IGNORED

This will be the story of '09 - Will Stevie be there when Tiger comes back?!

Quinn07
Note: This thread is 5394 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Kudos to the fan? For what? Being rude? The tournament should have thrown the fan out. As far as Phil is concerned, I've never been a big fan or his, but I don't see how he deserves being called a prick by Tiger's caddie. Tiger should fire this guy. No class what so ever.

I agree with you. In my opinion, sometimes golf fans have been too much "like gentlemen". For a change, it is nice to see some fans get "into it" as they do at the Phoenix Open on that one par 3. However, that man was crude. Tiger and Phil have strong supporters and some like to put Phil down. They probably were really upset with Tiger at the end of Sunday's round in the 2005 PGA at Baltusrol. Tiger was within a couple of shots of the lead and he had to decide whether to return on Monday to see if the leaders stumbled in and dropped back to tie with him. When Stevie asked him about that, Tiger said, "Let us get out of here. There is no way those guys are going to mess up that bad. They are too good." And Phil was the Main Man in that group, and thanks to a super pitch shot near the 18th green, Phil was the Champion. They made not like each other, but why should they? They are trying to beat each other's brains out all the time.

I will bet you that when Tiger and Stevie saw the cover of "Sports Illustrated" that called Phil "The People's Champion" because of the fervent support he gets from Metropolitan New York fans, they immediately stomped up and down on it. Good rivalries make sports fun, as long as it does not go too far. What would Jack be without Arnie? Bobby Jones without Walter Hagen, who cleaned his clock 12 and 11 in a match scheduled to go 72 holes in 1926? Muhammed Ali without Smokin' Joe Frazier? Phil is sometimes an "idiot"----he called himself that after blowing the last hole at the US Open at Winged Foot in 2006, but that also makes him human. He is like a train rushing down the track-------will he derail himself and crash or race along and win the race? I could comment on Tiger's persona and some of the things he did to people like Bob Hope (and he has never answered my repeated emails about that snub), but I will demure. Otherwise, the "Tiger Cubs" will try to rip into me (and fail at that).

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to see Stevie jump the ropes in NY and grab someones camera.I do not think he would fare to well.

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

I would like to see Stevie jump the ropes in NY and grab someones camera.I do not think he would fare to well.

In the 1995 US Open at Shinnecock, Greg Norman was called some "choice names" and one of them was not "Shark". When he tried to go into the gallery after one of the "fans", he was restrained from doing so. His caddy and his playing partners knew that the Shark may have been strong, but you do not take on New York fans "in their house" or the amublance people will carry you out of "their house". Stevie may be big and Stevie may be strong, but I will bet you three New York fans can "take him out" any day of the week. It is a tough City, and trust me, I have been there, and visited, but I would never want to live there. They play for keeps.

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

Stevie may have been on the out already and simply "doesn't care" anymore, hence the comments. Pure speculation but if that's true it would make sense and not surprise me.

maybe and not looking good for stevie's future employment, at least on the lpga tour

They will beat their swords into golf clubs and their spears into putters. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. Old Tom Morris 2:4

I love that everyone has somehow called Stevie a loser and/or classless. Then they go on to describe his job like he owns a sweat shop and abuses puppies and has no right to describe PHIL MICKELSON as a prick. Yes the guy is a caddie and yes what he said is wrong, but he's no less of a person because he is lucky enough to be Tiger's caddie or a caddie of a professional golfer for that matter.

Maybe it's the Canadian in me, but I find what he said pretty humorous whether it was appropriate or not. I like seeing this side of pro athletes/caddies , reminds me that they are human. I guess I could just follow JD's career for that.

|Callaway I-MIX FT-9  - Driver | Callaway Diablo Octane - 3 Wood | Callaway Diablo Edge Tour [3H & 4H] - Hybrids | Callaway X-forged 2009 - Irons | Callaway JAWS [52, 56, 60] - Wedges | SC Studio Style Newport 2 / Laguna 1.5 / Kombi-S - Putter |

Steve Williams is an 'interesting' character. From a number of places I've heard he thinks he has become God's gift to mankind thanks to being Tiger's caddy. There was this gem in a Yahoo news article.

'After the article ran, the Star-Times sought out Williams for clarification. He owned up to his comments, and offered up this gem: "I don't particularly like the guy (Mickelson) myself. He pays me no respect at all and hence I don't pay him any respect." Dude. You're the caddy. He's the talent. Nobody in the history of the world ever tuned in to a golf tournament to watch the caddies at work. Perspective, fella.'
Williams speaks with NZ/Aussie humour. In aussie land, everyone calls each other a prick, it is just what we do. Same goes with bastard. Aussies don't take offense to it because it is generally accepted.

It reminded me that a couple of years ago I watching the US version of 'The Apprentice' and there was a British guy on there using a ton of his British swearing vocabulary. Alas the NBC censor guys didn't know to block it out whereas anyone who used the word 'crap' was probably bleeped

Rumor has it, (and I emphasize rumor so don't quote me or refute I'm just reporting on well rumor) that Stevie was paid directly out of Tigers Buick endorsement funds and that his contract did not emphasize a % of winning like most caddies. Well now that the Buick money is out word has it Stevie is asking for around 15-18% of the world #1's earnings, the percentage in on par for most PGA pro caddies. Well 15-18% of TW earnings are not 15-18% of other tour pros and it looks like camp TW won't pay up. Stevie may have been on the out already and simply "doesn't care" anymore, hence the comments. Pure speculation but if that's true it would make sense and not surprise me.

15%-18%? I'd better drop those clubs and learn how to caddy PDQ

In the Matrix XTT Standbag:

Driver: Biggest Big Bertha 11*
Fairway Wood: Steelhead Plus 3 Wood
Irons: T-Zoid Titanium Insert irons 3-SWWedge: Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.04Putter: Pro Platinum Laguna 34" w/ British Open '04 headcoverBall: ProV1 Rule35 Playing again after a three year hiatus...

• Administrator
Rumor has it, (and I emphasize rumor so don't quote me or refute I'm just reporting on well rumor) that Stevie was paid directly out of Tigers Buick endorsement funds and that his contract did not emphasize a % of winning like most caddies. Well now that the Buick money is out word has it Stevie is asking for around 15-18% of the world #1's earnings, the percentage in on par for most PGA pro caddies. Well 15-18% of TW earnings are not 15-18% of other tour pros and it looks like camp TW won't pay up. Stevie may have been on the out already and simply "doesn't care" anymore, hence the comments. Pure speculation but if that's true it would make sense and not surprise me.

Hogwash, pure and simple.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hogwash, pure and simple.

That's probably true but I trust you won't mind if I consider that to be speculation as wells since there isn't any explanation.

Where I play: Mission Viejo CC and
long Beach Skylinks

In My Red Cleveland Club Count Bag Today;
Hibore XLS 11.5* w/ Diamana Redboard Flowerband 63 S 2009 Launcher 3WD HT 17* w/ Graffalloy Epic 87g S Hibore XLS Hybrid 22* w/ Graffalloy Epic S and 25* w/ Project X 6.0 CG2 4-PW w/ Project X 6.0 HL...

• Administrator
That's probably true but I trust you won't mind if I consider that to be speculation as wells since there isn't any explanation.

I don't care what you call it. It's not speculation, though - it's both a difference of opinion as well as some knowledge, not all of which I care to share. And my original post was short because I'm still catching up from my week in Myrtle Beach.

On the opinion side, Tiger was Stevie's best man at his wedding - he's not going to be leaving Tiger's side any time soon over a silly flap about Phil Mickelson or anyone else. Additionally, Tiger doesn't care much about his prize money - he earns 10x as much off the golf course. He DOES care about winning, and I think he'd give Stevie 100% of his earnings if Stevie asked and could make a compelling case for it. Stevie, Tiger feels, gives him THE best chance to win over any other caddie. Tiger would have a hard time putting a dollar cap on that, and 15-20% wouldn't be a big deal in the least. P.S. Among the "knowledge" is that caddies don't get 15-18%. That's not the standard rate.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I like steve williams. I bet tiger loves the fact that he can almost talk through Steve...

It would take a lot for something to get between Tiger and Steve, but Steve needs to constantly be aware of the fate of Fluff Cowan. He had a nice gig on Tiger's bag till he revealed some private information regarding his boss.

Tiger may have little love for Phil, but he may not want that in the headlines. SubPar

I don't care what you call it. It's not speculation, though - it's both a difference of opinion as well as some knowledge, not all of which I care to share. And my original post was short because I'm still catching up from my week in Myrtle Beach.

i heard the standard was 10% of their winnings when they won, and 5% when they dont win. is that correct? or is that wrong too?

you know, this falls right into place with my first impression of steve, which i think was the video where tiger was at the masters and had that unbelievable chip-in from off the green where it stopped at the lip of the cup and hung there, then finally fell in. tiger was walking up to get his ball, doing the fist pump, and about two paces behind him is steve, doing his best mimic of tiger, mouthing "YEAH!" and pumping his fist triumphantly as well. i thought "who the hell are you, dude?" i guess in my mind he should've been walking up and, if anything, just smiling proudly. "yeah, that's my boss. my boss just did that." instead it looked like, to me, he was acting like that ball wouldn't have gone in if he hadn't of been there to assist in the matter, that he had just made some kind of contribution that made all this possible. i do admire someone who speaks their mind, but this guy has just always struck me as thinking he's more than he actually is.

i heard the standard was 10% of their winnings when they won, and 5% when they dont win. is that correct? or is that wrong too?

Steve makes about $1,250,000 a year and Tiger gives him nice gifts, like a

Ford GT . Caddies are paid on the basis of how well their player performs: a base salary of $1,000 a week plus 5% of the tournament purse, 7% of a top 10 and 10% for a victory. ( Source ) SubPar

Tiger won't fire Stevie, period.

For the most part, Tiger wants to be Switzerland (i.e., neutral) on all matters except for winning golf tournaments. The worst part of this situation for Tiger is the fact that he is going to have to answer about 10,000,000 questions about it over the next few years.

If you read Phil's quote, I think he is actually taking a bit of a shot at Tiger and I don't think it got by Tiger un-noticed. So, I really don't think Tiger really cares about what was said on a personal level with Phil, as much as how it will impact his future dealings with the media.

Regarding Stevie's behavior, it isn't so much about being classless or crude, but really just stupidity. I mean, what the fukk was he thinking -- that such comments would go un-reported? IDIOT

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

Tiger won't fire Stevie, period.

Phil's response is a true masterpiece of understatement. I absolutely loved it. and would have loved to see Tiger's reaction when he first saw it.

The soap opera that is the PGA Tour continues.......

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Phil's response is a true masterpiece of understatement. I absolutely loved it. and would have loved to see Tiger's reaction when he first saw it.

Yeah I read Phil's repsonse to be a not-so-subtle dig at Tiger more than at Steve, insinuating that Tiger is a no-class guy for having a no-class loudmouth caddy.

As mentioned earlier, Tiger's money comes mainly from things other than tournament winnings. The Tiger 'brand' is the most valuable thing. Steve popping off at the mouth might not affect his ability to win, but if it tarnishes Tiger's image enough, his sponsors will get antsy. Tiger likes to win - sure, he is DRIVEN to win - but not just at golf. Tiger likes earning and once Steve gets in the way of that (and he may not have done enough bad this time) there will be a reckoning.

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

Steve makes about $1,250,000 a year and Tiger gives him nice gifts, like a

oh cool, i was close, heh... and the Ford GT is an AWESOME car. i test drove one 3 years ago on an airstrip in St Petersburg, Florida and the thing was just freaking awesome. i just wish i could afford the payments on one of them.

Note: This thread is 5394 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!