IGNORED

Average Distances - How Far Do You Hit Each Club? (And Don't Lie!)

Note: This thread is 967 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by RichWW2

Actually never play with the 60 deg wedge. Could never hit it with consistently enough for it to be useful. My bag usually consists of Dr, 3w, 3i-PW, 50, 52, 56, and Putter.  I don't really need a 50 and a 52, but i don't like the 58 or 60 degree wedge I have, so they aren't in the bag when I play.  And that opens up room for one of those clubs so it works out.

That reminds me...

58 degree wedge - 75 yards

I never liked my 52*, that's why I went to the 50*, 54*, 58* setup. Glad it works for you. Play well!

Jim

Originally Posted by Rudyprimo

There's 3 things almost every guy will exaggerate, how much he can bench press, how much tail he gets and how far he can drive a golf ball.  This thread was just asking for some controversy and accusations of exaggerating.

Fortunately, I've never had to lie about any of those three things.  I can drive a golf ball 300 yards with my putter,  I warm up with 300 lbs. to bench press, and I've had more women than Wilt Chamberlain.

That IS hilarious!

Originally Posted by jrshields3

That IS hilarious!

All over 300 for anyone 13-15 on the internet.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

locker.jpg

I have a question.  Does anyone besides me "go after it" with their woods off the tee, but exercise an intentionally controlled 3/4 (or less) swing with their irons?  There is something about the damn huge head on the woods that make me want to kill the ball.  Yeah, but...but...but....There is no way your drives with that monster 460cc club can be close to 300 or more if your 7 iron only goes 170!!!!  Honestly, who in their right (expletive deleted) mind whacks the ball with their irons as hard as they do with their driver?  The ones who tie the distances to the two different swings are the guys who are full of (sh)it.

And.......

It's over 9000 (not 300)!

Originally Posted by moparman426

I have a question.  Does anyone besides me "go after it" with their woods off the tee, but exercise an intentionally controlled 3/4 (or less) swing with their irons?  There is something about the damn huge head on the woods that make me want to kill the ball.  Yeah, but...but...but....There is no way your drives with that monster 460cc club can be close to 300 or more if your 7 iron only goes 170!!!!  Honestly, who in their right (expletive deleted) mind whacks the ball with their irons as hard as they do with their driver?  The ones who tie the distances to the two different swings are the guys who are full of (sh)it.

And.......

I'm with you.  I swing aggressively with the driver.  To me that's what it's there for...distance!  Everything else though I try to just put it in play.  Consequently I have a sizeable yardage gap between my 3 wood and driver.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

Honestly, who in their right (expletive deleted) mind whacks the ball with their irons as hard as they do with their driver?  The ones who tie the distances to the two different swings are the guys who are full of (sh)it.

I can't say what other people do, but I swing pretty hard with both.  My definition of "hard" has changed in the past year, however.  Now, "hard" means get really good depth with the body and club and really get the legs exploding on the downswing.  I don't feel like my effort changes much with either.  Overswinging is, however, a problem for me with the longer clubs.  It affects my sequencing more than it does my swing speed.  I start down too (*edit to->too) quickly when I overswing.  Then I lose control of the clubface.  I don't know why this happens, but I think it's psychological.  I still get after it with the irons, but I just don't get after it straight from the top like I do with driver.  Maybe it's because I practice all my swing changes with a 7-iron like Harvey Pennick recommends?  Might need to reconsider that philosophy now that I think about it...

And 9000 is just being ridiculous

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

And.......

I swing harder the longer the club gets. They seem to work better that way. If I can't "go after" a driver, then it's not a driver hole.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by bunkerputt

All over 300 for anyone 13-15 on the internet.

I'm 15 ! And i hit my driver about 290-300 (260-270 carry)

I attempt to get round with:

SL290 Driver, 9*, 43S Shaft

FL Fairway, 15*, 43S Shaft

Burner Superfast 2.0 Hybrid, 18*, Reg. Shaft

CG16 Tour Black Pearl Irons, FST KBS Tour Reg+ Shafts

CG16 Black Pearl 48-8* Wedge

CG15 52-10*, 58-10*, 60-8* Wedges

Method 001 Putter

Originally Posted by sean_miller

I swing harder the longer the club gets. They seem to work better that way. If I can't "go after" a driver, then it's not a driver hole.

I agree.  There are four holes here where I dare pull out the driver, and two of them are iffy.....

Originally Posted by Aleks7243

I'm 15 ! And i hit my driver about 290-300 (260-270 carry)

260 -270 carry is great.  At my home course there is not really a place where you can get that much roll.  The ground is not that hard.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Former Mini Tour player turned husband, father that doesnt get to practice or play....HA

Driver--Superfast TP 8.5*--Carry is 270

3 Wood--RBZ 15*--Carry 250

5 Wood--R11S 19*--Carry 235

RBZ IRONS 4-AW KBS Tour Shafts

4-220 carry

5-205 carry

6-195 carry

7-180 carry

8-165 carry

9-150 carry

PW-135 carry

AW-120 carry

RAC ZTP WEDGES

55*-110 Carry

60*-100 Carry

Honestly, I never ever hit a full swing unless its a driver....I shape the ball quite a bit, but flight the ball more than anything....

Laugh all you want at the irons...I have played forged blades for as long as I can remember, and can still play them. I have a set of 670s that I still love, but these things are point and shoot....Its silly how big of a difference these clubs are...Especially for my 1 round every 3 week game....

I have posted another thread about the challenge I have hitting my sand wedge full.  I would suspect it relates to my approach angle in to the ball, because I put a ton of spin on my short irons.  I hit a stock GW (52) 110 in the air, but can only comfortably hit SW 95 yds, and even that with a ton of spin (so I tend to spin right off of the green on front pins).  It's aggravating, but I'm sure it's the indian and not the arrow.

As for your humongousness, just take it for what it is:  a blessing.  Judging by many of the posters on this thread, you're about average.

Originally Posted by tazrestling27

I am just curious to such big differences between the wedges with everyone that hit their drives  270 yds plus. It ranges for a 60 degree 60 yds to 110 yds. How can this be? I know some people are de lofting their clubs with their hands forward that can gain distance and possibly flipping the wrist under the  ball instead of compressing it so that could make it shorter, but any other suggestions? I go to simulators and they tell me I hit 300+ every drive, however on the course, I carry about 265-270 yds. It depends how much roll I get or if I am in the fairway to total distance. I hit my 60 on a full hard swing 100 yds. Just a normal swing 95 yds. I mean I see a golf coach and he says I am one of the longest hitter he sees however on here it looks like everyone here hits farther than me.

All my distances are carry, depends if I hit it thin or I get enough height to stop it

Driver carry- 265-270

3 hybrid- 230

4 iron- 215

5 iron- 200

6 iron- 185-190

7 iron- 170-175

8 iron- 160

9 iron- 150

pw- 140

52- 125-130

56- 110-115

60- 95-100

Ping i15 9.0 (UST Mamiya S)

Cobra X-Speed 4+ Wood (Aldila S)

Cobra Baffler 3-Hybrid (19)

Mizuno JPX-825 Pro (4-GW) KBS Tour S

Cobra Rusty 55 SW

Cobra Rusty 59 LW

Never Compromise Gambler (34")

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Quote:

Originally Posted by inthecup

260 -270 carry is great.

It's better than great.

http://www.berkeleyhallclub.com/pdfs/golftip.pdf

Just shows how little distance actually matters, lol

Method 001 Putter

Originally Posted by inthecup

260 -270 carry is great.  At my home course there is not really a place where you can get that much roll.  The ground is not that hard.

Aha, the ground at mine is pretty firm although the greens are too, makes for some interesting iron shots/short game to stop the ball bouncing over the back

Method 001 Putter

Originally Posted by Mr3Wiggle

I'm with you.  I swing aggressively with the driver.  To me that's what it's there for...distance!  Everything else though I try to just put it in play.  Consequently I have a sizeable yardage gap between my 3 wood and driver.

I am the same (very aggressive with the driver). I have been swinging so hard with the driver the last two seasons, the face of my Tour Burner TP is showing signs of fatigue, and it's days are numbered.  I plan on trying to control my swing speed as I have done with my irons already, and tone it down a bit.  Hopefully everything goes as planned, as I have finally found a SuperTri I like, and don't want to wreck it.

face.jpg

Note: This thread is 967 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!