IGNORED

Average Distances - How Far Do You Hit Each Club? (And Don't Lie!)

Note: This thread is 963 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by SamGray

Im also 15 years old. 145 pounds and 5'7

Thank goodness you added that in there!

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Driver: 270-285 (includes roll out)

3 Wood: 230-240 (includes roll out)

Hybrid 19*: 210-220 (includes roll out)

4i: 185-190 (includes roll out)

5i: 175-180 (mostly carry)

6i: 165-170 (mostly carry)

7i: 155-160 (mostly carry)

8i: 145-150 (all carry)

9i: 135-140 (all carry)

PW: 120 (all carry)

GW: 100 (all carry)

SW: 80 (all carry)

LW: 60 (all carry)

Although my official handicap is 13 at the moment, I am consistently shooting closer to a 10 in the last few months although haven't been able to play in many competitions so far this season. I naturally hit a high flight

Driver - Supertri R9 S Flex, 9.5* (weight forwards, slight draw bias)

Woods and Hybrids - Taylormade Superfast Burner

Irons - Taylormade Burners 1.0, steel regular

Ball - Titleist NXT (low spin)

Originally Posted by Vector Zero

Driver: 270-285 (includes roll out)

3 Wood: 230-240 (includes roll out)

Hybrid 19*: 210-220 (includes roll out)

4i: 185-190 (includes roll out)

5i: 175-180 (mostly carry)

6i: 165-170 (mostly carry)

7i: 155-160 (mostly carry)

8i: 145-150 (all carry)

9i: 135-140 (all carry)

PW: 120 (all carry)

GW: 100 (all carry)

SW: 80 (all carry)

LW: 60 (all carry)

Although my official handicap is 13 at the moment, I am consistently shooting closer to a 10 in the last few months although haven't been able to play in many competitions so far this season. I naturally hit a high flight

Driver - Supertri R9 S Flex, 9.5* (weight forwards, slight draw bias)

Woods and Hybrids - Taylormade Superfast Burner

Irons - Taylormade Burners 1.0, steel regular

Ball - Titleist NXT (low spin)

What do you do for shots in the 195-205 range, assuming no wind?  I have a similar gap but it's between my 3i and 3w from like 210-225, and I always feel lost at that distance.

You lost me at "don't lie"

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by bplewis24

What do you do for shots in the 195-205 range, assuming no wind?  I have a similar gap but it's between my 3i and 3w from like 210-225, and I always feel lost at that distance.

That shot is a pain I agree. Generally that comes up once in a round at my local club which has a 470yd short par 5 and I tend to go with a slightly choked down hybrid. I hit a high flight naturally and the hybrid tends to stop faster than the 4 iron so it's a no brainer for me.

If it's really windy I'll probably go for the 4 iron and punch it low for a lay-up.

I've considered plugging the gap with a 21* hybrid but having better resolution in the wedges is far more important to me generally.

Originally Posted by Putt-Putt

driver: 220

3 wood: 170

5 wood: 150

3i:never use it

4i:120

5i:130

6i:130

7i:140(grandpa told me to use my 7 a lot, can you tell)

8i:120

9i:100

Pw:70

Lw:60

WTF? lol

7 iron 10 yards less than your 5 wood, and 20 yards further than your 4 iron.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Sounds like they are probably true averages, including duffs and what-not.

Sounds like they are probably true averages, including duffs and what-not.

Oh God...If I do REAL averages...it's not gonna be pretty. I'm assuming the question calls for average on an acceptable shot. Haha

Ryan M

Originally Posted by Slice of Life

I'm assuming the question calls for average on an acceptable shot. Haha

Yeah, I think that's how most people read it, and it seems reasonable to do so.

Originally Posted by Hacker James

ha ha, yah that's pretty common I imagine. Statistics show that for the past 100 years, only 20% of all golfers ever break 100 and only 5% of those break 90.  Obviously, accuracy usually trumps distance. anyway just for the heck of it, I will play the "show and tell"...

Driver   220-240

3W  185-200

4H 175-180

3I 180

4I 170

5I 165

6I 150

7I 140

8i 135

9I 110

PW 100

GW 90

SW ??

LW

Misc:  1 iron  210   Olimar 21 deg 160

Based upon your numbers I think you are saying that only 1% of all golfers are <=18HP?

Also, I thought something like 0.33% are scratch, so 0.66% are the rest of us?

This number seems a little tilted. I think the average person holding a handicap has a HP of 14.6 and that scratch golfers are really rare. When I peruse this site, there are so few scratch golfers. Of those that are in that class of golfer, golfers like BuckEyeNut and Bump-N-MI are the only ones that are probably established as a scratch golfers. They are pretty rare, and certainly not 1 in 3.

I think there's a lot more to golf than distance, and most of the posters probably can hit as far as they say. I see it all the time (MySwingEvolution played behind us the other week, and he does hit pretty far [not always in the fairway]).

On top of that, what is not included is how many shots they can hit in a row that distance, plus the accuracy of those hits. A pro could just hit ball after ball for hours like that.

It is not unbelievable to me how far they hit.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Originally Posted by Lihu

...... They are pretty rare, and certainly not 1 in 3.

Not sure you understand the concept of "percentage".    0.33% would be 3 people out of a 1000, not 1 in 3

Originally Posted by Clambake

Not sure you understand the concept of "percentage".    0.33% would be 3 people out of a 1000, not 1 in 3

Sorry, I did not clarify enough. Sent it accidentally too soon.

The intent of my statement is that it is not that rare for a person to hold an 18HP, 1% seems too small (based upon the statement of 5% of 20% of all golfers).

Separately, I read that about 0.33% of all golfers with a HP are scratch.

This implies somehow that 1 in 3 golfers with a handicap of 18 or better are scratch. Which I do not think is the case, but I don't really know.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Driver = 250+

3W = 225+

3H = 195ish

4H = 185ish

5I = 175

6I = 165

7I = 155

8I = 145

9I = 135

PW = 125

46 Wedge = 115ish

50 Wedge = 90

56 Wedge = 75

Putter = 140

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

You lost me at "don't lie"

I am guessing that you are not the only one.

• Upvote 1

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

They vary from week to week it seems except for a few...

Driver: 250-330

3W: 225-250

2H: 200-220

3I: Don't use much (210 or so the 2-3 times I've hit it well)

4I: 190

5I: 175-180

6I: 165-170

7I: 155-160

8I: 140-150

9I: 135

PW: 125

52: 102 (Random sounding, I know...but seems consistent)

56: 90

60: 80

These are GOOD hits. So, these fall in the 35-40% range. lol

Ryan M

Originally Posted by Slice of Life

They vary from week to week it seems except for a few...

Driver: 250-330

I'm guessing the 250 is when you're using it to lay up on a long par 5?  You may want to consider a gap driver.

• Upvote 1

I'm guessing the 250 is when you're using it to lay up on a long par 5?  You may want to consider a gap driver.

lol

The large range is based on my extremely inconsistent swing. Last week I hit one 330 yards, and followed it up with a 250 yard slice. That's the way my game works. Haha.

Lay up...lol...if I tried to hit my driver off the deck, I would probably either whiff or snap the shaft in half.

Ryan M

Originally Posted by Lihu

Based upon your numbers I think you are saying that only 1% of all golfers are <=18HP?

This number seems a little tilted. I think the average person holding a handicap has a HP of 14.6 and that scratch golfers are really rare. When I peruse this site, there are so few scratch golfers. Of those that are in that class of golfer, golfers like BuckEyeNut and Bump-N-MI are the only ones that are probably established as a scratch golfers. They are pretty rare, and certainly not 1 in 3.

I think there's a lot more to golf than distance, and most of the posters probably can hit as far as they say. I see it all the time (MySwingEvolution played behind us the other week, and he does hit pretty far [not always in the fairway]).

On top of that, what is not included is how many shots they can hit in a row that distance, plus the accuracy of those hits. A pro could just hit ball after ball for hours like that.

It is not unbelievable to me how far they hit.

when I quoted that stat...it was only to point out what has been stated about " average scoring not changing in over a decade" based on several articles I had read that said more or less of the same thing.  Here is only one of a half dozen or so I happened to see : http://www.golfblogger.com/index.php/golf/comments/average_golf_score_remains_at_100/ I am sure if you look, you could also find many that will offer a different stat.  These are not MY numbers. Many factors would weigh in such as including ALL golfers, ones with (and without) established handicaps, weekend duffers, e.t.c.   it is all subjective.  I guess some could find solace in the fact that playing in the 90's is more less better than the OVERALL average. In reality this would be very hard to prove given that there are a lot of golfers like fisherman who tend to "imbellish" their facts.  I think my point was, that not much has changed in spite of equipment and course changes.  Nothing I intend to lose any sleep over and will just keep plugging away to see if I can improve for my own satisfaction.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Note: This thread is 963 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!