IGNORED

Average Distances - How Far Do You Hit Each Club? (And Don't Lie!)

Note: This thread is 962 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by sean_miller

I'm sorry to suggest you calling him a liar then. You were calling him mistaken. If I didn't know better I'd suggest you're a mod who's just trolling for kicks now.

EDIT: more often than not you're probably right, BUT, I think it's the guys who say they "average 260 yards carry" with a driver but hit their 3-wood 220 who are truly out to lunch.

Not a mod.  Most "long-ball hitters" I've played with are legends in their own minds.  They remember a couple downwind tee shots they hit when the course was rolling hard and think that's how far they hit it on average.  If they legitimately had to take the average of all of their tee shots that landed in the fairway and average them, I would expect that number to be far lower than their claim to be their average.  Likewise with the irons.  All of the guys claiming their stock 7 iron is 170 yards, if they pulled that club on a 170 yard par 3 (conditions being no wind and no downhill) I would think they would come up short most of the time.  People believe what they want to believe.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

Those people likely flip the club through impact.  A lot of them hit low lofted drivers to compensate for the loft they are adding.  Unfortunately they can't really make that compensation with their wedges so they hit them shorter.  Probably a common theme with most clubs in their bag.

Those people likely flip the club through impact.  A lot of them hit low lofted drivers to compensate for the loft they are adding.  Unfortunately they can't really make that compensation with their wedges so they hit them shorter.  Probably a common theme with most clubs in their bag.

It sure sounds like you've played with a lot of posers in your day. Maybe you even see one when looking in the mirror?!?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

It sure sounds like you've played with a lot of posers in your day. Maybe you even see one when looking in the mirror?!?

You seem to be getting a little defensive.  I will admit, I find your stated distances a little hard to believe.  If your swing is mechanically sound enough to produce the distances (on average no less) that you claim, and you are still sporting a 10 handicap then you are a true anomaly.

Originally Posted by Mr3Wiggle

You seem to be getting a little defensive.  I will admit, I find your stated distances a little hard to believe.  If your swing is mechanically sound enough to produce the distances (on average no less) that you claim, and you are still sporting a 10 handicap then you are a true anomaly.

A 10 handicap hitting those distances isn't that farfetched IMO (and he's really a 6...and playing at altitude).  It's the 15-20 range that draws my skepticism.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Quote:

Hah - I knew you were calling me a liar. You're a trolling troll that trolls.

I never said my stock distances were "average". I hit a couple clubs longer than almost everyone golf with. As a long hitter yourself, you're probably used to hitting mid-irons when other people are reaching for fairway woods and hybrids.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

BTW - a 170 yard par 3 is an 8-iron, not a 7-iron.

Not really calling you a liar.  Like I said I think you believe you hit the ball those distances on average.  But go ahead and get defensive and call people names because they don't believe your internet boasts.  It only helps your believability.

Quote:

BTW - a 170 yard par 3 is an 8-iron, not a 7-iron.

Not really calling you a liar.  Like I said I think you believe you hit the ball those distances on average.  But go ahead and get defensive and call people names because they don't believe your internet boasts.  It only helps your believability.

You haven't played my course in the spring time, so you don't know I need to land the ball 10-15 yards short - lol.

I don't care if you believe my stock distances, because they're neither boastful nor that impressive. They're pretty standard for a lot of ex hockey and ball players. They're also longer than a lot of hackers and unathletic people around here. I'm particularly satisfied you've admitted you were calling people liars though. Flipping - lol.

You haven't played my course in the spring time, so you don't know I need to land the ball 10-15 yards short - lol.

I don't care if you believe my stock distances, because they're neither boastful nor that impressive. They're pretty standard for a lot of ex hockey and ball players. They're also longer than a lot of hackers and unathletic people around here. I'm particularly satisfied you've admitted you were calling people liars though. Flipping - lol.

I see so you determine your stock distances on bone dry hard conditions.  Good stuff.

Quote:

I see so you determine your stock distances on bone dry hard conditions.  Good stuff.

Not dry, just not stopping consistently so I play a 170 yard par 3 as a 160 yard 8-iron with reduced backspin and if it checks on a dime, it's still better to have been short than long. You always have a shot from short of the green at my course. Long is almost always dead.

I assumed a stock irons distance was the distance the ball landed - where the ball mark will be. Not sure who lists their "average" for irons or who even tracks that. A comfortable 7-iron can be 150 yards or 190 yards. Depends on the day, but typicaly it's my ~ 175 club.

You can calculate your average 7-iron distance and post that, but I'll go with a yardage from typical shots during rounds. How other guys get those distances is up to them.

Assuming I'm hitting the ball decently with a smooth swing i.e. not trying to crush it
Average distance:
Driver - 280

3 wood tee shot - 260
3 wood grass - 240
3 iron - 230
4 iron - 210

5 iron - 190

6 iron - 180
7 iron - 170
8 iron - 160
9 iron - 145
PW - 135
50 deg wedge - 120
52 deg wedge - 110
56 deg wedge - 90
60 deg wedge - 60

In My Bag:
Driver: :cleveland:  Hi-Bore XLS
Irons: :cleveland:  CCi 3i-PW
Wedges: :nike:  VR V-Rev Cast Black-Satin
Putter: :ping:  IC 20-10A

Before I get flamed for "hitting the ball too far for not being that good", I've never had my handicap checked so I just put a random number in there.  Can shoot mid to low 80's on most courses in my area.  No idea what that translates into.  Also, just because I can hit my driver 300+ sometimes and my 3-iron further than some people doesn't mean it's always straight or at the target.  On the range I go to those are the distances I can hit my clubs, but that doesn't always translate to success on the course. So any doubters can suck it!

• Upvote 1

In My Bag:

Originally Posted by RichWW2

Before I get flamed for "hitting the ball too far for not being that good", I've never had my handicap checked so I just put a random number in there.  Can shoot mid to low 80's on most courses in my area.  No idea what that translates into.  Also, just because I can hit my driver 300+ sometimes and my 3-iron further than some people doesn't mean it's always straight or at the target.  On the range I go to those are the distances I can hit my clubs, but that doesn't always translate to success on the course. So any doubters can suck it!

No one is going to flame you.  Some might think that if you pulled out your 3 iron on a 230 yd par 3 you'd come up way short 9 times out of 10 though.

No one is going to flame you.  Some might think that if you pulled out your 3 iron on a 230 yd par 3 you'd come up way short 9 times out of 10 though.

I'm 6'4" tall, and have always been able to hit the ball a long way.  Good ole physics helping me out. Assuming I hit the ball well, distance wouldn't be the problem.  The problem would be hitting the green.  I'm not *that* accurate with my longer irons, so that's where the real issue comes in.

In My Bag:

Originally Posted by RichWW2

Assuming I'm hitting the ball decently with a smooth swing i.e. not trying to crush it

Average distance:

Driver - 280

3 wood tee shot - 260

3 wood grass - 240

3 iron - 230

4 iron - 210

5 iron - 190

6 iron - 180

7 iron - 170

8 iron - 160

9 iron - 145

PW - 135

50 deg wedge - 120

52 deg wedge - 110

56 deg wedge - 90

60 deg wedge - 60

Do you flip flop between the 50* and the 52*? Otherwise you play without a putter.

I am a 62 year old, always trying to get better like we all are!!  :-)  Just bought new Rocketballz metals and there IS a learning curve. . .!

Driver:  260 - 275 yds.

3 Wood:  230 - 245 yds.

3 hybrid:  210 - 220 yds.

4 iron: 190 - 200 yds.

5 iron:  180 - 190 yds.

6 iron:  170 - 180 yds.

7 iron:  160 - 170 yds.

8 iron:  150 - 160 yds.

9 iron:  130 - 145 yds.

Wedge:  100 - 125 yds.

Sand Wedge:  90 - 110 yds.

60 degree Wedge:  60 - 85 yds.

Mike

. . ."Commit to each shot. . .and believe"!!

In my R7 Tour Bag:

Driver: Taylor Made R1 "Black" Aldila RIP Phenom Stiff Shaft  Fairway:  RocketBallz #3 (15 degree) Stiff Shaft  Hybrid:  #3 (19 degree) Stiff Shaft,  Hybrid:  #5 Burner (25 degree) Stiff Shaft   Irons & Wedges: CGB Max '08 Black Steel Stiff Shaft. PW, SW, & LW. Putter: Rossa Modena...

It's very interesting that you so ardently defend the integrity of all those posters and their 230 yard 4-irons, but you draw the line at a person who would claim to carry their 3-wood only 220 when they carry their driver 260.  It's an interesting juxtaposition.

I'm sorry to suggest you calling him a liar then. You were calling him mistaken. If I didn't know better I'd suggest you're a mod who's just trolling for kicks now.

EDIT: more often than not you're probably right, BUT, I think it's the guys who say they "average 260 yards carry" with a driver but hit their 3-wood 220 who are truly out to lunch.

• Upvote 1

Ping i15 9.0 (UST Mamiya S)

Cobra X-Speed 4+ Wood (Aldila S)

Cobra Baffler 3-Hybrid (19)

Mizuno JPX-825 Pro (4-GW) KBS Tour S

Cobra Rusty 55 SW

Cobra Rusty 59 LW

Never Compromise Gambler (34")

I'm going nutz with my distances since I changed from the baseball bat grip to the overlap grip.   I've incorporated more wrist hinge at the top of my backswing ... those two factors have me overshooting greens by at least 15-25 yards consistently with a well struck wedge.      I have to relearn all my distances - toughest part is trusting that I'm actually going to hit it that much farther when it comes to selecting a club - really struggling with that...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 962 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!