IGNORED

Average Distances - How Far Do You Hit Each Club? (And Don't Lie!)

Note: This thread is 941 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I[quote name="WhiteLightning" url="/t/18426/average-distances-how-far-do-you-hit-each-club-and-dont-lie/1350_50#post_944606"]My Driver - 285 (Close to 300) 5 Wood - 240 4 hybrid - 220 5 Iron - 205 6 Iron - 190 7 Iron - 180 8 Iron - 170 9 Iron - 160 PW - 150 GW - 135 SW - 105 LW - 90 64 Degree - 60 to 80 [/quote] If you are telling the truth then I am so jealous of your distances. Those are impressive.

Sam Gray

Whats in my :ping: Ping Hoofer Carry Bag?
Driver: :ping: Ping G25 9.5*    Shaft: Graphite Design AD DI 7x
3 Wood: :callaway: Callaway X HOT Pro 3 Deep 14.5       Shaft: Diamana Blue Board 83x
Hybrid: :adams:
 Adams A12 prototype 20*  Shaft: Aldila Rip NV blue prototype 80x
3 iron--Pitching Wedge: :mizuno: MP-64 irons 1* flat      Shafts: KBS Tour Stiff 
Wedges: :cleveland: 588 Forged 54 degree 12 degree bounce and 61 degree 9 degrees bounce   
Putter: :ping: Ping Karsten 1959 Anser 2

I

If you are telling the truth then I am so jealous of your distances. Those are impressive.

I am my dad is also a local (golf pro) :-)

In my :cobra: Bio Bag ~Tyler Westra~
:cobra: Bio Cell Driver 10.5 Draw/Stiff
:cobra: S3 E9 face technology Irons 5-GW/Regular
:cobra: Amp Cell 3-4 Hybrid/Stiff
:mizuno: MP-T4 Wedges 55, 62
:scotty_cameron: Del Mar (With two 20g weights) Cut about 34 in. (SuperStroke Grip 5.0)
:bushnell: Tournament series Pro 1600 Rangefinder
Puma Shoes (Red&Black) (Red&White) (Size 11)

Great thread... Average distances.... The lads on the PGA Tour are shorter than most on here.

Yes they also have great control and constancy

In my :cobra: Bio Bag ~Tyler Westra~
:cobra: Bio Cell Driver 10.5 Draw/Stiff
:cobra: S3 E9 face technology Irons 5-GW/Regular
:cobra: Amp Cell 3-4 Hybrid/Stiff
:mizuno: MP-T4 Wedges 55, 62
:scotty_cameron: Del Mar (With two 20g weights) Cut about 34 in. (SuperStroke Grip 5.0)
:bushnell: Tournament series Pro 1600 Rangefinder
Puma Shoes (Red&Black) (Red&White) (Size 11)

Yes they also have great control and constancy

Ya, and consistency is key to getting your average.....

E.g Someone takes out a driver 10 times per round, they hook one 100 yards for one of those ten.

They would need to hit each of the remaining 9 drives 305 yards to get an average of 285yards for the round.

E.g 1 hook of 100 yards, another poor drive of 220 yards...

They would need to hit the remaining 8 drives 316 yards every time to get an average of 285 yards for the round

I'm guessing "average" may be "this one time" in many cases.

I am not saying this to brag in any manner....When I won the regional Fast Serve contest in tennis I was clocked at 129 and I even miss hit that one. I was 136 pounds. Was it muscle? Was it steroids? Was it crack? Nope. It was technique. Timing. Weight shift. Flow. Methinks lots of BS here but I know that some of these odd and or extraordinary numbers can actually be true. So for some of you frustrated posters who feel like some others have been unfair to you and you are NOT telling lies...I will at least give you the benefit of a doubt. Ive been there.

I am not saying this to brag in any manner....When I won the regional Fast Serve contest in tennis I was clocked at 129 and I even miss hit that one. I was 136 pounds. Was it muscle? Was it steroids? Was it crack? Nope. It was technique. Timing. Weight shift. Flow.

Methinks lots of BS here but I know that some of these odd and or extraordinary numbers can actually be true.

So for some of you frustrated posters who feel like some others have been unfair to you and you are NOT telling lies...I will at least give you the benefit of a doubt. Ive been there.

The biggest cause of dispute on this thread is "Average Distances" in the title. I think it's human nature to forget about the 125 yard duck hooks and 60 yard topped balls when thinking about an average. We've been around long enough to know that mid to high handicap players are going to have their share of those and even some low handicap players aren't totally immune from them.

Even on the course time, after time, after time, I see the same players come up short on the same holes from the same distances. They are playing what they perceive to be "their distance" on a club when in fact "their distance" that's in their mind is actually what they do on the rare occasions when they actually hit a ball perfectly.

If it was a "How far did you hit your longest shot" thread I would believe just about anything within human possibilities. I've even had a few of those myself that I still can't explain and I'm neither a really long hitter nor a very good golfer.

Exactly few realize the majority of their shots are just flat out so-so. At least that's the way it is for me, I suppose I'd have to practice enough to drop my index 3-4 points before I felt differently. Somehow the fleeting best becomes their average. A good shot for me is one I don't have to search for but my north to south dispersion is all over the place. I only track drives for stats now but if a look back at just driver over a round it is usually something like worst of 220ish best might be 280 something and everything in between. At the end of the year all that crap averaged out to 257. I play a lot on the same courses and my approach shots are rarely the same over a period of days. Most guys I play with miss greens short and not just one club short.

Dave :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Missing and[quote name="Dave2512" url="/t/18426/average-distances-how-far-do-you-hit-each-club-and-dont-lie/1350#post_944952"]Exactly few realize the majority of their shots are just flat out so-so. At least that's the way it is for me, I suppose I'd have to practice enough to drop my index 3-4 points before I felt differently. Somehow the fleeting best becomes their average. A good shot for me is one I don't have to search for but my north to south dispersion is all over the place. I only track drives for stats now but if a look back at just driver over a round it is usually something like worst of 220ish best might be 280 something and everything in between. At the end of the year all that crap averaged out to 257. I play a lot on the same courses and my approach shots are rarely the same over a period of days. Most guys I plMMay with miss greens short and not just one club short. [/quote]Missing short with correct club. I hate that. Fear of hitting long is always in my mind especially when approaching down hill. I see that ball just sailing along and think I'm way over when actually it is headed for the green. I think a common problem that is due to perspective. Still vexes me tho.

I just want to point out the difference between general internet inflation and bragging about fantasy distances, and not reporting your true numerical mean as your average distance.  I think pissiness about not reporting true numerical average is a little silly.

For argument's sake, say 1/4 of my 4i shots are mishits that result in less distance (chunks, weak push fades, low draws that bounce and run out short and left, etc), say 170 yards on average between the different types.  The rest of my shots go somewhere reasonably near the green and average 200 yards on the line from ball to target.  I'm not going to report 192.5 as my 4i distance.  Standing over the ball at 192.5 yards with a 4i I'm expecting either to hit the back or airmail the green unless I hit a crap shot.  I'm going to report the distance where I expect the ball to be near pin high if I hit a reasonable shot, which is about 198-204.

I'm well aware that my true numerical average is less that 202, but that's the distance I'm going to play, and one I have experience telling me is about the distance from which I'll average pin high when I hit something other than a horrible shot.  So that's what I'll report on a thread like this.

• Upvote 1

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

My averages aren't as meaningful given my lack of consistency with any of my clubs so I'll take it from a different angle...what club (generally) am I going to reach for based on my distance to the pin (if that makes sense). There are pretty wide ranges per club, but welcome to the state of my game. 50 yards and in - partial PW 60 - 75 yards - SW 75 - 100 yards - GW 100 - 110 yards - full PW 110 - 125 yards - 9i 125 - 145 yards - 8i 145 - 155 yards - 7i 155 - 160 yards - 6i 160 - 170 yards - 5i 170 - 185 yards - 4h 185+ yards - 3h Off the tee (under 350ish) - 3w Off the tee (over 350ish) - Driver

Missing and

Missing short with correct club. I hate that. Fear of hitting long is always in my mind especially when approaching down hill. I see that ball just sailing along and think I'm way over when actually it is headed for the green. I think a common problem that is due to perspective. Still vexes me tho.

I feel the same way but my misses are rarely long because that is the irregular miss despite it's beauty. Even then part of the fun. Once in a while I absolutely rip one, living in CO I'd be afraid to even mention how far in fear of a TST beat down. Kind of like the wow factor every so often to make my playing partners feel puny :dance: . Even better when they come in twos like on a long par 5.

Dave :-)

My averages aren't as meaningful given my lack of consistency with any of my clubs so I'll take it from a different angle...what club (generally) am I going to reach for based on my distance to the pin (if that makes sense). There are pretty wide ranges per club, but welcome to the state of my game.

50 yards and in - partial PW

60 - 75 yards - SW

75 - 100 yards - GW

100 - 110 yards - full PW

110 - 125 yards - 9i

125 - 145 yards - 8i

145 - 155 yards - 7i

155 - 160 yards - 6i

160 - 170 yards - 5i

170 - 185 yards - 4h

185+ yards - 3h

Off the tee (under 350ish) - 3w

Off the tee (over 350ish) - Driver

I think this is where the low handicappers will not believe the 350+ yard drives. 350+ yards on your good drives while you hit your PW 105 does not really compute. Once you put 185 for your 3 hybrid (maybe 18 degrees?), and 105 for PW, the proper distance for your driver would be 220 carry and a 250 total?

If you hit your driver 350+ yards, your carry is still in the 330 range and the swing speed with the driver is in the 140mph range. If you even swing a half swing with your PW and hit the toe, the ball should still go at least 130 yards or more. This is why the numbers do not really make sense, and why there might be some people wondering why you wrote 350.

Unless, of course you meant 250 and not 350. Could also be a typo.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I think this is where the low handicappers will not believe the 350+ yard drives. 350+ yards on your good drives while you hit your PW 105 does not really compute. Once you put 185 for your 3 hybrid (maybe 18 degrees?), and 105 for PW, the proper distance for your driver would be 220 carry and a 250 total? If you hit your driver 350+ yards, your carry is still in the 330 range and the swing speed with the driver is in the 140mph range. If you even swing a half swing with your PW and hit the toe, the ball should still go at least 130 yards or more. This is why the numbers do not really make sense, and why there might be some people wondering why you wrote 350. Unless, of course you meant 250 and not 350. Could also be a typo.

Nope turns out we misunderstood

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

I think this is where the low handicappers will not believe the 350+ yard drives. 350+ yards on your good drives while you hit your PW 105 does not really compute. Once you put 185 for your 3 hybrid (maybe 18 degrees?), and 105 for PW, the proper distance for your driver would be 220 carry and a 250 total?

If you hit your driver 350+ yards, your carry is still in the 330 range and the swing speed with the driver is in the 140mph range. If you even swing a half swing with your PW and hit the toe, the ball should still go at least 130 yards or more. This is why the numbers do not really make sense, and why there might be some people wondering why you wrote 350.

Unless, of course you meant 250 and not 350. Could also be a typo.

I think he meant on 350 yard holes or less, he hits 3 wood off the tee.  On longer holes, he reaches for the driver. That's how I read it, anyway.

I think he meant on 350 yard holes or less, he hits 3 wood off the tee.  On longer holes, he reaches for the driver. That's how I read it, anyway.

Yeah that's how I read it.  And that makes sense.  Figure with the other distances given his driver goes 220-230?  Then 3w maybe 200-210?  350's about the cutoff where below that he can hit 3w and still hit a scoring iron approach, but above that he's trading scoring for mid or mid for long if he chooses 3w over driver.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harmonious

Yeah that's how I read it.  And that makes sense.  Figure with the other distances given his driver goes 220-230?  Then 3w maybe 200-210?  350's about the cutoff where below that he can hit 3w and still hit a scoring iron approach, but above that he's trading scoring for mid or mid for long if he chooses 3w over driver.

Ah yes, I misread the statement. Oops.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Note: This thread is 941 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!