IGNORED

Average Distances - How Far Do You Hit Each Club? (And Don't Lie!)

Note: This thread is 962 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I think I might reset my GG stats at the end of winter and do the same, basically just use a different tag for any shot that is out of the "norm".

Saying that, I suppose the average distances don't really mean a lot (I could just ignore them). It's the approach data and misses left/ right/ long/ short that are the most important and having the largest data range has a lot of worth.

Chris 

Ex-field hockey player with a few things on my list to correct/ sort out:
1:  Flipping, 2: Overswing, 3: Stop being Tin Cup

Been playing properly since May 2014, got the bug now, so I'm here forever. Must have watched a billion hours of youtube videos, seems to help!

GameGolf, I honestly think it's too skewed... I know a guy who has it, and takes the sensor out when he hits pitches, chips and weird shots...

How do you do that, and wouldn't it give you false GIR stats? [quote name="ChrisWev" url="/t/18426/average-distances-how-far-do-you-hit-each-club-and-dont-lie/2214#post_1196233"]I think I might reset my GG stats at the end of winter and do the same, basically just use a different tag for any shot that is out of the "norm". Saying that, I suppose the average distances don't really mean a lot (I could just ignore them). It's the approach data and misses left/ right/ long/ short that are the most important and having the largest data range has a lot of worth. [/quote] Given what I've read and my friends experience with GG, I'm not so sure this is the ultimate tracking system. What I am trying to setup is a GPS tracked VLOG. I feel like this is the most accurate way to measure on course club distances and review rounds accurately. There's the added benefit of perfect proof of a shot or round by simply not turning off the camera when traveling to each shot. Still trying to figure out if the GPS can display much higher resolution numbers, it's in km and miles to only single and double digit precision. It should have the capability to get 3.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

How do you do that, and wouldn't it give you false GIR stats? Given what I've read and my friends experience with GG, I'm not so sure this is the ultimate tracking system. What I am trying to setup is a GPS tracked VLOG. I feel like this is the most accurate way to measure on course club distances and review rounds accurately. There's the added benefit of perfect proof of a shot or round by simply not turning off the camera when traveling to each shot. Still trying to figure out if the GPS can display much higher resolution numbers, it's in km and miles to only single and double digit precision. It should have the capability to get 3.

No let me tell you why, he only does it if he is chipping or pitching for par... He's a 90s shooter so it doesn't matter anyway, you should be able to go in and delete outlier shots from your average... That's partially why I will not buy it yet...

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Driver 230-250 3w 220 3h 200-210 3 175-185 4 165 5 155 6 150 7 140 8 130 9 120 PW 100 LW 65 I need to buy a sand wedge and a gap wedge. I just bought a pair of Nike Slingshot steel shaft irons 3h-PW, so we will see how they affect my game. I average 95-105 on 18. Very inconsistent around the greens.

Distance per club by itself means nothing.

I see a lot of people that hit the ball a mile, but not nearly as many that can hit it long and straight.

I think I might reset my GG stats at the end of winter and do the same, basically just use a different tag for any shot that is out of the "norm".

Saying that, I suppose the average distances don't really mean a lot (I could just ignore them). It's the approach data and misses left/ right/ long/ short that are the most important and having the largest data range has a lot of worth.

It really doesn't affect the averages once you get enough shots in there. My GG numbers are very close to my FlightScope numbers. It is what it is though I can see how it would bounce around quite a bit for higher handicap golfers due to the inconsistencies in their shots, more rescue and punch shots than better players but also a lot of erratic shots. It can be humbling to see the numbers but it's what we really do. I wouldn't want inflated numbers, especially if I was using it to determine what to do on the course.

If GG says you average 160 with a 4 iron or whatever it's because it's a tougher club to hit than whatever your actual 160 club is. I had a rough start to the season. For a while my averages from 7-4 didn't vary much and it was down to poor ball striking not random unusual shots. As I improved with reps the averages evened out. It made sense because my stats got better and my average score dropped about 3 strokes.

My driver average is currently at a season low of 236 yards despite playing the best golf of the year, it's just a little higher than my 2 hybrid average. The reason I am really hitting some poor drives. Every round best to worst is as much as 80-90 yards and since I only use it 10 or so times a round a couple mediocre drives can really drag the average down. I don't care it's the score than matters but my averages are legit.

Dave :-)

9/11/15: SW (56°). 80 AW (50°). 100 PW (45°). 120 9i (41°). 131 8i (37°). 142 7i (33°). 152 6i (29°). 162 5i (26°). 172 4i (23°). 182 4h (23°). 190 3h (20°). 200 3w (15°). 220 Dr (10.5°) 250 I'd like to hit the irons further, but the height I hit the ball, kind of makes my iron shots on the weak side... I'm not shooting for 180 with a 7i or anything stupid like that... But like in the 160-165 range... Which with 250 carry with Mr. Gopher, 160 would be 64% of my driver, so probably 165 would be a good goal, once my driver distance comes back.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

My index is a 2.3 and I play mizuno MP4 irons with a 6.5 rifle shaft.

Driver:290

3 Wood:250

3 Iron: 230

4 Iron: 210

5 Iron: 200

6 Iron: 190

7 Iron: 180

8 Iron: 170

9 Iron: 160

Pitching Wedge: 150

52 Degree: 130

56 Degree: 115

60 Degree: 105

9/11/15: SW (56°). 80 AW (50°). 100 PW (45°). 120 9i (41°). 131 8i (37°). 142 7i (33°). 152 6i (29°). 162 5i (26°). 172 4i (23°). 182 4h (23°). 190 3h (20°). 200 3w (15°). 220 Dr (10.5°) 250 I'd like to hit the irons further, but the height I hit the ball, kind of makes my iron shots on the weak side... I'm not shooting for 180 with a 7i or anything stupid like that... But like in the 160-165 range... Which with 250 carry with Mr. Gopher, 160 would be 64% of my driver, so probably 165 would be a good goal, once my driver distance comes back.

Identical numbers to mine! I'm playing to 12 handicap and need some better irons! Recently switched to GI JPX 850 from apex Pro and so far little increase on my distance but great help on the miss hits!

Quote:

Originally Posted by pecos24

When my copy of LSW gets here and I learn how to map my shot zones I hope I will have these distances a little more dialed in.  I don't use my 4I or 5I very often so those distances are best guesses as well as my new 3 wood.  Everything else should be pretty close.

Driver - 215 ( driver distances really fluctuating this year... 200 - 240)

3W - 220? (new club in my bag this year and I have not hit it very consistent)

5W - 195-200

7W - 185-190

4I - 180-185

5I - 170-175

6I - 165

7I - 150

8I - 140

9I  - 130-135

PW - 115-120

AW - 100-105

SW - 90-95

I cannot tell a lie....  After using Game Golf, starting in mid June, I am going to post my re-evaluated distances and dish up some humble pie.

Here are my Game Golf averages:

Driver - 201, with a max of 236

3W - 164 with a max of 216

5W - 154 with a max of 170 ( I have left this club in the bag just because I hit my 7W just as far or farther on avg)

7W - 163 with a max of 193

4I - 113 with a max of 187 (This is going to convince me to look for a hybrid to replace this club,  I never have hit a 4I very well)

5I - 157 with a max of 188

6I - 142 with a max of 172

7I - 136 with a max of 165

8I - 124 with a max of 147

9I - 114 with a max of 132

PW - 68 with a max of 112 ( The low avg on this one is due to me using this for a lot pitching and chipping)

GW - 101 with a max of 113

SW - 52 with max of 103

My original guesses were fairly close to what max distances tend to be but not anything close to my averages.  I am sure a lot of this is due to my crappy ball striking and I only looked at the good ones.  Some of the averages that Game Golf chose I think are a little skewed like the 52 yard average on my sand wedge.  Looking at my stats I believe I hit a full SW around 85.  But definitely not the 90-95 yard range that originally indicated.

As you improve your swing, the average will go up closer and closer to your "max."  Cheers.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

[QUOTE name="pecos24" url="/t/18426/average-distances-how-far-do-you-hit-each-club-and-dont-lie/2178#post_1192895"]   [QUOTE name="pecos24" url="/t/18426/average-distances-how-far-do-you-hit-each-club-and-dont-lie/2016#post_1141418"]   When my copy of LSW gets here and I learn how to map my shot zones I hope I will have these distances a little more dialed in.  I don't use my 4I or 5I very often so those distances are best guesses as well as my new 3 wood.  Everything else should be pretty close. Driver - 215 ( driver distances really fluctuating this year... 200 - 240) 3W - 220? (new club in my bag this year and I have not hit it very consistent) 5W - 195-200 7W - 185-190 4I - 180-185  5I - 170-175 6I - 165 7I - 150 8I - 140 9I  - 130-135 PW - 115-120 AW - 100-105 SW - 90-95 [/QUOTE] I cannot tell a lie....  After using Game Golf, starting in mid June, I am going to post my re-evaluated distances and dish up some humble pie. Here are my Game Golf averages: Driver - 201, with a max of 236 3W - 164 with a max of 216  5W - 154 with a max of 170 ( I have left this club in the bag just because I hit my 7W just as far or farther on avg) 7W - 163 with a max of 193 4I - 113 with a max of 187 (This is going to convince me to look for a hybrid to replace this club,  I never have hit a 4I very well) 5I - 157 with a max of 188 6I - 142 with a max of 172 7I - 136 with a max of 165 8I - 124 with a max of 147 9I - 114 with a max of 132 PW - 68 with a max of 112 ( The low avg on this one is due to me using this for a lot pitching and chipping) GW - 101 with a max of 113 SW - 52 with max of 103 . My original guesses were fairly close to what max distances tend to be but not anything close to my averages.  I am sure a lot of this is due to my crappy ball striking and I only looked at the good ones.  Some of the averages that Game Golf chose I think are a little skewed like the 52 yard average on my sand wedge.  Looking at my stats I believe I hit a full SW around 85.  But definitely not the 90-95 yard range that originally indicated. [/QUOTE] As you improve your swing, the average will go up closer and closer to your "max."  Cheers.

Not necessarily, but his average will go up a bit.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I have some interesting numbers on my Game Golf and still on the course when selecting clubs. Statistics are just numbers. You have to use your head, and you have to use the other tools on the site to look at trends. You can also look at how you play from different lies, too, like rough, fairway, bunker, and so on. If you're not doing this you're not using Game Golf to it's fullest potential.

Driver: Max 269; Avg 214. I would say that I typically drive the ball between 220 and 240 yds. unless I seriously mishit. This is shown in the data clusters

3W: Max 222 Avg 202, and I'll buy that. But I haven't used it lately and it's not in my bag. It will return, replacing my hybrid.

5W: Max 190; Avg 142 I haven't hit it that much. The club has mojo, but I don't hit it off the fairway that often. I don't need to. I've hit good shots with this club and I know that my average is well over 142 with it since I've hit it well before I had Game Golf. A sample of 4 shots with two mishits is not large enough. But but 180 to 190? See the 4 iron.

H: Max 185; Avg 126. I hate this club with a passion. I've never hit a decent shot with it. The 185 went into a fairway bunker.

4i: Max 217; Avg 212. I bought this club this year. It will replace my hybrid. I've used it as a driving iron and off the deck. I love this club. I love hitting a long iron. Yes, I'm that girl. It's in Ricky Fowler Orange. 217 yd low stinger off the tee dead center of the fairway. Yeah baby!

5i: Max 206; Avg 176. I've used this club a lot, and I don't always take a full swing with it. It's my 180 club.

6i : Max 208; Avg 167. The 208 was an outlier - hard fairway and a lot of roll. It's my 170 club, although I've hit some fatties with it that lowered the average.

7i: Max 188; Avg 163. I ate my Wheaties the day I hit the 188, and I had a tailwind. It's usually my 155 - 160 club.

8i: Max 169; Avg 146 . Tailwind and Wheaties for the 169. 146 is dead on.

9i: Max 149; Avg 122. Again that tailwind and Wheaties for the 149. 122 is short. I'm usually about 127 . I think the average is lower because I hit partial 9 iron shots.

PW: Max 141; Avg 113 . Can you say skull? Okay the 113-115 is dead on for this one.

GW: Max 137; Avg 99. Now the 137 is pure Wheaties. I don't know what happened. The ball went high in the air and blew over the green. I can't blame the wind. I just simply overswung. Since I hit partials with this club 103 is more accurate for a full shot.

The other two wedges we won't even look at, but I'll guess that 90 for the SW, and 75 for the LW would be average for a full shot.

I guess what's bothering me right now is this: why should I even carry a 3W, 5W or a hybrid when I can hit my 4 iron further than any of them and with more control? I guess the 3W might be smart as a backup for my driver in case something physically goes wrong with it. But the 5W and the Hybrid? Why?

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

One major thing I learned from the LSW clinic is what "Conning yourself" actually means. . .quite simply, if everyone with a handicap above let's say 10 just takes off 10-20 yards what they think they hit a club and select accordingly, their scores would drop quite a few strokes.

For instance, what would you do to your swing if you expect every club to go 10-20 yards shorter?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

One major thing I learned from the LSW clinic is what "Conning yourself" actually means. . .quite simply, if everyone with a handicap above let's say 10 just takes off 10-20 yards what they think they hit a club and select accordingly, their scores would drop quite a few strokes.

For instance, what would you do to your swing if you expect every club to go 10-20 yards shorter?

Don't you think if we were all 10-20 yards short on every approach shot, every round, every week, and every year, we would eventually make that adjustment?

Not sure where these opinions come from, or maybe I'm just not understanding your point.

Lets say I'm out on the course by myself, and I'm trying like hell to break 100... why the #^% would I pull the wrong club or try to swing harder? There's no one there to impress. Are you saying that people above a HI of 10 automatically say to themselves "I have 140 yards to the center of the green, and while I know that's an easy 7i, I think I can get there with a 9i 'cause that's what everyone else at The Sand Trap uses."?

Sorry @Lihu , but I don't buy it. Scoring low is too important. I might believe it if you were talking about folks in their first or second year of learning the game.

And if it is true, how on earth can one get to a HI of 10 if they're constantly missing greens?

Jon

I had a 145 approach to to the flag on the 10th hole on Friday. It was a slightly elevated green. I know I can hit my 8 iron 145 yds. I'm dead confident with it. Why would I be conning myself? Why would I pull a 7i because I should expect it to go 10 yds shorter and end up hitting the ball out of bounds. I selected my 8 iron and put it dead on the green.

See what I think the problem is that people don't practice hitting targets when they go to the driving range. They don't learn what clubs do what. I have a range that has "greens" and flags. The distances are posted on each pole. They've been shot with a rangefinder. I even double checked them with my own. So I practice hitting approach shots to them with my 9, 8, 6 iron, SW, and LW. Most people just blast the ball straight away. So I know what these club distances are.

I also have game golf verify the distance samples. My pro has a GC2 and I've seen the results there as well. I'm not conning myself.

Do you know how hard it is for a woman who hits the ball like this to find playing partners? They're all in college and good enough to where they'd kick my butt.

Julia

Spoiler

[QUOTE name="Lihu" url="/t/18426/average-distances-how-far-do-you-hit-each-club-and-dont-lie/2214#post_1199375"]   One major thing I learned from the LSW clinic is what "Conning yourself" actually means. . .quite simply, if everyone with a handicap above let's say 10 just takes off 10-20 yards what they think they hit a club and select accordingly, their scores would drop quite a few strokes.  For instance, what would you do to your swing if you expect every club to go 10-20 yards shorter? [/QUOTE] Don't you think if we were all 10-20 yards short on every approach shot, every round, every week, and every year, we would eventually make that adjustment? Not sure where these opinions come from, or maybe I'm just not understanding you point. Lets say I'm out on the course by myself, and I'm trying like hell to break 100... why the #^% would I pull the wrong club or try to swing harder? There's no one there to impress. Are you saying that people above a HI of 10 automatically say to themselves "I have 140 yards to the center of the green, and while I know that's an easy 7i, I think I can get there with a 9i 'cause that's what everyone else at The Sand Trap uses."? Sorry @Lihu , but I don't buy it. Scoring low is too important. I might believe it if you were talking about folks in their first or second year of learning the game. And if it is true, how on earth can one get to a HI of 10 if they're constantly missing greens?

11 handicaps are not all that great players. Hitting 6 greens and scrambling for pars is the life of an 84s shooter. You get the occasional birdie that's offset by more doubles somewhere. . . So, I have been thinking about this topic, and the shot zones which I learned in class are actually carry yardages. Also, I'm training and practicing for the Trackman Combine, and this is helping me take a hard look at my actual distances. Trackman Combine only looks at carry yardages except for driver. Once I started looking hard at my carry yardages, everything else didn't really matter any more. In my experience, the greens I hit and stick are usually to my carry yardages. The ones that are long run off or short don't run quite enough on the fringes. So, the fact that most people miss short left or right, indicates that most people simply miss short. Carry yardages are the most important thing for making GIR. The second best is to run up close for a near GIR. We really need a hard look at average carry yardages. The real average under all conditions, as in shot zones in LSW. I think this is on topic in this thread, as most people don't really know how far they hit or they would be much better players. For instance, I don't think this applies to low single digit players, but does apply to anyone shooting above 85 to 90 on average.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Game Golf keeps approach shot statistics. I suggest people should look at them. They are quite interesting.

I tend to miss short or left. My most accurate range is 100 - 125 yds. That would be my pitching wedge and 9 iron - 51% within 15 yds. A close second is 50 - 100.

Julia

Spoiler

Note: This thread is 962 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!