IGNORED

Average Distances - How Far Do You Hit Each Club? (And Don't Lie!)

Note: This thread is 941 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Seems like ive seen something similar to this on here before, had to check and see if ive already responded to this. My distances arent that impressive either due to being a high handicap and not having the most efficient swing.

Driver 225
3 wood 215
3 hybrid 205
4 hybrid 190
5 hybrid 175
6 iron 160
7 iron 150
8 iron 135
9 iron 125
pw 110
sw 100

In my bag
Driver-top flite cannon 460 cc 10.5 deg, reg flex
3 Wood-ACUITY GOLF RCX 14°
3h-warrior golf tcp 20°
4h-warrior golf tcp 23°5h-warrior golf tcp 26° 6-pw-AFFINITY / ORLIMAR HT2 SERIES irons steel shafts regular flex56° sw-tour seriesram puttergolf balls-intech beta ti

Average 290?? That is a good driver on tour. Do you include your mishits?
Fly my driver no wind, no roll, pure shot (1 out 4) 260.
A perfectly struck 8I, 150.
A perfect 58, 95.
64, 70 yards max.

If I were to make these averages, it is proably 240, 140, 90, 65.

There is not a player who carries a 8 handicap who averages 290. That means for everyone you miss and it goes 265 (1 out of 3) you hit one that goes 315 equally as much. Averages do include bad ones.

Brian

Incorrect, to have good launch monitor stats you have to have correctly fit equipment. I do not not have a great swing, I have a driver that was fit to my swing to maximize my launch conditions. I AVG. 290 off the tee. If I really go at it I can get some well into the 310-315 range, and have been doing so since I was a 12 handicap.

It doesn't matter how well you have been fit to a club, you need to have a great swing to average 290 with it and if you have that great of a swing then there is no reason you are a 9 handicap.

Certified G.O.L.F. Machine Addict

Average 290?? That is a good driver on tour. Do you include your mishits?

He didnt say 290 in which direction. I dont remember seeing any rule that your average had to be only fairways hit. I play with a couple of different guys who average better than my 280ish ... neither one can beat me because they never hit the fairway and they are probably both around 8-9 handicaps.

Lightweight Cart Bag
Scotty Cameron Putter (several models unfortunately)studio stock 4
AP2 Irons 4-PW
ProV1X Balls
2 and 3 TP Rescue07 Burner TP 9.560, 56, 52 CG 12 WedgesOld man CartSi vis pacem, para bellum

You think you drive it 300 yards? Guess what, you're within the top 10 on the PGA tour, congratulations!

The question is your average distance. Your average should be done on a launch monitor, in which you hit a number of shots, and average them out, mishits and all. I have a clubhead speed of about 115 with my driver, and I cannot even hope to average 300. My average dissipation with a 6 iron is about 20 yards left/right. Lob wedge tends to average 7-8 yards side to side. My driver distance puts me even with Scott Verplank or Brian Gay, which is not a bad average! They probably hit the center of the clubface much more often than I do too.

My averages:

Drvier - 265
3 wood - 240
5 wood - 225
3 iron - 210
4 iron - 195
5 iron - 180
6 iron - 170
7 iron - 160
8 iron - 150
9 iron - 140
P wedge - 130
S wedge - 110
L wedge - 90

Others:
2 iron - 225
Now, I can smash a driver out past 300, and indeed, I can easily hit a pitching wedge 150, but I'd never claim such shots as average!

mrt10x good point, Although I still feel a 9 handicap is good even if i do hit the ball 290+ yards on a drive. It has nothing to do with my short game nor where my ball lands. 290 yards in the wrong direction is not good. Ive always been told its not the club that makes the player, its the player that makes the club. That was before I went and hit into a computer that showed me at 115-120 club head speed on my driver that had a regular flex shaft on it. Switched to a stiff shaft and every shot has been perfectly straight. That is also the reason I am getting new irons. My current irons have graphite instead of steel so I had a tendancy to slice the ball left on long iron shots. I do want to point out that 290+ is hitting on the course not the computer. I was testing out a 6 iron 3 days ago on a computer and there is no way I was hitting the ball 210 yards, something has to be wrong on those things.

Shanks a Million- Distances with any iron comes down to what your want to do with the ball. Sometimes your max distance with each club is the wrong shot, Sometimes it could be the right shot. The point I am trying to make is that it is hard to say "on average" I hit my 9i 155 yards, in a perfect world every pin shot would be 155 yards exactly and I use a full swing and have a 1 ft putt every time, but we all no that is not the case. Hints why I would use a range of distances that each club would be suitable, min-max.

To put this another way, I play with people who claim they average maybe 300, and I crank it past them every time. Start measuring your drives with a GPS, then take the total yardage, and divide by the number of drives. You will cry when you see the result.

At the range where I practice, there's two holes, one on each side. I watch group after group tee off, and hit approaches on the other side. Almost everyone hits their approach shot too short, even though the hole often plays downwind. Everyone believes they hit the ball farther than they do. On the other side, players tee off, and it's rare to see someone clear 250.

My driver fitting calls for an X shaft and an 8.5° driver, and I average only about 265. Most people swing 90 mph and need an 11.5° driver with a R flex shaft. If the PGA tour players, guys who have the most accurately fitted clubs and most dead on accurate swings on the planet, are averaging 286, I can guarantee that you guys are not averaging 300+. Don't BS yourself people.

He didnt say 290 in which direction. I dont remember seeing any rule that your average had to be only fairways hit. I play with a couple of different guys who average better than my 280ish ... neither one can beat me because they never hit the fairway and they are probably both around 8-9 handicaps.

My handicap jumped to 9 because I could not play for a year (shoulder surgery and rehab) and upon return was working out bugs in my short game, amazing how much touch you lose in a year. First few rounds were HORRIBLE and counted them anyway. Mis-hits yes 265, I have a good swing (there are guys on the tour with ugly swings)but make solid contact with my driver all day long. The last 5 rounds I played to 5 Hdcp, like I just mentioned, off the tee is not my problem, short game is inconsistant and it kills me. I can be 290 yards off the tee and in the fairway but it doesn't mean I'm good where it counts.... 100yards and in.

:callaway: BB Alpha 815 DBD 10.5* Rogue Silver 60 :callaway: x2hot 3deep 14.5* (TBD) :tmade: RSI UDI 20* RIP Tour 90 :bridgestone: J40CB 4-PW Steelfiber i95 :vokey: SM4 50* KBS Tour V :vokey: SM5 54* KBS 610 :vokey: SM5 58* KBS HI-REV 2.0 MannKrafted Handmade Custom

To put this another way, I play with people who claim they average maybe 300, and I crank it past them every time. Start measuring your drives with a GPS, then take the total yardage, and divide by the number of drives. You will cry when you see the result.

Don't mean to put it like this but, I will go out with you any day of the week and bomb balls past yours on a fly. Launch monitor stats, 15 drives avg 289.7 yards. Play courses with GPS. I never said that a was a PGA tour caliber player, just because I can drive the ball farther than you doesn't mean Im claiming to be a PGA tour player.

:callaway: BB Alpha 815 DBD 10.5* Rogue Silver 60 :callaway: x2hot 3deep 14.5* (TBD) :tmade: RSI UDI 20* RIP Tour 90 :bridgestone: J40CB 4-PW Steelfiber i95 :vokey: SM4 50* KBS Tour V :vokey: SM5 54* KBS 610 :vokey: SM5 58* KBS HI-REV 2.0 MannKrafted Handmade Custom

I would love to play a round with some of these "300" hitters.

I play with abut a dozen guys all around single digit caps... only the best of us would claim a 265 average.

13 Wedges
1 Putter

Woods and Drive's depend on the weather.
Will give the winter and summer driving average.
Winter gives almost no roll
Summer allows for roll.

Driver 220-230 (Winter) 230-240+ (Summer)
3-wood 210
5-wood 185 (havn't tried it out too much)
4-iron 170 (Havn't tried it out much)
5-iron 160-165
6-iron 145-150
7-iron 140
8-iron 130
9-iron 120
Pitching wedge 110
Sand Wedge 90
Lob Wedge 75 (Very rarely use a full swing though)

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

Driver- 250
3 wood- 235
5 wood - 220
3 hybrid- 205
4 iron- 190
5 iron- 180
6 iron- 167
7 iron- 155
8 iron- 143
9 iron- 135
PW- 122
52- 105
58- 85

When i play on a course with greens that hold my iron tee shots, I use the above numbers. I know that my 6 iron will hit the green and stop at around 160-165. I also play a rougher course where the ball lands and bounces forward alot. Nothing will hold on the greens so I have to hit a club and allow for the roll. On this course I use a 7 iron for 170+ yard par 3s. And my 3 hybrid will go 220.

I played last weekend with a guy who drove his 2 iron 20 yards past my drive on the first hole. 11 handicapper. I was very impressed. Yet he struggled to break 100. I beat him by 20 strokes. The 25 mph winds killed him. Length is not king.

I play with lots of low handicappers and they longest guy I know drives on average about 20 yards further than me.

PING G10 : 10.5*, TFC129 : Stiff - 44"
PING G10 : 15* and 18* : Grafalloy Blue - Stiff - 42 1/2"
PING G10 : 3 Hybrid : Grafalloy Blue - Stiff
Mizuno : MP Fli Hi 4 Iron - DGS300
Mizuno : MP 60 : 5-PW - DGS300Callaway Tour Wedges : 52*and 58*Wilson PutterGoals : Get to the next level. Stuck on a...

Don't mean to put it like this but, I will go out with you any day of the week and bomb balls past yours on a fly. Launch monitor stats, 15 drives avg 289.7 yards. Play courses with GPS. I never said that a was a PGA tour caliber player, just because I can drive the ball farther than you doesn't mean Im claiming to be a PGA tour player.

Take a video of your swing and show us this 289.7 yard swing.

Is that cary distance or total distance?

Lightweight Cart Bag
Scotty Cameron Putter (several models unfortunately)studio stock 4
AP2 Irons 4-PW
ProV1X Balls
2 and 3 TP Rescue07 Burner TP 9.560, 56, 52 CG 12 WedgesOld man CartSi vis pacem, para bellum

Total. Working on the video shanks, I think my dad still has the one from Nov. Although I really don't feel the need to prove anything to you, I will do it anyway. My question to you is; you referenced your driver fitting but you don't use the setup that they told you to use, why is that? Are you calling the 265 yard average withe the fitted driver or the one you are using?

Hey everyone, I'm new to the The Sand Trap and this will be my 1st post.

Driver -- 275
3 Wood -- 250
3 iron -- 215
4 iron -- 205
5 iron -- 190
6 iron -- 175
7 iron -- 165
8 iron -- 155
9 iron -- 145
PW -- 130
GW -- 115
SW -- 100
LW -- 85
Driver -- 909 D2 9.5º - Diamana Blueboard 65
3 Wood -- Burner 15º - REAX Superfast 50 - (re-shafting)
Hybrid -- Rescue TP w/ FCT 19º - Aldila VooDoo SVS8
Irons -- RAC MB TP 3-PW - DG S300
Wedges -- Vokey Spin Milled 52º, MP-T 10 Raw Black Satin 60ºPutter -- Studio Select Newport 2...

Driver--205
3 Wood--185
2 Hybrid--170
4 Iron--160
5 Iron--150
6 Iron--135
7 Iron--130
8 Iron--120
9 Iron--115
PW--105
GW--100
SW--90
LW--80

Career Bests:

9 Holes--37 @ The Fairways at Arrowhead-Front(+2)

18 Holes--80 @ Carroll Meadows Golf Course(+9)

Home Course:

1) The Fairways at Arrowhead

2) Mayfair Country Club

Note: This thread is 941 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!