IGNORED

the backswing

mike93
Note: This thread is 5620 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

hey
i've been playing golf for a few months now and i've recently noticed something i've been doing on the backswing.

when i take the club away from the ball, i rotate my forearms quite a bit which makes the club face open, so that the face is pointing about 20 degrees past verticle when the shaft is horizontal.

this makes me feel like im able to swing far more freely and i get the feeling on a slightly flatter plane.

this method gives me much more consistently solid impact. When i time the 're-rotation' of my forearms right, the ball goes further and straighter, but sometimes with a draw.

so i was wondering, should i keep this method, even though (i think) its not technically correct, or should i wait till Ben Hogan's 5 lessons book arrives in a few days and try and get a more backswing/take-away based on what he says.

sorry for the essay, any help would be appreciated

mike

If your not slicing the ball, but able to draw it nicely, don't fix what isn't broken. Most teachers like to see toe up or slightly closed at 9 oclock where the club is parallel and butt pointing down the line of target. If your open, you need some compensating move or grip to resquare the club at imapct, if you do.

Yeah, you could be right about the long irons. You get more side spin than with the short irons. It is going to be problematic to time the closing of the clubface perfectly square when you have to close it that much. If it works for you consistently then go ahead and use it.

My Clubs
Nicklaus Progressive XC Irons: 3H,4H, 5-GW
Ray Cook SW & Gyro 1 Putter
Taylor Made Burner Driver 10.5
Taylor Made V-Steel 3 & 5 MetalsMy Home Course: Indian RiverMy Blog: Rant-o-Rama-Ding-Dong

From what I'm getting is if your turning your forarms to get the face to open up your not making much of a shoulder turn if any and your only hitting with the arms.

R7 9.5 S Shaft
560 R7 quad R shaft
RAC LT irons
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum

Left forearm pronation (clockwise rotation) was a Hogan move to flatten the plane (without going inside) and maximize right wrist hinge (lag) in the backswing.

Squaring the clubhead by impact is automatic if you use Hogan's 'body release' where the clubhead closes naturally by following the core rotation around to the left. Unfortunately the popular 'crossover release' closes the clubhead by rolling the forearms which requires exact timing. A second disadvantage is that you sling the club down the line which stalls core rotation after impact.

A body release is effected by keeping your left arm connected to your left armpit as you turn and keeping the core rotating after impact. The club head squares itself without need for critical timing or manipulation.

From what I'm getting is if your turning your forarms to get the face to open up your not making much of a shoulder turn if any and your only hitting with the arms.

I think this is very true. I've seen it many times on videos at Swing Academy. Arms lift, forearms roll and the club is already behind you with minimum shoulder turn.

My Clubs
Nicklaus Progressive XC Irons: 3H,4H, 5-GW
Ray Cook SW & Gyro 1 Putter
Taylor Made Burner Driver 10.5
Taylor Made V-Steel 3 & 5 MetalsMy Home Course: Indian RiverMy Blog: Rant-o-Rama-Ding-Dong

Left forearm pronation (clockwise rotation) was a Hogan move to flatten the plane (without going inside) and maximize right wrist hinge (lag) in the backswing.

Yep dead on. Basically three ways to release the club.

Forearm Rotation Hogan Body Release Passive Release DTL from Body Pivot The last is the least used today (all swing, no hit). It involves a strong grip, and subduing any hit impulse. The hands and arms are propelled by the lower body. Was a very popular method back in the 50s, and still works fantastic today. See the book "Essentials of the Golf Swing" by John Redman (instructor to Paul Azinger) if you are interested in trying this. A very easy way to swing once you defeat all the forearm crossover habits. I would have to say, based on my experience thus far, the Hogan method produces best compression, but requires more core and upper body strength (it feels more to me like swatting the ball with the body, than a smooth flowing swing). Check out slicefixer on golfwrx.com if you want to try this methodology. It's a great way to get the feel of ball compression. The forearm rotation method is the least accurate and requires the greatest number of compensations. It is however the most commonly taught. Why? Um... who knows...
Favorite Practice Course:
Z Boaz Municipal, Fort Worth <<< Ben Hogan grew up playing here!
--------------------------------------------------

In the bag: 983E 9.5*, Fuji Speeder S RPM LP, 4W, Neutral Bias STAFF Ci6 irons, S (going up for sale soon) Tom Watson PVD 08 Wedges (G.S,L)... and a 4...

• 2 weeks later...
I would keep that swing if it works temporary but would work on shortening the backswing at parallal or less. Try lower your rear shoulder so that it limits your backswing and slowly take your club back in a one piece motion. Start your downswing with your hips and extend your arms as in hitting a baseball, your wrist will break naturally creating more speed effortlessly and the ball flight will be more controlled.

I have been playing for 23 years and finally found that shortening your backswing keeps you accurate with all your clubs including your driver. Less moving parts as they say on TV about certain pro golfers.

I am now hitting my irons and driver better than ever and more importantly with confidence that I know that my missed will be a tighter pattern.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

I would keep that swing if it works temporary but would work on shortening the backswing at parallal or less. Try lower your rear shoulder so that it limits your backswing and slowly take your club back in a one piece motion. Start your downswing with your hips and extend your arms as in hitting a baseball, your wrist will break naturally creating more speed effortlessly and the ball flight will be more controlled.

Thanks, that sounds like real good advice. I was having a problem at the range yesterday where I was slicing and not getting any distance with all my clubs, and one older pro suggested I was not starting the swing with my hips, or following through properly by extending my arms. I will try your suggestions with lowering my shoulder as well, tomorrow at the range.

2011 Goals:
* Improve club-head speed to 90 mph with the driver
* Ensure increased speed does not compromise accuracy
* Prevent overextending on the back-swing (left-arm is bending too much at the top)
* Relax arms initially at address ( too tense)* Play more full rounds (failed from 2010)

Note: This thread is 5620 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!