IGNORED

Early Wrist Hinge

Golfman91
Note: This thread is 4087 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Has anyone had any experience using the early wrist hinge swing?

What is it supposed to do for your golf game?
Does it help with consistency?

Any other details are very helpful!

Thanks!

In my bag...

Driver: Titleist 910 D2 9.5*

Fairway: R9 3 Wood *15, Tour Edge Exotics 5 Wood

Hybrid: Taylormade 4 Rescue Dual *22

Irons: 4-PW Taylormade Rac's

Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 56.11, Vokey Spin Milled 60.07

Putter: Rife Aussie IBF Tour Edition 34"

I tried the early wrist hinge after reading Dante's "Four Magic Moves." It seemed to work well for me, however my Golftec instructor opposed this method and instead, promoted a naturally set wrist. After asking why, he claimed that golfers that actively set their wrists during the back swing tend to start down from the top with active wrists as well. Thus, releasing too soon.

At first, I preferred the early wrist set move as it helped me achieve the wrist cock angle that I desired, and I think it worked for me because I had too much tension in my arms. But over time, I've substantially reduced my arm tension and agree that the natural set is now the way to go for my type of body swing. I simply rotate back with the shoulders until my arms are about level with the ground. I allow the club head's momentum to carry my shoulders back to near 90° and set the club shaft a few degrees above level with the ground. I then rotate forward with my shoulders and without any hand or wrist action.

i'm a fan...i realized a lot of my inconsistencies in my iron shots were due to inconsistent wrists from swing to swing. it is a lot easier to control the wrist hinge closer to your body and in front of you than it is when your arms are behind you. also i believe it helps me be a more controlled and consistent in my take away. i've found that it lets me put more pressure on the ball, and i've been hitting my irons a club further and higher than before. with woods its been a bit more of a challenge as far as the timing of the release so that i can get the ball on the release rather than hitting down on it like and iron

in my bag:

Driver: '08 Cobra F Speed LD 10.5 w/UST Proforce V2 Tour Flight stiff

Fairway: Adams Speedline Fast10 3-wood w/Aldila Wasabi stiff
Hybrid: Nickent 3dx 3H
Irons: Nike CCI forged 4-pw Wedges: Nike Victory Red 52 56 60 Putter: Rife Mr. Beasley Balls: Bridgestone B330-RX Tees: epoch

I just started doing this over the summer and saw some nice improvement in my ball striking. It is an easier swing for me. My thought is to create V with the shaft and my arm early in my swing. Then turn back and turn down. It actually is easier for me to turn shoulders back and through. Sort of wrist early and then just swing.

It is always a safe method to return to when I start to see inconsistent ball striking.
I learnt this soon after I started golfing. I now realize that correctly and timely setting your right wrist helps sync'ng shoulders, arms and hands from backing swing to through swing.

I used to do it and hit my irons fine, then got away from it for a while and my irons went down the drain. Went back to it recently and my irons were much better again.

I don't know why but i feel like it helps me stay on plane.

Just a warning about early wrist hinging. You need to monitor that when you do it, you keep the club in front of your chest and don't inadvertently use the left wrist to pull the club too much to the inside in the process of cocking the wrist. The feel is almost the same as the correct move, so it is difficult to distinguish which you are really doing without video. This move will produce a looping inside takeaway and a cupped left wrist, and is a really difficult position to recover from from the downswing.

Nothing wrong with early wrist hinge for many people. Just don't overdo it. I personally have very flexible wrists, so for me, it's a death sentence. I end up whipping the club from the start, looping it inside, and then throwing it from the top. You'll have to figure out which way is best for your swing.

Models for Early Wrist Hinge: Nick Faldo, Ernie Els
Models for Late Wrist Hinge: Jack Nicklaus, Tiger Woods
Favorite Practice Course:
Z Boaz Municipal, Fort Worth <<< Ben Hogan grew up playing here!
--------------------------------------------------

In the bag: 983E 9.5*, Fuji Speeder S RPM LP, 4W, Neutral Bias STAFF Ci6 irons, S (going up for sale soon) Tom Watson PVD 08 Wedges (G.S,L)... and a 4...

Toyed around with it briefly, but early hinge usually led to early release. Although when it worked I really hit some crisp iron shots, generates way too much spin though, couldn't control it. Not too mention I needed a bulldozer to replace some of the divots I was taking.

• 2 months later...

Here is what you should see when you make the early backward wrist break perfectly - only one knuckle of the left hand but two knuckles of the right.

The closer you bring this motivating force to the axis of the swing (the spinal column) the better the swing will be. Learn how one simple "magic move" (which you can easily feed into your current swing in just 7 minutes, even if you stink at the game right now) instantly uncorks so much hidden raw power, balance and accuracy... That you can go out tomorrow and launch a pin-point 230-yard tee shot with a 3-wood...From your knees!

I used to do the early wrist hinge, this last year I have changed to the later, natural wrist hinge and it helps me stay on plane, hit from the inside on the downswing and I've gained yards.

I found when I'd intentionally cock my wrists I would cup my left wrist leaving the clubface wide open, and it was hard to get it back to square all the time(inconsistant). Just didn't work for me.

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Here is what you should see when you make the early backward wrist break perfectly - only one knuckle of the left hand but two knuckles of the right.

It appears "Monitor" has finally defeated "Merrimack"!

909D3 (Voodoo, stiff)
King Cobra Comp 5w (YS 5.1 Stiff)
AP1 4,5; AP2 6-P; Vokey 252 08, SM56 14, SM60 08 (Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH Regular)
Newport 2 Mid Slant

• 4 years later...

Hey guys,

I'm reviving an old thread instead of creating my own.  I recently came into this, actually on my own.  I noticed my brother did this, and he is a pretty good ball striker.

What are your thoughts on this?

I believe I am having consistency issues due to my wrists breaking at different points during the backswing, effecting how the club is at impact.  This is likely due to small variations in my swing speed.

I found that an early wrist hinge gave me more consistency when striking the ball.  However, I also felt as though my arms were much more engaged and active.  Not sure if I am releasing early or not, but I don't think it's been a noticeable difference.  I figure instead of trying to perfectly slow down my speed to the lowest common denominator, if I use this method, I can get good strikes constantly.

Note: This thread is 4087 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!