IGNORED

Average Distances - How Far Do You Hit Each Club? (And Don't Lie!)

Note: This thread is 963 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Howdy!

+3/4" 2deg Upright on irons

Driver - 270 on flat ground no wind (which is really rare where I play)

3W - 245-255

3i - 230

4i - 215-220

5i - 200-205

6i - 185-190

7i - 170-175

8i - 155-160

9i - 140-145

W - 125-135

54 - 105-120

60 - <100

I alternate between a few different sets, but this is an average.  My Burner's and Ping I5's are a little longer and my Titleist 710 MB's are a little shorter.

No, the one called "Proving that I can hit a PW 170"

Driver: :adams: Speedline F11 9.5* loft 3 Wood: :adams: Speedline F12 15* Hybrid: :adams: Idea Super Hybrid 17* - Used in place of my 5 wood Hybrid: :adams: Idea A1 i-wood 21* Irons: :adams: Idea A1 5-PW Wedges: :adams: Watson 52*, 56*, 60* Wedges Putter: :tmade: Rossa Lambeau, Black

No, the one called "Proving that I can hit a PW 170"

PW 170? How high would that go? 200 yards? You could land a green on top of a 55 story building.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

No that doesn't go that high, I've been told I trap/de loft the ball like crazy at Impact hence hit it like a jackass!

You must have some serious lag in your shot to deloft the wedges and scoring irons like that. Usually up to the 8 iron I hit almost as high as forward. My PW pops up at 45 degrees or so. I should try to deloft it to see how far it can go. My usual is only 100 to 110 yards with this club, for a full swing. I rarely need to hit it this far, though. I usually use it when I miss the green from the second shot.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I'd love to go to the driving range with a lot of the posters here with a range finder. Then they'd see what distances they're actually hitting.

I'm guessing it'd be like their girlfriends holding a ruler finding out what 12" really is.........

I'd love to go to the driving range with a lot of the posters here with a range finder. Then they'd see what distances they're actually hitting. I'm guessing it'd be like their girlfriends holding a ruler finding out what 12" really is.........  :roll:

One of my local ranges has flags constantly moving around because they move them as they move us up on the grass. However, they sometimes forget to move them back, and we end up pitching half swings 120 yards ;-) The only sure thing is the fence in the back of the ranges. I checked them out with a borrowed rangefinder, they seem to jive with the given yardages. With a swing speed of 125+ mph, it is possible to deloft a PW 170 yards. The fact is, he appears to be consistent in being able to do it. I presume that you have shanked a PW at least 140 yards before, I know I have and my driver swing speed is >20% slower than his. So, it is physically possible. I did not think with a swing speed of 125, that a standard lofted hit on a PW is possible to 170 yards. Without taking higher order effects, a swing speed of >200mph might get that high.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Originally Posted by Lihu

One of my local ranges has flags constantly moving around because they move them as they move us up on the grass.

However, they sometimes forget to move them back, and we end up pitching half swings 120 yards

The only sure thing is the fence in the back of the ranges. I checked them out with a borrowed rangefinder, they seem to jive with the given yardages.

With a swing speed of 125+ mph, it is possible to deloft a PW 170 yards. The fact is, he appears to be consistent in being able to do it. I presume that you have shanked a PW at least 140 yards before, I know I have and my driver swing speed is >20% slower than his.

So, it is physically possible.

I did not think with a swing speed of 125, that a standard lofted hit on a PW is possible to 170 yards. Without taking higher order effects, a swing speed of >200mph might get that high.

It's not only the 170 yd PW; it's MOST of the posts here. I can't count the number of people claiming 150+ yd PW, 200 yd 6i, 220 yd 5i, 300+ yd drives, etc......and these are their averages? What in the hell are these guys hitting from 100 yds in? Oh, that's right.........they just drive those greens instead of messing with those pesky 50-100 yd shots.

Put another way; so all these guys are really hitting it further than most of the Pros yet are mostly 12+ handicaps? Really?

I presume that you have shanked a PW at least 140 yards before, I know I have and my driver swing speed is >20% slower than his.

I did not think with a swing speed of 125, that a standard lofted hit on a PW is possible to 170 yards. Without taking higher order effects, a swing speed of >200mph might get that high.

LOL.  I would consider myself a fairly long hitter, I'm taller than most, I have longer clubs than most, and have a 45.5* PW so fairly strong-ish, yet on a perfect swing I could probably hit my PW 140.  On a shank?  I would guess 50 yards at best.

And, remember, if you are trying to work out the math ... nobody swings a PW 125 mph.  If his driver SS is 125, then his PW SS is probably 95.  (Basing that solely on the ratio of the club lengths)

Either way, I agree with Brandon ... this would be a fun dedicated thread with pics and videos and the like.

Originally Posted by Pablo68

Quote:

One of my local ranges has flags constantly moving around because they move them as they move us up on the grass.

However, they sometimes forget to move them back, and we end up pitching half swings 120 yards

The only sure thing is the fence in the back of the ranges. I checked them out with a borrowed rangefinder, they seem to jive with the given yardages.

With a swing speed of 125+ mph, it is possible to deloft a PW 170 yards. The fact is, he appears to be consistent in being able to do it. I presume that you have shanked a PW at least 140 yards before, I know I have and my driver swing speed is >20% slower than his.

So, it is physically possible.

It's not only the 170 yd PW; it's MOST of the posts here. I can't count the number of people claiming 150+ yd PW, 200 yd 6i, 220 yd 5i, 300+ yd drives, etc......and these are their averages? What in the hell are these guys hitting from 100 yds in? Oh, that's right.........they just drive those greens instead of messing with those pesky 50-100 yd shots.

Put another way; so all these guys are really hitting it further than most of the Pros yet are mostly 12+ handicaps? Really?

I can. It's a pretty small number.

This guy's numbers seem off the charts, but in general it's the number of people claiming they never 3-putt and always hit their 100 yard approaches within 10 feet that I find laughable. I've played with a few pretty long hitters in the past few years, but not once have I seen someone hit all 18 GIR or hit every short iron within 10 feet. Sandtrap regulars apparently do it all the time.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Quote:

I presume that you have shanked a PW at least 140 yards before, I know I have and my driver swing speed is >20% slower than his.

LOL.  I would consider myself a fairly long hitter, I'm taller than most, I have longer clubs than most, and have a 45.5* PW so fairly strong-ish, yet on a perfect swing I could probably hit my PW 140.  On a shank?  I would guess 50 yards at best.

And, remember, if you are trying to work out the math ... nobody swings a PW 125 mph.  If his driver SS is 125, then his PW SS is probably 95.  (Basing that solely on the ratio of the club lengths)

Either way, I agree with Brandon ... this would be a fun dedicated thread with pics and videos and the like.

I'd love to know that a full out PW wouldn't sail any longer than 140 - even from a flyer lie. You must have a very repeatable swing and make very consistent contact every time. Kudos.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

PW 170? How high would that go? 200 yards? You could land a green on top of a 55 story building.

When the pros do it, it doesn't appear to go any higher.  The club is likely de-lofted to accomplish this.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by sean_miller

I'd love to know that a full out PW wouldn't sail any longer than 140 - even from a flyer lie. You must have a very repeatable swing and make very consistent contact every time. Kudos.

Is that a dig directed at me?

I certainly don't always hit my PW 140, just that I believe that to be the absolute max.  (Not taking into account flyers ... still not sure about those.)

You're right, it would require some serious control over the club to do it consistently. However, I don't think he said they were consistent shots to that distance with a PW. Normally, I just don't think of the PW as anything more than something I would use 75 yards and in. If I had a choice to hit a 9 iron for a casual 100 yard green shot, I would prefer that.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

When the pros do it, it doesn't appear to go any higher.  The club is likely de-lofted to accomplish this.

I read that in another thread a few weeks ago, so why do the pros deloft so much? Is it because they get enough spin on the ball even with lower lofts?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 963 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!