IGNORED

Average Distances - How Far Do You Hit Each Club? (And Don't Lie!)

Note: This thread is 941 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

19 minutes ago, StefanUrkel said:

I don't believe a 9 handicap average 300 yards drives and hits a 3 wood 260.

I don't get calling out other folks like this. You're not the only one who will question these claims, but really, it's not that improbable, IMO.

I know a long-hitter who is far, far worse than a 9. Granted he doesn't average 300 yard drives, but he was consistently hitting 220 (carry and roll) with his 4 iron even though he doesn't play very often (I measured his shots with gps, btw).

Jon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, StefanUrkel said:

Well here's the deal, I really don't care what you believe.  

I have a driver sing speed that averages 115 and tend to hit a light draw. 

Im also not the typical 49 year old. I've wrestled and done martial arts pretty much my whole life. So I'm pretty athletic.

in the last three years I play two to three times a week. I spend another three evenings on the range. I do this for me, and not in the hopes some asshat on the Internet approves or believes. 

The reason it's not lower than a nine is I have a nasty habit of pin hunting when I should play safe. Going for it when I should lay up. 

But if your ever in Indy, look me up I'd be glad to hit the links with you and show you to the woman's tees. Sounds like that is where you should be hitting from.

oh and also I hit my 5 wood 230..... probably farther than you hit your driver.

Sorry for the rant. This is some serious high school bullshit.

Edited by kwjewell67

I played as a 12-15 handicap and averaged 300+. So yea, it is possible. It's a small possibility, but it is possible. So believe it. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

IDK. I have a grandson who averages 310 off the tee, with most of his tee shots landing in the fairway, or just off. His hdcp is probably 30 something, since his short game is pre stone age, with a little Neanderthal thrown in. He can't putt to save his life. A 2 foot putt will run 15 feet past the hole. I kid you not. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

20 -30 yard chips are my serious weak spot.  That's my focus this season is really work my short game and to use more stategy around the course. I'm also going to continue to keep shot stats to point out weaknesses to improve on.

But that's my personality, I'm always very competitive bordering on obsessive.

My handicap goal for this year is to be scratch to 5 handicap. Might have to do some on the course lessons with a teaching pro to help with decision making and stategy.

1 hour ago, Patch said:

IDK. I have a grandson who averages 310 off the tee, with most of his tee shots landing in the fairway, or just off. His hdcp is probably 30 something, since his short game is pre stone age, with a little Neanderthal thrown in. He can't putt to save his life. A 2 foot putt will run 15 feet past the hole. I kid you not. 

I believe it because I've seen it with my own two eyes. Last summer I played with a big country boy who came within a hair of driving the green (about 310). My jaw just dropped, I have never seen someone do that. He had an old yellow Nike Driver, probably available on eBay for $40. To look at this guy, playing in jean shorts and an old pair of basketball shoes, I'd never have guessed he could hit the ball so hard... But then, for his second shot, he chipped over the green, and damn near chipped over it again before three putting. Next hole, same thing: colossal drive, just missed the green to the left (about 300 yards) and then took at least 3 "chipping" attempts (or whatever the hell that was) from the rough before he got on the green, and then took at least 3 putts. By the fourth hole he walked off the course because the guys in front of us were playing "too slow" for his liking. The real reason I think, is, I was way ahead of him by then, even with my little peashooter from the tee. 

On 12/29/2016 at 9:48 PM, kwjewell67 said:

Well here's the deal, I really don't care what you believe.  

I have a driver swing speed that averages 115 and tend to hit a light draw. 

Im also not the typical 49 year old. I've wrestled and done martial arts pretty much my whole life. So I'm pretty athletic.

in the last three years I play two to three times a week. I spend another three evenings on the range. I do this for me, and not in the hopes some asshat on the Internet approves or believes. 

The reason it's not lower than a nine is I have a nasty habit of pin hunting when I should play safe. Going for it when I should lay up. 

But if your ever in Indy, look me up I'd be glad to hit the links with you and show you to the woman's tees. Sounds like that is where you should be hitting from.

oh and also I hit my 5 wood 230..... probably farther than you hit your driver.

I drive around 275. I don't care about your fake sporting strength. I woulsd smoke you in anything physical. Go on a trackman and post results. One 300 yard downhill drive doesn't mean u average it.

2 minutes ago, StefanUrkel said:

I drive around 275. I don't care about your fake sporting strength. I woulsd smoke you in anything physical. Go on a trackman and post results. One 300 yard downhill drive doesn't mean u average it.

Seriously dude, stop it. You don't know anything about his game. Stop talking like you do. 

Guess what, he doesn't owe you anything. 

• Upvote 3

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I fail to see the relevance of these threads. It doesn't matter to any of you how far I hit each club. I don't hit my driver as long as I want to which is why I'm not a single digit HC. It doesn't matter what my average length is. What matters is how consistently I control ball flight. If you hit your 9i 160, that's wonderful, but can you flight it down into a stiff wind to a pin that's 140 away. How consistently do you hit it 160? Are you often short and right? The question is, can you control your ball?

- Shane

3 hours ago, Hatchman said:

Turned into another great thread.  WTF.

This thread had always been contentious. A high percentage of golfers will over estimate their averages if someone is foolish enough to ask the question. It can then turn into a giant pissing contest.

A better thread would be "How Much Less Are Your GameGolf Distances Compared to What You Thought"?

It's not much different than asking someone who doesn't properly track their index what they usually shoot. I've heard a few answer a "few strokes over par". Then watched as they shot 102.

18 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

I fail to see the relevance of these threads. It doesn't matter to any of you how far I hit each club. I don't hit my driver as long as I want to which is why I'm not a single digit HC. It doesn't matter what my average length is. What matters is how consistently I control ball flight. If you hit your 9i 160, that's wonderful, but can you flight it down into a stiff wind to a pin that's 140 away. How consistently do you hit it 160? Are you often short and right? The question is, can you control your ball?

Exactly. I'd kill to have the game of the top LPGA pros.

Jon

1 hour ago, JonMA1 said:

This thread had always been contentious. A high percentage of golfers will over estimate their averages if someone is foolish enough to ask the question. It can then turn into a giant pissing contest.

A better thread would be "How Much Less Are Your GameGolf Distances Compared to What You Thought"?

It's not much different than asking someone who doesn't properly track their index what they usually shoot. I've heard a few answer a "few strokes over par". Then watched as they shot 102.

Exactly. I'd kill to have the game of the top LPGA pros.

Well, to be fair, they might have meant a few strokes over par on every hole...

• Upvote 1

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, StefanUrkel said:

Bridge to sell u.

@StefanUrkel got a warning for the post and is on probation until January 3, so please don't respond to his comment(s).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I have recently started to carry a card on my body with information on my distances to the course. At the moment it looks like this:

Dist.jpg

But after today's round, I noticed it might be short by about 3~5 yards, so I'll use the new information as interim and update this card if new numbers hold

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/5/2017 at 1:38 PM, Alohaed said:

Can we really believe these magazines. Just saw this in my Email. 

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/how-far-do-average-golfers-really-hit-it-new-distance-data-will-surprise-you?mbid=nl_010517_daily_hitlist&CNDID=15910302&spMailingID=10175156&spUserID=MTMyNjM1NjYyMTAwS0&spJobID=1080401636&spReportId=MTA4MDQwMTYzNgS2

After reading the story, then following this thread and golfing with many people, I wonder how accurate this story is. 

Probably pretty accurate. 115mph swing speeds are also believable as well, but the average person probably only drives 200 yards. . .

EDIT: Actually, this thread is kind of obsolete for those who have Game Golf anyway. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 6:57 PM, Patch said:

... is pre stone age, with a little Neanderthal thrown in...

Hey, I resemble that remark!

Interesting thread. Average distances? I can say about this:

Driver 220

5W 195

3I 185

7I 154

9I 127

Yeah, I skip a few but you get the idea. Just last night at the range my son asked me if I ever hit a driver XXX. I remember the longest like it was yesterday. 329 yards in a flat, wet fairway. It was years ago and I was very Neanderthal after years of power lifting and swinging like an ape, even have a good brow structure. I just went after one and hit it on the screws. Not representative of my game. I bet I shot 100 that day, haha!

Custom fit RBZ irons. Taylormade RBZ driver. Some crappy old high-bounce Macgregor wedge and an even older Mizuno 5 wood. Haven't settled on a ball yet - still looking. Decades of football, weightlifting and boxing came together to create the world's worst golfer. I'm slowly correcting that now. 

Note: This thread is 941 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!