IGNORED

America converting to the Metric system

michaeljames92
Note: This thread is 5569 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

8 seconds. But I was disqualified as half of if was down my front.

Thats not true. In fact only recently the EU gave up trying to force this legislation on the UK and traders are perfectly welcome to sell goods in lbs and ozs.

Thats not true. In fact only recently the EU gave up trying to force this legislation on the UK and traders are perfectly welcome to sell goods in lbs and ozs.

The UK government has said it will no longer prosecute "minor" offences,not quite the same as "welcome to sell goods"

www.metricmartyrs.co.uk

In The Bag
Mizuno MX 560 Driver
Taylor made 3 wood
Mizuno HIFLI 21*
Mizuno MX 25's 4-pwMizuno MX series wedges 50, 56*/11 & 60*Bettinardi C02 putter4 bottles of pilsner,2 packs cigars

The famous saying:

" The US is moving toward the metric system slowly - one inch at a time"

As a scientist my work is in metric and my daily life in US units. I seem to have a good grasp for both. I was surprised that one of the Mars missions which failed was due to two separate teams on the project using different units (launch team and landing team at a later date). To save money there was not much if any overlap between the teams so the landing team assumed one set of units were used when in fact the other was actually used. It seemed strange - both should have been using the same units.

Driver: 400 SZ
Irons: Maltby custom fit KE4's
Sandwedge: Maltby Slider
Others: random selection

Golf is the ultimate compromise between metric and US/Imperial units with the underlying units of Swing Weight being "gram-inches".

Never in my life would i have ever believed that any kind of torque would be defined in gram-inches (which, strictly speaking, isn't even torque in mixed units).

dave

ps. I remember hearing in school in teh 1960's that the US would be totally metric by the 1980's. It clearly isn't gonna happen.

In The Bag:
- Wishon 949MC 10.5* Driver
- Wishon 525 F/D 3W
- Wishon 515 949MC 5W
- Wishon 60* Cx Micro LW- Wishon 550M SW (55*)- Wishon 550M GW bent to 50* - Wishon 550C 6i - 9i (9i bent to 45*)- Wishon 321Li 3i/4i/5i hybrids- Odyssey Two Ball Putter

The metric system is fundamentally better designed, but as others have said already, old habits die hard.

That's probably not even the biggest obstacle, though. For manufacturing work, it's important to specify sizes and tolerances precisely. Going from one set of units to another introduces endless opportunities for rounding errors. The rounding can't necessarily be done automatically -- thought has to be put in to ensure that two pieces that interlock are rounded to preserve the proper spacing. Given the enormous infrastructure in Imperial machine tools, etc, it takes a long time to convert.

I am pretty sure we'll convert "eventually," though. The metric system is more sensible and the rest of the world's already using it. It doesn't mean we'll drop all the old terms. Football will probably always use yards and we'll all still drink pints of beer. Heck, have you ever checked the volume of that fifth of bourbon? It's 750 mL, not 1/5 of a gallon any more!

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

In the Military we measure distance in kilometers. In Architecture we use Imperial Units in the States and Metric overseas. Structural and Civil Engineers use decimal inches (8.625" vs 8-5/8"). A mix is fine and has worked for me.

If God had intended us to use the Metric System we would have only had 10 disciples.

Driver: 907D2 10.5°
3Wood: 906F 15°
Hybrid: 585H 21°
Irons: 660 (4-P)
Wedges: Black SM52°, SM56°, SM60°Putter: Studio Select NP2Balls: ProV1/V1xRangefinder: Pinseeker 1500 TEGPS: SG5

Note: This thread is 5569 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!