IGNORED

ProV1's - Enough Already

Note: This thread is 3460 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just finished law school and studdying for the BAR exam... so you're way off base. Just a heads up... point of a rant... it doesn't need to make sense, it's just a little tick I have, and obviously some people agreed with me. And, no, I'm not God's gift to golf, hell... I'm not even good, but if it makes you feel better to think the things you do, then go ahead. My posts were'nt mean spirited like yours, but I guess you just don't have a lot of class. I also notice that you may be the person who is an ass to play with... I often go out as a single if my wife or brother-in-law aren't around, and I like playing with people of all abilities and income levels... you seem like you might be biased against people who make less than you or people who are better at golf then you, but whatever makes you feel better about yourself.

I've been watching this thread (d)evolve and have to say that the splits between spendy/thrifty and duffer/player were totally predictable. You tend to see these conflicts on really nice munis with low rates for locals.

Here's one example Regardless of your personal definition of 'rant', what you did with this topic was like going into a crowded party, cutting a giant silent fart in the middle of the room, and then sneaking off to watch everyone blame one another. Entertaining? Yes. Mildly divisive? Yes. I think, being a law student, you have to be smart enough to know you can't get away with the "what, who, me?" defense here.

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

I consider high cappers playing tour caliber balls in the same catagory as them playing with tour caliber equipment. Certainly it's their money to do with as they please, but one can make the case that their choices aren't exactly maximizing their playing potential. Big deal right, but this also begs the question of why someone would choose to play with equipment (balls, clubs, etc.) that actually hurt their game instead of helping it? Obviously one explanation could be that the person considers the "better" equipment to be the best choice for their game (an altogether reasonable assumption to make), but there is also the cachet, the exclusivity, that comes from playing with the best, most expensive stuff. You can afford it (you've got money), and everyone else at the course envies your bag (analogous to the old fart driving the AMG). Generally speaking I've got to laugh at people who feel that way. That's not to say people who play ProV1's all feel that way, but I sure do seem to find a lot of tour caliber balls as I walk the course.

Oh yes and for the record I am extremely cheap, so no doubt that colors my impressions of the game and those who play it...

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

geez, that was kind of harsh. all the single digit handicappers you've come across have crappy jobs and little or no savings, huh??? unbelievable. some of us have a lot of time for golf because we own our own companies and take the time off to play when we want....

...... I said NOT ALL. My intent of the post was not to offend single digit HCs. Trust me, I would love to be part of the club. I've just seen it a lot on here that people take offense to the equipment people choose to play.

R9 460 9.5
R9 3-Wood
Irons AP1 4-PW
Wedge X-Forged 62*, 56*, 50*
Studio Select 34" MS Newport 2 TP Red

Chief, you make a good point there. I know of a few quite well-off guys who have top of the line tour stuff that gathers dust. They won't play because they cannot hit them and the performance learning curve is too flat at the start. No doubt some of this is the misguided idea that expensive = better, and some of it is pure ego. I suppose it's different for everyone. Other people end up with equipment/balls because they are hand-me-downs or gifts. Sneering at an 11 year old who plays with Pro V1s might make someone feel good about themselves, but I know a girl who gets them for winning putting contests with her coach, so she plays them (and why not? she shoots around 90 from the men's whites). My first set of clubs were some hand-me-down blades. I quickly switched to cavity backs and only after a few years have now moved to cut-muscle. There can be a lot of reasons why someone is playing equipment that might not be suited to them. Sometimes it's ignorance, sometimes ego, sometimes they just don't care, and sometimes it's out of necessity. We can never know by just looking at the person and judging.

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

Regardless of your personal definition of 'rant', what you did with this topic was like going into a crowded party, cutting a giant silent fart in the middle of the room, and then sneaking off to watch everyone blame one another.

Hmmmm...

Maybe this says something about me but what I always do at a crowded party when I cut a really loud fart is blame the pretty girl standing next to me (usually the wife although not always).

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

Regardless of your personal definition of 'rant', what you did with this topic was like going into a crowded party, cutting a giant silent fart in the middle of the room, and then sneaking off to watch everyone blame one another.

Nice analogy... OK I admit it, I did intend to provoke some heated discussion... I thrive on debate, so it's in my nature. I just wanted to keep the personal attacks to a minimum... i.e. "must make minimum wage", or my initial response to that saying "Steve might be an ass to play with". Controversy can be ineresting, ao long as we don't get out of hand.

My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

Good rant but I can't be doing with reading all the thread. Agree in parts though but it's their money which leads me on to....

I love that hackers play them. I can go in the bush and get them free.

Absolutely! Long may it continue

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I prefer the feel of the ProV1 to any other ball I play, but agree that the price is a bit excessive. The NXT tour doesn't have the feel and isn't quite as good around the greens but it is definitely easier on the bank account, and possibly a bit longer this time of the year for me. . I'll still play ProV's in the summer and when it really counts but when the leaves are falling I'll save my money.

R5 TP
3 & 7 Woods (old Steelheads)
MP52's STX "UR the Key" Putter (black insert)Pro V1 and NXT Tour

Heh guys. Newbie to the forum here. I haven't quite figured out how to get all of my personal information sorted out but I am not a 36 handicap like my info says. I rarerly have felt the need to spend the money on prov 1 as well. I would rather save a bit and play a precept u tri tour which was a great ball for half the price. Yes the prov 1 is better, particularly on partial wedge shots, however one can learn to account for the spin of a lesser ball when they play with it daily.

OK... this is a little bit of a rant...

I love seeing folks play them....keep spending the $$$$.....any money spent on golf is great for the game as far as I'm concerned.

They do feel great coming off the putter and wedges. The more high handicappers playing them the better....that means more of the balls I find in the woods looking for my errant drives will be ProV1 quality balls.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

THe only thing i can equate to this argument is 25 hdcp's using scotty cameron putters, sure they would be just as well off using a less expensive putter with some forgiveness, however they like the feel/prestige/status or they actually think its a more effective tool, which for 99% of golfers will result in a more enjoyable golfing experience, better stuff= more confidence= more fun. i would hate to think that people are having fun while playing golf. i play prov1's until i find something i like as much, and ive tried them all

I love seeing folks play them....keep spending the $$$$.....any money spent on golf is great for the game as far as I'm concerned.

I certainly agree with this! Buy as many as you can, and buy them for your relatives too, even if they don't play golf!

Signed, An FO Shareholder

In the Matrix XTT Standbag:

Driver: Biggest Big Bertha 11*
Fairway Wood: Steelhead Plus 3 Wood
Irons: T-Zoid Titanium Insert irons 3-SWWedge: Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.04Putter: Pro Platinum Laguna 34" w/ British Open '04 headcoverBall: ProV1 Rule35 Playing again after a three year hiatus...

scotty putters aren't any harder to hit then others i play a scotty and well it is better then the putter i played previously but when i put the tape on it that shows you were you hit it i hit center every time

driver. taylormade tour burner tp ust avixcore tour green 75 x
3 wood 909 f3 13* voodo xnv8
3 hybrid adams idea pro vs proto 95x
irons 3 no 4 5-pw nike cci forged blades
gap wedge nike sv tour blacksand wedge cg14 56* 14flopadopolous vokey spin milled 64 7putter scotty cameron classics newport...

there could be a better ball that i could play overall, but i just love the feel the prov1s give.

Burner 9.5 '09/905R 9.5 V2 HL
906F2 15 75g NV Stiff
735 3 - PW S300
MP R 52.07, 58.12 S300
Original Karsten B60 Hoofer 2

I play ProV1x's, for me they are the longest premium ball, must be the higher compression and they also spin more than enough for me, i've always put a lot of spin on the ball. For me ProV1x's are 10 yards longer for me vs the ProV1

If I could find another ball (and I haven't tried all that hard) that performed and felt the same and cost 1/2 the price, I might switch to them. Because I remember being a frugal college student.

Money isn't a concern though for me (when were talking about $50 vs $30).

I've never been more than a 13 HDCP, and that was when I was 14, so I can't really comment on whether a premium ball might benefit a higher handicap.

DRIVER: 905r 8.5 UST V2 75 X
3 WOOD: 906f2 15 UST 85 X
HYBRID/IRON: Rapture Hybrid/3 Iron
IRONS: MX 200 Dynamic Gold X100
WEDGES: 52, 56, 60 600PUTTER: Geurin Rife Two Bar BALLS: Pro V1xGLOVE: SoftjoySHOES: Reelfit "Do those pump up?"BAG: Sun Mountain

High Handicappers play pro V1's for the same reason as:

Why people who aren't racecar drivers buy Lamborghini or Ferrari--

Why people who aren't great basketball players spend a few hundred dollars on a pair of bball sneakers--

Why people who aren't software programmers buy the best/most expensive computers they can get--

Why people who aren't wine connoisseurs drink expensive wines--

It's not because we need it... it's because we can
Taylormade R9 TP 9.5*w/ Diamana Kai'li 70 S (SST PURE)
Callaway FT 3 Wood
Adams Pro Black Hybrid 20* w/ Voodoo NV8 S
MP-68 3-PW irons w/ KBS Tour X-flex (softstepped 1x)
Cleveland CG-12 52.10Cleveland CG-15 DSG 56.08 Vokey Limited Edition 60-V w/ KBS black nickel S-FlexCircle T Beached Center Shaft...

Note: This thread is 3460 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!