IGNORED

Average Distances - How Far Do You Hit Each Club? (And Don't Lie!)

Note: This thread is 1124 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

You are right. The shot with 9.700 rpm only got to 115m (125 yards), It dropped dead, no roll at all. It was also off to the left. Luckily I am not intending to hit my iron-7 shots with 10.000 rpm... :)

For a regular shot with iron...

When you think about it from a physics standpoint. You hit a ball with the club...you are transferring momentum into the  ball. Too much energy is being expended in ball spinning.

smash factor for a mid-iron club should be about 1.35- 1.4, on a good hit in the sweetspot.

Small amount of roll is expected I think, especially in mid-irons and long-irons. But for you obviously, you go with whatever distance your clubhead speed affords you to hit the irons.

Short irons and wedges do benefit sometimes from lots of backspin. You can guide the ball towards the hole, with backspin like how Phil Mickelson sometimes does it.

I think my backspin with irons and wedges was about 5000-6000 rpm. When you go to trackman, you should clean your clubheads with water so the grooves are not dirty with mud and sand. Dirty grooves lower spin.

My average spin was ofc not 9.700... It was around 7.700. Still high I know. My average smash factor was 1.32. You are right, on the shots I felt I had hit the sweetspot my Smash factor was 1.34 - 1.4. You're a hcp 32? So with 5-6.000 rpm, how far do you hit with your iron 7 on n average shot (not a perfect shot, not a wasted shot)?

Got my yardages figured out now with playing a lot this past week. Currently at: Driver 250max 3 wood 200 carry 3h 185 4i 170 5i 165 6i 160 7i 150 8i 140 9i 125 Pw 115 Gw 100 Sw 85 Lw never hit full. One thing I notice and see no the course is a lot of bunching up of distances in the long irons which to me is screaming out as saying get a 4 hybrid! Secondly, would hate to play with any of the people from TST. I would feel like a such a granny with my distances.

Henry

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Got my yardages figured out now with playing a lot this past week. Currently at:

Driver 250max

3 wood 200 carry

3h 185

4i 170

5i 165

6i 160

7i 150

8i 140

9i 125

Pw 115

Gw 100

Sw 85

Lw never hit full.

One thing I notice and see no the course is a lot of bunching up of distances in the long irons which to me is screaming out as saying get a 4 hybrid!

Secondly, would hate to play with any of the people from TST. I would feel like a such a granny with my distances.

LOL....  You can play with me (golf that is).  My distances are very similar.  GW is at 100, but I probably hit my PW, 9, and 8 a little farther.  After that, its anybodys guess.  Not longer than the distances you listed.

I can pull my 185 club (3h or 4h) and come up 25 yards short due to a miss hit.  I can't call it my 155 club though because I would pull my 6 or 7 for that.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Quote:

Originally Posted by late347

For a regular shot with iron...

When you think about it from a physics standpoint. You hit a ball with the club...you are transferring momentum into the  ball. Too much energy is being expended in ball spinning.

smash factor for a mid-iron club should be about 1.35- 1.4, on a good hit in the sweetspot.

Small amount of roll is expected I think, especially in mid-irons and long-irons. But for you obviously, you go with whatever distance your clubhead speed affords you to hit the irons.

Short irons and wedges do benefit sometimes from lots of backspin. You can guide the ball towards the hole, with backspin like how Phil Mickelson sometimes does it.

I think my backspin with irons and wedges was about 5000-6000 rpm. When you go to trackman, you should clean your clubheads with water so the grooves are not dirty with mud and sand. Dirty grooves lower spin.

My average spin was ofc not 9.700... It was around 7.700. Still high I know. My average smash factor was 1.32. You are right, on the shots I felt I had hit the sweetspot my Smash factor was 1.34 - 1.4.

You're a hcp 32? So with 5-6.000 rpm, how far do you hit with your iron 7 on n average shot (not a perfect shot, not a wasted shot)?

I know you aren't talking to me, but my "normal" 7i is around 185 and on trackman I averaged 8400 ish spin and 1.34 smash factor. This doesn't necessarily translate well to the course because I was hitting off of a mat, but I usually don't get a lot of roll on my mid irons. My best strike was around 9500 spin with 1.38 smash. These are spin numbers with range balls though so they are a little inflated. Average clubhead speed with 7 was 87.2 also.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

LOL....  You can play with me (golf that is).  My distances are very similar.  GW is at 100, but I probably hit my PW, 9, and 8 a little farther.  After that, its anybodys guess.  Not longer than the distances you listed. I can pull my 185 club (3h or 4h) and come up 25 yards short due to a miss hit.  I can't call it my 155 club though because I would pull my 6 or 7 for that.

Sweet, I know that for both of us our yardages are actually pretty solid and at my home course on a couple of 170+ yrd par 3s it's uncommon to see people carry the ball into the green with an iron.

Henry

Driver 220'ish avg
3 wood 200'ish on a good hit
7 wood 185-190
5h 175
6i 160
7i 150
8i 140
9i 130
Pw 120
Gw 100
Sw 90

Lw 80

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

Driver : 275

3-Wood : 240

3-Hybrid : 218

4iron : 200

5iron : 190

6iron : 180

7iron : 170

8iron : 160

9iron : 150

P-wedge : 140

52 wedge : 120

58 wedge 100

Driver: Cobra Bio Cell 9.5 Stiff

3-Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 14.5 Stiff

3-Hybrid: Adams A3 Boxer 19 Stiff

Irons: Cobra Bio Cell + 4-PW Stiff

50 Wedge: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 CB

54 Wedge: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0

58 Wedge: Cleveland CG14

Putter: Odyssey White Ice #9

I know you aren't talking to me, but my "normal" 7i is around 185 and on trackman I averaged 8400 ish spin and 1.34 smash factor. This doesn't necessarily translate well to the course because I was hitting off of a mat, but I usually don't get a lot of roll on my mid irons. My best strike was around 9500 spin with 1.38 smash. These are spin numbers with range balls though so they are a little inflated. Average clubhead speed with 7 was 87.2 also.

Impressive numbers, but these seems to be above average? Also, numbers are numbers... I've seen people who have been playing for two years and on the driving range they seem to hit it great and would normally outdrive me with any club, but then you play some holes with them and they cant hit a fairway or green in regulation. So I'm not a very big fan of  'oh my god numbers' or 'I have to hit as far as possible'. It's just nice to see that I can win from long-hitters because my shots are normally straight (or a small fade) and my short game is great. Also, I've read things here like 'If I could only drive 216 yards, I'd quit the game'. That's very disrespectful to the shorter hitters imo.

On the other hand, I know I can do better in terms of distance, and I'm working on that. Would be happy if I could move one club. So when now I need a i7 (120-130m) I would then need an i8. I'm trying to achieve that before 2015... I'll keep you posted XD.

Got my yardages figured out now with playing a lot this past week. Currently at:

Driver 250max

3 wood 200 carry

3h 185

4i 170

5i 165

6i 160

7i 150

8i 140

9i 125

Pw 115

Gw 100

Sw 85

Lw never hit full.

One thing I notice and see no the course is a lot of bunching up of distances in the long irons which to me is screaming out as saying get a 4 hybrid!

Secondly, would hate to play with any of the people from TST. I would feel like a such a granny with my distances.

Not offending anyone, but I do believe some numbers here on TST are exaggerated. Not saying they are lying, but I think some people are giving their premium-numbers (hitting a shot at 95 or even 100%). That's of course not an average. And again, numbers are numbers and everything is relative, especially distance. You seem to hit pretty decent distances. If I may believe my pro at the club and the pro who did my trackman analysis, the 'normal/average' distance with an i7 for men is around 130m (142 yards).

Not offending anyone, but I do believe some numbers here on TST are exaggerated. Not saying they are lying, but I think some people are giving their premium-numbers (hitting a shot at 95 or even 100%). That's of course not an average. And again, numbers are numbers and everything is relative, especially distance. You seem to hit pretty decent distances. If I may believe my pro at the club and the pro who did my trackman analysis, the 'normal/average' distance with an i7 for men is around 130m (142 yards).

from my experience of playing with many different people this is probably true if you take the entire population. But i will stick up for people on the TST and say that i suspect the average will be much higher due to the well above average standard of players on here. I know if i took the average 7iron distance of the last 3 people i got paired with you'd be looking at well in excess of 175 yards. (On one par 3 i was hitting 3hybrid and my partner was hitting a 7 iron...and he carried the ball further than I)

Henry

from my experience of playing with many different people this is probably true if you take the entire population. But i will stick up for people on the TST and say that i suspect the average will be much higher due to the well above average standard of players on here. I know if i took the average 7iron distance of the last 3 people i got paired with you'd be looking at well in excess of 175 yards. (On one par 3 i was hitting 3hybrid and my partner was hitting a 7 iron...and he carried the ball further than I)

It's true that players who are so passionate about golf that they join an internet forum will probably be the better players and thus the players that hit it further. But does hitting 175 yards with your i7 makes you a better player than someone who hits it 140 or 150 yards? I think not, golf is so much more than distance. It's a bit sad that almost all players I play with are constantly talking about distance instead of talking about achieving a decent total game. Especially male players seem to have the testosterone-problem and think they are way better because one needs an i8 while I needed an i6. I finished the hole in PAR, as did he.

It's true that for a 150m distance I would grab my 5i and my 8 hcp friend (who is luckily not a testosterone-player :p) probably a 7i, but he has been playing for 20 years so everything should be put into perspective. On my golfcourse I think there are 3 holes where I have currently been unable to hit GIR, can live with that. A decent shortgame can still save PAR.

My irons haven't arrived yet, me sad :(

Yes i have hit greens with 150m 7-iron. More often it's the accuracy which is problem not distance. So instead of hitting the green, sometime i get push or pull shots to the side of the green. Someone once said that those straight shots really are difficult in golf. It's true. Currently i'm working on the accuracy to be able to hit mostly draw shots. It takes some effort to get the clubpath more in-to-out it seems.

Impressive numbers, but these seems to be above average? Also, numbers are numbers... I've seen people who have been playing for two years and on the driving range they seem to hit it great and would normally outdrive me with any club, but then you play some holes with them and they cant hit a fairway or green in regulation. So I'm not a very big fan of  'oh my god numbers' or 'I have to hit as far as possible'. It's just nice to see that I can win from long-hitters because my shots are normally straight (or a small fade) and my short game is great. Also, I've read things here like 'If I could only drive 216 yards, I'd quit the game'. That's very disrespectful to the shorter hitters imo.

On the other hand, I know I can do better in terms of distance, and I'm working on that. Would be happy if I could move one club. So when now I need a i7 (120-130m) I would then need an i8. I'm trying to achieve that before 2015... I'll keep you posted XD.

Yes, my numbers are above average, for an amateur. Also, yes, I do have directional control issues, never said I didn't nor meant to imply it. I only posted numbers because they were related to what you posted not as a bragging stance. I wouldn't say anything about quitting if I could only hit it a certain distance. However, I would/have said I'll quit if I can't get my scores down to what I feel is "acceptable" for me. But that is a personal thing and if someone can have fun playing shooting high scores then that's great for them. I also don't think the people who say they'd quit would actually do so, including myself. Good luck on your goal, I'm sure you'll be able to do it. Adding one club length of distance should be a obtainable goal.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Yes, my numbers are above average, for an amateur. Also, yes, I do have directional control issues, never said I didn't nor meant to imply it.

Yep, you are not safe even when you are standing behind him :-P

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Yep, you are not safe even when you are standing behind him

I have a friend who i kid you not managed to hit a ball between his own legs. And this ball travelled a good 30-40yards, wasn't just a whiff! :blink:

Henry

I think there are some on here who have either exaggerated their numbers or put the longest number they have hit with the club, even if it was only once. We also have to consider the lofts of the clubs they are using. Some irons these days have such strong lofts that a 7 iron almost becomes a 6 iron. So there is a lot to how some people hit there irons so far ( well how they claim to hit them so far). The loft on my irons are a degree stronger than most, mainly because I hit the ball very high so I wanted them one degree stronger to combat my super high ball flight. My 7 iron is my 170 yard (about 155m) club. I can get it to go up to around 175 if I need to, but 170 is just a solid swing. I don't really see a point into claiming you hit the ball farther than you do, your just going to hurt yourself and your game and your scores by leaving a lot of approach shots short.

Driver: Cobra Bio Cell 9.5 Stiff

3-Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 14.5 Stiff

3-Hybrid: Adams A3 Boxer 19 Stiff

Irons: Cobra Bio Cell + 4-PW Stiff

50 Wedge: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 CB

54 Wedge: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0

58 Wedge: Cleveland CG14

Putter: Odyssey White Ice #9

I think there are some on here who have either exaggerated their numbers or put the longest number they have hit with the club, even if it was only once. We also have to consider the lofts of the clubs they are using. Some irons these days have such strong lofts that a 7 iron almost becomes a 6 iron. So there is a lot to how some people hit there irons so far ( well how they claim to hit them so far). The loft on my irons are a degree stronger than most, mainly because I hit the ball very high so I wanted them one degree stronger to combat my super high ball flight. My 7 iron is my 170 yard (about 155m) club. I can get it to go up to around 175 if I need to, but 170 is just a solid swing. I don't really see a point into claiming you hit the ball farther than you do, your just going to hurt yourself and your game and your scores by leaving a lot of approach shots short.

I don't think most people intend to exaggerate how far they hit it. I also think you should give distances for good/normal shots not the outliers like super long or short shots. My irons are pretty strong for loft, but to be honest most modern irons are pretty strong anyway.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Note: This thread is 1124 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!