IGNORED

Average Distances - How Far Do You Hit Each Club? (And Don't Lie!)

Note: This thread is 967 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It's not only the 170 yd PW; it's MOST of the posts here. I can't count the number of people claiming 150+ yd PW, 200 yd 6i, 220 yd 5i, 300+ yd drives, etc......and these are their averages? What in the hell are these guys hitting from 100 yds in? Oh, that's right.........they just drive those greens instead of messing with those pesky 50-100 yd shots. Put another way; so all these guys are really hitting it further than most of the Pros yet are mostly 12+ handicaps? Really?

I guess the issue is if these folks actually hit that far. On my neighborhood golf course, I have seen and also talked to many golfers with 5 to 15 type handicaps who hit really far. There are just so many people in So. Cal. that hit it really far. Now, I grant you, there might be some folks who exaggerate the distances, but I see enough people who can hit to believe at least some of the posts. Plus the pro at the neighborhood course hits 334 yards (I have not verified this number), but a clubfitter that goes there probably had the trackman out there to verify. So, you are probably correct in doubting many of the numbers, especially when they don't make a lot of sense, but there are plenty of people who really hit far and don't score that well. Remember, Mike Austin had a lousy handicap for a pro, but hit extremely far.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

D - 480
3w- 450
4i- 400

5i- 380
6i- 360
7i- 340
8i- 320
9i- 300
pw- 280
gap- 260
sw- 240
lw- 220
pt- 0-120

Driver: :adams: Speedline F11 9.5* loft 3 Wood: :adams: Speedline F12 15* Hybrid: :adams: Idea Super Hybrid 17* - Used in place of my 5 wood Hybrid: :adams: Idea A1 i-wood 21* Irons: :adams: Idea A1 5-PW Wedges: :adams: Watson 52*, 56*, 60* Wedges Putter: :tmade: Rossa Lambeau, Black

Driver 240-275+ yards depending (very inconsistant driving). 19 degree hybrid 190-200, 4 iron 180 ish, 7 iron 150-160 ish, 9 iron 120-130, pw 110-115, gw 100 and under. "When making good contact on my strikes" Great topic by the way.

I think the probability of an anonymous poster being completely honest is somewhere around 75%... We all know that there will be no need to prove it, so embellishments will be made.

I personally haven't a clue how far I hit every club with reliability. I have an idea, but just getting into verifying by measurement through GPS... so i'll know soon enough.

Driver: :adams: Speedline F11 9.5* loft 3 Wood: :adams: Speedline F12 15* Hybrid: :adams: Idea Super Hybrid 17* - Used in place of my 5 wood Hybrid: :adams: Idea A1 i-wood 21* Irons: :adams: Idea A1 5-PW Wedges: :adams: Watson 52*, 56*, 60* Wedges Putter: :tmade: Rossa Lambeau, Black

[quote name="sean_miller" url="/t/18426/average-distances-how-far-do-you-hit-each-club-and-dont-lie/702#post_769970"] I'd love to know that a full out PW wouldn't sail any longer than 140 - even from a flyer lie. You must have a very repeatable swing and make very consistent contact every time. Kudos.

You're right, it would require some serious control over the club to do it consistently. However, I don't think he said they were consistent shots to that distance with a PW. Normally, I just don't think of the PW as anything more than something I would use 75 yards and in. If I had a choice to hit a 9 iron for a casual 100 yard green shot, I would prefer that.[/quote] Self-deprecating comment actually. I struggle with PW distance. sw and 9-iron distance is solid.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I for one, am a terrible golfer!  I will admit it,  but I love the game and working on it as much as I can.  I have a high handicap and my yardages seem  to high, but mostly that has to do improper mechanics.   But even like they say the blind chipmunk finds an acorn every once in a while.  Just recently at a local course on a 287 yard par 4, I got my first hole in one!  I was using my 42.5:" apollo steel shaft 3wood and apparently carried it over the green a few yards(verifed at 290 yards on google earth) and it had enough backspin to roll back a few yards right into the hole, this was watched by the people who just finished up the hole and were waiting to tee of on the next one.  Whats the point of this other than the fact its fun to say I got a hole in one, , is that again high handicap doesn't relate to distance, in fact I fully believe to lower my scores, I need to shorten my stroke, slow down my swing, change my grip, and etc. which will lead to no more line drive 170 yard PW, and hopefully instead a 125 nice smoothe PW right onto the green for nothing more than a par.

Self-deprecating comment actually. I struggle with PW distance. sw and 9-iron distance is solid.

True enough. These clubs are hard to hit long distances on purpose. Hopefully, I can start working on a better handicap this coming season as it cools down to a nice temperature. I will be trying out my new stack and tilt lik swing, and not over swinging.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Originally Posted by HackerUpNorth

I for one, am a terrible golfer!  I will admit it,  but I love the game and working on it as much as I can.  I have a high handicap and my yardages seem  to high, but mostly that has to do improper mechanics.   But even like they say the blind chipmunk finds an acorn every once in a while.  Just recently at a local course on a 287 yard par 4, I got my first hole in one!  I was using my 42.5:" apollo steel shaft 3wood and apparently carried it over the green a few yards(verifed at 290 yards on google earth) and it had enough backspin to roll back a few yards right into the hole, this was watched by the people who just finished up the hole and were waiting to tee of on the next one.  Whats the point of this other than the fact its fun to say I got a hole in one,, is that again high handicap doesn't relate to distance, in fact I fully believe to lower my scores, I need to shorten my stroke, slow down my swing, change my grip, and etc. which will lead to no more line drive 170 yard PW, and hopefully instead a 125 nice smoothe PW right onto the green for nothing more than a par.

So you hit line drive PW shots (170 yds) but your driver has enough backspin that it spins back on greens? (290 yds on the fly too btw?).

lulz........just lulz.

Originally Posted by Pablo68

So you hit line drive PW shots (170 yds) but your driver has enough backspin that it spins back on greens? (290 yds on the fly too btw?).

lulz........just lulz.

Don't be ridiculous!  He didn't say he could back up a driver.  OMG!!  (He only said he could back up a 3 wood)

I for one, am a terrible golfer!  I will admit it,  but I love the game and working on it as much as I can.  I have a high handicap and my yardages seem  to high, but mostly that has to do improper mechanics.   But even like they say the blind chipmunk finds an acorn every once in a while.  Just recently at a local course on a 287 yard par 4, I got my first hole in one!  I was using my 42.5:" apollo steel shaft 3wood and apparently carried it over the green a few yards(verifed at 290 yards on google earth) and it had enough backspin to roll back a few yards right into the hole, this was watched by the people who just finished up the hole and were waiting to tee of on the next one.  Whats the point of this other than the fact its fun to say I got a hole in one,, is that again high handicap doesn't relate to distance, in fact I fully believe to lower my scores, I need to shorten my stroke, slow down my swing, change my grip, and etc. which will lead to no more line drive 170 yard PW, and hopefully instead a 125 nice smoothe PW right onto the green for nothing more than a par.

Maybe you drove into them so they put it in the hole while you were in transit, then made up a ridiculous story you could repeat on internet golf forums, and they're reading it right now now laughing like crazy.

• Upvote 1

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

What you guys can't be happy for a high handicapper who got lucky?   I tend to hit towering high 5 wood thru driver, probably because I tee it up slightly too high, and playing it off the ground with my PW yes I hit low trajectory shots because I"m delofting/trapping the ball and not getting underneath them fully.  Now to be fair backspin probably wasn't the right word, there was a little rise a few yards past the green and hit the slope perfectly to cause the ball to roll backwards.  And yes 290 carry with a 3 wood, not that ridiculous when the fact I swing the 3 wood around 120 mph, and no its not a great swing, but hey it obviously got lucky that time around.

What you guys can't be happy for a high handicapper who got lucky?   I tend to hit towering high 5 wood thru driver, probably because I tee it up slightly too high, and playing it off the ground with my PW yes I hit low trajectory shots because I"m delofting/trapping the ball and not getting underneath them fully.  Now to be fair backspin probably wasn't the right word, there was a little rise a few yards past the green and hit the slope perfectly to cause the ball to roll backwards.  And yes 290 carry with a 3 wood, not that ridiculous when the fact I swing the 3 wood around 120 mph, and no its not a great swing, but hey it obviously got lucky that time around.

It's not that we aren't happy for you, it's just hard to believe.  I don't know about everybody else on here, but I have never (repeat, never) seen anybody hit clubs (specifically your irons) the distances you claim.  Yes, there are times when PGA players will hit it that far, but not even they would average anything close to what you claim.  I would like to believe you, but I can't until I see it.

You really should take some video (if you don't already have it) and start a "myswing" thread.

I would dare to say you have seen people hit their driver thru 6 or even 7 iron as far easy?  Right?  If I understand its just the 8i-Wedges?  Believe me when I see it confuses anybody who sees it also, when I say the ball has a low flight I mean it really does make my PW look like the flight of a 6 iron, but I understand the skepticism, and would be happy to share the videos, and readily take the advice/criticism for my swing, as I said before I much rather be confident in taking a full swing with a PW and having a nice high/soft ball flight onto to the green at about 125 yards or so, then seeing it rocket off the face and not knowing for sure how much roll I'm going to get.

Hello

I'm 27 years old, 6'3" 235lbs

Driver 280-320 (Swing Speed 125+)

3 Wood 280-290

5 Wood 265-275

3Hybrid 260

4Hybrid 250

5Hybrid 240

6 Iron 220

7 Iron 205

8Iron 195

9Iron 185

PW 170

SW 145

LW 110

I would dare to say you have seen people hit their driver thru 6 or even 7 iron as far easy?  Right?  If I understand its just the 8i-Wedges?  Believe me when I see it confuses anybody who sees it also, when I say the ball has a low flight I mean it really does make my PW look like the flight of a 6 iron, but I understand the skepticism, and would be happy to share the videos, and readily take the advice/criticism for my swing, as I said before I much rather be confident in taking a full swing with a PW and having a nice high/soft ball flight onto to the green at about 125 yards or so, then seeing it rocket off the face and not knowing for sure how much roll I'm going to get.

No, can't say I've ever seen anybody hit a 220 yd 6-iron either.  The only numbers that I even comprehend as being close to a tour pro's are your driver and 3-wood.

Curious ... with the irons, have you ever tried to just swing easy and see what happens?

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Quote:

Hello

I'm 27 years old, 6'3" 235lbs

Driver 280-320 (Swing Speed 125+)

3 Wood 280-290

5 Wood 265-275

3Hybrid 260

4Hybrid 250

5Hybrid 240

6 Iron 220

7 Iron 205

8Iron 195

9Iron 185

PW 170

SW 145

LW 110

Quote:

No, can't say I've ever seen anybody hit a 220 yd 6-iron either.  The only numbers that I even comprehend as being close to a tour pro's are your driver and 3-wood.

Curious ... with the irons, have you ever tried to just swing easy and see what happens?

A WITB would be nice too.

distance close to a tour pros, but thats a big amateur swinging out of his shoes way too often, and not controlling the ball enough.  I have tried slowing down, and have taken lessons in the past, and was told I have such a fast tempo, and strong grip on the clubs when I try and "slow down" I tend to hook the crap out of the ball.  I'm working on placement of the ball, less of I need to kill this ball grip, and no need to bring the club back to almost parallel.  I need to fix these flaws obviously, and several others.  I think(could be wrong) its a matter of staying planted, and smooth and not necessarily trying to slow down, I could be wrong but if I"m smoother that should lift the ball in the air more and create a softer landing shot, that doesn't go out as far, right?

distance close to a tour pros, but thats a big amateur swinging out of his shoes way too often, and not controlling the ball enough.  I have tried slowing down, and have taken lessons in the past, and was told I have such a fast tempo, and strong grip on the clubs when I try and "slow down" I tend to hook the crap out of the ball.  I'm working on placement of the ball, less of I need to kill this ball grip, and no need to bring the club back to almost parallel.  I need to fix these flaws obviously, and several others.  I think(could be wrong) its a matter of staying planted, and smooth and not necessarily trying to slow down, I could be wrong but if I"m smoother that should lift the ball in the air more and create a softer landing shot, that doesn't go out as far, right?

Ummm, I think there are too many other variables to answer that.  In my case, if I swing smoother, I usually hit the ball the furthest.  When I try to come out of my shoes, all I am really doing is swinging harder for longer, wasting energy, and screwing up my timing ... when all that matters is the point of impact.  But, every once in awhile a little devil pops up on my shoulder right at the top of my backswing and, for no apparent reason, convinces me to try and muscle it.  The result is always (repeat, ALWAYS) bad.

P.S.  From your avatar, it really does look like you are swinging out of your shoes.  I'll give you that.  But 170 PW?  Still am going to have to see that to believe it.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Quote:

Ummm, I think there are too many other variables to answer that.  In my case, if I swing smoother, I usually hit the ball the furthest.  When I try to come out of my shoes, all I am really doing is swinging harder for longer, wasting energy, and screwing up my timing ... when all that matters is the point of impact.  But, every once in awhile a little devil pops up on my shoulder right at the top of my backswing and, for no apparent reason, convinces me to try and muscle it.  The result is always (repeat, ALWAYS) bad.

P.S.  From your avatar, it really does look like you are swinging out of your shoes.  I'll give you that.  But 170 PW?  Still am going to have to see that to believe it.

Maybe it's the new TaylorMade Burner 2.1  38 degree PW?

Note: This thread is 967 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!