IGNORED

Average Distances - How Far Do You Hit Each Club? (And Don't Lie!)

Note: This thread is 941 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by slainte

Yep. I live in spreadsheets at work, figured they could help keep things organized here too.

I'm getting my clubs fitted today and will have him take down all of the important angles. From there, if something is off or feels right, I can change/stick with it.

Also helps to track of rounds, conditions, club inventory, etc. so I know what bets I owe between friends, how I'm playing comparative to other rounds and what I should sell a club for that I haven't used in a while.

Glad to see Im not the only "geek". Im a stat freak to begin with and with an analyst job its hard to shake. I know my stats on my three favorite courses so I know what holes kill me score wise etc.

• 1 month later...

Driver: 235-240

3 wood: 205

3 hybrid:195

4 hybrid:185

5 iron:170

6 iron:160

7 iron: 150

8 iron: 140

9 iron: 130

PW: 120

AW: 105

54: 85-90

60: Not sure (Varies)

Burner Superfast driver 10.5*

Burner Superfast 3 wood 15*

Burner 1.0 irons

spin milled 54*

CG10 60*

White Steel 2 ball putter

NXT Tour s/ Penta TP

Driver: inconsistent but if i hit correctly 295-317 sometimes longer, my best 366 yards

3 wood:  inconsistent but if i hit correctly 270-285

4 hybrid: inconsistent but if i hit correctly 250-260

4 iron:240 yards

5 iron:218 yards

6 iron:202 yards

7 iron: 188 yards

8 iron: 175 yards

9 iron: 164 yards

PW: 153 yards

52: 131 yards

56: 109 yards

60: 95  yards

Note: no wind

In The Bag Degree Shaft Distance
Driver Adams Golf Speedline 9064 - Driver 9,5 FUBUKI™ K-SERIES 70 Extra Stiff inconsistent but if i hit correctly 295-317 sometimes longer, my best 366 yards
Ping G15 - Wood 3 15,5 Matrix Ozik XCON 6 Extra Stiff inconsistent but if i hit correctly 270-285
Titleist 910H - Hybrid 19 Standard from Titleist inconsistent but if i hit correctly 250-260
Epon 502 4i 22 TrueTemper Dynamic Gold X100 240
Epon 302 5i 26 TrueTemper Dynamic Gold X100 218
Epon 302 6i 30 TrueTemper Dynamic Gold X100 202
Epon 302 7i 34 TrueTemper Dynamic Gold X100 188
Epon 302 8i 38 TrueTemper Dynamic Gold X100 175
Epon 302 9i 42 TrueTemper Dynamic Gold X100 164
Epon 302 PW 46 TrueTemper Dynamic Gold X100 153
Titleist Vokey Design® Spin Milled® wedges 52 TrueTemper Dynamic Gold X100 131 Full Swing
Titleist Vokey Design® Spin Milled® wedges 56 TrueTemper Dynamic Gold X100 109 Full Swing
Titleist Vokey Design® Spin Milled® wedges 60 TrueTemper Dynamic Gold X100 95 Full Swing
Note : All Distance in No wind condition and firm fairway

What the hell is the point of an 'average distance' thread if mid-cappers are posting their "inconsistent but when hit correctly" distances?  At least post a % of "hit correctly" for reference.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by bplewis24

What the hell is the point of an 'average distance' thread if mid-cappers are posting their "inconsistent but when hit correctly" distances?  At least post a % of "hit correctly" for reference.

For the record, I don't think most people read "average" as average.  I know I don't.  For example, let's say I hit 30 7 irons at the range.  15 of them will go about 170, 1 or 2 of them will go 175-180, and the rest will vary from 160 all the way down to 120 or 130 for the real lovely fatties.  My average 7 iron is probably somewhere in the 155-160 range, but that number means nothing to me.  With no wind or elevation changes, if I'm looking at 170, I'm pulling 7 iron.

That's what I believe these threads are really about.  Not average, but rather "What clubs do you usually use for these distances" or if you have to throw average in there ... "What are your average distances [on solidly struck shots]"

If I listed true averages, I'd probably have 5 and 6 iron averages that were actually lower than 7 or 8 iron averages due to more frequent mishits.  I don't think anybody would find that terribly interesting.

EDIT:  Just realized you were responding to the guy directly above you, not asking generally.  My bad.  (Also, for the record, I have the exact same 19* Titleist 910H and when I crank it, the furthest I've ever hit it - no matter the setting - is 230-ish)  Just sayin'

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

That's what I believe these threads are really about.  Not average, but rather "What clubs do you usually use for these distances" or if you have to throw average in there ... "What are your average distances [on solidly struck shots]"

I think you have hit upon the real reason most amateurs leave their approaches short.  They take a club based on how far they hit it WHEN THEY STRIKE IT SOLIDLY. They will then probably hit a less than perfect shot, and leave the ball short.

In your example 7 iron, if you were hitting to a front flag, half of your shots would miss the green short. So, instead of a chance for a birdie with a putt, you are now struggling to save par with a good chip.

People need to be honest with themselves in their club selection. The first thing they have to realize is that they probably won't pure their approach, and should select the club accordingly.

The amateur can't win. Your guy pulls the 6 iron, nuts it and it goes 20 yards past the hole so instead of putting for birdie he is struggling to save par.  The best you can do is pull a club where your miss is probably still playable.  For me on a lot of holes it is better to be short than long. There is a lot more playable ground in front of the hole.  Now there are just some people that are delusional. They might claim to hit the 6 iron 180 but the reality is more like 150. The 180 shot was a one time thing on a downhill hole with the wind at their back. Even when they hit the ball solidly they are still 20 yards short.

Originally Posted by Harmonious

I think you have hit upon the real reason most amateurs leave their approaches short.  They take a club based on how far they hit it WHEN THEY STRIKE IT SOLIDLY. They will then probably hit a less than perfect shot, and leave the ball short.

In your example 7 iron, if you were hitting to a front flag, half of your shots would miss the green short. So, instead of a chance for a birdie with a putt, you are now struggling to save par with a good chip.

People need to be honest with themselves in their club selection. The first thing they have to realize is that they probably won't pure their approach, and should select the club accordingly.

Originally Posted by bplewis24

hahaha sorry if I'm mistaken, because my english is not that good.. but that is my real average distance.. my PW "AVERAGE" is 140meter, 7 iron "AVERAGE" 170meter, 5 iron "AVERAGE" 200meter that for sure but my driver 33.33% goes to left 33.33% goes to right and 33.33% straight average 275meter. currently my driver,wood and hybrids are always my problem :(

Originally Posted by Harmonious

True, but the nature of being an amateur is that we aren't very consistent, and that leads to ....

Originally Posted by x129

The amateur can't win. Your guy pulls the 6 iron, nuts it and it goes 20 yards past the hole so instead of putting for birdie he is struggling to save par.  The best you can do is pull a club where your miss is probably still playable.  For me on a lot of holes it is better to be short than long. There is a lot more playable ground in front of the hole.  Now there are just some people that are delusional. They might claim to hit the 6 iron 180 but the reality is more like 150. The 180 shot was a one time thing on a downhill hole with the wind at their back. Even when they hit the ball solidly they are still 20 yards short.

Exactly.  It is pretty rare that there is less trouble beyond a green than there is short, so I would much rather play for that solid shot and be short in the fairway/rough, than play for the mishit, and hit it well and be in the rough/hazard long.

That said, I'm taking other things into consideration, so your example (Harmonious) isn't really accurate.  If it's 170 to a pin that is on the front of the green, then I will absolutely use the 6 and play for a long miss so I'll still be on the green.  (Assuming that is, that its a big enough green that a solidly hit 6 isn't going over)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

For the record, I don't think most people read "average" as average.  I know I don't.  For example, let's say I hit 30 7 irons at the range.  15 of them will go about 170, 1 or 2 of them will go 175-180, and the rest will vary from 160 all the way down to 120 or 130 for the real lovely fatties.  My average 7 iron is probably somewhere in the 155-160 range, but that number means nothing to me.  With no wind or elevation changes, if I'm looking at 170, I'm pulling 7 iron.

If I listed true averages, I'd probably have 5 and 6 iron averages that were actually lower than 7 or 8 iron averages due to more frequent mishits.  I don't think anybody would find that terribly interesting.

Of course you'd pull your 7-iron. What are you supposed to do, pull your 182 yard club which will leave you a 30 foot downhill putt 50% of the time if you're lucky. Or it'll leave you in the trees or fescue about 25% of the time if the pin is past the middle of the green.

I aim ~ 5 paces short of the pin and try not to play a lot of spin. I like the ball to check within a couple feet with no suck back. Misses are long as often as short and the short ones always seem to be playable. We're told to work like crazy on our chipping and putting aren't we? I assumed it was on the off chance we missed the green.

Originally Posted by Vinniet

Driver: 235-240

3 wood: 205

3 hybrid:195

4 hybrid:185

5 iron:170

6 iron:160

7 iron: 150

8 iron: 140

9 iron: 130

PW: 120

AW: 105

54: 85-90

60: Not sure (Varies)

I've previously remarked that this is almost exactly what I hit.  I just bought a RBZ 3 wood - now I hit exactly the above, except I hit my 3 wood consistently 220+ (GPS calculated).  Never been a believer in hype... but there is it.

All men are frauds.  The only difference between them is some men admit it.  I myself deny it. - HLM

These are all rough estimates, I have yet to use a GPS that manages my distances because ****ING GOLFSHOT HASN'T UPDATED TO 3.0 on ANDROID YET. /end rant

My driver, I have no idea.

My 3 wood, off the tee I'm like 240, ground Im about 220ish.

3Hybrid I'm about 207ish.

4iron I'm around 195ish.

5iron is around 180ish.

6iron is around 170ish.

7iron around 160ish.

8iron is around 150ish.

9iron is around 135ish.

Pw is around 125ish,

Aw is around 112,

Sw is around 105

Lw is around 90.

Putter is around 60 yards. (lol)

2013 Nike VR_S Covert Performance Driver

2013 Nike VR_S Covert Perfomance 15° 3W

18° Burner 1.0 Superlaunch Rescue Hybrid

:mizuno: 4-PW MP-69 Irons

50°, 54° & 58° ATV wedges

Classic Collection #1 Black Putter

:bridgestone: Tour B330 Balls

2013 Tour v3 Laser Rangefinder w/ Jolt Technology

You don't know what pressure is until you play for five bucks with only two bucks in your pocket. -Lee Trevino

Driver: 215 yds.

3 Wood: 200 yds.

5 Wood: 190 yds.

4 Iron: 175 yds.

5 Iron: 165 yds.

6 Iron: 155 yds.

7 Iron: 145 yds.

8 Iron; 135 yds.

9 Iron: 125 yds.

PW: 110-115 yds.

AW:100 yds.

SW: 80 yds.

LW: 65 yds. and in.

Putter:  Classic Black Platinum 1

Driver:  R1 Stiff flex

3 Wood:  AMP - Regular flex, 15 degrees

3 Hybrid:  Baffler T-Rail - Regular flex, 19 degrees

Irons: :tmade: MC Forged - PW-4

Wedges: :cleve: 588 RTX 2.0 Tour Blade Black Satin - 52.10 and 58.10

Ball:  Pro V1x

@pmm5557: I'm pretty much the same in length as you, and am trying to get a little bit more distance from my driver and woods the last few months. So goofed around with the club pro at the range last week, and was shocked to find out my swingspeed was only 95 mph at best (still hitting 'em straight). Could get over that (maxed at 117), but with a wicked slice. Wicked enough not to be fixed with a stronger left hand grip...

• 1 month later...

These are my driving range distances, so I would take about 5-10 yards off when playing:

Driver: 265
Hybrid (20 deg): 210
4I: 195
5I: 185
6I: 175
7I: 160
8I: 150
9I: 140
PW: 130

GW: 115
SW: 100

Currently playing with a 2006 set of Callaway Big Bertha irons, with no 3 iron.  Moving up to a new/old set of X-12's, with softer lofts.

Driver: Callaway RAZR Fit - 9.5* Stiff

Woods: TaylorMade R11S - 3W Stiff, TaylorMade R11 Ti - 5W Stiff

Irons: Callaway X-12 - 3-PW Uniflex

Wedges: TaylorMade Rocketballz 50* AW - Cleveland 588 RTG 56* SW

Putter: Odyssey Sabertooth 2

driver - 240-270

3w - 220-230

5w - 210

4h - 185-190

5i - 190

6i - 175

7i - 160

8i - 140

9i - 120

pw - 100

putter - 30ft

I'm 5' 8" so no huge swing arch. Also for my wedges it will change for what danger is there, I don't think there are any right or wrong distance on wedges.

In the Bag:

X Driver, 3w & 5w

Ironwood 4 hybrids

Putter: BigT special

Note: This thread is 941 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!