went about 275.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

I was wondering how far everyone hits each club in there bag... and what it is in comparison to the beginning of the season... here is mine... Driver 300 3-wood 270 2-iron 245 3-iron 230 4-iron 215 5-iron 200 6-iron 188 7-iron 175 8-iron 162 9-iron 150 Pitching wedge 135 52 wedge 118 56 wedge 102

As I have been playing with a bag of 7 clubs for a few years I can only quote them... Driver - 210-250 5-wood 270 - 180-210 5-Hybrid - 150 -180 7-iron 175 - 130-150 9-iron 150 - 10- 130 56 wedge - emergencies from 80 and less and in the greenside bunker Putter - 0 to about 30 yards

I'm sorry to suggest you calling him a liar then. You were calling him mistaken. If I didn't know better I'd suggest you're a mod who's just trolling for kicks now. EDIT: more often than not you're probably right, BUT, I think it's the guys who say they "average 260 yards carry" with a driver but hit their 3-wood 220 who are truly out to lunch.

My favorite is the posters who state their drives are 285-300 but only hit a pw 110 etc. I only hit my driver 235, but my pw is 105-110. If you hit a difficult club 300 and an easy to hit club 110 which one is the one you're mistaken about?

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

It varies, if i had 155yards no wind fairway lie its a smooth 8 iron. But there are so many variables. These are smooth swings not trying to "kill it" 58 degree wedge 105 56 degree wedge 115 PW 125 9 iron 140 8 iron 155 comfortably this is my preferred club 7 iron 170 6 iron 185 5 iron 195 4 iron 210 3 iron 220-225 13 degree 3-wood 255-260 9 degree driver 285... Now I will say carry distance with my driver is not great. I have a very low trajectory and play a draw often so i get a ton of roll. I will also say just switched to the new taylormade rbz tour 3 wood that ball jumps off the club face

One thing to add is how straight or not these distances are.  For me dr-5i is a small fade, 5-10 yards, and 6-gw is straight to small draw, less than 5 yards.

Driver -- 220-240

3-wood -- 200-220

3-iron -- 175-190

4-iron -- 165-175

5-iron -- 150-160

6-iron -- 140-150

7- iron -- 130-140

8-iron -- 120-130

9-iron -- 105-115

PW -- 90-100

GW -- 50-70

56* -- 30-40

60* -- 20-30

Not the best, but they are getting better.  My 2 year old likes to go shag balls at the school with me, so I have gotten in alot more practice this year.  It is paying off

Note: This thread is 959 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!