IGNORED

Average Distances - How Far Do You Hit Each Club? (And Don't Lie!)

Note: This thread is 969 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by sopel10

some crazy gaps on the irons

this gaps are cause i short my swing more and more with the short irons and i guess that i dont have much shaft lean, i can hit my 8 iron 170 yrds if i draw it and made a full swing but my stock shot is a fade and i almost never full swing a 8 iron.

every week i saw people who cant carry the drive 210 yds or hit a 4 iron and they use shorter irons than me in shorts par 3.

this gaps are cause i short my swing more and more with the short irons and i guess that i dont have much shaft lean, i can hit my 8 iron 170 yrds if i draw it and made a full swing but my stock shot is a fade and i almost never full swing a 8 iron. every week i saw people who cant carry the drive 210 yds or hit a 4 iron and they use shorter irons than me in shorts par 3.

Sounds like u mess around a lot with different swings. I usually try to have the club do the work for me, trying to short a swing for me usually ends up with me flying the green (more controlled compact swing). Reason why others might be hitting shorter irons might also be equipment. You wouldn't believe some of the lofts they put irons these days.

Bettinardi Golf Kuchar #2 Cobra Bio Cell+ Callaway Razr Hawk 3W TaylorMade SLDR 19H Mizuno JPX 825-Pro 4-AW Scor 55 & 60 (Wedges)

Sounds like u mess around a lot with different swings. I usually try to have the club do the work for me, trying to short a swing for me usually ends up with me flying the green (more controlled compact swing).

Reason why others might be hitting shorter irons might also be equipment. You wouldn't believe some of the lofts they put irons these days.

yep sometimes i have fly the green cause that :P but most of the times its more cause im not sure of the hit (water before the green, not sure of the distance, etc) but my shots usually are more accurate this way.

x 230  Long Tom

3w 200  Cleveland Black

3 hybrid 180  Mashie

4 hy     170   Mashie

5 hy     160   Mashie

6          145   2006 (?)  Berthas

7           135

8          125

9          115

10         95

52         80  Eidolon

56         60  El cheapo. Mostly just used in the sand.

Working to increase these.  I am very inconsistent currently, and you could add 25 yards to all but the last 2 on a good day.

Originally Posted by fishbig36

x 230  Long Tom

3w 200  Cleveland Black

3 hybrid 180  Mashie

4 hy     170   Mashie

5 hy     160   Mashie

7           135

8          125

9          115

10         95

52         80  Eidolon

Working to increase these.  I am very inconsistent currently, and you could add 25 yards to all but the last 2 on a good day.

These seem very realistic for a weekend golfer, not a pro-club pro-daily player-college player, just a weekend golfer.

After going through the bag on the range last weekend:

Driver 260 (ss 100 mph or so)

3 Wood 230

3 Hybrid 210

4 Hybrid 195

5 Iron 185

6 Iron 175

7 Iron 165

8 Iron 155

9 Iron 145

PW 135

GW 125

SW 110

In my Ping Mantis Carry Bag:

Driver | Nakashima NP1 420 9° | Graphite Design YS-7+ Stiff (44 in)

3W | Callaway X-Hot 15° | Adila NV-65S
3H | Acer XDS | TT DG S300

4I-GW | Acer XK Pro | TT DG S300
56° 60° | Dynacraft DMC Forged | TT DG S300

P | SeeMore FGP Mallet | Tupper Grip | 34in

Ball | Reclaimed Pro V1[x]

Reason why others might be hitting shorter irons might also be equipment. You wouldn't believe some of the lofts they put irons these days.

I'm wondering if this is one of my issues. I crush my driver, 3W, and 2i Hybrid, but feel like I lack distance on my irons. I can get 260 out of my 3 wood, but can barely get 165 out of my 6 iron. I feel like those two don't go together...

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Slice of Life

I'm wondering if this is one of my issues. I crush my driver, 3W, and 2i Hybrid, but feel like I lack distance on my irons. I can get 260 out of my 3 wood, but can barely get 165 out of my 6 iron. I feel like those two don't go together...

Are all your clubs the same make/model with the same flex? If not that could be one issue. If they all came together as a box set then I'm not sure what would be the cause.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop

Are all your clubs the same make/model with the same flex? If not that could be one issue. If they all came together as a box set then I'm not sure what would be the cause.

No, and that's what makes me think it's the clubs.

TaylorMade RBZ Driver and 3 wood, Cleveland Hybrid, and Nike Slingshot irons.

Ryan M

Originally Posted by Slice of Life

No, and that's what makes me think it's the clubs.

TaylorMade RBZ Driver and 3 wood, Cleveland Hybrid, and Nike Slingshot irons.

Definitely the clubs. If you are looking for distance on the irons burner 09, burner plus, or burner 2.0 will give you a lot of distance and consistency. There are other clubs that will do the same, pings are great, and I also tried out some newer cobras that were comparable to the burner  plus irons I just bought. You can get the burner plus irons new for 299 many places.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop

Definitely the clubs. If you are looking for distance on the irons burner 09, burner plus, or burner 2.0 will give you a lot of distance and consistency. There are other clubs that will do the same, pings are great, and I also tried out some newer cobras that were comparable to the burner  plus irons I just bought. You can get the burner plus irons new for 299 many places.

That's not a bad price. I'm debating whether or not to hold on to the slingshots until I get consistent enough with my irons to get a good set of blades. I used a set when I was on vacation in Florida, and played terribly with them, but when I hit it well, there was no denying the huge difference.

Ryan M

x 230  Long Tom

3w 200  Cleveland Black

3 hybrid 180  Mashie

4 hy     170   Mashie

5 hy     160   Mashie

7           135

8          125

9          115

10         95

52         80  Eidolon

The only difference is I use a 5 iron rather than 5 hybrid, and I don't carry a 3W anymore. Also, I don't think I can get another 25 yards out of any of these without getting "aggressive" and very likely mishitting shots. I already hit my driver with a pull-fade if I try to swing faster, which ends up going shorter anyway. Maybe, I'm a little too tense, and need to relax into my new swing.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Originally Posted by DocParty

These seem very realistic for a weekend golfer, not a pro-club pro-daily player-college player, just a weekend golfer.

Well, I guess that is why I make my living at something else.  lol   Working hard at increasing the numbers.  But as long as i can decrease the strokes, not too worried about how I get there.

Originally Posted by Lihu

The only difference is I use a 5 iron rather than 5 hybrid, and I don't carry a 3W anymore. Also, I don't think I can get another 25 yards out of any of these without getting "aggressive" and very likely mishitting shots. I already hit my driver with a pull-fade if I try to swing faster, which ends up going shorter anyway. Maybe, I'm a little too tense, and need to relax into my new swing.

I am kind of inconsistent.  As I get to hitting the ball better, I have some difficulty clubbing.  And while 25 yards is a bit of an exaggeration, I have been long by as many as 20 yards over expected distances the last 2 rounds.  When you set up for 125 and hit it 145, it can be a problem...  But, a problem I don't mind having.  Generally, setting up for 145 and hitting it 125 is worse......

This isn't one of those satirical threads. I am genuinely curious, and I figure a few people might be honest.

Most of the time when I go to the range I go to one near my house, where all the markers are off the center of the facility where they have mats. To hit off the grass, you have to go to the side and hit towards the targets at an angle so it's impossible to know your distance.

I know I don't hit it far, but don't really know how far in general. My typical reference point is that my 8 iron can go about 130 yards, give or take 10 yards either way. So if my distance to the green is shorter or longer than that, I use that as my starting point and go up or down a club or two to adjust.

My drives are not very long, I think I am doing good to hit 200 yards. Although I just got a Rocketballs 9.5* that I love and am hitting longer, so I think once I get used to it and get my shots a little straighter I'll be longer than that.

My 3 wood is an older Warbird but I hit it very consistently so I like it. I typically hit it about 170 off the grass. Last night I hit an older Taylormade Burner 5 wood and I hit it about the same as my 3 wood, maybe even up to 180 on some shots.

I'm just curious where these distances stand in relation to the golfers here? I know I'm not a long hitter, but part of that is by design because if I try to hit it too hard I have a tendency to mishit more, and I would much rather lose some distance and be more accurate.

it should be "what's your age, how long have you been playing, and how far can you hit it" instead of "how far you can hit it."  gramps will never outdrive the college kid, provided they are at similar levels of skill.  i drive a pretty good distance, 270, but am always humiliated by the junior high school boys team that plays at my local course.  i swear they drive the ball 290+ on every shot.

A lot depends on age, and fitness level, and flexibility level, oh and height too.

For instance

My dad is 45. 6'2" Very good shape and very strong arms. He has lost some flexibility over the years since I have been playing

He drives the ball ~300 on a straight drive with a decent ball on the course.

He uses a lot more strength to hit it that far.

I'm 23. 6'0 Good shape but not nearly as strong. Very flexible.

I drive the ball 300+ yards when I hit it straight with a decent ball on the course. We are usually pretty even but I am hitting further than him more often than not. I don't swing as hard and more use my long arms to do all the work.

Like tuffluck says its a lot to do with age. I can just get more torque on the club easier. If I hit the ball straight with a driver more than 50% of the time the numbers might be pretty impressive but I would rather hit it 270 every time straight down the middle than 300+ and in the rough/trees/another holes fairway half the time.

I am kind of inconsistent.  As I get to hitting the ball better, I have some difficulty clubbing.  And while 25 yards is a bit of an exaggeration, I have been long by as many as 20 yards over expected distances the last 2 rounds.  When you set up for 125 and hit it 145, it can be a problem...  But, a problem I don't mind having.  Generally, setting up for 145 and hitting it 125 is worse......

I agree that it feels worse to setup for 145 an hit only 125, but on the course hitting too far might mean adding 2 strokes for a badly placed ball or even a potential OB. I tend to layup more at this point in my game, maybe more than I need. Just not that confident with hitting yet.

Off the tee, I can see how I might get 10 yards on each club.

Also, I am just learning to avoid coming over the top. Takes some getting used to.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Note: This thread is 969 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!