IGNORED

metal spike golf shoe

Note: This thread is 3187 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have a problem slipping with softspikes, your swing/weight shift needs some work.

I friend of mine can hit a 6-iron over 210... barefoot. You don't need nails.

SubPar

personally.. i hate metal spikes. i dont see why you even want a set.

that said... theres a local muni close to my house that still allows metal spikes...nobody wears them on that course.

ive slipped and fell several times walking down a concrete incline in the parking lot/cartpath with them.. and they dont give that much more traction than soft spikes.. or they didnt with me at least.

ive played with tennis shoes before... when i refused to take the 2 stroke penalty after hitting my ball in a drainage ditch that had maybe 3 inches of water in it and i slipped and fell in it after my swing and got my golf shoes wet... i went into the parking lot and put my tennis shoes on and it didnt affect my playing ability...

if metal spikes are banned at your course.. dont even think about wearing them. if you dont get caught walking to and from the pro shop with them on, theres a good probability someone playing behind you will call in after seeing your spike marks on the green...

are they worth getting kicked out or banned over??

RBZ stage 2 driver & 3 wood

Original AP1 4-GW

Vokey 54.10 & 58.04

Scotty Newport 2

Shoes deffinately affect your playing ability. Why do the best golfers wear golf shoes? Because they help. If it made no difference, wouldn't one of them wear running shoes or skating shoes?

You should search Google or another search engine for metal spikes that fit into your golf shoes. I have never seen metal spikes on a shoe, so this is the only possible help that I can give you.

I think it is your choice if you want to break the rules (assuming the course doesn't allow metal spikes). I wouldn't think that you'd be banned from a course. You wouldn't have a problem "sneaking" in with metal; most golf courses don't have a security gaurd or a metal detector.

I just think playing with metal spikes wouldn't give you that much of an advantage. Maybe you'd gain a stroke, but is annoying those behind you worth it? I'll tell you that if I golfed and saw metal spike marks in a non-metal course, I'd be pretty angry. (Disrespect for others around you, disregarding rules, etc.) If I saw you after the round, there would be a few words exchanged. Just keep everyone happy; use soft spikes.

In my Ogio Ozone Bag:
TM Superquad 9.5* UST Proforce 77g Stiff
15* Sonartec SS-2.5 (Pershing stiff)
19* TM Burner (stock stiff)
4-U - PING i10 White dot, +1.25 inches, ZZ65 stiff shafts55*/11* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)60*/12* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)Ping i10 1/2 MoonTitleist ProV1

I think it is your choice if you want to break the rules (assuming the course doesn't allow metal spikes). I wouldn't think that you'd be banned from a course. You wouldn't have a problem "sneaking" in with metal; most golf courses don't have a security gaurd or a metal detector.

you can hear them walking across the parking lot.. up the steps, across the deck.. towards the first hole.. and anytime they step on concrete... i definetly knew when someone was coming, back when they were still legal

RBZ stage 2 driver & 3 wood

Original AP1 4-GW

Vokey 54.10 & 58.04

Scotty Newport 2

you can hear them walking across the parking lot.. up the steps, across the deck.. towards the first hole.. and anytime they step on concrete...

Seriously though, you think he'd have a hard time sneaking around? Golf courses are not high security places. If he stays on grass for most of the time, or changes shoes he'll be fine. We're not talking about sneaking around the White House. Chances are, no one would notice and he could easily sneak on.

When they were legal, people could walk around on asphault and concrete. No one would say, "Hey, those are illegal. Take them off." Today, though, you just need to be a little sneaky. It's not hard.

In my Ogio Ozone Bag:
TM Superquad 9.5* UST Proforce 77g Stiff
15* Sonartec SS-2.5 (Pershing stiff)
19* TM Burner (stock stiff)
4-U - PING i10 White dot, +1.25 inches, ZZ65 stiff shafts55*/11* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)60*/12* Snake Eyes Form Forged (DGS300)Ping i10 1/2 MoonTitleist ProV1

No one would say, "Hey, those are illegal. Take them off." Today, though, you just need to be a little sneaky. It's not hard.

I sure as hell would- and even if he does not get caught doing it the first time, he will- and he probably wont be welcome back after that. Wearing metal spikes when they are banned is basically vandalizing the green

and part of golf etiquette is following the rules and having respect for the course which i do. I pick up lose trash put it in garbage bins, replace my divots and others divots, rake the bunker when done and replace at least 3 ball marks on every green. I do enough for the courses i play on, and show the ultimate respect for them...plenty of golfers i play with have no etiquette, and it truly pisses me off!

You are wrong. If you had

any respect for the course you wouldn't even be asking. It's not dragging your feet that damages the greens, it's wearing metal spikes period. They damage the grass plant itself. If you had played as long as I have you would appreciate the changes in the condition of the greens since they were banned. Even on a cheap public course the greens are 100% better than they were back in the old days. And I guarantee you that anyone who hears you clickety-clacking across any paved surface will call you to task for it. If anyone on the course staff catches you, I'll lay money they'll kick you off the course. At least they'll make you change before you can go back on to the course. My big question is WHY??? Why do you even want to use steel spikes? I haven't seen a golf course in about 15 years that even allows them, so why would you think that you have a right that anyone else is denied? Anyway, I can tell you from experience that the soft spikes available today are grippier than the steel ones ever were. If you actually DO have any respect for the course you play, you will forget this silly idea.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

personally.. i hate metal spikes. i dont see why you even want a set.

thats the nice thing...my home course actually does allow them, and since i play there more than anywhere else, i think it would be nice to have some. the only problem is going to play other courses for tournaments etc. I could always switch into another pair of shoes though.

This has been a nice thread. Here is my take on all of it.

Metal Spikes are a thing of the past. It does not matter if they allow a player to play a little better. The issue is the damage they do to the greens, to the root system and creating spike marks.

The sound of the spikes on the pavement will soon be forgotten just like the sound of the ball hitting a wooden head driver. Missed but forgotten.

If your course allows metal spikes I would suggest you work toward having them banned on your course. Your handicap will go down a little if you can get them banned. A few more putts will fall around the hole. And, your greens will be in much better shape.

As for sneaking them onto other courses, it does not matter if you get caught or not. Getting caught is not part of integrity. Integrity is doing the right thing when nobody is watching.

The question you want to answer is, if nobody but me is on a course that did not allow metal spikes and I have them on my feet standing on the first tee. What do I do?
Answer that question and you will learn a lot about your own integrity.

I was going to reply, but most everyone already provided my answer. I was surprised that your course allows spikes. If that's the case, best of luck to you finding some that fit your shoes.
My Equipment:
Northwestern 3-, 5-, 7- and 9-wood;
Goldwin AVDP Irons (5-10 plus PW);
U.S. Golf 60 degree wedge;
See-More Putter; Bushnell Yardage Pro 1000 Rangefinder;Golflogix GPS.

• 4 weeks later...
Not hard to find. Champ Pro Stinger's will work in the tri-lok. Coming from a baseball background I've been wearing metal spikes since I was 10 and I just bought a set for my golf shoes to try them out. I cant find anything on my home course's site that talks about them being banned so I figured I'd give them a go. These plastic things definitely dont work as well as I would expect metal ones would. I got mine for $10 on ebay. If I cant use them, no big deal, its only $10, Ill go back to the plastic.

On another note, if they weren't better why do a lot of pros still use them, even the younger ones? Just remember to repair your marks.
Driver 983k 9.5°
3 Wood 906f2 15°
5 wood 906f2 18°
Irons 735 3-pw S300, Golf Pride Tour Velvet cord
Wedges Spin Milled 53°, Spin Milled 59°Putter Studio Select Newport 2Goals for '10:1. Get down to scratch or better

does anyone know where i can get some? I have always wanted some, ecause i tend to slip sometimes. I realize many courseds dont allow them, but to be honest....i could care less. Im not the idiot that screws up the greens by dragging their feet, i have excellent golf etiquette.

Hey lighten up fellas! He said he

"could care less." That's good, right? I mean if he couldn't care less, that would be bad...

Just remember to repair your marks.

Hmmm, I don't think you'll be able to repair all the spike marks; pretty sure that's the point everyone is making. Even with people being "careful" these things just inherently damage the putting surface.

As for them not being as good as steel, each steel spike was 1 spike that didn't bend at all and it was either in contact with the ground or not. Compare to a set of soft spikes where there are more prongs per "spike" and they can actually bend and (theoretically) they stay in contact with the ground longer... I remember going with my dad when I was little and I too think the sound was cool but I have no gripes with the grip in my GF-II Foot-joys.
In the bag:
905R 9.5° - UST ProForce V2 65R
909F2 15.5° Titleist Diamana 75
909H 19° Titleist Diamana 80
Zing 2 3-PW Vokey SM48.08 @ 51° Vokey SM56.11 Unitized Leo

Im just sayin I want to try them. I know how much better they were in baseball so why wouldnt they be better in golf. The ones I bought have a few plastic prongs as well as the one metal spike in the middle.
Driver 983k 9.5°
3 Wood 906f2 15°
5 wood 906f2 18°
Irons 735 3-pw S300, Golf Pride Tour Velvet cord
Wedges Spin Milled 53°, Spin Milled 59°Putter Studio Select Newport 2Goals for '10:1. Get down to scratch or better

i've got shoes with both styles (steel and soft plastic). i wear the soft spikes when i'm playing (even though our course allows both) but its beyond me how they can be less damaging than the steel ones. the steel spikes have one single skinny spike while each plastic spike has six gnarly looking claws. how can they be less damaging than one single skinny spike? i guess i just dont understand the physics behind the softspikes. i agree greens are smoother these days but maybe thats because of better grasses and conditioning? the skeptic in me thinks its the soft spike industry simply wants to sell more spikes because the plastic ones wear out faster than the old steel ones.

Note: This thread is 3187 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!