IGNORED

Average Distances - How Far Do You Hit Each Club? (And Don't Lie!)

Note: This thread is 963 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Jimdangles

So i played yesterday and didnt hit my driver very often but I noted on 2 holes the distance. I hit one 265 into the wind and 292 with the wind. Used my 3 wood on every other hole and I think i just have it dialed in. 265 yards or so with a perfect little draw

Sounds the same for me.  The last two tournaments I've played in I only hit my driver a total of 4 times.  I'm much more comfortable off the tee with the 3 wood which is consistently going about 260 or so.  The tees I'm playing from, that's plenty to leave me a mid-to-short iron into most greens.  Driver swing still feels somewhat awkward for me.  The longer shaft and oversized clubhead make me hate it.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Sounds the same for me.  The last two tournaments I've played in I only hit my driver a total of 4 times.  I'm much more comfortable off the tee with the 3 wood which is consistently going about 260 or so.  The tees I'm playing from, that's plenty to leave me a mid-to-short iron into most greens.  Driver swing still feels somewhat awkward for me.  The longer shaft and oversized clubhead make me hate it.

Brandon

haha ya same with the driver but at the same time it gives me more confidence. Me and the 3 wood have had a real rough love hate. I can only hit 2 shots with it. A good draw or a real nasty slice off the deck. that mean slice I actually use all the time. I have used it from behind trees and aim 75 yards left of the green and land in the fairway. It only goes about 200 though. But even last week I think I played a big hard course and never pulled it out of the bag. something happened like last week at the range and it just clicked.

Bag: Ogio Ozone XX

Driver: :titleist: 910 D2 (Project X 7A3)

3 Wood: :titleist: 910F ;(Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 'ahina 82)

Hybrid: :titleist: 909H 19* (Diamana Blue)

Irons: :titleist: 755 3-P (Tri Spec Stiff Flex Steel)

Wedges: :titleist: (Vokey 52* 56* 60*)

Putter: Ping Karsten Anser 2

Balls: :titleist: Nxt tour/ Prov1x

The average golfer is probably something like a 55 year old guy. If your a 20 something guy, you should be able to generate more power than they do.

Originally Posted by bunkerputt

200 is a great drive for a beginner.  In fact, I think it's somewhere around the national male average.  The average person isn't a beginner, hence, great drive.

200 is a great drive for a beginner.  In fact, I think it's somewhere around the national male average.  The average person isn't a beginner, hence, great drive.

Good to hear! Stuff like this makes me want to forget about the GMAT and go out to the range!!

Originally Posted by x129

The average golfer is probably something like a 55 year old guy. If your a 20 something guy, you should be able to generate more power than they do.

Reality check taken!

On that, on the range, I find it easier to hit the ball with the driver than with the 3w. Pretty sure it has something to do with the unusually high range tee. But I do hear everywhere that beginners have no business using a driver.

Some of that driver being hard to hit is dated. The modern driver is not the same as the one from 20 years ago. This is doubly true if you play a sub 45" shaft. I haven't seen your swing or know anything about you but I would guess your issue is not swing speed but more that you don't hit the sweetspot very often and when you do the club is rarely square. I know I used to average 200 when I started out. Every 250 yard drive was balanced out by a 150 yard dribbler, skyball or the old 150 straight, 75 to the right shot.

Originally Posted by Kapanda

Reality check taken!

On that, on the range, I find it easier to hit the ball with the driver than with the 3w. Pretty sure it has something to do with the unusually high range tee. But I do hear everywhere that beginners have no business using a driver.

Some of that driver being hard to hit is dated. The modern driver is not the same as the one from 20 years ago. This is doubly true if you play a sub 45" shaft. I haven't seen your swing or know anything about you but I would guess your issue is not swing speed but more that you don't hit the sweetspot very often and when you do the club is rarely square. I know I used to average 200 when I started out. Every 250 yard drive was balanced out by a 150 yard dribbler, skyball or the old 150 straight, 75 to the right shot.

Yep, that's me.

Except, I haven't hit a 250 yet, lol.

Just over 200 is my current limit.

Man your yardage dead on mine. One question real quick if you do not mind? I have had about 1 drive every 3 rounds or so, carry about 280-300 yards. But I hit bout 240-250 most of the time. Do you every "get-a-hold" of one or is your yardage more contestant? Thanks for your time.

Originally Posted by grazhopper

Man your yardage dead on mine. One question real quick if you do not mind? I have had about 1 drive every 3 rounds or so, carry about 280-300 yards. But I hit bout 240-250 most of the time. Do you every "get-a-hold" of one or is your yardage more contestant? Thanks for your time.

I think "getting a hold of one" is mostly finding the center of the club face and putting a little draw on it.  I like this thread for some odd reason.  Lots of big hitters here.

The easier I swing the farther is goes.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Nope.  That' the feeling, but it's wrong.

Judy Thompson, spokeswoman for the National Golf Foundation, says, "There is the perception out there that golf is for older retired people. Seniors (50+) play more and spend more, but they don't comprise the largest segment of golfers. The largest group are people in their thirties; 25 percent of golfers are in their thirties, and 22 percent are 18-29. This means that better than 50 percent of all golfers are under 40."  Thompson says the average beginning age is in the twenties and the average player is 39 and has been for quite a while. Only 13.5 percent of golfers are retired.

Let's put it another way.  The average male golfer swings the club between 82 and 90 mph.  What kind of carry do you feel that generates?

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

Judy Thompson, spokeswoman for the National Golf Foundation, says, "There is the perception out there that golf is for older retired people. Seniors (50+) play more and spend more, but they don't comprise the largest segment of golfers. The largest group are people in their thirties; 25 percent of golfers are in their thirties, and 22 percent are 18-29. This means that better than 50 percent of all golfers are under 40."  Thompson says the average beginning age is in the twenties and the average player is 39 and has been for quite a while. Only 13.5 percent of golfers are retired.

Let's put it another way.  The average male golfer swings the club between 82 and 90 mph.  What kind of carry do you feel that generates?

I feel like they are trying to sell something with these statistics and their wording. 47 percent of golfers and are under 40. over half the people are over 40. Idk whats considered old now adays but I'd be willing to bet very few 40 year olds have strength and speed of someone a little younger. Not that im disagreeing with the sentimant. But Id be willing to bet that statistic is most of the mentioned over 40 group and maybe golfers who dont play or haven't played other sports in a while.

Bag: Ogio Ozone XX

Driver: :titleist: 910 D2 (Project X 7A3)

3 Wood: :titleist: 910F ;(Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 'ahina 82)

Hybrid: :titleist: 909H 19* (Diamana Blue)

Irons: :titleist: 755 3-P (Tri Spec Stiff Flex Steel)

Wedges: :titleist: (Vokey 52* 56* 60*)

Putter: Ping Karsten Anser 2

Balls: :titleist: Nxt tour/ Prov1x

Driver: 270-280 Carry

3W: 245-255 Carry

3 Iron: 225

4 Iron: 210

5 Iron: 200

6 Iron: 185

7 Iron: 170

8 Iron: 160

9 Iron: 145

PW: 135

GW: 120

SW: 105

LW: 90

These are a recent development.  I was 10-15 yards shorter 2-3 months ago.

Driver:     Cleveland Launcher DST 9.0 Degree, UST Proforce V2 67 X-Stiff
Wood:     Cleveland Launcher (2009) 15 Degrees, Stock shaft Stiff
Hybrid:    Adams Idea A2 20 Degree, stock shaft stiff
Irons:       Cleveland CG Red , 3-PW, DSG300 Stiff
Wedges:  Titleist Vokey SM4 54 and 60 degrees
Putter:     Odyssey White Hot Tour #5 34.5 inches
Balls:      Titleist Pro V1X, Srixon Z-Star XV

o.k. this is not a lie  I am a 12 year old boy  who is really good at golf.With my new cobra ZL driver I can hit just over 300 yards i know this because at golf town i tested into there golf simulator and hit 312 yards.

o.k. this is not a lie  I am a 12 year old boy  who is really good at golf.With my new cobra ZL driver I can hit just over 300 yards i know this because at golf town i tested into there golf simulator and hit 312 yards.

Good for you, but those simulators may not be accurate. The only way to check how far you hit it is by using a range finder, laser or proper radar (like Trackman). I'm not saying you don't hit it as far as the longest on the PGA Tour, but I wouldn't put too much trust into those simulators. If you do measure out on the course, don't use distance markers, they can be innacurate. Remember to take roll, wind, elevation, slope etc. into account.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Read your quote."The people that play the most golf are seniors."  When golf digest measures drives on the course and says the average drive is 200 yards, it doesn't matter that half the golfers on the planet are 38. It matters that 75% of the rounds being measured are hit by 55 year old guys.  The point of all this is that looking at the average golfer is useless.  You are not him. You probably play 2x more, practice 5x more, and may even be willing to get the right equipment. Learn to hit he ball as far and as straight as you can and build your game around that.

Originally Posted by tillylover

You should create your own thread about this.

What does "Tillylover" refer to?  Jennifer Tilly?

Brandon

It matters that 75% of the rounds being measured are hit by 55 year old guys.  The point of all this is that looking at the average golfer is useless.  You are not him. You probably play 2x more, practice 5x more, and may even be willing to get the right equipment.

These statements are likely irreconcilable save for some extreme scenarios.  If 75% of rounds (well more than "most") are played by 55 year olds, but younger golfers play 2x more than the average golfer, there would have to be a hugely disproportionate % of the 55 year old population playing golf compared to the under 55 year old (or under 45?) population.

Brandon

I have no clue where you came up with younger golfers playing 2x more than average. I also have no clue what you mean by younger golfers.  And all these stats depend on what you call a golfer. If you play 1 time a  year are you a golfer? Change your assumptions and you can change your results.

These statements are likely irreconcilable save for some extreme scenarios.  If 75% of rounds (well more than "most") are played by 55 year olds, but younger golfers play 2x more than the average golfer, there would have to be a hugely disproportionate % of the 55 year old population playing golf compared to the under 55 year old (or under 45?) population.

Brandon

Brandon

These are the sort of "evaluate a conclusion" questions I will get this Saturday on my GMAT.

Only thing stopping me from pulling my hair is that I have a buzz cut...

Anyway, carry on.

Note: This thread is 963 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!